PDA

View Full Version : New FPS

debussybunny563
07-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I am no longer working on this game. Instead, I am currently occupied with a Halo game that is in development. The plan is to not release the Halo game until I am finished with it, so expect nothing from me for a while. =)

FOR THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF THE GAME, GO TO MY LAST POST

Also, what you see in in the early parts of this thread may not apply later, so always check the last few posts for updates of what's going on.

EDIT: I'm deleting many of the previous game versions to save on space.

I'm currently working on an FPS that uses a different (unorthodox) control scheme. I'll probably post it (a work-in-progress version) within the next week. Check back for updates.

Anyway, here's some features:
Instead of using mouse control, this FPS uses a 'double keyboard' scheme. Basically: ESDF to strafe and IJKL to 'look.' Might be a little unusual at first, but you get the hang of it quickly (at least, you should).
SPACE to shoot, A to aim, W and R to switch between primary and secondary weapon, and T for manual reload (you also reload if your ammo turns to 0).

No real story or mission yet, but I'm working on it.

So far, 4 weapons.
M4, AK47, UMP 45, and Desert Eagle.
I might add an MP5, Benelli M4 shotgun, and possibly a minigun, if I don't tire of this project (or have the time:))
The different weapons do different damage, and damage also varies with distance from the target.

You have allies, but they don't do anything right now (just have them in cool poses).

Right now, I only have one enemy, but it's a work in progress.The enemy can detect you if you're in front of you and within a certain distance, and also turns around if you shoot him from behind. He's armed with an AK47 (but shoots slowly), and can also inflict damage on you. The edges of the screen turn red whenever you're shot, but I don't have anything happen when you die though:p(for now). However, when you kill your enemy, he falls over dead.

Unlimited ammo, but you have a set number of ammunition in each magazine or clip, so you periodically have to reload.

You can only carry two weapons at a time (default is M4 and Desert Eagle), but if close enough to a pile of crates (they're in the barn), if you press 'g' you can switch out your primary and secondary weapons.

Sorry for not attaching the world, I might want to spruce up a few things before I start posting updates.:p

Meanwhile, here's some photos (kind of hard for me to get good moments, but hope you like)(another note:'circles' rear reticle are actually cones, representing bullets; cylinders coming from the side of the gun are ejected cartridges):
Pictures (from top to bottom):
1. Reload sequence for the AK
2. Ownage with the UMP (my fav gun). Note that I would not have normally been hit, it was hard to take the right screenshot
3. Firing the Desert Eagle
4. A kill with the AK

debussybunny563
07-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Alice won't let me do more than 5 pics, so here are some more.

Also, special thanks to the people who designed the weapons, I'm sorry I didn't remember which people made them. If you made one of them, perhaps you could claim so on this thread.

About mouse-control, some reasons for disliking it in Alice is that in some configurations, you can't turn around 360 degrees (i.e. the screen only moves when the mouse moves), and for the others it is difficult to aim (i.e. the screen moves whenever the mouse is away from the center).

Some less-epic pics (top to bottom):
1. Red dot equipped on the UMP
2. M4
3. Desert Eagle
4. Allies. Note the random MP5. Later I might make it useable. The allies were supposed to all be focused on the enemy, but I moved him, so they're just there.

jediaction
07-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Hmm, can you post this. Im interested in testing it and since ive made so many FPS games, mabye i could give a some tips. If you dont want anyone else to see it you can private post and i wont post for anyone else if you dont want me to.

debussybunny563
07-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the offer.

I'll definitely post it, but it's just that I merely have most of the technical issues down, no real gameplay. There's just one enemy and that's it (for now). BTW, I changed the environment, so that barn you're seeing won't be there.

My idea was for it to be a kind of 'defend your outpost' kind of game where waves of enemies (they'll respawn, obviously) try to take over your position. I'll have to work on collision detection though. I guess I could post it.

I am happy to have one of the more active (and better) members of the Alice Forums review my FPS. As I said before, though, there isn't any mouse control, just a 'double-keyboard' type thing. The main reason it doesn't utilize the mouse is simply because when I started making FPS's, I just didn't realize you could do it (I've seen some of yours, would like to compliment you on them:D). That thing about how hard it is to control was probably just more of an excuse, but it is true to an extent.
So, I'll probably get it up within the next few days (if not today).

Check back soon!

jediaction
07-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Well, it looks like good animation. I want to see good animation

debussybunny563
07-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Got the world for ya. Feel free to mess around with it, but I warn you, there are a lot of events, properties, and methods (though not as much as some I've seen).

Also, if you try to reposition the guerilla, you might run into problems when you play it (I didn't figure out why at first, either:p). The reason is I made a pivot for the guerilla, so when he turns to shoot at you, the pivot's moving. If you move him away from the pivot, it'll mess up the AI (he doesn't move yet, though:(). Same thing with the character. To move him (and the camera), use the bush. I probably should have used dummies, but, like mouse control, I didn't know about them.

Many of the gun/vehicle models I think were converted by X (don't have anything against him, but 'super' moderator? He definitely is a great contributor and deserves to be one, but the name just sounds a bit cheesy), so a shout out to him.

When you are in front of the crates, you can press 'g' to switch weapons (it'll let you know when you are within distance). Pop-up menus will appear, just follow them (the UMP requires a code though. If you want it, private message me. I'll probably get rid of that later, but I just wanted to do that since it's my favorite gun).

For any questions, suggestions just ask me on my page.

In terms of good animation, I added simulated recoil (i.e. the character turns backward, the screen turns backward, the guns eject cartridges), there is simulated 'breathing' (when you're idle, the character's upper body moves up and down), you sprint after running a certain time (unfortunately, no walk animation right now besides the breathing, will get it up later-you might have to remind me though:p), aiming is nice, a simple (but effective) switch-weapon animation, reticle expands after prolonged shooting. Hope you like it. Any and all (most) suggestions are welcome.

Edit: I'll just be posting updates of my FPS on this post (hence xfinal2). So, if you want the file, hopefully I'll be able to put most of them here.

debussybunny563
07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I do have a question for anybody out there. How should I implement a weapon switching system, or rather, what kind? Currently I have it so that you only have 2 slots, and must go to a certain place (some stacked crates) if you want to switch those 2 out. I was wondering whether I should make it so that you carry all the weapons and can switch between all of them at any time. I'm not sure about picking up weapons though, too much work for me:p. If it comes down to it, I could spend a few hours on that, but it's not as fitting for the game situation.
Any other suggestions for a system would also be appreciated.
(poll is at top)

arty-fishL
07-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Its nice to see somebody new to the Alice community with immediate natural talent. Its very good, I like the double keyboard system, but sometimes I lose the keys and end up to the left or right of the correct key wondering why the guy isnt moving right, but practice should fix that. Very good animations, even subtle ones like the breathing, but it would be nice if the recoil came down again, as I slowly find the guy aiming higher and higher as he shoots. :D

arty-fishL
07-24-2010, 08:46 PM
If you dont want anyone else to see it you can private post and i wont post for anyone else if you dont want me to.
What do you mean by private post? You cant mean private message because they cant have attachments, so :confused:

debussybunny563
07-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the compliment, Arty. I'm trying to get rid of that 'junior' tag, but don't exactly want to spam the forums doing so.

Edit: Hey, what a coincidence. This was my 15th post. Yay, I'm a member!
2nd double edit: Now I just have to see how long it takes to become a senior.:D

Double edit: I've created 4 or 5 fps's total, but most of the previous ones (excuse me) sucked. I'll give you a rundown:
1. Move with WASD (A and D to turn) and click on the target with the mouse to shoot. Yep, there's no real aiming. And you can't look up:p. Weapons: akimbo revolver. That's it.
2. Same thing, but better environment. Also, I got an M4 and the pistol. Also, you could pick up a Barret that was mounted on a wall. No scoping though.
3. Ah, now we come to the double keyboard system. Kind of nice, but largely incomplete. Set in snow.
4. Same as above, set in snow, but a lot better and more complete. I could post it if anyone wants to see. You have an M4 and a pistol, and it's pretty nice.
The problem with this (and it applies to all others above it) is that the M4 was made with a bunch of boppers (they're in the amusement park section), and a few other objects vehicled together. When I discovered you could import objects (thanks, X), I started this one. It's definitely my best yet(end double edit).

In terms of the aim getting higher and higher, I meant for that to happen because it's more realistic. In many other FPS games, you have to drag the mouse down while you're shooting to keep it on target. So similarly, you probably want to keep your (excuse me) middle finger on the 'k' key whenever you're shooting (the aim does come down a little bit though, but still not as much as it goes up). Good luck controlling the recoil on the Deagle:D!

About losing your position on the keyboard, it's happened to me before, but it's getting increasingly rare. It's like your normal typing position (i.e. your index fingers are on 'f' and 'j'), so just remember that you should feel those little stubs on your index fingers.

I'll keep posting updates. Do you think I should post a new update with a new post each time, or just change the attachment? That way, I don't need to make too many posts, but the other way people can't see previous versions.
Edit: I'm probably not going to add a walk animation now. For me, as long as it doesn't disturb gameplay, it's fine.

I'd really appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance. I probably can't take all of them, though. I do already have certain things in mind, as well.

4th edit: Srry 'bout the long posts, I'm used to typing long e-mails.:p

arty-fishL
07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I'll keep posting updates. Do you think I should post a new update with a new post each time, or just change the attachment? That way, I don't need to make too many posts, but the other way people can't see previous versions.
you should post all updates on your first post at the top, by editing it and maybe add a new post at the bottom saying it is updated. Maybe keep a couple previous attachments, but not too many.

debussybunny563
07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
you should post all updates on your first post at the top, by editing it and maybe add a new post at the bottom saying it is updated. Maybe keep a couple previous attachments, but not too many.
OK, will do.

If I can get some sort of (free) hypercam (and a youtube account), I might post vids.

Edit: New Pics!
1. Shooting far away with the red dot sight.
2. Getting up close with the Desert Eagle.
3. Hiding behind some crates with the M4.
4. Hiding behind a humvee with the AK.

debussybunny563
07-25-2010, 11:30 AM
You can now die. The world around you slowly turns red, and you can't shoot or reload or any of those things. You can still move around though.

Look at my original post for the update. (It's xfinal-posting2)

jediaction
07-25-2010, 11:43 AM
I do have a question for anybody out there. How should I implement a weapon switching system, or rather, what kind? Currently I have it so that you only have 2 slots, and must go to a certain place (some stacked crates) if you want to switch those 2 out. I was wondering whether I should make it so that you carry all the weapons and can switch between all of them at any time. I'm not sure about picking up weapons though, too much work for me:p. If it comes down to it, I could spend a few hours on that, but it's not as fitting for the game situation.
Any other suggestions for a system would also be appreciated.
(poll is at top)

Weapon switching? I made a good example of that.

debussybunny563
07-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Have an idea! I guess I'll use the number keys to switch weapons. I'll modify my current system. Thanks for the idea, jedi.:D(was clueless what kind of system to use:p, each one had its own benefits)

Edit: New system is available in the first post. 1, 2, 3, and 4 to switch weapons.
World is xfinal-posting3.
However, I might have to wait till poll results finish. Right now, it looks like the 2nd option is winning, but there have only been 3 voters.

