PDA

View Full Version : Math in Alice

killercatfish
05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
What is the main usefulness of Math in Alice?

Is there any way to use it to help make object move and act in more life like manner?

Thanks,

Josh

lanceA
05-26-2009, 10:03 PM
To answer your question: Math will not help a person to "...act in a more life like manner."

However, math will help you prevent the person from walking THROUGH walls. It will help the person know when his gun has no bullets or he has no lifes left.

It will help you determine when the ball is near a bumper in a pin-ball game.

But no, math will not make a penguin walk better.

Ayyamana
01-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Not necessarily, I used a function to determine the speed a chicken should walk at for it to look natural.

x2495iiii
01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
I was thinking about using math to calculate specific angles at which a person's body parts should turn to move realistically, as well as increments in which to move so that those movements could be put into a while loop and stopped on a dime by setting a value to false.

Ayyamana
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
How exactly would you use? What variables?

x2495iiii
01-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I was planning on having a maximum and minimum value which represent the very edge of the motion. When one of those edges are reached, the body part would change direction and the count would be reversed towards the other extreme and keep moving based on the counter using the increments I mentioned (a division of the total angle the body part would have to turn).

By doing this, I could have the person stop walking immediately after he's knocked unconscious, instead of having to wait until the animation completes.

jediaction
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Alice is not much of an Exactly Exact position program, its the basics

Ayyamana
01-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Interesting... Shoulda thought of it myself...