PDA

View Full Version : "The current method is not called by any events..."

DensetsuNoKaboom
04-23-2015, 04:16 PM
In the current version of Alice 2.4 (as well as prior versions IIRC), when checking to see whether the current method is called by any events, it only checks world events, not events associated with specific objects. Thus, even if a method is called multiple times by an object's events, the world will still display the "The current method is not called by any events..." message. Not a terrible bug, but rather annoying...

x2495iiii
04-24-2015, 04:32 AM
Hi!

fourbros
04-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Welcome back DNK :)

MrMoke
04-24-2015, 10:39 AM
You may want to post examples to justify your comment, as just because a method has been pre-built into an object doesn't mean that it has to be used.

DensetsuNoKaboom
04-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Here's a super-quick example world I made. As you can see, the "world.my first method" runs fine when the world starts as it's supposed to, but on playing the world Alice displays the message since the method is under "ground" in the Events window.

I guess Alice just hasn't heard of that method since it's so under ground.

MrMoke
04-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Don't see the problem.
Looks more like a programmer error rather than a Program Bug. "world.my first method" is the default main for a world, and it's simply telling you that a required reference was removed.
Clicking "Restart" over and over won't generate the error again because the play window is still open.

Funnybone
04-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Give a screen shot of it's layout, I might know how to counter it.

MrMoke
04-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Waste of Time

DensetsuNoKaboom
04-24-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm gonna try explaining this again, since I don't think I was clear enough at first.

When you play an Alice world, if the method you're currently editing isn't called by any other methods or events, Alice gives a warning telling you that this method isn't going to be used at all in the world.

However, in the example world, Alice gives this warning when "world.my first method" is the currently opened method, even though there is an event which calls the method. That's not supposed to happen.

Again, it's not a very important bug at all. You can work around it just by making sure to close the methods before playing the world. However, having to close the method or click through the warning every time you play the world gets a little annoying.

Funnybone
04-24-2015, 11:23 PM
That "method" might have to be deleted before the method you just made can be considered primary. No other methods should be opened. (if that's the case)

If that isn't the case, try using the primary method (world.myfirstmethod). Copy all of your event nodes to the primary method (said here above)

And if that's also not the case, I can't help you. :(

x2495iiii
04-25-2015, 04:37 PM
I get what you mean, and I agree it's kind of annoying, but it such a simple fix I never really thought much of it. In fact, one of the first things I used to do when I started a world was delete the pre-made start event. I didn't always want one, so I figured it was better to delete it immediately and re-make it if I needed it.

Funnybone
04-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Dude, you just repeated a portion of what I just said. *sigh.* Every time, this always happens to me. Why me?

x2495iiii
04-25-2015, 06:07 PM
You seem to take a lot of simple, innocuous things personally.

My post had nothing to do with you, just the original question and how I dealt with it in the past.

You really should calm down and stop being so defensive.

Funnybone
04-25-2015, 06:21 PM
And since when were GIFs not allowed here? Jeez, you banned me from using them, but everybody else can?

It's not like that's hypocritical or anything. :(

x2495iiii
04-25-2015, 08:56 PM
If they're disruptive and off-topic, I can remove them.

This isn't the lounge.

Funnybone
04-26-2015, 12:26 AM
Now you're just thinking I'm stupid.

Let's take this somewhere else or just burn it so we can end it.

fourbros
04-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Hey Funnybone, who's that in your avatar? I was wondering if you're just posting in a particular style because you're trying to emulate that particular character.

RavenOfCode
04-26-2015, 09:07 AM
I'm gonna try explaining this again, since I don't think I was clear enough at first.

When you play an Alice world, if the method you're currently editing isn't called by any other methods or events, Alice gives a warning telling you that this method isn't going to be used at all in the world.

However, in the example world, Alice gives this warning when "world.my first method" is the currently opened method, even though there is an event which calls the method. That's not supposed to happen.

Again, it's not a very important bug at all. You can work around it just by making sure to close the methods before playing the world. However, having to close the method or click through the warning every time you play the world gets a little annoying.

Yep... I get that error... :( Kinda annoying... but a simple fix... :)

MrMoke
04-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Hey! Lighten Up!
At the risk of repeating myself, and in defense of FBone, when you click Play you are running a world, not an object.

In the attached program you can open all of the separate "my first method" methods for each object in the editing pane, select any one you wish, and play the World with no errors.

Notes:
1) The World event references all "my first methods".
2) The "world.my first method" contains no actual code.
3) The print statements in the Object.my first methods are executed twice indicating that the object-based events are unnecessary, and can be removed.

Funnybone
04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Hey! Lighten Up!
At the risk of repeating myself, and in defense of FBone, when you click Play you are running a world, not an object.

In the attached program you can open all of the separate "my first method" methods for each object in the editing pane, select any one you wish, and play the World with no errors.

Notes:
1) The World event references all "my first methods".
2) The "world.my first method" contains no actual code.
3) The print statements in the Object.my first methods are executed twice indicating that the object-based events are unnecessary, and can be removed.
This is a good example. For once

But sometimes it has to do with the "world.myfirstmethod" method, so if no other methods are considered useable, just use "world.myfirstmethod"

x2495iiii
04-27-2015, 05:16 AM
Hey Funnybone, who's that in your avatar? I was wondering if you're just posting in a particular style because you're trying to emulate that particular character.

That's Miguel from Disney's El Dorado. He was the easygoing, adventurous type, actually.

fourbros
04-27-2015, 07:48 AM
That's Miguel from Disney's El Dorado. He was the easygoing, adventurous type, actually.

Oh. Well, there goes that theory.

PS: Now that i think about it, I have seen that movie, but it's been a few years. I actually thought that the character was from Beauty and the Beast.

Funnybone
04-27-2015, 02:51 PM

"Oooh! Cuba!"

MrMoke
04-27-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm Sorry. I thought that this was the Bugs and Troubleshooting Forum. :confused:

fourbros
04-27-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm Sorry. I thought that this was the Bugs and Troubleshooting Forum. :confused:

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Funnybone
04-28-2015, 02:58 AM
Well, they brought it up, and anybody can join in on that, so..

Moving on.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
That, I can accept.

1 more thing just to correct you: Dreamworks was actually the ones who made El Dorado. Would Disney really encourage showing bottoms, and certain content? No.

x2495iiii
04-28-2015, 04:35 AM
"Oooh! Cuba!"

Love that part. Guy's been sentenced to torture and a lifetime of slavery, and he's just happy to go somewhere exotic.

1 more thing just to correct you: Dreamworks was actually the ones who made El Dorado. Would Disney really encourage showing bottoms, and certain content? No.

Good point. I was just going from memory.

And yeah, they would, but they'd do it under one of their many subsidiaries.

Another good point. Heh. Whoops.

Funnybone
04-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Love that part. Guy's been sentenced to torture and a lifetime of slavery, and he's just happy to go somewhere exotic.

I'd be happy to go to Havana.

MrMoke
05-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Yes! Please! Soon!

jrrTolkien
05-07-2015, 10:46 AM
I love how off-topic these things can get ;)