PDA

View Full Version : Java Code behind an Alice World

Racer_Prof
04-24-2006, 04:13 PM
At the workshop at SIGCSE we were shown how to "see" the Java code produced by our newly created world. I cannot remember how we were able to do that. Does anyone know? I was thinking it was a fairly simple "click" from the menu somewhere.

lanceA
04-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Are you thinking of clicking on the Edit button and then clicking on Preferences button and then under the General tab that displays, changing the "display my program" for Alice style to either Java Style in Color or Java Style in Black and White??

If so then after you make this change you will have to exit completely out of Alice and restart it for the changes to take effect.

That's the only way I know of to "see" the java code.

Racer_Prof
04-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks. That is exactly what I had been shown.

Jackie
09-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Does anyone use the "Java Style" in teaching to make the transition to Java easier? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing that?

lanceA
09-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Hi Jackie -
You did not mention the grade level you are using when introducing Alice, so I can only share how I use Alice.

I introduce 9th Grade students to Alice as an introductory course in the fundamentals of very basic programming concepts. I do not use the Java Style settings. That tends to confuse my age group.

Thanks to the wisdom of the College Board in their "wise" (ignore any sarcasim) decision to discontinue the Computer Science Advanced Placement 'AB' Exam after this year (sarcasim intended), I have had to revamp the computer course I teach at a dual-curriculm private high school.

This year I use Alice to introduce students to programming, then during their 10th grade we move to Visual Basic.Net, and for their 11-12th grade we program in Java.

I hope this helps and good luck, :(

alicefan
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I agree with LanceA that racer_prof is talking about the syntax switch in java.

http://www.kidslike.info/alice_syntax_switch_transition_to_editing_in_java_ syntax

According to that post, it is explained in the Pausch book