PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Alice 3?

flats
04-14-2010, 01:32 PM
The kenai page is outdated compared to alice.org, the blog has been dead for 2/3 of a year, and I can't even find a changelog anywhere.

Has there been any news from the Dev team? I was hoping to be able to support Alice3 in the classroom for S2 next year, but am starting to get nervous about things.

x2495iiii
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
We haven't heard anything from the team officially, but last I heard from gabe (which was about 2 months ago), the Alice Team still has meetings, so they're still doing SOMETHING.

Journeyman
06-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Why would you get nervous about these types of things man?

jerryweltman
07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
It would seem reasonable that after the beta nearly one year ago, there should be some status report. Even if it just says "we are still working issues", at least that tells us that Alice 3.0 is still alive. As it is, there is no way to know if progress is being made at all.

Can someone please publish a status report?

gabe
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Alice is still being worked on. We have 2 programmers. Total. So development takes time. But progress is being made.

jerryweltman
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks!

x2495iiii
07-01-2010, 06:09 PM
We have 2 programmers. Total.

Yikes. Out of curiosity, is Dennis Cosgrove one of those two?

gabe
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes. He is our head programmer and architect of Alice 3.

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Two?! Why can't you get anymore?

zonedabone
07-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Someone should make Alice 3 open source developed, and not like alice 2, but more like linux. I'm sure that some of us know java. better yet, rewrite ALice in jython. ;)

x2495iiii
07-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Yes. He is our head programmer and architect of Alice 3.

Well that's good. I figured he was gone. Glad I'm wrong.

Someone should make Alice 3 open source developed, and not like alice 2, but more like linux. I'm sure that some of us know java. better yet, rewrite ALice in jython. ;)

Great idea. Better than inching along at a snail's pace.

gabe
07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Two?! Why can't you get anymore?

We like being a small tightly knit group. It is our choice. Expansion is possible in the future.

Well that's good. I figured he was gone. Glad I'm wrong.

Great idea. Better than inching along at a snail's pace.

Alice 3 should eventually be released as open source, akin to many of the collaborative open source projects out there. But for now we choose to develop the core Alice 3 app internally.

King Gamer(gorit)
07-17-2010, 01:28 AM
I have a great sugestion. Please bring audio and custom models back into alice 3. It breaks my heart that the things I love about alice will be ripped right out.

gabe
07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I have a great sugestion. Please bring audio and custom models back into alice 3. It breaks my heart that the things I love about alice will be ripped right out.

They haven't been ripped out. Alice 3 was written from scratch. If a feature is missing, it's most likely being worked on or on our todo list.

In fact, sound does work in Alice 3 now. I'll see if I can post a more up-to-date release soon.

zonedabone
07-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Wow! It was built ENTIRELY from scratch? Of course, you used the cmu math module still, right?

Also, just a recommendation, but PLEASE include jython scripting in Alice 3.0. Youdon't even have to officially support it. it can be just like in 2.:)

BTW, just downloaded 3.0.0.1.1, and it's awesome. I just ad a problem where the scene would stop rendering a lot. I had to restart quite a bit.

Also, once the core is complete, I still advocate using a truely open source model, like linux. Alice, being built on java, is designed to be open source. Packages and classes are independent. furthermore, and you able to use Kenai for an open source structure? Then, netbeans could be used to edit, and everyone could help. (Trustworthy people only, of course)

Good luck on progress!

ecachafeiro
07-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Just my two cents that I'd like to see in Alice 3, since it is a work in progress. This is entirely from a functionality in the classroom perspective - I know nothing of programming so if this is ludicrous, please forgive me;

1) The billboards to be able to play videos on them.

2) Be able to interact with files on the Alice space.

3) Link Alice worlds - a trigger in one opens another.

4) Fully support exporting to webpages. That's a biggie!

Thanks!!

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-26-2010, 07:58 AM
I'd like it if you changed the default capture screen file extension to .PNG or .bmp. Go to any spriting forum and post a .JPG picture and you'll find out why.

kaweah
08-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Alice 3 is looking good, albeit mighty silent (a good-looking corpse?), and I can't really recommend her to my kids as-is, with the export to movie function seeming to be so buggy. The website is utterly out of date, and the project seems stalled out.

