PDA

View Full Version : My suggestion: the ability to save in-game progress.

Veryuhbull
07-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I would like Alice 3 to make simple the process of saving in-game. Say I create a game and say my friend beats level one, I would like to see a way that with a simple program in Alice, the player can load where he left off.

This would be more then a password system or the scripting backdoor few know about.

DrJim
07-14-2009, 05:41 PM
You can actually read and write text files from Alice 2 - but it's a fairly involved process. (Do a search of the forum for a discussion on this.)

This is one place that Alice 3 really shines - you can export to NetBeans and have all of the Java I/O capabilities available.

Veryuhbull
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
You can actually read and write text files from Alice 2 - but it's a fairly involved process. (Do a search of the forum for a discussion on this.)

This is one place that Alice 3 really shines - you can export to NetBeans and have all of the Java I/O capabilities available.

Oh, I have not meddled with the NetBeans deal yet. That is good to know. I am currently teaching myself to script commands in an attempt to make "save files" on my current project.

Is that the same thing you mentioned? "You can actually read and write text files from Alice 2"

DrJim
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I am currently teaching myself script commands in an attempt to make "save files" ... is that the same thing you mentioned?

Probably - see http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=1395&page=2&highlight=script - including the warning comments.

Veryuhbull
07-15-2009, 02:46 PM
That topic was the one where I started. Thanks anyway.:D