Something else that is lacking is sound. Will probably be one of the last things I do.

Edit: I deleted the original xfinal-posting3 and posted a new one (same name: xfinal-posting3). There is now a really cool opening cutscene. Enjoy!

jediaction
07-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Your welcome and yup, i voted

debussybunny563
07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
You voted for which option?:confused:

arty-fishL
07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I voted for 2 weapons as it makes the game harder, 2 weapons should be fine if there are sufficient enough weapon crates around the place. Nice pics.

debussybunny563
07-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I really like the number system for switching weapons. Quick and efficient. However, the 2-slot system is more realistic. Since now that option is winning by a larger margin, I'll re-update it to go with that.

So, now's the question: How should I get the extra weapons? Should I ask the user for input like I did in xfinal-posting2?
srry, too many questions.:p
Suggestions are welcome.

I'll keep updating.

GoGators
07-26-2010, 04:16 AM
you will become a senior at 50 posts so you are about half way right now!

debussybunny563
07-26-2010, 10:09 AM
I added a new weapon: the FN P90!:D
Pros: Low recoil, possibly lower than the M4. High mag capacity, can fit 50 rounds. High range, reaches out to 175 meters. High fire rate
Cons: Relatively slow reload. Low damage, 4-5 hit kill.
ULTRA CON: LAGS THE ENTIRE GAME!!!:mad:
I'll have to see what I can do about the lag. Any suggestions would be welcome. BTW the polygonal count is 28,000. Too much or no?

This might be the last weapon I add to the game. So now, 5 weapons total.

Edit: The lag actually isn't that bad. I think it might run a just a little bit worse though.

jediaction
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
I added a new weapon: the FN P90!:D
Pros: Low recoil, possibly lower than the M4. High mag capacity, can fit 50 rounds. High range, reaches out to 175 meters. High fire rate
Cons: Relatively slow reload. Low damage, 4-5 hit kill.
ULTRA CON: LAGS THE ENTIRE GAME!!!:mad:
I'll have to see what I can do about the lag. Any suggestions would be welcome. BTW the polygonal count is 28,000. Too much or no?

This might be the last weapon I add to the game. So now, 5 weapons total.

Edit: The lag actually isn't that bad. I think it might run a just a little bit worse though.

Get rid of as many loops as possible

debussybunny563
07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Get rid of as many loops as possible

I actually have quite few loops, I have more 'while' events. At this point, I'm blaming it on too many polygons, since whenever I face away from where there are a lot of objects, everything runs really smoothly.

BTW, I'll start posting the updates on a new post, so don't look back to the first post (or close to first) for the new updates.

@jedi: Hmm, you've almost got 2,000 posts! Just a little longer!

Edit: Over 2,000! Congrats!

debussybunny563
07-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Here's the world with the P90:
It still utilizes the number system, and I'm working on changing it to the 2-slot system (sorry jedi, that option seems to be more popular):p

jediaction
07-26-2010, 08:00 PM
I actually have quite few loops, I have more 'while' events. At this point, I'm blaming it on too many polygons, since whenever I face away from where there are a lot of objects, everything runs really smoothly.

BTW, I'll start posting the updates on a new post, so don't look back to the first post (or close to first) for the new updates.

@jedi: Hmm, you've almost got 2,000 posts! Just a little longer!

Post 1995

Anyway, while loops will make your game go slower to you know

Here's the world with the P90:
It still utilizes the number system, and I'm working on changing it to the 2-slot system (sorry jedi, that option seems to be more popular):p

I was hoping for that? Whats wrong?

debussybunny563
07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Post 1995

Anyway, while loops will make your game go slower to you know
:p

Edit: Well, I have to use one of them, so thank you very much for that meaningful comment.
Just kiddin', but I really do think it's too many polygons. It doesn't lag very much for me anymore, but I understand you should keep the limit to 40,000, and I'm getting close...

jediaction
07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
ok, my games have way over that. Check out my Halo game, going off subject

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Needs more enemies.

debussybunny563
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Needs more enemies.

Well, of course. I'm still working on other things. Once you get one enemy's methods and events down, you can easily (still time-consuming though) duplicate that. For the moment, the current enemy can't walk or move, so it'll be some time before more enemies come into play (don't worry, they'll definitely come).

jediaction
07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I understand, you just started

debussybunny563
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I understand, you just started
Eh, kind of. It's just that I have to add many things, so it might be some time before I get to certain aspects of the game. For the moment, I'm working on the walk/run animation for the enemy, and it's very difficult for me to get it to work in terms of making him stop running when he dies.:mad: His posture becomes messed up. Oh, well. It's coming along though. Once I get this bug fixed I'll probably post another update.:D

debussybunny563
07-30-2010, 08:50 PM
I got a really big part of the game up and running... The enemy can run around! It took me a VERY long time to get it bug-free, as there is an animation for the death, and sometimes the enemy is attacking and dying at the same time. But, now it's fixed (tell me if you find any more bugs or glitches).

There are also a bunch of things associated with the running that required complex coding. Basically, the enemy will begin to notice you if you are within 40 meters and in front of him. He'll keep running towards you as long as you are within 60 meters, after which he'll stop, and will also keep running 'till he's within 20 meters, close enough to deal out deadly damage.

There is also a random amount of times he'll shoot at you after he's in range. Basically, I have a loop set up with 5 times. Each time there is a 50% chance he will shoot at you. However, there is no break between shots as it's an if/else clause, so if he doesn't shoot, the else is he does nothing. Expect him to shoot at you anywhere from one to five times (he rarely, if ever shoots zero times) after each chase.

Also improved the recoil (except the AK47), so that it settles down more, but now it can shift to the left and right as well (except the AK47). There is also chance involved there, so 50% of the time your view moves to the left, and 50% to the right. The recoil happens faster than the previous versions, so it's more realistic.

The enemy now can also respawn, so there is unlimited shooting action. Unfortunately, I have not added more enemies yet, as I still want to make sure everything's good before I duplicate.

Things I plan to work on:
As I said, more enemies.
An objective for the enemies, so you're not the main target; they have a mission to complete.
Make the allies do something, as right now they're still static.
Sound. It really helps add depth to a game, and is vital for making a good one.
An HUD. I'll use a system for a radar/map that I found on the forums, and I'll probably add an ammo count as well.

Here it is:
Enjoy!
(Yeah, I know it's called xfinal-posting2, but it is the most updated for now)

arty-fishL
08-02-2010, 05:12 AM
I downloaded some software that installs drivers for my ps3 controller and then I installed xpadder, which allows you to assign buttons, triggers, d-pads and sticks to functions and keyboard buttons/ mouse actions on the computer. Then I made an setup for the controller to work like it does in mw2 on both this game and storm. It feels really good using a controller for these games, but I had to reduce the sensitivity in your game as it was too high for the controller. But it made the game a lot more comfortable for me.

jediaction
08-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Hold on. You played storm with a ps3 controller. I want to play hero's with my x-box 360 controller. How do you do that Arty?

arty-fishL
08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Im pretty sure xbox 360 controllers are plug-and-play on windows computers (you need extra drivers for ps3 controllers), to use it you need to have it plugged into your computer by USB. If you want it wireless then look here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933710/), but usb works fine. If it isnt plug-and-play then please reply and I will look into it if you want.
To make any controller do keyboard and mouse commands just install xpadder, the newest version costs money, but if you google it you can get free versions. Then it is easy to setup.
If you use Vista or 7 then make it run in administrator mode.
Make a profile that has the buttons and mouse controls for Hero as the buttons etc for the controller.

Here is an example profile that could work for Storm:

arty-fishL
08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
This is the profile I have running for my ps3 controller on this FPS. The up button on the D-pad was just a rapid fire feature I was testing.

If you could make a sensitivity function for this game it would be very useful please :D

jediaction
08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
This is the profile I have running for my ps3 controller on this FPS. The up button on the D-pad was just a rapid fire feature I was testing.

If you could make a sensitivity function for this game it would be very useful please :D

Hmm, i'll talk to King Gamer about it. But i dont have Ps3 yet, i need X-box controlls. How do you get the program. Haha, oops, i missed the post before, never mind, i found the X-box controller.

arty-fishL
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM
lol :p

jediaction
08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
So, how do you get the program?

arty-fishL
08-04-2010, 05:19 AM
google it

Here's a link to a page with a download for it anyway:
xpadder 5.3 (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml)
I cant find the link I know is reliable for the free xpadder 5.7 , but 5.3 works just as well.

jediaction
08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks. I'll try it

EDIT: how do you use this program. Im trying to hook up my x-box 360 controller. This is devide manager not xpadder

debussybunny563
08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
New update available!

Changed/added features:
I changed the environment to snow, instead of the previous sand/desert.
There is a numerical ammo count, so you know how many bullets you have left.
You can now crouch down, which makes you move slower, but also allows you to move closer to the enemy without being noticed.
When aiming down the sights, the camera zooms in a little bit.

Should I add a different ammo count system? I was thinking maybe a bar that represents your total ammo, and it decreases in length as you deplete your supply.
Also, I have difficulties with integrating, or even just making a map/radar system. Any help would be appreciated.

I've decided that I'll probably get rid of most of the allies, and instead make something akin to parts of the "Cliffhanger" mission in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, where you'll have one ally providing cover as a sniper from high ground (like Soap shooting tangos when you get close to them), if I'll use any allies at all.
Therefore, I'll probably use the police character models for enemies instead of the current guerilla.

If you have comments, suggestions, questions, or find a bug, let me know.
Enjoy!

Pictures:
1. Going prone in some vegetation
2. The design for the soon-to-come new enemies
3. & 4. Showing the difference between sights and no-sights (the character is unmoved); the red dot is zoomed in more

arty-fishL
08-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks. I'll try it

EDIT: how do you use this program. Im trying to hook up my x-box 360 controller. This is devide manager not xpadder

devide manager?

Also I am downloading the fps (got a name for it yet?) now.

arty-fishL
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
why is it that when I download the file and then reload the page the attachment views never go up?:confused:

arty-fishL
08-07-2010, 06:27 PM
nice:cool:

I find the look controls are too sensitive for me when carefully aiming, if I just tap a key it to move the aim slightly the aim suddenly jumps instead.
It would be nice if you could make it do what it currently does while a key is held, but only move slightly when a key is tapped.

debussybunny563
08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I find the look controls are too sensitive for me when carefully aiming, if I just tap a key it to move the aim slightly the aim suddenly jumps instead.
It would be nice if you could make it do what it currently does while a key is held, but only move slightly when a key is tapped.

OK, now I made it so that if you just tap quickly, it moves only a little, and it's difficult to detect that it moves a bit slower if you hold the key in, so it doesn't lag your speed when you're trying to turn around quickly.

Tips for accuracy:
Instead of pressing J or L to correct your aim, try using S and F to move left or right instead of turn left or right. The overall distance your screen moves will be smaller (in the previous version, that is. I'll post the 'tapping' version in a bigger update with more features, so you're stuck with this for now).:p
Go prone. Since you move slower on the ground, that further decreases the amount of movement left and right. However, the speed with which you turn is still the same.

