PDA

View Full Version : Top Down Shooter

x2495iiii
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I got inspired to make one after playing Alien Swarm (get it for free on Steam, it's pretty awesome). A few things I want to set straight:

-This isn't a full game and it isn't a demo either. It's more of a foundation for making something cool.

-There's a weird glitch where the tank and/or the turret move up towards the camera. Quite odd indeed.

-WASD to move, click to fire.

The turret is supposed to turn to face your mouse. If it doesn't work, let me know so I can come up with some kind of calibration thing.

Well, I'm going to work now. Hope you likey!

arty-fishL
08-03-2010, 04:12 PM
wow, very good animations on the explosion, works well. I like 2D games just as much as 3D games. Nice graphics. Follows the mouse fine in the right settings.
But; it is quite easy right now and nothing seems to happen if you let the enemies crash into you. Also it will need calibration, as it only works in Alice's default 400x300, which looks horribly tiny on my screen (1440x900), (I play worlds in 900x675). Calibration is easy though.
Altogether it looks to be very good. You make simple games very well.
great!

arty-fishL
08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
????? - its following the mouse fine now.

x2495iiii
08-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Like I said, weird bugs and not a full game...yet. I was going to tinker with it some more. Thanks for the positive feedback though arty.

Anyone actually tried Alien Swarm yet? Anyone here even heard of Steam?

arty-fishL
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
No and no:confused:

Dameria
08-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I have steam but I have never heard of Alien Swarm. The game is really good.

x2495iiii
08-07-2010, 03:53 PM
If you have a decent computer (my totally-not-meant-for-gaming laptop can run it) you should be able to run it, and since it's free, the only limitations are in your hardware.

Main page: www.alienswarm.com

Download it here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Swarm

I liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, so this was right up my alley.

arty-fishL
08-07-2010, 07:08 PM
well I have a computer that should be decent, but isnt cos it freezes every 2 seconds and the cpu usage shoots way up randomly

jediaction
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I got inspired to make one after playing Alien Swarm (get it for free on Steam, it's pretty awesome). A few things I want to set straight:

-This isn't a full game and it isn't a demo either. It's more of a foundation for making something cool.

-There's a weird glitch where the tank and/or the turret move up towards the camera. Quite odd indeed.

-WASD to move, click to fire.

The turret is supposed to turn to face your mouse. If it doesn't work, let me know so I can come up with some kind of calibration thing.

Well, I'm going to work now. Hope you likey!

Uh. Nice explosions but the tank treds is really really weird.

arty-fishL
08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
-WASD to move oh - right - didnt notice that, ive just been playing this from a static position.

jediaction
08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
oh - right - didnt notice that, ive just been playing this from a static position.

oh. Haha, yah, the tank treds move really weird when you press two keys at once.

x2495iiii
08-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Well, I changed some more stuff, though it's still not finished. Not sure what jedi means by "tred is really really weird" since the treads look and turn pretty normally to me.

Whatevs.

Added a crosshair and a calibration method activated by pressing 0. Also added another tank and some more interesting stuff that happens when you blow up the tanks. Fixed some bugs, found some other bugs, and I'm working on a basic means of collision detection for enemies on enemies.

room14
08-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Well, I changed some more stuff, though it's still not finished. Not sure what jedi means by "tred is really really weird" since the treads look and turn pretty normally to me.

Whatevs.

Added a crosshair and a calibration method activated by pressing 0. Also added another tank and some more interesting stuff that happens when you blow up the tanks. Fixed some bugs, found some other bugs, and I'm working on a basic means of collision detection for enemies on enemies.

One bug that I got is that it is unable to load. :)

room14
08-09-2010, 03:00 AM
never mid:o

x2495iiii
08-09-2010, 03:05 AM
I was gonna say, problem's on your end then, not mine. So what did you think of it then?

room14
08-09-2010, 03:14 AM
great. but I think it should be calibrated at the start.

jediaction
08-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Whatevs.

I mean, if you press two keys at the same time to move. It will go the first direction with the treds facing the other way. Its looks odd

x2495iiii
08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Not really a big problem in my opinion, especially since I made sure pressing keys normally looks perfect, so only goofs pressing buttons goofily will cause stuff like that.

Here's one with an ammo system and a reload method (press r). Cool stuff.

x2495iiii
08-10-2010, 03:54 AM
This has become more of a stable version archive than a sharing of a WIP since no one cares about it, but here's the next version.

