PDA

View Full Version : My FPS

Fritz
09-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Well in my school, we have a big end of the year project in which we have to make a functional game and be able to have the class play it. This is my first week using the program and I think I have it pretty much down to science as I actually code java, not this graphical stuff lol but actual java. In my opinion, alice is kind of a joke because it's so strict and uncustomizable. Anyways, here is what I have so far.

You can download current release here: V1 (http://www.alice.org/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=3653&d=1286511045)

Controls
A: Run
Z: Crouch
E: Forward
S: Left
D: Backward
F: Right
Enter/Click: Shoot
Arrow Keys: Aim
Space: Jump

My log:
09/20/10: Basic crosshairs and shotgun with shooting (no projectiles)
[B]09/21/10: Reloading, jumping, and crouching added
09/22/10: Ammo support with count with text and shotgun shells discharged from gun
09/27/10: Running and camera moving added
10/7/10: Zombie following, attacking, and running energy added

Media:

Zombie attacking, following, running energy, and shooting zombie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM7vy_-Lvys
Running and aiming added: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEOMCPMBXF8
Ammo support and shell discharge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_N-Ad809vE
Crosshairs and Shooting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpmY87lxW5o
Reloading, jumping, and crouching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3kgT1XUxI

http://www.picdrop.net/uploads/capture02.jpeg

http://ploader.net/files/9a17f4ff989102cc4118cc9d8c3d91ba.jpeg

http://ploader.net/files/604d273f447d3b2ace3605d1a590d0da.jpeg

http://i52.tinypic.com/x2q91h.jpg

x2495iiii
09-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Well in my school, we have a big end of the year project in which we have to make a functional game and be able to have the class play it. This is my first week using the program and I think I have it pretty much down to science as I actually code java, not this graphical stuff lol but actual java. In my opinion, alice is kind of a joke because it's so strict and uncustomizable. Anyways, here is what I have so far.

Java's kinda of a joke as well, as the most graphical things you can do with it looks like the crap 3 years olds make with MS Paint. It is more functional, stable and customizable than Alice, though, that's the truth.

Also, why'd you use one of the badly textured guns? Plenty of better ones out there.

jediaction
09-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Yah. The guns on the wrong side to. Look at my AA-12 simulator

Fritz
09-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Java's kinda of a joke as well, as the most graphical things you can do with it looks like the crap 3 years olds make with MS Paint. It is more functional, stable and customizable than Alice, though, that's the truth.

Also, why'd you use one of the badly textured guns? Plenty of better ones out there.

This is from the pack of guns that you linked me to in my thread asking for fps arms. That's not really true about java, as it all comes down to the quality of the models that you are using. Not as much the language.

Yah. The guns on the wrong side to. Look at my AA-12 simulator

I realize that, but that's how the gun with the arms came and I don't wish to change it. Anyways, your AA12 doesn't even work like a gun should. Read the comments on it.

x2495iiii
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, but the gun you chose from that pack, I was wondering why it was that one.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah, but the gun you chose from that pack, I was wondering why it was that one.

Cause it's a shotgun.

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Anyways, your AA12 doesn't even work like a gun should.

How so? And, by the way, the M1014 is semi-automatic, not pump action. :p

Nonetheless, very good start.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
How so? And, by the way, the M1014 is semi-automatic, not pump action. :p

Nonetheless, very good start.

It looks better with pump action :P

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
It looks better with pump action :P

To that I agree. :)

Anyways, your AA12 doesn't even work like a gun should.

How so?

Fritz
09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
To that I agree. :)

How so?

I downloaded it again and watched, your left arm (I think) is messed as it goes way up after a while. Also, a box clip holds 8 shots on a AA-12

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I downloaded it again and watched, your left arm (I think) is messed as it goes way up after a while.

Haha, you mean jediaction's left arm.

Also, a box clip holds 8 shots on a AA-12

Practically quoting me there. ;)

There are a few things that need be fixed.

1. After reloading repeatedly, the left hand gradually moves higher and higher.

2. If you press "Q" and move at the same time, the person moves off to one side quickly before settling back into position.

