PDA

View Full Version : Soccer game

AttackonJoe
03-14-2015, 09:58 PM
I'd like to make a soccer game. A REALLY simple soccer game. Would anybody be interested in playing it?

RavenOfCode
03-15-2015, 04:30 PM
I would love too! I spent hours trying to make one, all I got was a pk shootout world... it was a bit entertaining but others world would be nice look at and play too...

AttackonJoe
03-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Cool, I'll start soon! It's probably going to be one on one or something like that.

AttackonJoe
03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
It was difficult, but I finally figured out how to program passing into the game. Now I just need to add the rest of the players (I've got four so far) and a shooting system. Easy;).

Anyway, I haven't decided on the other team yet. I know Chelsea is going to be one side, but who should be the other team?

AttackonJoe
03-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Game no longer opens. Says that there's an error. None of the backups will open as well. Back to step one:mad:

x2495iiii
03-17-2015, 11:24 AM
It's always too bad when that happens. I recommend saving under different names from time to time, as that gives a new set of backups and compresses the file size slightly. Something as simple as a number at the end that increments works fine.

RavenOfCode
03-17-2015, 04:47 PM
It was difficult, but I finally figured out how to program passing into the game. Now I just need to add the rest of the players (I've got four so far) and a shooting system. Easy;).

Anyway, I haven't decided on the other team yet. I know Chelsea is going to be one side, but who should be the other team?

Real Madrid :)

fourbros
03-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Real Madrid :)

Yeah, that would be a good choice. I replaced Chelsea with Barcelona, since I didn't want to remake Chelsea again after my game was broken. So with Real and Barcelona, it'd be El Classico. I'll think about it.

fourbros
03-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Here's a pic of the game so far.

Funnybone
03-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Nice. I assume those red things are just tests for the final models?

fourbros
03-18-2015, 05:35 PM
The players are going to have heads (skin colored sphere's), but that's about it.
The fans in the stands are just going to be cylinders with nothing else. I'm not going to spend time on animating character models, I'm more concerned about gameplay mechanics. It should look good anyway once I'm finished. Here's a basketball game that I never finished. It should give you a good idea of what the final product will look like (just much more polished and actually finished and soccer :) ).

RavenOfCode
03-19-2015, 06:06 AM
Cool game, the aspects that you incorporated were cool, and i liked them, the only thing is the lack of having an enemy/team ai...

fourbros
03-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Cool game, the aspects that you incorporated were cool, and i liked them, the only thing is the lack of having an enemy/team ai...

Yeah, I had started on implementing opponents in the game (in this case, the LA Clippers) and some ai/plays, but got distracted by my pokemon game and never finished this game. I'm planning on doing another basketball game after my soccer game is finished. I still need to finish my Gundam 00 game and pokemon game as well.

RavenOfCode
03-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Yeah, that would be a good choice. I replaced Chelsea with Barcelona, since I didn't want to remake Chelsea again after my game was broken. So with Real and Barcelona, it'd be El Classico. I'll think about it.

Yep classic :)

Go Real! lols who do you like better?

fourbros
03-19-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm just getting into the sport, so I don't know much. With that said, I like Barcelona and their uniforms.

RavenOfCode
03-19-2015, 06:42 PM
I see, im newer to the sport as well, one of my school friends really got me interested about 2 months ago and i started to like Real Madrid. :)

fourbros
03-19-2015, 07:28 PM
I had animated this awesome looking crowd of cylinders to populate the stands, but all of the movement from the "people" made the game lag. So I had to spend a few hours deleting some of them and re-spacing the rest. I'm now on to the passing mechanics.

Funnybone
03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Bizzare..

fourbros
03-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Bizzare..

What is 'Bizzare'? The game? Your NCAA bracket? The sandwich you had for lunch? The end of Fate/Zero? What is it?

fourbros
03-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Anyways, here's another pic. This is what the game is gonna look like.* Take note of the cutting edge player models and the intricate crowds.:p

*Upon second thought, I may try adding some blue to the Barcelona models. And rain effects.

Funnybone
03-19-2015, 10:55 PM
What is 'Bizzare'? The game? Your NCAA bracket? The sandwich you had for lunch? The end of Fate/Zero? What is it?

I was talking about the probelm you were having.

But it seems that since I did something that Raven mentioned, I guess that's how people will treat me.

RavenOfCode
03-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Thats normal, its Alice it cant take that much moving stuff before it crashes.

fourbros
03-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Thats normal, its Alice it cant take that much moving stuff before it crashes.

It stinks; I have a decently powerful computer, so you'd think that lag wouldn't be a problem. Oh well.

RavenOfCode
03-20-2015, 11:21 AM
I have a good new (like 1 month old) PC, and it still lags with that same problem...

fourbros
03-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Ok, so the game will probably take a few weeks to make. I've got the passing mechanics down (and defense to a point), but implementing them with EVERY SINGLE FREAKING PLAYER (if you can't tell, it gets monotonous) takes a very long time.

Oh, and I'm posting about the game so I stay motivated to keep working on it. If I don't, then there's a good chance that I'll lose interest. Back to work.......

RavenOfCode
03-21-2015, 06:10 AM
I would suggest if you make a player add the mecanics then you can just copy the player with the copy button and he will have the same mechanics.

fourbros
03-21-2015, 07:33 AM
I would suggest if you make a player add the mecanics then you can just copy the player with the copy button and he will have the same mechanics.

Well me in my infinite wisdom already has made all of the players in the game, so your awesome copy technique can't be used. I can copy the Methods and stuff, and then paste them onto each player, so it's still not as bad as it could be.

I still have to modify the passing mechanics for each player once pasted though. Iniesta is going to pass differently than Cristiano Ronaldo.

PS: I'll get around to playing your game soon.

x2495iiii
03-23-2015, 09:39 AM
I had animated this awesome looking crowd of cylinders to populate the stands, but all of the movement from the "people" made the game lag. So I had to spend a few hours deleting some of them and re-spacing the rest. I'm now on to the passing mechanics.

Ideally, you'd make that a large flat texture with minimal detail and two frames of animation.

Saves on polygon count and doesn't move.

Unless the camera moves in such a way that the stands aren't always facing it. In that case, you'd need a flat texture for every crowd member, programmed to always face the camera. This is the technique most mid to low spec 3d games use to render crowds.

Your technique is a great idea to avoid both the facing the camera problem and the turning to face the camera problem, though.

fourbros
03-25-2015, 04:09 PM
So I figured out a more efficient way to program passing. I'm almost finished with Barcelona, and it only took 45ish minutes. That's good. The bad thing is that I wasted at least 8 hours to do 40% of it, using the old method. Facepalms

RavenOfCode
04-02-2015, 06:26 AM
i love football :D

Agreed :) Its a great sport...

Also you fourbros, you might want to put a new thread for the game in share worlds...

fourbros
04-02-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm going to do that. Right now I'm kind of distracted with other non-alice endeavors, so it may be a while before it comes out.