+Faster reloading and increased reloading speed support. Several errors encountered when making faster reloading loops. Apparently running it until the loop reaches the ending index (just before the number of times specified) causes an odd form of indexOutOfRange error. Easily circumvented, but I shouldn't have to. Lousy Alice.

+New weapon: Rosethorn Laser. Kills in one shot and pierces through enemies (beam collision needs work), reloads after every shot and cannot be fired continuously. Very proud of the texture. Looks great and didn't take too long.

+Fixed stupid treads issue. Bah.

+Added loading screen (set opacity to 100 to see it). Required since setup of the world (the ammo display) takes several seconds even with all commands set to durations of 0 seconds.

+Renamed the primary weapon the SWAG (SWiss Army Gatling), since it's primary feature will be versatility and customization. Plan to include the ability to change bullet spread, rate of fire, reload speed, and even color of bullets if desired.

World's done attaching. I'm going to sleep.

jediaction
08-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Not really a big problem in my opinion, especially since I made sure pressing keys normally looks perfect, so only goofs pressing buttons goofily will cause stuff like that.

Here's one with an ammo system and a reload method (press r). Cool stuff.

No. I never not press two at the same time. If i press another one just a split second after another key. It will mess up.

x2495iiii
08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
No. I never not press two at the same time. If i press another one just a split second after another key. It will mess up.

Not anymore.

arty-fishL
08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I like the new version. The new weapon is cool, but I did find myself running (driving?) away a lot as I was reloading, also I did press space, but there is no need in that its fine as it is. It does have some acuracy errors, since I had to fire it several times to hit sometimes (and I was on target each time). It would be good if there was a way to switch between the weapons other than modifying the weapons variable. Also I dont know why you are complaining about the treds jedi, it has tracks to move, so therefore they dont have to change direction when switching up, down or left, right. Good work, plus I like all of the textures :D, except the loading screen cos it messes up my eyes.

x2495iiii
08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah I was thinking about a different loading screen, just I'm not sure what to make yet.

+Rosethorn accuracy is fixed now thanks to a cool mathy formula I thought up when I was half-asleep. Works like a charm and pierces like it should. Cool stuff.

+Auto reload installed and working. When ammo reaches zero, the current weapon will reload. My next task here is to add a clip system to limit the total amount of ammo available to the player.

+A few reload bugs fixed. Primarily had to do with auto-reload not triggering and, for some reason, preventing manual reload as well. Not sure how, but I fixed it.

+Adding a new weapon: the shardsplitter. Pretty much a shotgun, but with a cool name. Will destroy tanks in one shot at point blank range, but weakens with distance.

But the coolest part is definitely

+Found out a VERY useful tidbit about Alice: functions with parameters can be run simultaneously with different parameters for different if/else statements and return accurate results untainted by errors. This means that, instead of lots of huge if/else conditions in each bullet's method, they can each call the same function, pass different parameters, and get the desired results at the same time.

In other words, collision detection just got a whole lot easier. Already integrated it into the world for the beam and bullet collisions and works like a charm.

I'll post today's work when I'm finished with the shardsplitter and a few other things. Right now it causes tanks to die twice in a row, then respawn randomly.

Dameria
08-10-2010, 08:43 PM
But I've been using parameters for my collision detection for a while now instead of huge if/else statements. What have you just figured out that is different from what I have done?

Also, are you still working on RP4? I really want to see the finished product with all of the classes done.

debussybunny563
08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Very good game! Plays smooth, and some bugs that were in the first version were fixed (the enemy tank would sometimes resize a bit when it came towards you).

It would be good if there was a way to switch between the weapons other than modifying the weapons variable.
Is it possible to get a different weapon? I looked at the variable, and what would the other weapon's name be?

it has tracks to move, so therefore they dont have to change direction when switching up, down or left, right.
To settle this 'tread' issue, tanks can't move from side to side. To move right or left, one tread has to rotate faster than the other to make it turn, and then it goes on its new course.
So, the turret can rotate, but the body part of the tank shouldn't.
However, this makes for a really weird control scheme, and I like the way X has made it for this game.

No. I never not press two at the same time.
If I want to go diagonal, I ALWAYS press two keys at the same time. lol
If anything weird happened, it seems to be gone now.
If I press two to move diagonal, the tread goes diagonal, so... fixed!:D

Some things:
The calibration isn't perfect, but pressing 0 works that out.
However, the crosshair still isn't where my mouse is. It's lined up on the line of fire (draw a line from the sleight to the crosshair) so you can still aim accurately, but I just think it'd be nice if you could make the crosshair right on the mouse.

