PDA

View Full Version : Program Crashes When Adding or Deleting Code

wbarnum
08-27-2015, 10:08 AM
This student's program runs fine and he can add new character objects. However, when he tries to add and remove a block of code, Alice generates an error.

Here is a screen recording of it occurring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKG8Ks8eAk

Does anyone have any advice or guidance? Thanks.

MrMoke
08-27-2015, 11:07 AM
I don't see any errors. You might want to add a few more specifics regarding the problem.
It can definitely gen errors if you try to remove an object that is referenced in the code somewhere.
Did you try to add/remove while running it on your computer?

wbarnum
08-27-2015, 12:21 PM
I don't see any errors. You might want to add a few more specifics regarding the problem.
It can definitely gen errors if you try to remove an object that is referenced in the code somewhere.
Did you try to add/remove while running it on your computer?

Thank you for looking at it MrMoke.

It is adding or removing blocks of code that causes the problem.

I have uploaded a screen recording of the error occurring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKG8Ks8eAk

MrMoke
08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
OK- That is a little strange. As I said earlier, I ran it on my machine Win7/x64 and found no problems when adding, moving, or removing code blocks.
If it's a problem with a specific machine, then it is sometimes recommended to delete, and reinstall Alice3 as a possible fix. This shouldn't affect the world files , as they should be stored in a different location anyway.

Note: If nothing works, the error submission allows both the error, and source, to be uploaded to the Alice team for review.

wbarnum
08-28-2015, 06:24 PM
OK- That is a little strange. As I said earlier, I ran it on my machine Win7/x64 and found no problems when adding, moving, or removing code blocks.

I tried it on three differently configured machines and encountered the same problem.

Can I ask you what version of Java you are using? I just discovered found this which seems to indicate (http://alice3.pbworks.com/w/page/59015092/Alice%203_1%20FAQ#eventBug) that newer versions can cause problems.

MrMoke
08-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Image of details is attached. Looks like 7 in my Java folder, but I also have JDK1.8.0 and jdk1.8.0_05 in there.

The Alice3 jre folder has 8.0.31.13

If I goto cmd and keyin c:\>java -version, I get 1.8.0_51

Crazy! Looks like someone needs to do a little cleaning. :-)

wbarnum
08-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Just in case anybody else comes across this thread while trying to solve their own problems, I am adding updates.

I found that I can successfully delete blocks of code, by right-clicking and then selecting delete. If I try to drag blogs off screen to delete them, the program crashes.

I recently found that if I delete the block that is marked in the screen grab, everything will begin to operate normally again, though I don't know why.

BruceRegittko
04-19-2016, 12:33 PM
I had someone send me a program that had this same issue and was able to reproduce it on my system. As a workaround I renamed the jre folder in the Alice3 installation and created a shortcut named jre to the jre folder in my JDK, which is version 1.8.0_51. I am now able to drag tiles in and out of the code area. Putting things back the way they were causes the bug to reappear.

I submitted a bug report so hopefully the next version of Alice will have a newer JRE.

Image of details is attached. Looks like 7 in my Java folder, but I also have JDK1.8.0 and jdk1.8.0_05 in there.

The Alice3 jre folder has 8.0.31.13

If I goto cmd and keyin c:\>java -version, I get 1.8.0_51

Crazy! Looks like someone needs to do a little cleaning. :-)