No final name yet. Any suggestions would be welcome, though I'll probably disregard them.

labtek9
08-08-2010, 11:36 AM
The game won't play on my MAC but I'm going to try on a Windows

debussybunny563
08-08-2010, 11:47 AM
The game won't play on my MAC but I'm going to try on a Windows
My friend had a similar problem. He's a HUGE Mac fan (goes by 'Lem0nhead' online-has an account on the forums), and it won't play any worlds with imported objects. Basically, he can only use the objects that come with the program i.e. the object gallery.
Apparently the Mac version of Alice is buggy. (I should know, since I've used it for long periods on both Windows and Mac)

jediaction
08-08-2010, 03:13 PM
devide manager?

Yes, Device Manager.

I also played the game.

Feed back...
Amazing animations
Bullets dont hit the enemy when i hit him (most of the time)
No sound
Dont know where to go

debussybunny563
08-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Bullets dont hit the enemy when i hit him (most of the time)
No sound
Dont know where to go

By that, do you mean that the enemy doesn't respond to hits, or that even if you unload an entire magazine and it seems that the bullets all 'hit' he still doesn't go down?

Currently, there is no hit animation (except if you hit him from behind, then he turns around), but he still loses health.
However, I have also found that the bullets don't always register, so it is a problem, and I'm just asking how severe it is for you.

Either way, I changed the collision for the bullets, and now it's a lot more responsive; you can shoot from anywhere and still hit, provided good aim and within range.

BTW, I do have a range for all the weapons.
M4-200 meters
AK47-150 meters
Desert Eagle-50 meters
UMP-100 meters
P90-175 meters

The result of changing the collision was extremely unexpected (for me):
Smaller file size! Went from 8.29 MB to only 7.26 MB with no other changes.
I was surprised because the code was a lot longer, but maybe it's because of Alice's way of compacting things in different events, blah blah, it's very difficult to explain something like this in plain text, so forget it.

As for sound, yeah, none yet. I expect the game will be a lot better with it. I'm trying to get the other things done first.

As for where to go, there currently is no gameplay, just you and that single enemy. That is also why the game is so lacking, and I'll need a big update for that. This will be what I'll be working on, and it will take a while before completion.

jediaction
08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
By that, do you mean that the enemy doesn't respond to hits, or that even if you unload an entire magazine and it seems that the bullets all 'hit' he still doesn't go down?

Currently, there is no hit animation (except if you hit him from behind, then he turns around), but he still loses health.
However, I have also found that the bullets don't always register, so it is a problem, and I'm just asking how severe it is for you.

Either way, I changed the collision for the bullets, and now it's a lot more responsive; you can shoot from anywhere and still hit, provided good aim and within range.

BTW, I do have a range for all the weapons.
M4-200 meters
AK47-150 meters
Desert Eagle-50 meters
UMP-100 meters
P90-175 meters

The result of changing the collision was extremely unexpected (for me):
Smaller file size! Went from 8.29 MB to only 7.26 MB with no other changes.
I was surprised because the code was a lot longer, but maybe it's because of Alice's way of compacting things in different events, blah blah, it's very difficult to explain something like this in plain text, so forget it.

As for sound, yeah, none yet. I expect the game will be a lot better with it. I'm trying to get the other things done first.

As for where to go, there currently is no gameplay, just you and that single enemy. That is also why the game is so lacking, and I'll need a big update for that. This will be what I'll be working on, and it will take a while before completion.

yah. I was just reporting what happened. ITs not like my computer self destructed. LOL!

labtek9
08-09-2010, 10:45 AM
this control scheme is very cool I also find it easy, if you don't mind can I use it in my FPS?

debussybunny563
08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
You can use the control scheme if it works for you; it's not like I own it or anything.

You don't have to give me any recognition, either. It's just an idea, and anyone can use it.

Good luck on your FPS!:D

debussybunny563
08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
New update!

Features:
The tap-aiming feature mentioned earlier.
Better collision detection for the bullets, as mentioned earlier.
Lower recoil on the desert eagle.
The cartridges are now ejected at a random angle, rather then a preset one.
Bullets are smaller, and it makes no difference except they look a bit smaller.:D
Not exactly a plus for you, but the deagle now only holds 7 rounds, which is how many it should hold.

And, the main new feature (visually): MUCH better reload animations!
They are more realistic, though they might run a bit slower (takes longer to reload).
If you go or turn to somewhere where there are no other objects (just turn away from where the objects are), all the animations run a lot smoother, and you can observe the shooting, recoil, and reloading in a smoother fashion. However, I do find it becomes a little too smooth (in a not positive manner); just some food for thought.

In the meantime, I'll tell you a bit about the weapons and some trivia on my preferences.

M4-Your high accuracy, low recoil, long range weapon.
It does low damage, but is partly offset by high fire rate.
30 round mag, 600 rpm, 200 m.
Recommended for long range distances for low recoil.

AK47-Your high damage, low accuracy, intermediate range weapon.
Does high damage, but also has considerable recoil. Low fire rate.
30 round mag, 300 rpm, 150 m.
Recommended for intermediate-close ranges for high damage. Low fire rate also means going for longer periods without reloading.

Desert Eagle-Your high damage, close range emergency weapon.
It's a pistol, so it's difficult to compare with the other weapons. Very high damage and high recoil.
7 round clip, about 180 rpm, 50 m.
Recommended for cqb.

UMP45-Your high damage, close range weapon.
Does the most damage compared to the other AR's/SMG's. Also has relatively high recoil.
30 round mag, 600 rpm, 100 m.
Recommended for close-intermediate ranges for high damage. Red dot sight attached for increased accuracy. The red dot sight is extremely useful, as it zooms the camera in more than the iron sights, allowing the user to see further and target better. Therefore, the UMP is useful within all hundred meters of its range (besides the fog).

P90-Your high accuracy, high fire rate, low recoil weapon.
Does little damage, but is accurate and fast. lol im bord
50 round mag, 600 rpm, 175 m.
Recommended for intermediate-long distances. However, it can be useful in cqb when engaging multiple targets, as it has a huge magazine and can go for extended periods without need to reload.

Little how-dee-do's:
You might notice something with the reload animations of the M4 and the UMP, the magazines never come off! That's because in the weapon models, the subparts weren't exactly the way I wanted them. In the M4, the magazine is attached to the handgrip, and the UMP was pretty much one solid object. So, to create the illusion, when you 'pull down the magazines' the right arm follows through so you can't see that the mags are still attached, and then the arm comes back up again when you 'insert the mags.' Tips for all of you who might run into this problem.
The smoothest reload would have to be the Desert Eagle. Very nice looking, if I do say so myself.
My favorite reload would have to be a close tie between the AK and the UMP. The AK's is very satisfying, and the same with the UMP's, in terms of the motion is kind of jerky.
The AK's is cool because of the way it kind of rips off the magazine and tosses it, as well as pulling the charging handle.
The UMP's is cool because of the 'follow-through,' which the AK also has, but is utilized better in the UMP. The arms kind of bounce around a bit; it's similar to adding a breathing effect to an otherwise stationary character. If you go look online for an animated UMP reload sequence, it's very likely that it will look like this.
Go ahead, go see for yourself.

BTW, there may be bugs for the enemy's attack sequence after he dies and respawns i.e. after he's finished respawning, he will never notice you or will start to attack you even if you're behind him/out of range.
Currently, I have a 'while world is running' with 'while guerilla.dead=false' in the during, and the attack sequence/method in that while event.
I've tried it before with a 'while guerilla.dead=false' event, and had the method in the during section, and that one had no bugs except that it would generate an 'error during simulation.' On another thread it said that this is due to events being terminated as they're happening. Problem is, I WANT the event to be terminated at once, but I can't seem to do so without an error (the error only happens if the enemy dies while he's running; if you kill him right after he notices you or while he's shooting, he dies normally).
Any help would be welcome.:D

Enjoy! (the reload animations)

Always post any questions, comments, suggestions or bugs that you may find. Thnx!

Wow, it's lengthy!

jediaction
08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Wow. Much better! Yes, once the guys are dead they come back to life. I love the running. If you hold the walk down for a little while. You run. Thats my favorite

labtek9
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
every time I play I get a message that says error during simulation on my Windows!

debussybunny563
08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
every time I play I get a message that says error during simulation on my Windows!
Really? Does it come up right after you press play, or when you try to do something while the world is running?
Are you playing the most recent version? Maybe you don't have the most up-to-date version of Alice 2.2. Make sure you're using Alice 2.2.
Also, probably a useless question, but what version of Windows? I use 7, but I'm not sure if it really matters.

I may be overreacting. :D

If anyone else has problems, let me know, since I want to know whether it's a problem with my world or your computer.

arty-fishL
08-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I like the reloading animations, very nice. Little hitch when you aim down your sights; you will need to correctly vehicle the ammo count since it goes off screen when the camera zooms in. That's all, apart from that I love it.

debussybunny563
08-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I like the reloading animations, very nice. Little hitch when you aim down your sights; you will need to correctly vehicle the ammo count since it goes off screen when the camera zooms in. That's all, apart from that I love it.
Yeah, I'll have to fix that, some way or other.

Problem is, the ammo count is correctly vehicled (to the camera).

To get the zoom in effect, I didn't make the camera move forward, I actually zoomed in.
The difference is, zooming in makes close objects bigger, while moving forward makes those objects move past you.
You change the (sorry if I misname) horizontalclippingangle and verticalclipping angle in the seldom-used properties of the camera.
It has the same effect as if you go to 'add objects,' 'more controls,' and drag the 'lens angle' sliding bar.

So, it'll take more work than just vehicling it, but I might get to it eventually.:D
Since it's not that important at the moment, I'll stuff it away to do later.:p

BTW, I think there's a problem with the P90's reload; the camera is slightly off after each reload. It's fixed in my version now, but not the one that's currently posted.

Regular update:
I added an 'idle' animation for the enemy, so if nothing happens for a while, he kind of inspects his weapon. Took me a whole feces-load of work to fix all the bugs that inevitably come up when you have the attack, idle, and die methods all running at once.
Also fixed other bugs that you may or may not find. As the creator, I have to LOOK for bugs and fix them, which is really feces-y.
At one point, I kept randomly pressing G, A, and (not Y, but) E to figure out a problem that occured that was associated with the crawl animation.
The reload animations also took me an entire day's worth of almost continuous labor as well to get the quality that you see.

ARRGGHHH!!! I might as well just quit.
OK, maybe not.

One of the issues I have is that I don't know when I should start duplicating the enemy. I keep thinking: Do I have enough features to move on? Am I missing something? Is the enemy bug-free? Also, should I add the gameplay before more enemies, or get more enemies before adding the mission?

Whatev. For comments, questions, suggestions, or bug reports, notify... ME!:D

jediaction
08-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Really? Does it come up right after you press play, or when you try to do something while the world is running?
Are you playing the most recent version? Maybe you don't have the most up-to-date version of Alice 2.2. Make sure you're using Alice 2.2.
Also, probably a useless question, but what version of Windows? I use 7, but I'm not sure if it really matters.

I may be overreacting. :D

If anyone else has problems, let me know, since I want to know whether it's a problem with my world or your computer.