Pressing R to reload is kind of weird because as soon as you fire, you have to reload, and you can't fire more than one shot in a row. Maybe you could have

Oh wait. Never mind! Wow, I need to look closer. Just realized that renaming the variable SWAG will bring back the weapon found in the first version.
However, the reload feature is still kind of ludicrous for the rosethorn, as it is single shot.

Very proud of the texture. Looks great and didn't take too long.
Yeah, and I also like the crosshair. It's really nice how you have multiple textures for it when you can fire or can't (like how it blinks red when you need to reload).

As for collision detection, yes, it's a bit touchy, but it'll be fixed.
I like the explosion, plus how one tank splits in half when destroyed.

EDIT: Ahh, this post took me too long to write. It should have gone before Dameria's and X's last posts, so I didn't get to read what they said before posting. Sorry!:o

x2495iiii
08-10-2010, 08:53 PM
it's not just parameters, it's running the same calculation with different variables at the same time using only one function instead of one for each query or one at a time.

So, say you have a laserbeam and it, when fired, has to calculate whether enemies are in it's path. Now, typically I'd use two if/else statements (one for each enemy) in a do together method, with each if/else if calculating whether or not it's respective enemy is in the path of the laser. Now, instead of the if/else if making that calculation, I can call a custom function with the calculation built into it and parameters for the relevant objects (namely the enemy in question). Not only that, but I can call that same function twice (or more times) at once with different parameters in each call and get the proper results for both calls. Instead of a method that has to be run one at a time or an inflexible if/else if which must be made one by one to account for each condition and each enemy, one all-encompassing function can be used to do the same thing in a quicker and more compact way.

And if you already knew this, apologies. I assumed it wouldn't work, since most of the good stuff in Alice has bugs in it. I just figured I'd try it for the Rosethorn's collision method and it worked beautifully.

And yes, I'm still going to finish RP4. I'm just very interested in this project right now, for some reason.

Dameria
08-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Well what I have been doing this whole time is putting every object that is being calculated for collision into a single list, and I have one method with the list as the parameter, so that one method with only 1 if/else statement runs the collision for everyone in the list instead of having multiple methods and/or if/else statements.

If thats not what you mean, then I don't quite understand it still, sorry. Look at my collision method in my maze and tell me how you would implement your collision into that.

jediaction
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Not anymore.

Great. I'll try it

x2495iiii
08-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Very good game! Plays smooth, and some bugs that were in the first version were fixed (the enemy tank would sometimes resize a bit when it came towards you).
Yeah, that was a weird bug, and it seemed to happen when I told the tank to turn to face the player. Fortunately, "point at" is fine.

Is it possible to get a different weapon? I looked at the variable, and what would the other weapon's name be? Yup, SWAG and Rosethorn are the values you need.

To settle this 'tread' issue, tanks can't move from side to side. To move right or left, one tread has to rotate faster than the other to make it turn, and then it goes on its new course.
However, this makes for a really weird control scheme, and I like the way X has made it for this game. Thanks

If I want to go diagonal, I ALWAYS press two keys at the same time. lol
If anything weird happened, it seems to be gone now.
If I press two to move diagonal, the tread goes diagonal, so... fixed!:D Yay!

Some things:
The calibration isn't perfect, but pressing 0 works that out.
However, the crosshair still isn't where my mouse is. It's lined up on the line of fire (draw a line from the sleight to the crosshair) so you can still aim accurately, but I just think it'd be nice if you could make the crosshair right on the mouse. I was thinking about a way to do that, but I don't have high hopes. Apparently it can have a different starting position relative to your mouse every time you play it, as I recently had the same thing that happened to arty happen to me, where it was being weird at first, but then followed my mouse perfectly. I'll fool around with it but no promises.

Pressing R to reload is kind of weird because as soon as you fire, you have to reload, and you can't fire more than one shot in a row. Maybe you could have

Oh wait. Never mind! Wow, I need to look closer. Just realized that renaming the variable SWAG will bring back the weapon found in the first version.
However, the reload feature is still kind of ludicrous for the rosethorn, as it is single shot. There's a nearly identical weapon in Alien Swarm called the Rail Gun that shoots magnetized pieces of metal at immense speeds and pierces enemies, but the weapon can only hold one rail at a time, so you have to reload it every time you fire. You're not supposed to use it for general combat, mostly as a way to cause high piercing damage to a specific target, like a large shielded enemy (also in Alien Swarm). I plan to add a feature to let you buy/unlock/choose the ability to reload faster as well, so it's not ludicrous, it's by design.