Two developers? *Whole* developers? Full-time?

Why don't you open up the sources, or at least beg for help? Someone might be able to save the poor girl before *all* her brain cells die.

Opening the sources could lead to a more feature-rich, extensible environment that could permit kids to take their Alice projects to a higher level.

Watsamax1
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Do you ask game developers to help? a game i play uses java. People could really help make the program better. JaGeX Game Studios uses java for there MORPG Rune Scape so id ask them.

x2495iiii
08-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Just don't worry about it guys. It's not gabe's call anyway, so all we're doing is wasting time offering these "suggestions."

gabe
08-15-2010, 09:03 PM
We have an updated version of Alice 3 online. Linux version will be up in the morning. I will see about getting a changelog posted as well.

hgs
08-18-2010, 04:38 AM
We have an updated version of Alice 3 online. Linux version will be up in the morning. I will see about getting a changelog posted as well.

I'm not seeing anything new at:
http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads/directory/
(http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads/directory/)

Maybe I need to look somewhere else? Also, it might be an idea to update the blog when you are able to release all the versions, so people get nudged by RSS. Thank you.

gabe
08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm not seeing anything new at:
http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads/directory/
(http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads/directory/)

Maybe I need to look somewhere else? Also, it might be an idea to update the blog when you are able to release all the versions, so people get nudged by RSS. Thank you.

I haven't updated Kenai yet, as we have another update that is going out shortly (a couple bug fixes that we discovered soon after the previous release).

Yeah, the blog hasn't been updated in forever. I'll make a post.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Aw man, should've waited 2 more days!

RobMikeMom
08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Is Alice 3 still in "beta"? I haven't looked at it in probably a year, so I thought I'd take a look to see what it's progress is. Is it ready for "prime time" - like using it to teach a 12-year-old? He liked Alice 2.2 for a while, but I think he could be jazzed if he thought he was also learning java right along with the visual element of Alice 3.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-19-2010, 04:41 PM
It's still beta.

gabe
08-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Updates are up. As stated, Alice 3 is still beta and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. It's being used here at Carnegie Mellon to teach two sections of intro level CS by our two Alice Team faculty -- Wanda Dann and Don Slater. There's still a lot of work to be done, but Alice 3 is capable of being used to teach with. The major thing it's lacking right now is documentation/textbooks. We have just started work on online help, so hopefully you should start to see some things appear online shortly.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-21-2010, 06:09 PM
We have just started work on online help, so hopefully you should start to see some things appear online shortly.

Oh boy!

flats
09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Updates are up. As stated, Alice 3 is still beta and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. It's being used here at Carnegie Mellon to teach two sections of intro level CS by our two Alice Team faculty -- Wanda Dann and Don Slater. There's still a lot of work to be done, but Alice 3 is capable of being used to teach with. The major thing it's lacking right now is documentation/textbooks. We have just started work on online help, so hopefully you should start to see some things appear online shortly.Thanks! I really appreciate the time you've been spending liazing with the community and the work you've been doing on Alice.

I was at CS4HS this year and hoped to bump into one of you guys to thank you in person, but no dice.
Why would you get nervous about these types of things man?I'm a teacher, but I'm also in charge of making the curricula for Computer Science classes. I need to know where the class is starting, ending, and how we get there in between, especially when I write the class description that goes to guidance.

davidabraham
11-15-2010, 02:08 PM
"Hope you will soon get the news form Dev team.
Don't get nervous on your decision. If you have surely agreed to support Alice3 then I am sure you will get success.

David "

labtek9
11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
I've told myself Im not going to try ALICE THREE!!!!! until it's done.

Dennis Cosgrove
12-16-2010, 12:16 AM

audio is in. select any instance in alice3. at the bottom of the procedure list you will find the playAudio. drag. drop. enjoy.

we are working on bringing custom models back. i saw an exciting demo from dave (COLLADA file rendering in alice3) just yesterday.