I was just about to say that. Make sure when you post games, you say what version your using. I should do that to from now on

debussybunny563
08-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Just to let you guys know, I'm going to start modifying my FPS, or rather, the code that it uses, to make it better and less cluttered. Plus, I found a really good method for bullet collision detection that requires the use of a function that contains parameters and variables and whatnot, but does not require the bullet to move at all. I'll probably make a thread about things like that later in the How do I... section, but not for some time.

Basically, I'm deleting almost all of the events, many of the methods, and just keeping the animations, which is really all I need.

It'll take a long time, but in the end it should be worth it.

So, you might find a week or two of no updates.
It's just that, if you look at the events, I think there are way too many, and the same goes with the methods. So, I'm cleaning things up.

:o

jediaction
08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Just to let you guys know, I'm going to start modifying my FPS, or rather, the code that it uses, to make it better and less cluttered. Plus, I found a really good method for bullet collision detection that requires the use of a function that contains parameters and variables and whatnot, but does not require the bullet to move at all. I'll probably make a thread about things like that later in the How do I... section, but not for some time.

Basically, I'm deleting almost all of the events, many of the methods, and just keeping the animations, which is really all I need.

It'll take a long time, but in the end it should be worth it.

It's just that, if you look at the events, I think there are way too many, and the same goes with the methods. So, I'm cleaning things up.

:o

Can you private link me the bullet system so i can see it. I wont give out if you want to

debussybunny563
08-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Can you private link me the bullet system so i can see it. I wont give out if you want to
Private link? Wats dat?
lol:rolleyes:

I'm going to make a thread soon in the How do I section that deals with bullet collision detection.
Other people, like you, X, Dameria, Zenteo, Arty, etc. who can program well can also share ways to make this happen.

I'll give the link to the new thread in an edit.

EDIT: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=23962#post23962

jediaction
08-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Private link? Wats dat?
lol:rolleyes:

I'm going to make a thread soon in the How do I section that deals with bullet collision detection.
Other people, like you, X, Dameria, Zenteo, Arty, etc. who can program well can also share ways to make this happen.

I'll give the link to the new thread in an edit.

Hmm. Good point.

debussybunny563
08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
OK, there's a bug that has happened before, and I would also like to know if it has ever happened to you.

Basically, the enemy resizes in one dimension without you prompting it so.
It doesn't happen all the time, and eventually the enemy goes back to normal.

I believe it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm currently changing things around, since it has happened (rarely) before, and happened only this one time now.

Well, I surprised myself. I have it pretty much to where I was before modifying, and just need to work out some things with your character losing health and you losing the game, and then I'll post it.

Everything else is fine and works smoothly (besides what you see below-lol).

I compacted the events, so instead of having things like an M4 reload, an AK reload, P90 reload, etc. I have one reload, and have all those animations inside with simple if/else statements that determine which animation to use.
Also, with the new bullet collision, I had no need for a shooting method at all, and I deleted all but one bullet, which is all I need.

The other main difference is that instead of using a whole bunch of if/else statements to determine whether you can do something each time (basically, I didn't want things like reloading and firing and switching weapons happening at the same time), I just made a function for each.

However, even though I though that would save on file space, Alice has to be weird and make the file size larger. Oh well. It's only one MB or so larger, and I think there's actually less lag.

Always takes me FOREVER to straighten out the bugs, and can get me frustrated. :mad:

Here's some pics of the epicness:

debussybunny563
08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Finished making the changes to the FPS!

There is also a new feature:
The equivalent of 'Last Stand' in Modern Warfare 2!

Basically, if your health goes below zero, you lie down and switch to your pistol, while a timer set to two minutes goes off.
I recommend dying on purpose, just to get a look at it.

During last stand, you can only use your pistol, you can't get up, and everything becomes slower (to ArtyfishL: it works without any bugs, so, HA!).

Throughout the game, you also heal. You gain one health point every ten seconds.

By the end of the two minutes, if your health hasn't gone above zero, then you lose the game, and the game tells you so.

Second added feature:
Four difficulties to play on, the only difference between which is your health and your enemy's health.
Recruit: You have 20 health, your opponent 5
Regular: You have 10 health, your opponent 10
Hardened: You have 10 health, your opponent 15
Veteran: You have 5 health, your opponent 20

In veteran, you go to last stand in two hits, so be careful!

As always, tell me if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or find a bug.

jediaction
08-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Ok. i will download it tommorow. I think this game has one of the best animations for an FPS game recently. KEEP GOING!. Im working on my Halo game but for now. Keep up the good work. Make a full level with a menu!

arty-fishL
08-13-2010, 05:51 AM
About the resizing bug; if you use a turn to face animation to make the guy face you then I have had problems with it in the past too, it does seem to sometimes make stuff resize on one dimension (left to right always I think), you could incorporate a reset size method in after he turns or something like that.
The difficulties have nothing to do with cod, do they:p

debussybunny563
08-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah, but the thing is, he doesn't do it all the time, and he does reset his size eventually on his own.

Also, I didn't actually have the enemy turn to face, I had his pivot turn to face.
It seems that everything vehicled to the pivot is messed up.

However, he does look quite comical on-screen. :D

Im working on my Halo game

Nice game! I'll comment on your thread.

jediaction
08-13-2010, 08:33 AM
About the resizing bug; if you use a turn to face animation to make the guy face you then I have had problems with it in the past too, it does seem to sometimes make stuff resize on one dimension (left to right always I think), you could incorporate a reset size method in after he turns or something like that.
The difficulties have nothing to do with cod, do they:p

One time, that happened to me. The guy resize very way over and over again and then just looked like he exploded.

Yeah, but the thing is, he doesn't do it all the time, and he does reset his size eventually on his own.

Also, I didn't actually have the enemy turn to face, I had his pivot turn to face.
It seems that everything vehicled to the pivot is messed up.

However, he does look quite comical on-screen. :D

Nice game! I'll comment on your thread.

Great. I need a Ghost model, a brute, and a grunt or an elite. What ever. I need as many Halo objects as i can

debussybunny563
08-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I need a Ghost model, a brute, and a grunt or an elite. What ever. I need as many Halo objects as i can and debussybunny563 does not know what those are.

I've probably played Halo... twice? :confused:
It's a great game, but I don't know what those types of characters are. :rolleyes:

My guess:
Grunt is essentially pawn.
Brute is essentially knight.
Elite is essentially queen.

About right?

I also don't know how to convert models, so I'm not much help, am I? :p

I got a second enemy into the game! Not sure when I'll post it. Latest could be Monday.

I also added better snow, courtesy of Arty (didn't really ask for his permission, though :p). It was originally from his game, snowmobile reaction.

Please, if anyone has gameplay suggestions, tell me!
I'm pretty much blank except for a few good ideas borrowed off Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops.
Keep in mind the snow environment when you answer!

jediaction
08-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Yup except Elites are men

arty-fishL
08-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes you have perfect permission, im just intriged as to how you got the snow out of the original game. Did you extract the texture(s) by opening the a2w file as a zip, did you base it on it somehow... ?

debussybunny563
08-15-2010, 08:18 AM
how you got the snow out of the original game
I'm not telling...
Okay, if you look at your game and look at the ground object you have, the textures are already built in to that object.
So, I simply saved the object and imported it into the world.

x2495iiii
08-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Ha, arty just described how I always get textures from worlds. Nice.

jediaction
08-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have HALO OBJECTS like the ones i requested

arty-fishL
08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Ha, arty just described how I always get textures from worlds. Nice.

This method is also useful for either fixing a corrupt world or getting stuff out of it if you cant. But then I presume you knew that, you are very good with Alice.

x2495iiii
08-16-2010, 03:32 PM
I had to do that with some text I'd set the extrusion of to zero (Note: you should never do this) in the world I used to record the video I posted to youtube. Had to delete the object and the methods referring to it.

I would've had to rebuild that world too, if Dennis Cosgrove hadn't personally fixed it for me.

debussybunny563
08-16-2010, 07:07 PM
At X, do you have to download a certain program to open Alice files as .zip files?

And now, a new update.

Three enemies, and the third is one of the police character models.
I don't feel like going through everything I did, probably don't remember anyway, but I made it so that every so often the enemy will just run randomly, kind of to scout, so chances are that they'll eventually notice you.

There are probably a few bugs, and I encourage you to let me know if anything goes wrong while playing.
Most or all of the bugs may be kind of obscure though.

Also, as now I feel like transitioning to the actually gameplay and story, bombard me with any suggestions to improve the game, perhaps things like "it's too easy/hard", "the enemy should notice you from even further away/closer", etc.

Enjoy!
BTW, using the method I described in my "Adding your objects to the Object Gallery and more", I reduced file size from 13.2 MB to only 10.2 MB.

pangdang
08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
So GoooooooooooD

x2495iiii
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
At X, do you have to download a certain program to open Alice files as .zip files?

7-zip. It's free, powerful, and intuitive. Get it now. (http://www.7-zip.org/)

debussybunny563
08-20-2010, 08:33 AM
7-zip. It's free, powerful, and intuitive. Get it now.
How do I find out if my computer is x64 or 32-bit?

Also, I'd like people to start making more suggestions now on features to add/change.

I think I'm going to make a starting menu from which you can only choose one 'class' of weapons, which is basically a primary and secondary to carry around.

Any features you'd like to see? Things like a HUD (what to add on it), weapons to add (though I can't guarantee I have a usable model. Generally kind of picky on what to use, as I need subparts for things like magazines), etc.

arty-fishL
08-20-2010, 04:54 PM
thats a strange mix of terms, you should have x86 and x64 together OR 32 bit and 64 bit together in a sentence, not mixed, not that it makes a difference or that anybody cares.
In Vista (im sure its the same in 7, dont know about xp) go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System and it should be written after "system type:" . 64-bit is x64 and 32-bit is x86.

Im really liking this so far.

The enemies still do seem not very aware of you even when they are staring right at you. They can be quite random. I chose veteran and began killing from where I started and they never once saw me. I started in recruit and they all saw me straight away and started shooting. Also the ammo count is now half off the screen for me, even when not aiming down my sights.

Also do you mean categories for classes like in battlefield bc2? Like medic, recon (you need some sniper rifles), assault, engineer or like in mw2?

Dont be a copycat, but the HUDs in jedi's FPSs are very good.

debussybunny563
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
The enemies still do seem not very aware of you even when they are staring right at you. They can be quite random. I chose veteran and began killing from where I started and they never once saw me. I started in recruit and they all saw me straight away and started shooting.
Hmm. I have it so that you still have to be within a certain distance of the enemies for them to see you, 'cause it's a snow level and there's some fog.

Also, if you're lying down, you can sneak up closer without being noticed, so I think the reason they saw you once and not the other time is that you either got closer to them or stood up, since you start out lying down.

Also the ammo count is now half off the screen for me, even when not aiming down my sights.

Did you ever move things around? They're fine for me, even after playing it MANY MANY times.

(you need some sniper rifles)

In fact, I'm implementing the AWP right now.

Update and whatnot on semi-automatic fire.
Previously the Desert Eagle was 'full-auto' in that you could hold down space and it'd fire repeatedly (if you've played it before, you know what I mean).
Now, you have to press space for every shot, so I was able to get a semi-automatic system.

The AWP is also semi-auto. Aiming is interesting now, as the AWP is a sniper rifle, and it has a scope.