Yeah, and I also like the crosshair. It's really nice how you have multiple textures for it when you can fire or can't (like how it blinks red when you need to reload). Thanks.

I like the explosion, plus how one tank splits in half when destroyed. Thanks again.

EDIT: Ahh, this post took me too long to write. It should have gone before Dameria's and X's last posts, so I didn't get to read what they said before posting. Sorry!:o

Responses in bold. Thanks for the feedback. And Dameria, my guess is your collision detection system would completely outdo simultaneous functions for one character colliding with walls and objects, but I was looking for a way to get a speedy and compact collision detection for a list of several objects against another list of objects, like bullets against enemies. That's what this does. If you have a way I could further improve it, let me know. Thanks.

rockstar442
08-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Like I said, weird bugs and not a full game...yet. I was going to tinker with it some more. Thanks for the positive feedback though arty.

i heard about it right now good thing i came back to this site lol

Dameria
08-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I've heard of Steam for a while now, and I have heard of Alien Swarm before. I actually downloaded Alien Swarm off of Steam a few days ago and found that it ran incredibly slow on my computer even with lowest settings. This is what has prompted me to buy a GeForce 9400 GT 1GB graphics card and 4 GB more DDR2 RAM. Once it comes in the mail, my computer should be more than ready to handle Alien Swarm.

Lol, I payed $160 so that I could play a free game... ;)

jediaction
08-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Have you been on my site? Also, glad to have you back. Make sure you play this game. Give feed back

shaydon
08-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I've heard of Steam for a while now, and I have heard of Alien Swarm before. I actually downloaded Alien Swarm off of Steam a few days ago and found that it ran incredibly slow on my computer even with lowest settings. This is what has prompted me to buy a GeForce 9400 GT 1GB graphics card and 4 GB more DDR2 RAM. Once it comes in the mail, my computer should be more than ready to handle Alien Swarm.

lol
you have 775 motherboard??? ddr2 u should uprgade to 1156
what processor do you have???

Dameria
08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I have Intel Pentium dual core 2.4 GHz. The problem is that my graphics card sucks, so I'm buying a new one. The one I have now is the one that comes integrated into the motherboard, NVidia G31/G33 chipset 250mb (almost all the new games have problems with it or don't recognize it for some reason, and it makes games lag).

The extra memory is unnecessary, but I got it anyways. I don't know what you mean with those numbers though, "775 motherboard and 1156 for the ddr2".

shaydon
08-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I have Intel Pentium dual core 2.4 GHz. The problem is that my graphics card sucks, so I'm buying a new one. The one I have now is the one that comes integrated into the motherboard, NVidia G31/G33 chipset 250mb (almost all the new games have problems with it or don't recognize it for some reason, and it makes games lag).

The extra memory is unnecessary, but I got it anyways. I don't know what you mean with those numbers though, "775 motherboard and 1156 for the ddr2".

you have a 775 socket motherboad you should upgrade to 1156 socket
(i3, i5, i7 motherboards) which are faster and better for mulitasking

x2495iiii
08-12-2010, 02:11 AM

Ha. Nice.

Ouch. Sorry about that. It runs slow on my compy too, but I figured I'd just deal with it. I'm saving my money for college, so upgrades will have to wait.

Plus, I'm not even sure if I can upgrade my PC. Here's my computer. (http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/L450/L455-S5975) Being a laptop, it doesn't have an actual graphics card, just a program that uses RAM to emulate one. I don't even know if I can install a compatible graphics card, but then again I didn't research it overmuch. I'll do that now.

And hey Dameria, when you get Alien Swarm working on your computer, let me know and we can play together. I just downloaded some of the newest maps and I've been waiting to try them with some friends.

And as for the game I'm making, I've got a problem on my hands, since I was hoping I'd left a more recent stable copy on here. Time to sift through the stinking pile of backups, all 45 of them...

jediaction
08-12-2010, 10:27 AM

Yes, i have heard of Steam. I have Steam. I have the DEmo for Alien Swarm and find it kinda cool. I use steam everyday for game demos and videos. It runs graet on my computer. Dameria...yah what everyone else said

x2495iiii
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh hey I got the backup working.

+Changed the collision system for the rosethorn beam so that grazing shots only damage the tanks, not instantly destroy them.

+Moved the camera up higher for a wider field of view. I decided that having the camera so close would make long-range encounters pretty much impossible, so moving the camera up fixes that.

+Added some cool scorch marks that appear under the exploding tanks that fade away after a few seconds. They can overlap, however, which looks weird.

