PDA

View Full Version : Alice 3 Supports Full Unicode / "Hello World" program from Alice 3 using Netbeans

DrJim
06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
A couple of positive results:

1. Alice 3 does appear to support the full 16-bit Unicode character set as shown in the first picture. Haven't tried everything, but it does seem to work with English, French, German and Chinese, at least. That should be a nice improvement for those teaching and working in other than English.

2. Even with my limited Java skills, I managed to create the classic "Hello World" program using Alice 3 and NetBeans. I did the Alice code leaving a "dummy" call to a Java method and exported that to NetBeans. Then in NetBeans I added the "missing" (i.e., not supported by Alice) Java code, and it seems to work fine - though the result (or any NetBeans result) can't be imported back into Alice. Seems like this could give a nice workaround for some of the Alice 2x features missing in Alice 3 - not to mention a variety of new capabilities. :)

DrJim
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Another positive result. In this case I added a "plain" message dialog box to fix the fact that the restart buttron doesn't work in NetBeans (see http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2712&page=7) .