I searched google for "png reticle," found a large and good quality (~1600x1600 pixels) picture that suited my needs (couldn't just be a circle with lines, it had to be placed on a black background-you'll see).
Opened in GIMP, deleted the white, and imported into Alice.
The black doesn't stretch to the entire screen, but two black squares on either side solves that (though with minor problems that I'll hopefully solve later).

A snow level without a sniper rifle does seem to lack something.

However, I also added silencers to the M4, UMP, and P90, so that would kind of make up for it.

Also do you mean categories for classes like in battlefield bc2? Like medic, recon (you need some sniper rifles), assault, engineer or like in mw2?

Never played Battlefield Bad Company 2 before.
I basically mean each class is just a pair of weapons.
So, it'd be like
Class Sniper: AWP and P90
Class Recon: UMP and Desert Eagle

Dont be a copycat
4 deaths=copycat

Found out, it's a 32-bit.
Thnx!

EDIT: I actually added this quite a few days ago, but the health system is revised.
Instead of the previous "if enemy is within so-and-so meters of character, lose this much, else lose this much," there's a formula so that the damage you do always varies at different ranges and whatnot. Also, if you get a headshot, you can get lucky and you'll get a x2 damage multiplier.

jediaction
08-21-2010, 07:21 AM
EDIT: I actually added this quite a few days ago, but the health system is revised.
Instead of the previous "if enemy is within so-and-so meters of character, lose this much, else lose this much," there's a formula so that the damage you do always varies at different ranges and whatnot. Also, if you get a headshot, you can get lucky and you'll get a x2 damage multiplier.

Just to say. Ive made a ton of FPS games on this community. From experience, your gonna want sound. Its gonna make your game a whole lot more exciting. I cant say My Halo game anymore because Zone is helping out. But, "Our Halo Game" has sounds and is gonna be epic.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-21-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't like having sounds in Alice games. I'll put them in, but I don't like them cause occasionally, based on how much the computer is particularly screwed when I get on, the speakers will fail, causing any game with sound to be unplayable until I fix the speakers, which is a long and tedious process involving restarting the computer approximately 592,176 times, waiting for that one moment where both the sound and Internet actually work at the same time.

...So that's why I say, no sound please. But of course it's your game, you can do what you want.

debussybunny563
08-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Sound's probably going to come last.

One of the main problems I have is that sounds like gunshots I download are prolonged in that each shot could be a 3 second clip.
There's the actual gunshot, but then it also includes the echo, which I definitely don't want.
In automatic fire, using these sounds there will be pauses inbetween the bursts.

Also, I definitely agree with jedi in that sound ups the quality of a game.
However, to Densetsu and all others who don't want sound, I'll release a version with no sound as well. :)

For now though, no sound. :(

BTW, if you find any good sound clips with no echo after the main gunshot, let me know. :D

x2495iiii
08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Sans-echo gunshots sound terrible. You're supposed to code it so that the sound is played by different sources over top of each other. That way, the last shot still has the echo, making it sound realistic.

jediaction
08-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't like having sounds in Alice games. I'll put them in, but I don't like them cause occasionally, based on how much the computer is particularly screwed when I get on, the speakers will fail, causing any game with sound to be unplayable until I fix the speakers, which is a long and tedious process involving restarting the computer approximately 592,176 times, waiting for that one moment where both the sound and Internet actually work at the same time.

...So that's why I say, no sound please. But of course it's your game, you can do what you want.

k:D

jediaction
08-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Sound's probably going to come last.

One of the main problems I have is that sounds like gunshots I download are prolonged in that each shot could be a 3 second clip.
There's the actual gunshot, but then it also includes the echo, which I definitely don't want.
In automatic fire, using these sounds there will be pauses inbetween the bursts.

Also, I definitely agree with jedi in that sound ups the quality of a game.
However, to Densetsu and all others who don't want sound, I'll release a version with no sound as well. :)

For now though, no sound. :(

BTW, if you find any good sound clips with no echo after the main gunshot, let me know. :D

But it storm. I found a way to have Echo gun shot sounds with automatic sounds.

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 11:14 AM
7-zip. It's free, powerful, and intuitive. Get it now. (http://www.7-zip.org/)

Just like in the ads.

x2495iiii
08-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Never hurts to advertise something that's free;).

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Never hurts to advertise something that's free;).

Hey guys! For all your learning-to-program needs, try ALICE!

Oh, and nice FPS. Could use a little more AI work though

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Could use a little more AI work though

Could you tell me what I need to work on?

BTW, update on what I'm doing.
Finished the AWP. Sniping is great.
Almost done with adding the MP5, I just need to add the reload animation.
I think the last weapon I'll add is either (or both) the revolver or a silenced pistol.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, there's the enemy seeing you (I think they should see you if you get too close or shoot near them), and also when the enemy shoots you, it gets kinda a weird feeling. It's hard to describe.

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 11:55 AM
(I think they should see you if you get too close or shoot near them)
Oh, yeah. I forgot to say, I now have it so that if you shoot anywhere regardless whether you hit or not, if the weapon isn't silenced, the enemy will look in your direction to see where the sound came from.

They do see you if you get close. Do you think I should make them able to see you from even further away?
Also note, they can see you very easily if you get up. Whenever you are lying down (like at the beginning), it is harder for you to be noticed.

when the enemy shoots you, it gets kinda a weird feeling. It's hard to describe.

Umm, not sure what to say about that. Could you be more specific?

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 02:45 PM
The "blood" effect could be better, and it makes you look up when you get hit.

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 04:32 PM
The "blood" effect could be better, and it makes you look up when you get hit.

Do you want the blood splatter like in Modern Warfare 2?
I could probably do that with a png billboard.

Looking up was intentional, as you would probably react to a bullet piercing your body. I'll make it come down again after you've been hit though.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Personally, I would prefer something other than blood, but sure, you can do MW2 style.

And my main problem with looking up when you get shot is that I'm usually already looking up.

On a completely off-topic note, I can't tell what your avatar says.

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 04:59 PM
1. Personally, I would prefer something other than blood, but sure, you can do MW2 style.

2. And my main problem with looking up when you get shot is that I'm usually already looking up.

3. On a completely off-topic note, I can't tell what your avatar says.

1. Yeh, some people might have a problem with blood, so that'll have to wait.

2. You're already looking up?

3. You can probably make out the AK-47 part. It's Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) holding an AK-47, and underneath it says:

AK-47

When you absolutely, positively have to kill every orc in the room.

;)

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes, I'm already looking up, because usually whan the guys shoot me they get to shoot me again...and again...and again...

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Ah, well, I've lessened the amount your vision shifts now (by half), so it shouldn't be too bad.
EDIT: It's lessened, as in your view comes down more. It still shifts up the same amount.

I'll post as soon as I finish the MP5 reload.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
That's good.

jediaction
08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Ah, well, I've lessened the amount your vision shifts now (by half), so it shouldn't be too bad.
EDIT: It's lessened, as in your view comes down more. It still shifts up the same amount.

I'll post as soon as I finish the MP5 reload.

Cool. Are there cutscenes coming?

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Cool. Are there cutscenes coming?

What? He's asking me to do work? AAHHH!!! :eek:

I really don't know, since school's coming up and I might slow down on this project. Depends if I have the energy to finish.

jediaction
08-23-2010, 08:36 AM
hmm, right so do as much as you can while you have the chance!

debussybunny563
08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm having difficulties with the MP5 reload sequence.

I can't seem to get the character (who is a knight, by the way) to pull back the charging handle. I blame it on the knight object and its weird pivot stuff and all (i.e. left arm turn left means turn backward, but not necessarily if you have him in a different pose-very confusing, no standard). Everything else is well.

I'll release this prematurely anyway. Boohoo.

Note:
The scoping in for the AWP isn't perfect, as I had to use two black squares on either side of the 'scope', so you might see flashes of white lines on the sides.
Aiming while scoping, you still turn at the same speed. I might make it less sensitive later, but for now this is what you get.
When you pull back the bolt of the AWP, it is also not that great, due to the same reasons as the MP5.
Also, the 'mag' of the MP5 is connected to 2 other (small) parts of the weapon, and is a flaw of the weapon model, not me.

Blah blah enjoy.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice work.

debussybunny563
08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Nice work.

Thnx.

I'm thinking revolver for final weapon.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah. I like revolvers. One of the few types of gun that I actually know what it is.

arty-fishL
08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Your going to run out of numbers to press for weapons soon! Nice range of good quality weapons.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
"To switch to the Giant Megalaser weapon, press the Home key."

Lol that would be funny.

debussybunny563
08-24-2010, 04:24 PM
"To switch to the Giant Megalaser weapon, press the Home key."

Lol that would be funny.

To switch to silenced pistol, hold Control+Alt+Delete.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
To change to the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher, press F12.

Or better yet, press Alt+F4.

debussybunny563
08-24-2010, 04:48 PM
LOL

Anyway, I've added (though I might polish it) sound!

Just the gunshots for now.

It takes an enormous amount of time for the forum to load my worlds (not their fault, it just takes time), and Internet runs VERY slow while I'm attaching the files (can't go to any other sites without waiting a minute or two for the page to load), so you won't see it now.

It works very smoothly and is a recursive event.
Designed it myself.

EDIT: I've noticed something about sounds.
If you put a sound method in a while event, once the 'while' in the event becomes false, the sound will continue playing until it's over.
And, while the sound is playing, the rest of the world stops playing, like a serious lag spike.

Also, for some reason, I can't modify the duration of the sound without it also pausing the rest of the world like I stated above. However, it seems like my friend (who has Alice on his Mac) can change durations of sounds without any problems.

jediaction
08-25-2010, 07:39 AM
To change to the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher, press F12.

Or better yet, press Alt+F4.

Do destroy computer. Press power button many times in a row until the screen turns black...:D

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-25-2010, 03:31 PM
You should totally make a weapon called the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher.

debussybunny563
08-25-2010, 05:10 PM
You should totally make a weapon called the Magical Pony's Grenade Launcher.

Ah, I tried making a grenade launcher before.

It'd be hard to get the effects just right (smoke, explosion, arc wouldn't be too bad, but still).

Might be able to make a penguin launcher though. ( ;) at x2495iiii)

BTW, just finished the gunshot sounds.
Very proud of my sound method, and it has practically no faults, as in the sound will never be out of sync.

I'll start working on the reload sounds soon. I'll also try muzzle flash.
However, something happens tomorrow and will continue to happen until June...

debussybunny563
08-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Also, I think I'll add a shotgun.

The M1014, or Benelli M4.

The revolver will have to wait. Besides, it's reload is more complex.

jediaction
08-27-2010, 09:28 AM
OOh. doo AA12. Automatic Shotgun. That will be cool

debussybunny563
08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
OOh. doo AA12. Automatic Shotgun. That will be cool

AAHHH! THE AA-12! YES! I'LL DEFINITELY ADD IT!

That is, if someone could get me the object.
I can't convert. :(

AA-12 is amazing. It'd have been one of the first weapons I would add, but sadly my gallery is limited.

I think I've pretty much used all the guns I can use (has to be reasonably high-quality), so if you want to see a certain weapon, you'll probably have to provide it yourself. :p

jediaction
08-28-2010, 08:17 AM
AAHHH! THE AA-12! YES! I'LL DEFINITELY ADD IT!