+Added a laser sight that, in my opinion, looks and moves like a beam of light with air moving around it. Also inspired by Alien Swarm.

jediaction
08-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Great!

x2495iiii
08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Latest version. All features listed above, plus one more.

+ Added damage-induced slowness for enemy tanks. Pouring a clip into a charging tank is definitely going to slow it down.

x2495iiii
08-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Latest latest version. Experimenting with lighting effects. Got the world much darker, the tank moving faster, a muzzle flash, light from the guns firing, light from the tanks exploding, and a much darker world to accommodate this light. And did I mention it's very dark?

Trying to decide whether I like having a fairly responsive lightbulb inside each tank, or an overly responsive temporary change in the world's light and atmosphere.

Oh and you can switch weapons now. Press Q.

arty-fishL
08-13-2010, 07:26 AM
I like it, but what happened to the other weapons; you've removed the code so you cant change weapon.

x2495iiii
08-13-2010, 08:43 PM
?

No I haven't. At least not that I recall. It won't switch until the world is finished loading, though, so maybe that's it.

I guess I can take another look though.

Macdude17
08-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Great game! you should make it where you're able to die if the tanks get too close

x2495iiii
08-13-2010, 09:07 PM
That'll come last, as I enjoy not having to work hard to test my gameplay elements, and staying alive adds work.

jediaction
08-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Hmm, interesting. So whats next then?

x2495iiii
08-15-2010, 03:26 AM
Here's the newest.

+New loading screen. Much easier on the eyes. Made it with three iterations of a desaturated noise filter.

+Fixed the Shardsplitter...mostly. Weapon fire works, piercing bullets and point blank power work, and the firing and switching methods seem to work. However, there is a glitch that randomly pops up for me when using the SS. It has to do with an indexOutOfRange exception of some sort, so I might have to smack that method with an ugly stick to get it working again. But hey, so long as it works.

Oh and for the time being, the Shardsplitter has infinite ammo. Makes it easier to spot the glitch.

If any of you has an idea as to how to avoid such a glitch, I'm all ears. Thanks.

+tank tread animation now fully functional. Made by copying a tiled version of the treads several times, then moving each copied layer 25 pixels to the left.

I think I'll add a flamethrower next.

shaydon
08-16-2010, 04:41 PM
nice! loving your games x!

it is really cool except
i couldn't see what i was doing i was using Alice 2.0
everything was black so i had to mess around with the settings
a bit
still a great game though!

Dameria
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM
It is a great game, I love all the graphics changes you made to it. One of the only glitches I found in the short time I played it though was that when you switch weapons, sometimes the speed of the bullets change when you go back to the initial weapons. For instance it starts with the shotgun, but when I switch to chaingun and use that for a while, then switch to raygun and use that, then back to shotgun, the bullets of the shotgun now go as fast as the bullets of the chaingun went, and when I go back to chaingun the bullets of those go as slow as the shotgun went the first time.

EDIT: Also there is infinite bullets for the shotgun without need for reload and a short loading time after the reloading of the other guns is complete before you can shoot again.

x2495iiii
08-17-2010, 03:56 AM
nice! loving your games x!

it is really cool except
i couldn't see what i was doing i was using Alice 2.0
everything was black so i had to mess around with the settings
a bit
still a great game though!

Thanks. I actually made the world lighter in the next version, cause I was having the same problem. Hopefully you'll like it.

It is a great game, I love all the graphics changes you made to it. One of the only glitches I found in the short time I played it though was that when you switch weapons, sometimes the speed of the bullets change when you go back to the initial weapons. For instance it starts with the shotgun, but when I switch to chaingun and use that for a while, then switch to raygun and use that, then back to shotgun, the bullets of the shotgun now go as fast as the bullets of the chaingun went, and when I go back to chaingun the bullets of those go as slow as the shotgun went the first time.

EDIT: Also there is infinite bullets for the shotgun without need for reload and a short loading time after the reloading of the other guns is complete before you can shoot again.

Thanks Dameria. I don't recall ever getting that error, but I'll look into it. The shotgun, for the time being, is supposed to have infinite bullets to make it easier for me to debug. I already fixed the error, though, so I'll soon be removing that.

+Flamethrower's finished. I call the new weapon the Glowtorch. Shoots a nice blue jet of flame that lights up the surrounding area and makes enemies take damage for a short time.

+The world is now lighter. It was stupidly hard to see before (I was trying to get the most out of lighting effects), and now that problem's solved.

