PDA

View Full Version : How to draw mathematical functions?

alicecub
10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi,

since I am an Alice newbie, this may be a dumb question, but how can I draw mathematical fuctions, such as a sine curve, with Alice 2.3? I see "sine"-blocs etc. in the mathematics sections, but I am unable to use them. How does this work? How do I get a pen to to draw the function?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,

alicecub

MrMoke
10-21-2013, 04:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine

Check out the description of "Unit Circle". Should give some good ideas to try.

alicecub
10-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks, but we have a misunderstanding here: I know what a sine is, had this in highschool, I can plot this curve (and other mathematical functions) using Python/Pygame or Scratch, but with Alice, I am unable to pull over the mathematical functions bloc, let alone do I know what else is needed. I would die for an Alice example, some mathematical function would do!

Can anybody help please?

Thanks,

alicecub

chickentree
10-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks, but we have a misunderstanding here: I know what a sine is, had this in highschool, I can plot this curve (and other mathematical functions) using Python/Pygame or Scratch, but with Alice, I am unable to pull over the mathematical functions bloc, let alone do I know what else is needed. I would die for an Alice example, some mathematical function would do!

Can anybody help please?

Thanks,

alicecub

Hi, Alice does not have anything like a pen so drawing actually becomes a real challenge which usually involves sticking different objects using the vehicle method if it can be done at all. The examples in the book show how to get an object to move as a sine wave but not draw one on the stage.

What do you want to do?

mark

alicecub
10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks! I think I will stick to Scratch.

alicecub

djslater107
10-25-2013, 07:32 AM
This is a much more difficult problem in a 3D environment, such as Alice. One possible solution would be to add a large number of objects, such as circles, and drop them along the path of the sin wave.

alicecub
10-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks for this information! I was looking for an "all purpose" programming language, easy to understand for kids. But since I have even trouble in installing Alice on Ubuntu
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=53578#post53578
I think I will quit Alice.

Thanks,

alicecub