That is, if someone could get me the object.
I can't convert. :(

AA-12 is amazing. It'd have been one of the first weapons I would add, but sadly my gallery is limited.

I think I've pretty much used all the guns I can use (has to be reasonably high-quality), so if you want to see a certain weapon, you'll probably have to provide it yourself. :p

Didnt i just post like 300 weapons on the "post all your objects here" thread. If you didnt see it. I posted all of my objects...99%

debussybunny563
08-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Didnt i just post like 300 weapons on the "post all yoru objects here" thread. If you didnt see it. I posted all of my objects...99%

Uh, I'm pretty sure the AA-12 isn't in there.

Also, many of the weapons there are grouped with hands and have weird pivot points. (A good collection nonetheless)

jediaction
08-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure the AA-12 isn't in there.

Also, many of the weapons there are grouped with hands and have weird pivot points. (A good collection nonetheless)

Yah well. I didnt make them and the AA12 isnt there. I just posted everybodys models

debussybunny563
08-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Here's a new version with (incomplete) sound.

So far, gunshots and reloading is it.
I might change some of the gunshot sounds later, as I recently did, because some are unrealistic.

I listen to some clips on YouTube, and from there pick the sound from my collection that is most suitable.

Blah blah and enjoy.

Also, to Densetsu and all others who don't want sound, do you want a new version devoid of sound, or just an option at the beginning (ask user for yes or no or similar) that lets you switch inbetween?
Either one wouldn't be difficult to do.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Hmm...I like the idea of having an option, so if in some rare freak of nature my speakers decide to work, I can listen.

It's good so far.

x2495iiii
08-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Ugh.

Pick one. (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=aa-12&styp=m&btnG=Search)

debussybunny563
08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Frankly, they all suck. :p lol

Ugh.

Pick this one. (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=f089c4ff1f18d422e965252a2862841d&prevstart=0)

x2495iiii
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Well, if they all suck then there's no point in importing a model that will lower the overall quality of your graphics. If you can find a better one though, let me know.

debussybunny563
08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
I'll find something in an edit. :D

EDIT: Uh, well, this isn't the AA-12, but it's very good.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=807ee3bd28eb3ad78d140709f0b1e40c&prevstart=12

If you could, please separate the box mag as a subpart.
Thnx!

debussybunny563
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
(rant deleted)

Basically, Alice "was unable to resolve some stupid references", which is its own fault, so I am sorely disappointed. Oh well.

EDIT: OK, fixed, as in I made up all the work Alice destroyed.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Unable to resolve references...hmm, I've never seen that before. I hate it when I lose work because of some bug though.

Plus that critical save error still makes me jump every time I see it.

debussybunny563
08-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Basically, I dragged an object into a group, and it, for some reason or other disappeared.

So, when I try to open the world again, everything that references the object is in trouble, because the object's not there. Pressing "Undo" only brings up an unknown (haha) error. So I had to use a backup from 2 days earlier.

It's kind of like deleting an object manually, where it brings up that pop-up box that allows you to remove all references to the object in your world, but except you can't actually do that, and your work is lost.

Fortunately, I hadn't done too much work (mostly just rearranging/adding sounds), so there are no more problems (for now ;) )

arty-fishL
08-31-2010, 11:03 AM
lol

CURSE YOU, ALICE!

YOU INSECURE LITTLE PROGRAM THINGY!

ALL I DID WAS DRAG AND DROP AN OBJECT INTO A GROUP, AND YOU (expletive) UP!

NOW I'VE LOST ALL OF TODAY'S WORK, AND NORMALLY WHEN YOU MAKE TONS OF BACKUPS, THERE'S ONLY ONE FROM TODAY, AND THAT ONE'S CORRUPT TOO!

DARN YOU TO HECK, LOUSY PROGRAM!!!

haha, I wasnt on within those 10 minutes of posting and editing, but I got it in an email cos I done the subscription thingy, so lol.

debussybunny563
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, lol.

Got just a little upset... :D

debussybunny563
08-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Okay, just finished the M1014 shotgun.

Once again, there's a formula, so that you can "miss" the target (like your aim is off) by more the further away you are.
Basically, I added spread. Nice little feature.

I'll post later, probably.

EDIT: Finished the AA-12 as well, with this model: AA-12, by x2495iiii (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4936)

debussybunny563
09-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Alice messed up again.

Once again it has to do with drag-and-drop, though not because I misplaced something.

*sigh*

Got it fixed, I think.

x2495iiii
09-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Got to be careful when copying stuff. Especially if the copied tile is the condition for an if/else if statement. That'll quite often drop properly, then cause loads of errors, from switching of all tiles copied from the original, to the inability to delete any of the faulty statements due to non-existent references.

Alice is a fickle girl, to be sure.

debussybunny563
09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
*sigh*

My first critical save error.

Got it fixed.
What I do is I have the corrupt world kept open, and open a backup in another window, and copy what I changed.

Very upset.

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-02-2010, 07:36 PM
:eek:FIRST?!?:eek:

My first was way back in 2008...

I still carry the scars...

debussybunny563
09-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Got muzzle flash working for the AA-12, and am planning to implement it for the other weapons soon.

x2495iiii
09-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Nice. Glad that model worked out for you and that the red screen o' death didn't squish your motivation.

debussybunny563
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice. Glad that model worked out for you and that the red screen o' death didn't squish your motivation.

It was an excellent model, despite the "faults," which was just me being extremely picky. :p
As always, your models are very nicely done. :D

RED screen of death? Looked like a normal error message for me. Mainly gray and white with black text.

Motivation? What's that? Can I eat it?

Yeah, errors really do take my life away. I always figure the easiest solution is to open up another Alice application with a non-corrupted file, and go back and forth to fix it up. Since you can keep the original, corrupted version open, I find this to be effective.

As for muzzle flash, I used your explosion that flashed repeatedly, and it looks very nice.

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Red screen of death? Don't know what it is?

In Alice 2.0 (not sure about 2.2), when a critical save error occurs, the background color of the Alice window changes to red, hence the term "red screen of death". It can be very frightening for those who have not encountered it before. Also, the only things I know that can cause it are having certain methods in the code and/or having Malwarebytes' Anti-malware open when saving.

Good work on the game, by the way.

debussybunny563
09-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Red screen of death? Don't know what it is?

In Alice 2.0 (not sure about 2.2), when a critical save error occurs, the background color of the Alice window changes to red, hence the term "red screen of death". It can be very frightening for those who have not encountered it before. Also, the only things I know that can cause it are having certain methods in the code and/or having Malwarebytes' Anti-malware open when saving.

Good work on the game, by the way.

Ah. In 2.2 the screen color doesn't change or tint, so it's a little less scary.
Might as well post the game now anyway.
Flash is still only for the AA-12, and I revamped a couple things, like shell wobble. When the cartridge exits the chamber, you'll notice that its tilted a random number of degrees.

A cool thing about the M1014 reload is that if you've only fired 3 shells, you'll only reload 3 shells.

Bugs and problems:
Alice occasionally generates an error saying "out of memory".
Though it's still only ~13 MB, I guess it's a little too complicated for Alice to handle.

BTW, I can use Mama to make an .exe file for people who don't have Alice.
Only catch is you need java installed to open it, which unfortunately I don't. :(

Oh well. Questions, comments, suggestions, errors, report to me, blah, blah.

Also, X, if you can get the M249 converted, that would be great, but if it's too high poly or something I understand.
Since the AA-12 and M249 are very high-powered, I'd probably make them something that you have to unlock.

As usual, feedback is welcome. Yay.

debussybunny563
09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Working on compass.
Just need a compass billboard.

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Good joerb, bunny.

debussybunny563
09-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Good joerb, bunny.

Thanks.

I made a version today with mouse control.

All credit goes to zenteo for this method.
Using scripting, if your mouse hits the edge of the screen, it will immediately move to the opposite edge.

PLEASE READ:
Press the red square in the middle of the screen to start.
Press Q to exit mouse control.

EDIT: Also finished up the muzzle flash. Enemies respawn quicker too.
And, in case I haven't said it before, there are sounds for reloading and footsteps as well.

Tell me what you think! :D

Also, to those of you who have played other computer FPS games, do you think I should make the recoil heavier? Most FPS's require you to drag down on the mouse substantially to keep your aim on target, and I think I may do the same.

Anyway, my first update in a while (by my terms ;) )

jediaction
09-05-2010, 06:43 PM
good but cant turn the camera

debussybunny563
09-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Are you using the mouse?
I made it utilize mouse control.

Mouse to turn, left mouse button to shoot.

Don't forget the instructions for start-up:
Click the red square in the center of the screen to start detection.
Press 'Q' at any time to exit mouse control.

BTW, the compass always points to the POLIZEI. Eventually I'll make it point to the objective, once I make one ;) .

jediaction
09-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Are you using the mouse?
I made it utilize mouse control.

Mouse to turn, left mouse button to shoot.

Don't forget the instructions for start-up:
Click the red square in the center of the screen to start detection.
Press 'Q' at any time to exit mouse control.

BTW, the compass always points to the POLIZEI. Eventually I'll make it point to the objective, once I make one ;) .

Uh yes i am...

debussybunny563
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Strange. :confused:

If it works (or doesn't work) for anyone else, please let me know.

Make sure you are clicking the square in the middle. It may be a bit small, so keep trying to click until it starts to track.

And BTW, update and all, I devised a map/radar tracker in real time that I'll be adding soon.
Also revised the reticle so it's a "legit" fps crosshair.

Here's the map link: debussybunny563's map (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=24995#post24995)

arty-fishL
09-07-2010, 01:12 PM
It works fine. This is brilliant. But I miss being able to use the keyboard.

x2495iiii
09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
It immediately generates a world-stopping error when I run it. Seems to happen a lot for me. There's probably an event or two in there that get interrupted.

debussybunny563
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Are you using 2.2?

jediaction
09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Strange. :confused:

If it works (or doesn't work) for anyone else, please let me know.

Make sure you are clicking the square in the middle. It may be a bit small, so keep trying to click until it starts to track.

And BTW, update and all, I devised a map/radar tracker in real time that I'll be adding soon.
Also revised the reticle so it's a "legit" fps crosshair.

Here's the map link: debussybunny563's map (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=24995#post24995)

that was never there. Hmm, mabye i was playing the wrong versin.

debussybunny563
09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
that was never there. Hmm, mabye i was playing the wrong versin.

Ack. Confusion.

The map and new crosshair are currently in MY version that I have yet to post.

Mouse control is now.

Could you explain exactly what's wrong?

Anyway, I'm glad it works for you, Arty, 'cause then I can blame other people for the fact it's not working for them. :D

jediaction
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
No button turns the camera

debussybunny563
09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
No button turns the camera

LOL

The mouse. :D

Hahaha jedi you click the little red square (looks like a dot) that's in the middle of the screen, and then it will track your movements with the mouse.

Arty, could you perhaps explain it better?

x2495iiii
09-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Are you using 2.2?

I've found that it happens with both versions for me. It's actually a little worse with 2.2.

But no, I was using 2.0.

debussybunny563
09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I've found that it happens with both versions for me. It's actually a little worse with 2.2.