+Loading now takes a bit longer, since I added a method that fires every weapon a few times before allowing starting the game. I noticed that some weapons fire very slowly at first, then go faster when fired later, so this should make it go as fast as possible when you actually start playing.

+Shotgun ammo is now controlled. Weapon switching between them all is still kind of buggy, though, so I'm going to post it just for sake of backing it up. If you want to switch weapons, change the weapon variable manually.

+Fixed a small error that caused the SWAG to reload with 99 bullets instead of 100. Turns out I'd put in a workaround that prevented yet another random stupid error that popped up when I asked Alice to count to 100 in a loop. I now know that this error can be solved by restarting Alice. Gotta say, the error descriptions are about as helpful as a turkey sandwich is bulletproof.

Oh, it's done loading. Let me know what you think of the Glowtorch. Next is a magnetic beam. Already have the texture animation loaded for it and everything.

x2495iiii
08-18-2010, 05:35 AM
No new version today, though I did spend some time fixing the weapon switching method. Instead, I was working on adding some new content to the game. I was browsing for free models when I came across this guy.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz348/DummyX/capture02.jpg

It's a spider tank...only way cooler than the one they have in the Alice gallery.

Once I saw it, I got to work resetting its center point, cutting it into subparts, and, upon importing it into Alice, writing a walking method for it. I've got to say I'm really proud of this one.

...There's only one flaw. I missed a small section of leg when I defined the leg parts as separate meshes, so there's a static floating polygon which should be moving with the leg it corresponds to on the model. Even worse, fixing that polygon actually makes the model unusable, as it flips the model's normals inside out and gives it that weird, glitchy look.

Fortunately, it's not noticeable from the top, so I'm still going to be using it for the top down shooter.

Here's the a2w file, which demonstrates its walking ability. I based its poses on the diagram in this site (http://www.mindcreators.com/InsectLocomotion.htm).

Took quite a long time to get everything just right, and even then it wasn't quite "just right." Modeling is very, very difficult.

EDIT: One more thing. This note came with the model above.

"dystopia prop pack by soenke c. "warby" seidel

this prop pack is free for any kind of use including commercial.
i am asking for nothing but to be credited where ever these props find use.
as you can tell by the name this prop pack was made for the mod dystopia but any
sci-fi/cyberpunk themed hl2 mod/map should feel free to use em.
if you have the tools and ambition to convert the props from the
half life *.mdl and *.vtf format to the native format of another game/3d engine go for it.
don't contact me to maintain these props or textures in anyway please.
also don't contact me requesting more props or props of another theme please.
advertising this prop pack on your favorite game related board is highly encouraged :)
estimated build time 1.5 month

Or use this content under the conditions of the CreativeCommons Attribution 3.0 license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

greetings warby

visit www.warby.de"

I looked the guy up and he's got a very interesting story, plus lots of talent, and he deserves to be credited for his work. He made the model and the texture. I only cut the model into subparts and made the walk method.

arty-fishL
08-18-2010, 06:46 AM
I love the spider and the game, but I still can hardly see anything when I play the game.

x2495iiii
08-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Class in an hour, got to be quick.

+Added a spotlight over the cursor icon.

+Made the world EVEN lighter

+Added an experimental flare (F key). Flickers a bit, but definitely makes it easier to see

+Made the Glowtorch's flame much brighter, so it literally lights up the surrounding area

If that doesn't please you visibility-wise, please go board the nearest train and jump off in the middle of the first bridge it crosses.

...Okay it looks like my college's wi-fi is too crappy to upload 10 mb in an hour, so I got to wait to post. Such is life.

jediaction
08-18-2010, 11:46 AM
no new version today, though i did spend some time fixing the weapon switching method. Instead, i was working on adding some new content to the game. I was browsing for free models when i came across this guy.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz348/dummyx/capture02.jpg

it's a spider tank...only way cooler than the one they have in the alice gallery.

Once i saw it, i got to work resetting its center point, cutting it into subparts, and, upon importing it into alice, writing a walking method for it. I've got to say i'm really proud of this one.

...there's only one flaw. I missed a small section of leg when i defined the leg parts as separate meshes, so there's a static floating polygon which should be moving with the leg it corresponds to on the model. Even worse, fixing that polygon actually makes the model unusable, as it flips the model's normals inside out and gives it that weird, glitchy look.

Fortunately, it's not noticeable from the top, so i'm still going to be using it for the top down shooter.

Here's the a2w file, which demonstrates its walking ability. I based its poses on the diagram in this site (http://www.mindcreators.com/insectlocomotion.htm).

