PDA

View Full Version : iPad version of Alice?

jrlepage
08-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm a postbac. teacher education intern working on my masters, and I've been using Alice while teaching a Math Computer Applications class (basically pre-AP Comp. Sci.).

This may be a stretch, but I was thinking today how the majority of the user interaction in Alice could easily be accomplished with a touchscreen. Is it at all feasible to port Alice to the iPad?

I think it would be amazing to sit in a classroom full of iPads, where kids are dragging and dropping objects, choosing the parameters from dropdowns, etc., all on the touchscreen of an iPad. Would really give the experience a "hands-on" feel.

Just a thought...

zonedabone
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Try a tablet PC. If you're wanting to try porting it, it's written in java. I would hope there's java on the iPad.

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-02-2010, 07:37 PM
It would be neat to have an iPad Alice...think of the possibilities with a touchscreen!

Of course, mouse clicks and keypresses might be messed up...

gabe
09-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Alice is great on a tablet pc, but there are no immediate plans to port to iPad. I agree, it would be pretty awesome, but just not feasible at this time.

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Hmm...I'll have to try the Tablet PC Alice...

So no go on the iPad port? Aw.

CoherentCharlie
01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't have an iPad. D:

zonedabone
01-14-2011, 06:33 AM
The reason why tablet pcs work is because they emulate mouse behavor with a stylus. The iPad would need to do the same, or Alice would need to be majorly modified to make it work.