But no, I was using 2.0.

Argh.

As I said earlier, since it works for Arty, I'm blaming you. :D

x2495iiii
09-08-2010, 01:56 AM
You can do that, I suppose.

Or you could be professional about it and fix it by simply relocating the offending events to methods which perform the exact same action but don't generate an error. You know.

jediaction
09-08-2010, 07:42 AM
LOL

The mouse. :D

Hahaha jedi you click the little red square (looks like a dot) that's in the middle of the screen, and then it will track your movements with the mouse.

Arty, could you perhaps explain it better?

um, yes i "would see that" im not a beginner to these games. I've even made one. There was no dot

arty-fishL
09-08-2010, 10:54 AM
There is a dot. Download it again, check your opening the correct one, ive got so many now since they all have varied names.

There is a red dot (square) in the middle of the reticule (crosshairs?), click it.

x2495iiii
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
There is a dot. Download it again, check your opening the correct one, ive got so many now since they all have varied names.

There is a red dot (square) in the middle of the reticule (crosshairs?), click it.

A reticule is a small handbag used by women to carry things and is similar to a change purse.

A reticle is an icon or marking on the scope of a gun or on an hud that assists in aiming by marking where the projectile will hit.

debussybunny563
09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
You can do that, I suppose.

Or you could be professional about it and fix it by simply relocating the offending events to methods which perform the exact same action but don't generate an error. You know.

Let me ask you a question.
Unless you won't let me ask a question.

But anyway, look under your world functions. Scroll down to the "Advanced Math" section. At the very bottom of that section, do you have the function, "int <a> as a string"?

Oh wait, I feel stupid now... :o
Just realized that it isn't in the old version that I have uploaded, it's in my current version. My bad. :p

Anyway, there's a reason I have events terminate, and I also have it set up with terminating events/methods so that the chance it will cause an error is very, very slim.
As usual, it's difficult to explain, so I won't.

debussybunny563
09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Here's what I do:
-Have a "while variable is true" event, with the method in the "during" section.
-Through experience, the method CAN be terminated while it's running, but it can still generate an error IN CERTAIN PLACES of the method.
-Also through experience, you can set the variable to false in any part of the method and it won't generate an error; it's only after you have ANOTHER animation set to happen at the same time WHILE the method is being terminated that causes the error; once again this only happens in CERTAIN PARTS.
-So, I have a variable in the method set to true while those certain parts are happening.
-Now I'm going to use an example.
The enemy can attack as long as the "canattack" function is true, which requires that the enemy cannot be dead.
When the enemy dies, of course, the attack method will have to be terminated.
This is fine AS LONG AS there are no animations afterwards and it's not in one of the aforementioned critical areas, but since there are animations to follow, it causes a problem.
One of the critical areas was the running portion, and so I had a variable become set to true while the enemy is running, and false when he's done.
To solve the error problem, I added a "while <running> = true", with "do nothing" inside to the beginning of the die method, right after "enemy.dead" is set to true.
This way, the death will terminate the method, but it will wait for any of the critical areas to finish before it starts a conflicting animation.
If you've noticed, sometimes the enemies in the game don't die immediately, and that is because they were still doing one of the methods described above, and it had to wait so for it to finish so that no error would be generated (although very few may sneak in).

Quitter.

I don't quit. I just take extended breaks. :)

jediaction
09-09-2010, 07:34 AM

AHHHHH. I thought that was part of the crossairs. Oops, ok thanks

debussybunny563
09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Here's a look at my new HUD.

Top left: Real-time radar/tracker
Enemies show up as red dots, and you are the blue dot in the center.
When and enemy dies, the dot disappears, and reappears when they respawn.

Bottom left: Compass
Simply points "north," which for the time being is one of the crates.

Bottom right: Ammo
Shows how much ammo is currently in your magazine.

Along the very bottom edge: Magazines
Shows how many magazines you have left. Each fully colored in parallelogram represents a mag.

Above the mag display: Health
The health bar doesn't shrink, but rather changes color to show your health. Green is 50% or above, yellow is 37.5% to 50%, orange is 25% to 37.5%, and red is 25% and below.

Also notice (especially you jedi ;)) that it shows you where to click at the beginning.

I revised the weapon system so that you can only choose two weapons at the beginning and you stick with them. W and R to switch between them.
The only exception is the Desert Eagle. If you go into last stand, you use the Desert Eagle and have full ammo for it. Even after you exit last stand, you can still use it.
However, once you switch to a different weapon, you can't switch back to it, it'll be replaced by what you originally chose as your secondary.

jediaction
09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Here's a look at my new HUD.

Top left: Real-time radar/tracker
Enemies show up as red dots, and you are the blue dot in the center.
When and enemy dies, the dot disappears, and reappears when they respawn.

Bottom left: Compass
Simply points "north," which for the time being is one of the crates.

Bottom right: Ammo
Shows how much ammo is currently in your magazine.

Along the very bottom edge: Magazines
Shows how many magazines you have left. Each fully colored in parallelogram represents a mag.

Above the mag display: Health
The health bar doesn't shrink, but rather changes color to show your health. Green is 50% or above, yellow is 37.5% to 50%, orange is 25% to 37.5%, and red is 25% and below.

Also notice (especially you jedi ;)) that it shows you where to click at the beginning.

I revised the weapon system so that you can only choose two weapons at the beginning and you stick with them. W and R to switch between them.
The only exception is the Desert Eagle. If you go into last stand, you use the Desert Eagle and have full ammo for it. Even after you exit last stand, you can still use it.
However, once you switch to a different weapon, you can't switch back to it, it'll be replaced by what you originally chose as your secondary.

IM amazed of how good this game is. Your really good. I cant wait to see the final version. Even though we helped you on this. This is very good. Post the version with the hud

This is a good game to make online

debussybunny563
09-09-2010, 05:22 PM
The Forums are giving me trouble with uploading my attachment right now. I'll get it up as soon as possible.

EDIT: OK, got it up. Enjoy! :D

OK, here it is with the new HUD.

Also made it so that the higher the difficulty, the more recoil there is.
UMP is a beast to contain on Veteran, and AA-12 may no longer be your low-recoil shotgun buddy (though since it's a shotgun, the spread is usually enough to take care of vertical displacement).

Filesize has gotten reasonably large, and up 'till recently I've gotten a ton of errors, but they were errors stating "Out of Memory!" Ever since I restricted weapons to only a primary and secondary, that error has never again come up, even after I emptied all my ammo on both weapons.
A good sign, I suppose.

Final things to add:
-Start Screen
It'll have difficulty options, as well as weapon classes to choose from.
If I were feeling particularly jedi, I might add reticle and camo customization. ;)

-Mission/Gameplay
Suggestions would definitely be welcome.

I'm thinking that it'll be a "blow up the objective" kind of thing where you have to get to a building and destroy it by planting a bomb. After the bomb has been planted, you'll get inside a helicopter and man the minigun, and fly away to avoid being blown up yourself. Finally, the building will explode in a cinematic slow motion scene, while you're still in the heli, and you win. (*Mission Success*)

Of course, you can bombard me with your own ideas.

jediaction
09-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Unable to load world!

debussybunny563
09-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Unable to load world!

ARRGHHH! More problems!

Why is it unable?
What does it say?

jediaction
09-09-2010, 09:14 PM
ARRGHHH! More problems!

Why is it unable?
What does it say?

I knew you would ask...and my prepared answer....

It says

Nothing. Just error Cannot load world. Why? It just locks up on loading...nothing else

Dameria
09-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Same here: "Unable to load world"

debussybunny563
09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
I think that some other people were still able to open and play the world, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Anyway, try this one: (updated as well, but with my gameplay WIP disabled)
PRESS SPACE TO JUMP. One added feature.

AND PLEASE, IF YOU DOWNLOAD THE GAME, TELL ME IF IT WORKS OR NOT.

FatRefrigerator
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Message that i got:

Unable to load world

Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005

os.name: Windows NT (unknown)

os.version: 6.1

os.arch: x86

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03

user.dir: D:\Alice\Required

Throwable that caused the error:

edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.ExceptionWrapper: ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1498)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1483)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1531)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadE lementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPa ne.java:36)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(Prog ressPane.java:82)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Wrapped exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1448)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.Element.load(Element. java:1531)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.LoadE lementProgressPane.construct(LoadElementProgressPa ne.java:36)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.progress.ProgressPane$2.run(Prog ressPane.java:82)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

debussybunny563
09-13-2010, 02:22 PM
OK, I'm frustrated now.

Just do this, and respond yes or no.
In your version of Alice, whether it be 2.2 or 2.0, go into the world functions tab.
Go down the list of functions, and stop at advanced math. Near the bottom of the list, is there a function called "int <a> as a String"?

If not, then we may have problems.

I have two reasons for assuming this is the cause of the problems.
1. In Mama, which some of you know is basically a vamped version of Alice 2.0/2.2, I couldn't import my a2w world because Mama didn't have that function either. Therefore I have reason to believe that some of you may lack that as well.
2. This showed up in the error: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.ExceptionWrapper: ClassNotFoundException: edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.math.Int
Notice the math.Int part at the end. Also notice the function is "int <a> as a String."

If the world does not load for you, and you also lack this function, then say so. If otherwise, please also tell me. I believe you are missing out on a great game.

FatRefrigerator
09-14-2010, 10:53 PM
OK, I'm frustrated now.

Just do this, and respond yes or no.
In your version of Alice, whether it be 2.2 or 2.0, go into the world functions tab.
Go down the list of functions, and stop at advanced math. Near the bottom of the list, is there a function called "int <a> as a String"?

If not, then we may have problems.

I have two reasons for assuming this is the cause of the problems.
1. In Mama, which some of you know is basically a vamped version of Alice 2.0/2.2, I couldn't import my a2w world because Mama didn't have that function either. Therefore I have reason to believe that some of you may lack that as well.
2. This showed up in the error:
Notice the math.Int part at the end. Also notice the function is "int <a> as a String."

If the world does not load for you, and you also lack this function, then say so. If otherwise, please also tell me. I believe you are missing out on a great game.

Yeah, it doesn't load or say "int <a> as a String." in the functions.

debussybunny563
09-15-2010, 02:03 PM
GOOD! Yay! Problem solved!

Next update will simply change the int <a> as a String to something else, though that is the only way I know (that works, all that random number function with intonly="true" stuff doesn't work for me) to get rid of the .0 at the end of the ammo count, but I guess it's not a big deal.

Anyway, glad to hear that! It'll be fixed.

Dameria
09-15-2010, 02:23 PM
You can also use the way that I do it, using the random number function with the variable as the lowest and highest number and just putting the "is integer" value to true.

debussybunny563
09-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Next update will simply change the int <a> as a String to something else, though that is the only way I know (that works, all that random number function with intonly="true" stuff doesn't work for me) to get rid of the .0 at the end of the ammo count, but I guess it's not a big deal.

Uh, I've tried that before, and it never works.(see quote)

For example, on your maze game, the timer still displays the .0 at the end.

The only solution that works for me is the int <a> as a String (except possible zonedabone's scripting thingy, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Dameria
09-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Maybe you have a version of Alice that none of us have. Either you downloaded a new one and we all still have old ones, or you have an edited version that no one else has?

debussybunny563
09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Maybe you have a version of Alice that none of us have. Either you downloaded a new one and we all still have old ones, or you have an edited version that no one else has?