Took quite a long time to get everything just right, and even then it wasn't quite "just right." modeling is very, very difficult.

oh my gosh!. Amazing model x!

x2495iiii
08-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Developer's Notes:

+Added buzz saws to both tanks. They look more menacing now. Very pleasing.

+Added the effect of sparks flying from the buzz saws when they reach the sleight. Despite only 5 frames of animation, the look magnificent. Also very pleasing. They don't hurt the sleight yet per se, but that can now be added fairly easily.

+Added camera scrolling ability. Similar to Alien Swarm, moving your mouse to the edge of the screen shifts the camera until the sleight reaches the edge of the screen. Also increased the range of the SWAG and Rosethorn to accommodate the increased field of view (haven't increased the SS range yet, but that's coming soon). Next is to add something that makes the camera move back to the original spot slowly when the mouse is moved away from the edge of the screen.

+As previously mentioned, added several changes designed to increase visibility, including adding a spotlight and a flare (f key).

+Added something I call a spray prop. I think sprays are textured squares added to large, flat surfaces to make them seem more realistic and to differentiate environments without having to write several separate textures for each room (and if I'm wrong, it's still a good idea). This one is 1mb in size, but has 36 textures, so if you consider that each texture can be applied to a simple square (around 2-3 kb each) to make the bland ground objects in Alice much more realistic and visually appealing with no texture creating/editing knowledge whatsoever, it's not bad at all. I'll be using mine with dark colors to make the ground look damaged and dirty.

+Added the spider tank. It's just a wallflower for the moment, but soon it will have functionality. I wanted to make sure the world would run smoothly with all three tanks plus the sleight animating at once (it doesn't, but that could just be my computer being flaky).

jediaction
08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Very good, but add sparks when you hit the tank so you know if you hit it

x2495iiii
08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
You mean for bullets? Sparks wouldn't do. Plus, I don't know about the other people (person?) playing this, but I don't have any problems knowing when the bullets hit the tank.

jediaction
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Well theres not, But its good for realism X. Its just my opinion.

x2495iiii
08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Hmm. From what I can see, armor piercing bullets do indeed spark very nicely when they go through metal. However, that spark travels on nearly the same plane as the metal, so it wouldn't be pleasingly visible from a bird's eye view. I do like animating stuff, though, so maybe...

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
...for future reference, which weapon is which?

x2495iiii
08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
First one's the SWAG (Machine Gun)

Second one's the Rosethorn (Sniper Rifle)

Third one's the Shardsplitter (Shotgun)

Fourth one's the Glowtorch (Flame Thrower)

Also, spider tank's too polygon heavy to be in the game as is. I'm going to work at it and see if I can't simplify it without taking all of its visual appeal away, though.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
So the one with 1 ammo that brings death to everything is the Rosethorn?

That one is mah favorite.

x2495iiii
08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Yup, that's the one. At some point I'm adding enemies that'll be tougher and faster so the Rosethorn won't be as helpful, though. Against drones, however, it's a killer.

jediaction
08-19-2010, 03:47 PM
good.

arty-fishL
08-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Rosethorn, sniper rifle? I would class it more as a big laser gun (a plasma rifle maybe). Dont sniper rifles have scopes to look through?
Anyway, this is top class work, love all of the graphics. Keep up the good work.

x2495iiii
08-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Robots don't need scopes. They have robot vision. And I classified it as the sniper cause the sniper's generally the precision-oriented one-hit kill from any distance, but at the cost of speed, ammo, and flexibility.

noahx23
08-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Wow great game, even though it's glitchy on my computer. also it would be nice if the camera moved back more quickly to center on the tank.

x2495iiii
08-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Notes:

+Working on game map. I've been working with an emphasis on visual quality, so I'm trying to make the map look much better than the blocky textures for the ground that come with Alice. It's actually pretty fun. I might make a few different maps, just for the heck of it.

Update: Finished the map. No way the full, 2560x2560 pic's fitting on here, so I scaled it down a smidge.

+Made a new weapon, but not quite sure how to implement it yet. It's an electricity weapon that has a series of electrical frames of animation that look excellent when strung randomly, like the Glowtorch. It'll either zap and stun enemies like the Tesla Cannon in Alien Swarm (except the Tesla Cannon sucks and I hate it), or it'll siphon energy from enemies and heal you. I'll pick one eventually.

+Improved the flare. Looks and works better now.

+Improved calibration. For me at least. The different size and positions of each person's window makes it pretty much impossible to get it right for everyone without scripts. And I can't do scripts. So there.

