PDA

View Full Version : Battleship for Alice

teast
06-05-2010, 09:47 PM
As a class project in my Technology Systems class, my students decided they wanted to create a version of Battleship in Alice 2.2. We wrote to the company to get permission and they granted it. Our intention was to add a quiz to the beginning of every world so that teachers can alter it for reviews in the classroom. We got a review added to both the 3x3 grid versions the students completed. However, they ran out of time on the 5x5 grid. We had one student who was trying to get a 5x5 grid with two ships on it, but was not able to get the bugs worked out in time. At the following website, you will find what the students were able to accomplish having had no programming or modeling background. You can feel free to alter the code and use them how you see fit in your personal classroom. However, Hasbro did not give permission to redistribute altered versions on the web. Please honor that request so that we don't get in trouble.

http://www.nhj.k12.in.us/teachers/teast/battleshipwebpage/BattleshipWebpage.htm

Travis East
Indian Creek High School
Technology Education Program

x2495iiii
06-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Good stuff. Your students did well.

jediaction
06-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Very nice. Tell your students i said great job! If you wish. Show them Resident Penguin and my Hero's 1st mission. Im coming out with a new game and its gonna be surprising because its none like ever seen before, except in my album. Great job again!;)

gabe
06-07-2010, 11:47 AM
teast,

That is very cool. I am passing it along to the Alice team.

jediaction
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
And nothing else is cool? Like all out other games:o

gabe
06-07-2010, 01:20 PM
lol...I'm sure your games are cool too. If you have any games that you are particularly proud of that don't involve shooting violence, I will be more than happy to pass them along to the team as well.

Dameria
06-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Have you seen my tic-tac-toe game yet? It does not involve shooting and it was one of my best game programs so far. Also, maybe you could pass along some of the python scripting things that some people are exploring? I would really like to see more implementation of python file saving, maybe making a built in method to read from a certain file so saving games and leaderboards and multiplayer will be much easier to program without much in-depth python programming knowledge?

jediaction
06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
lol...I'm sure your games are cool too. If you have any games that you are particularly proud of that don't involve shooting violence, I will be more than happy to pass them along to the team as well.

Im working on one now. Its in my Album. All my games in my Album are cool too. Which ever you like, tell me

zonedabone
06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
For the jython integration, I want to work on that. Perhaps that will be my next project, an object you put in your world that unlocks jython.

x2495iiii
06-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Guess RP is out then. Whoop-de-LAME-hoo...

Guess you should get wong's Panda game though. Probably the most intensive "non-violent" game on the boards and the likely winner of the forum contest, given its the only submission thus far...

Bah.

gabe
06-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Guess RP is out then. Whoop-de-LAME-hoo...

Guess you should get wong's Panda game though. Probably the most intensive "non-violent" game on the boards and the likely winner of the forum contest, given its the only submission thus far...

Bah.

They have already seen RP. But again, they don't like violence in Alice worlds. And if they don't like violence, I'm not going to forward them project that will upset them. How many teachers do you know of that like shooting violence in their students' worlds?

x2495iiii
06-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I suppose it depends on the teacher. Most teachers I know would appreciate effort and creativity in most of its forms (with extreme exceptions, of course). For example, one teacher I know asked her students to make a replica of a building related to France. Most built Eiffel Towers of varying degrees of detail, but one made a re-enactment of a battle, complete with tanks and multilevel terrain. She loved it. Also, when my AP English teacher asked us to present a poem using any media we liked, I chose Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha" and wrote an Alice world based on an action scene between the protagonist and some fire serpents. She, too, loved it.

I understand it's a preference to discourage fighting and shooting and other forms of serious conflict, considering Alice was intended to include young users, but I also believe that the exclusion of all such conflicts is limiting the possibilities of Alice.

gabe
06-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Good points. However, most of what I've seen on the boards do not fall under historical battle reenactments or visual poetry. They tend to be shooting things for the sake of entertainment. Which is a perfectly fine thing. Just not to the taste of my higher-ups. To each his own. :)

x2495iiii
06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Guess my point is that labeling it under one disdained umbrella term, "violence", isn't really accurate or fair.

gabe
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't understand why you are so defensive over this. The Alice teaching faculty here at CMU don't like violence in Alice worlds. Are there exceptions? Of course. But if they tell me they don't want me showing them stuff of this nature, it's probably in my best interest to be a little careful about what I forward on to them. If you feel that violence is too broad a statement, you are welcome to break it down into sub genres.

There are things I love which friends of mine do not. I would rather spend my time embracing things that we like together than convincing them that they are mistaken or finding exceptions to the rule.

I personally think it is great that people are sharing their Alice work with the world, regardless of subject matter. The Alice community is diverse and continually growing. I hope the worlds that people continue to build also reflect that diversity, whether they use guns or farts or chickens.

x2495iiii
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't understand why you are so defensive over this. The Alice teaching faculty here at CMU don't like violence in Alice worlds. Are there exceptions? Of course. But if they tell me they don't want me showing them stuff of this nature, it's probably in my best interest to be a little careful about what I forward on to them. If you feel that violence is too broad a statement, you are welcome to break it down into sub genres.

Defensive? Probably because thus far I've been put down by nearly every teacher or otherwise non-student on the forums who doesn't know me personally for being "too violent." My goal wasn't even to promote "violence," it was to demonstrate the potential of Alice for game creation and expand the object library accordingly.

I personally think it is great that people are sharing their Alice work with the world, regardless of subject matter. The Alice community is diverse and continually growing. I hope the worlds that people continue to build also reflect that diversity, whether they use guns or farts or chickens.

Well said.