I HIGHLY doubt it's edited, and I do remember in one of the threads talking about the .0 that someone else mentioned int <a> as a String as well, so I know I'm not the only one.

On one occasion I did go to Help > Update Software, so maybe that's it. That was before I was Alice proficient, so I don't know if that new function was there before I updated or not (nor do I know what exactly "update software" does).

Anyway, I'll change it back to the random number thing, so even though it won't work for me, hopefully it'll work for you guys.

Dameria
09-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Nope, I don't have that. The last one on my list there is "the (b)th root of (a)"

debussybunny563
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
OK, recently swapped out the AK 47 for... an AK47. Yeah, I know.

The new model is actually much better, without it bringing down the system with a terribly high polygonal count. The quality is so good that you can actually see all three prongs on the front sight, which was previously just one big post.

Of course, the pivot wasn't placed as I'd have liked, and I needed two "dummies," (or squares) to fix all orientation and movement issues.

Oh well.

I'm not making much progress right now, basically because I'm having a mind blank with what to do. I guess I'll try to work on scenery/collision with the scenery. There'll be a path to the airport/base that you'll have to follow.

Whatevah. I guess I (you) 'll have to wait and see. *sigh* (not really)

Dameria
09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Maybe you could import the world into Mama, turn it into an executable file, and then send us the .exe on a website like www.sendspace.com?

debussybunny563
09-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe you could import the world into Mama, turn it into an executable file, and then send us the .exe on a website like www.sendspace.com?

Why would I want to do that?

Dameria
09-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Um... so that we can see your program? As far as I know, the executable file would be able to run just like the alice world, so we would be able to download your program and play it normally. Even better, we would not be able to view or tamper with your source code.

debussybunny563
09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Um... so that we can see your program? As far as I know, the executable file would be able to run just like the alice world, so we would be able to download your program and play it normally. Even better, we would not be able to view or tamper with your source code.

Aha, my friend, realize you do not.

There are problems with Alice and her Mama.
At least, in my world, which is in no way to say Wonderland.

Basically, my world has certain issues when imported into Mama.
First of all, Mama also lacks the int <a> function. Go figure.
Secondly, zent's mouse aiming script doesn't seem to like Alice's mother either. Seemingly (at least what her mom told me) there is incorrect syntax or whatever (she probably doesn't like the language he uses), so whenever your mouse does hit the edge of the screen, error pops up.

Besides, the lack of int <a> as a String isn't at all a big deal.
It's used ONCE. Extremely easy fix.

Also note the bad jokes.

Dameria
09-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok, then post the fixed program that you were going to post before.

debussybunny563
09-15-2010, 07:49 PM
OK, I'm uploading in an edit.

Just letting you know, that even with Google Chrome (which, unlike Firefox, accurately measures in percentages the progress of the attachment), this is gonna take a while...

EDIT: Okay, got it up!

Nothing is really enhanced besides the AK, so sorry to disappoint. :p
Actually, I did change the side-to-side recoil of all the weapons so that it actually is a random amount.
Instead of
If (choose true <50>% of the time)
Turn left blah revolutions
Else
Turn right blah revolutions

I simply modified it to a random number function. Whatev.

This one better work for you... OR ELSE.
(DensetsuNoKaboom: or else what?
Me: ... ... ...idk)

As usual, give comments and feedback, as now you can actually OPEN the world.

Enjoy! :D

Fritz
09-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Question, what objects do you use for your hands?

FatRefrigerator
09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
you gotta make it so the world starts with something other than "world.Directions". and even once i got past that, it still wouldn't work.

i got it to load, but not to play.

debussybunny563
09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Question, what objects do you use for your hands?

I use the knight character from the object gallery.

you gotta make it so the world starts with something other than "world.Directions". and even once i got past that, it still wouldn't work.

i got it to load, but not to play.

What do you mean?

"World start with something other than world.Directions?"

In case you are a very simple beginner and would not happen to know anything about Alice, there are more methods and functions and events and parameters and variables and poses that you were perhaps devoid of acknowledging what or where they were located, both in the program and in my program.
And if this is the case, I recommend you spend a couple months actually trying to learn something useful about how to do simple things in Alice like create a new method.

So, back to my point/question, world.Directions obviously contains directions as to what to do when you play the world, which your current intellectual level clearly indicates you are incapable of doing.
Everything else, which encompasses basically everything needed for the world to run, is located in the other methods, object variables/poses, object functions, and in the event panel.

For future reference, actually know something about the situation before you post about it.

In other words, what the heck do you mean by "you should start with something other than world.Directions" and why won't it play (error message or similar).
And, sorry if I sounded overly condescending, I may have been apprehensive and/or had misconceptions.

the gaate
09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
I tried the Game and got it to load like the other guy. I got this error message when i tried to run it.

Error during world start.

Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005

os.name: Windows NT (unknown)

os.version: 6.1

os.arch: x86

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03

user.dir: C:\Users\The Gaate\Desktop\Alice\Required

java.lang.Exception: No throwable given. Here's the stack trace:

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.Error ContentPane.writeThrowableToTextPane(ErrorContentP ane.java:67)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.Error ContentPane.preDialogShow(ErrorContentPane.java:43 )

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.swing.DialogManager.showDialog(D ialogManager.java:122)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.showErrorDialog(AuthoringTool.java:2915)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.showErrorDialog(AuthoringTool.java:2907)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.worldRun(AuthoringTool.java:4977)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.play(AuthoringTool.java:5061)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.Actions$15.a ctionPerformed(Actions.java:167)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unk nown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.act ionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed (Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseRe leased(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent( Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(U nknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unkno wn Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierar chy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

FatRefrigerator
09-17-2010, 10:47 AM
it says that the method "world.Directions" is not called by anything.

and I figured out on my own how to make helicopters spin their props and continue to perform actions using "for all" commands on my first day, but thank you for the wonderfully kind comments above.

debussybunny563
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
it says that the method "world.Directions" is not called by anything.

They're just the directions, so the method it isn't called in the world.
The only things it contains are comments, which don't modify anything during runtime, so using it in the events would be a waste.

and I figured out on my own how to make helicopters spin their props and continue to perform actions using "for all" commands on my first day, but thank you for the wonderfully kind comments above.

Congratulations! I must have been in a bad mood that day... :(
Good luck in the future! :D

debussybunny563
09-18-2010, 10:21 AM
An update on what I'm doing.

I've added terrain with collision, courtesy of Zenteo, who made the terrain builder that I used. The terrain also works for all the enemies as well, but this causes lag issues that I'll look into.

I'm also adding a new weapon, the AUG, and consequently have deleted the MP5 and P90 to free up some space.

jediaction
09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, i am the 200th reply

debussybunny563
09-18-2010, 04:23 PM
but this causes lag issues that I'll look into.

It now has a lot less lag, but depending on how robust your computer is (I'm using a laptop, and it works well), you may have some issues.

I'm going to finish up the AUG, and I'll post, but it may takes some time.

Meanwhile, here's something to keep you busy:
You are currently overlooking the enemies on hilly terrain with the AUG.

jediaction
09-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Actually, 201st. :p

EDIT: Oh wait, REPLIES. Eh, yeah, 201st post, 200th reply.
You win. :mad:

You should of just not posted the comment

jediaction
09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
There. It's gone. I'll be deleting this message soon too, after you've viewed it.
At least I don't care for just increasing my post count. *ahem* *ahem*
jk ;)

oh ok

jediaction
09-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah, lol.
WHAT NOW, JEDI!

WORD!

lololol (I'll be deleting this soon too, after jedi sees it)
EDIT: Oh, you're online. OK, will delete shortly.

That ooooh was for you.. OOH!!, what now!!

jediaction
09-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I really dont think it was. X quoted (not me)

debussybunny563...whats with the "what now" you didnt strike or do anything...

debussybunny563
09-20-2010, 02:08 PM
At least I don't care for just increasing my post count. *ahem* *ahem*

It's deleted now (like I said I would), but I was suggesting that it might apply to some people on the forums.

*cough* *cough* jedi *cough* *cough*
I realize you don't do that anymore, all meant as a joke. :)

Your choice as to whether I should delete this message too. ;)

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
...what just happened?

debussybunny563
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM
lol u missed evrythng.

First off, jedi commented saying yay, 200th reply.
Then, I noticed "#201" next to his post, and replied with "No, you were the 201st," followed by a screenshot showing the "#201."
Then, I realized that number meant the number of the POST, not REPLY, so I went back in an edit saying that it was the 200th post, and that jedi wins.

Then, jedi, the snooty one, has to say "you shouldn't have commented in the first place then." (Oh yeah? You shouldn't have commented about yours being the 200th post!)
So, I posted saying I'd delete that post, which I did, and also stated that at least I didn't just go around intentionally increasing my post count. To emphasize this, I deleted this post too.
Dameria commented, saying there should be a "like" button on each post, but then, in good spirit, deletes that message too.
Of course, the Super Duper Moderator of all mushroom mallows comes and makes everything complicated by quoting the previous post, and saying "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh......"
So then I make a joke to jedi, as a response to X's criticism, but then jedi, being his silly old self, decided that I was trying to attack him or something debussybunny563...whats with the "what now" you didnt strike or do anything...
Once again, Dameria interjects, but deletes that post, once again in good spirit of not increasing the post count.

x2495iiii
09-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah that ooooh was for you, jedi. It was a burn for him to talk about increasing post counts.

And you guys know I could undelete all those posts if I felt like it. It's not like they're breaking any rules.

Dameria
09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
And you guys know I could undelete all those posts if I felt like it. It's not like they're breaking any rules.

Yeah but we also have the right to delete posts that we think is unnecessary, thats why they have the "delete post" button.

x2495iiii
09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I suppose so.

Course that's boring, though.

shaydon
09-20-2010, 11:49 PM
um..

SHUT UP! (not u x but every one else who is talking for the sake of it)

Great Game btw!
loving the animations and the way you can choose your weapons
bit laggy on my pc

it is quite annoying how the enemy's re-spawn where they die

want the next version!

x2495iiii
09-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Yay! I get to talk for the sake of it!

How bout them Yankees?

Lovely weather lately.

Listen to any good music?

I like The Wizard of Oz.

jediaction
09-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I suppose so.

Course that's boring, though.

So thats where my posts are going. I post something. And then the next day, its gone......so its you! This is a really long thread. Someone look at my Halo Reach thread

x2495iiii
09-21-2010, 07:53 AM
That may or may not be me, actually. I haven't deleted any posts recently. I do merge double-posts on occasion, though.

I don't play Halo, so I looked, but didn't touch (so to speak).

debussybunny563
09-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Just an update on what I'm doing.

Currently there's less direct work being done (actually, practically none at all), but that doesn't mean I ain't workin' on it or have given up.

School is one factor, but I'm mostly just experimenting with new methods. First of all, I'm transitioning into more pose-based work, instead of animating each step. This also allows for more flexibility in terms of using one method for several objects using parameters.

Also working on AI improvement.

Basically, I'm in an experimental stage, so it might be a while before I get serious work done.