+Removed the spider tank for polygon reduction. Turns out blender has two different scripts for doing just that. Score!

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Robots don't need scopes. They have robot vision. And I classified it as the sniper cause the sniper's generally the precision-oriented one-hit kill from any distance, but at the cost of speed, ammo, and flexibility.

Then again, the Rosethorn isn't exactly precision-oriented, is it?

x2495iiii
08-21-2010, 01:51 PM
It isn't? How so?

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Sniper rifles are very exact. With the Rosethorn, you basically have to hit in the general area.

That, and also the Rosethorn goes through things...

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 12:08 PM
That, and also the Rosethorn goes through things...

Ever hear of collateral damage?

Sniper rifles are generally very high caliber, and it is not unknown for them to get kills shooting through barriers.

Sniper rifles are very exact. With the Rosethorn, you basically have to hit in the general area.

Well...
It's a robot, so... where is the most disabling place to hit it?

Robots don't need scopes. They have robot vision.

I love the specificity of that statement.

Anyway, very nice work. It does feel kind of laggy-ish when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen and your view moves. The motion is kind of... jerky, I guess.

I haven't played the latest update yet, but I'll try it sometime soon.

:cool:

x2495iiii
08-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Ever hear of collateral damage?

Sniper rifles are generally very high caliber, and it is not unknown for them to get kills shooting through barriers. Bravo!

Well...
It's a robot, so... where is the most disabling place to hit it? Bravo again!

I love the specificity of that statement. Thank you.

Anyway, very nice work. It does feel kind of laggy-ish when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen and your view moves. The motion is kind of... jerky, I guess. Yeah, I tried using smooth animation and it's much too slow. The camera is too far away from the action on the ground.

I haven't played the latest update yet, but I'll try it sometime soon.

:cool:

Responses in bold.

I'd also like to add that it is a common tactic in video games to make the sniper rifle a weapon with a long, thin range but high damage (many times an instant kill) upon impact, if said impact is in the vital area of the enemy (chest or head for humans). Examples: Uncharted 1 and 2, All the Ratchet and Clanks, Call of Duty.

debussybunny563
08-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Responses underlined:
However, this makes for a really weird control scheme, and I like the way X has made it for this game. Thanks You're welcome.

Yeah, and I also like the crosshair. It's really nice how you have multiple textures for it when you can fire or can't (like how it blinks red when you need to reload). Thanks. You're welcome.

I like the explosion, plus how one tank splits in half when destroyed. Thanks again. You're welcome again.

I love the specificity of that statement. Thank you. You're welcome.

I'd also like to add that it is a common tactic in video games to make the sniper rifle a weapon with a long, thin range but high damage (many times an instant kill) upon impact, if said impact is in the vital area of the enemy (chest or head for humans). Examples: Uncharted 1 and 2, All the Ratchet and Clanks, Call of Duty.

Yeah, you normally try to get headshots. However, I do find that in Modern Warfare 2, you can get a one-hit kill in the arms or legs with the Barrett (well, it is a 50-caliber...).

noahx23
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
On a similar note to camera movement the camera never moves to center the robot in the middle of the screen, even when i move the mouse to the far right hand side.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-22-2010, 07:29 PM
...could you be a bit clearer on that?

noahx23
08-24-2010, 12:07 PM
when i start the game the camera is centered on tank but if i move the camera left on the screen then i can't go back right it doesn't moveback to center on the tank

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Hmm, true.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
That's good.

jediaction
08-25-2010, 08:38 AM
GOOOOOOOO0000000oooood! You should make texts and a picture of a commander of something telling you where to go and like assist a shot down squad or something:)

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Eventually this should have some semblance of a plot.

Also, there should be turrets in some places that create little suicidal jeeps to ram you and you have to shoot the turrets and destroy them.

Or something like that.

By the way, does the map have an edge?

x2495iiii
08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah, the edge will be the boundary.

x2495iiii
08-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Alright, here's the latest build. This one contains an experimental sprite that holds 20-something frames of animation of the spidertank walking forward. This allows me to place several moving spidertanks at once while having a fraction of the polygon count slowing down my world. Seems like a good fix to me. If things run slow again, I'll just replace some more stuff with animated billboards.

...or not. Just got the red screen of death...

*SIGH*

Here we go again...

Well, at least I can post the sprite.

EDIT: Got it!

jediaction
08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Cool!

noahx23
01-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Anything new with the game?

LiamFarley1998
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM

no and yes. I love steam it owns xbox live

justinepeter754
01-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Hey here i got many bubbling shootings :))