PDA

View Full Version : Making a Space Invaders Game

Morge
06-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Hello all,

I am in process of building a Space Invaders game. I have the world set up the way I want, however I need help doing all the important stuff such as shooting, enemy movements, and score. I know its asking a lot but I think I bit off more than I really needed to for this project. I will continuously work on this, however any help is truly appreciated.

Yes I have searched and tried to repair / duplicate things, however this isn't working in my favor.

Also I keep getting "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing." So it wont let me upload my game for some reason, if anyone knows why that is.

jrrTolkien
06-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Try refreshing the page, or opening in a different web browser. If that doesn't work, post again. I can give you my email address via Private Message, and then yu can email me the file. Then, I'll post it to the forum.

-jrr

Morge
06-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Still got the same error. I refreshed, opened a new chrome, even downloaded Firefox and none of these worked. Sorry. Thank you for the response.

jrrTolkien
06-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I PMed you with my email address. Use it to send me your file. :)

-jrr

fourbros
06-03-2014, 08:32 PM
How large is your file. If it's over 20 mb, you can't upload it onto the forum. That may be what your problem is.

Morge
06-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Ya it is 55MB. Did not even think to check it. Thanks for the reminder. I can't even send it via e-mail. Man I have really overdone this :o

fourbros
06-04-2014, 07:20 AM
55mb!!! What did you put in there to make it that large? If you take out the music and save the file as something else, it can make the program smaller.

Morge
06-04-2014, 12:01 PM
I do not have any music in it. I tried to replicate the original as much as I could (in the layout sense). It has the five rows each with eleven mobs in it, plus the player. I have also included some entry motion to give the game a little more. My fear is it will only get bigger (I am sure the way I have it written is wrong, as a lot of steps are laid out and not merged). As I said, I think I bit off to big of a piece here. I was able to get the file to jrrTolkien. My hopes is he can do something with it (as far as posting) or maybe point me in the right direction. Thank you again guys, it is really appreciated.

Note: Had to be shared via Google Drive. If anyone wants to check it out, can PM me your e-mail and I can add you to it, as long as it works.

jrrTolkien
06-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I got your email, and I am trying to open the file now.

-jrr

jrrTolkien
06-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Ok, putting it on dropbox so that everyone else can get it. Given the size, it'll take about an hour before it's ready.

-Jrr

jrrTolkien
06-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Ok, never mind! It finished calculating the download time, and now it says about 15-30 minutes. Thank you for your patience!

-Jrr

jrrTolkien
06-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Sorry, had to go offline for a little while, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcmispu7wr19510/MyGame.a2w

This should work. Post if it doesn't.

Morge
06-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Looks to be working. Thanks for your help. I look forward to feedback and criticism.

Morge
06-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Well I have taken out a few pieces and some animations as well as made some adjustments that has cut my game down to about 26 MB. Still not helpful, however I thought I would share.

jrrTolkien
06-06-2014, 11:44 AM
So what do you need this for? Is it a class project, or just a program that you are trying to make personally? And what did you need help with in the program?

-Jrr

Morge
06-06-2014, 08:10 PM
It is a final project I am working on for my IT class. I am having issues writing out to get the enemies to move. I think I have to much written in a sense that when I call for them to move Alice locks up. When it comes to the enemies are mostly missing and it freezes again.
Is there a way to shorten the method I wrote to make this work? Or is it to large a process for Alice to actually handle them all moving at the same time?

Morge
06-09-2014, 09:18 PM
O.K. I have chopped this down about as far as I should probably go. I have the player down. (I think). I just need someone to verify enemy ammo, and I need to work on the score. But the biggest issue I am having is getting the enemies to all move at once without Alice locking up or freezing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jrrTolkien
06-10-2014, 01:48 PM
What's your deadline for finishing it?

-jrr

Morge
06-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Final is supposed to be due Sunday, however we were given a few extra days. I have been at it most of the day. I am adding what I have so far. I have the game ending when the player loses all lives, but no score, and the enemies do not move. Then I just need to fix the enemy bullets and I think that's it. Thank you again for any help.

Including the updated file from today.

fourbros
06-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Why isn't it loading? This pops up when I try to:

Unable to load world

Alice version: 2.3.5
os.name: Windows 7
os.version: 6.1
os.arch: x86
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.version: 20.0-b11
user.dir: C:\Users\Randy\Desktop\Alice folder\Alice 2.3\Required

Throwable that caused the error:
java.lang.RuntimeException: NoSuchMethodException:class javax.vecmath.Matrix4d
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Property.getValueOf(P roperty.java:578)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Property.decodeObject (Property.java:641)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Property.decode(Prope rty.java:656)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1478)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1495)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1495)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1543)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadE lementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPa ne.java:42)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(Prog ressPane.java:86)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Morge
06-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Is that the most recent one I posted? It would seem odd, as that is the one I keep opening and closing to make sure it works. Though I would not be surprised, been fighting with it all day.

jrrTolkien
06-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Try re-posting it. That works 78% of the time.

-jrr

Morge
06-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Made some changes. I also could not get the game to open after I closed it the last time. My professor actually called me and had my download Alice 2.4 (class is using 2.3 due to textbook). That actually allowed me to open the game again.