3. Being picky: AA-12 holds only 8 rounds in a box magazine! :mad:

Other than that, great job!

Okay, then. Time for more pickiness! :D

Pull the bolt back for an empty reload.
After inserting the clip, pull back on the charging handle a little bit and let it (or force it) to slide back to its original position.

Other than that, I think you're good.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Haha, you mean jediaction's left arm.

Practically quoting me there. ;)

Okay, then. Time for more pickiness! :D

Pull the bolt back for an empty reload.
After inserting the clip, pull back on the charging handle a little bit and let it (or force it) to slide back to its original position.

Other than that, I think you're good.

Future weapons has given me the answers to life.

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Future weapons has given me the answers to life.

You've seen that too?!

High five! :D

The show does tend to exaggerate, though. :(

I'll give examples in an edit (unless you don't want this slightly off-topic post in your thread).

EDIT: For example, when they were talking about the IAR by LWRC, they advertised its ability to use standard STANAG magazines, the same that other members in the squad would use. First of all, the M249 (which they were using to compare as the "old" version of the squad automatic weapon) can also accept standard magazines in a side port. Second, why would using 30 round box magazines be useful and desirable, especially for the purpose of a squad automatic weapon? Sure, portability would be high, but the whole point is to provide suppressive fire, which is difficult if you have to reload every three seconds. Also, saying how the M249's belt-fed ammunition gets snagged up too easily is pointless considering it's supposed to be contained in a box at the bottom of the weapon.
Ugh. Propaganda and false ideas.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
You've seen that too?!

High five! :D

The show does tend to exaggerate, though. :(

I'll give examples in an edit (unless you don't want this slightly off-topic post in your thread).

I love the 20 round drum lol and it's ok

Fritz
09-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Reloading, jumping, and crouching added!

http://ploader.net/files/604d273f447d3b2ace3605d1a590d0da.jpeg

Sorry for DP

x2495iiii
09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Waitaminnit...

THAT'S a shotgun?

Looks like a weird rifle to me.

Oh yeah, and cool additions, good job.

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Looks good so far.

Waitaminnit...

THAT'S a shotgun?

Looks like a weird rifle to me.

It's the M1014 semi-automatic shotgun made by Benelli (the gun is also called the Benelli M4).
Leave it to the Italians to make a pwning shotgun.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Looks good so far.

It's the M1014 semi-automatic shotgun made by Benelli (the gun is also called the Benelli M4).
Leave it to the Italians.

Gimme min, video is uploading.

And also, gimme some leniency as these hands have no freaking objects you can use, their center point is also messed and you can't turn.

x2495iiii
09-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Looks super wimpy and rifle-like.

At least the AA-12 had style.

And I'm not judging, I think you're doing very well with the resources you've been given.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Looks super wimpy and rifle-like.

At least the AA-12 had style.

And I'm not judging, I think you're doing very well with the resources you've been given.
I was talking about when you saw the video but ok :p

EDIT: Finished uploading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3kgT1XUxI

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 10:02 PM
You play Combat Arms? Nice.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
You play Combat Arms? Nice.

Lolololol, I'm a pro at that :p

WATCH THE VIDEO, IT'S IN MAIN POST

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Saw it.

I hope you go forward with it, even if you don't finish it for school. Looks like a great game.
BTW, where did you get the crosshair? I've searched everywhere for a basic fps reticle, but can't seem to find one.

Fritz
09-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Saw it.

I hope you go forward with it, even if you don't finish it for school. Looks like a great game.
BTW, where did you get the crosshair? I've searched everywhere for a basic fps reticle, but can't seem to find one.

I made the crosshair :D

x2495iiii
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Four green cylinders/boxes, right?

Reminds me of COD, personally. The first one, at least.

debussybunny563
09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Made my own as well. Not very well textured though...

Fritz
09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Four green cylinders/boxes, right?

Reminds me of COD, personally. The first one, at least.

This

I used boxes, should've used cylinders but eh.

jediaction
09-22-2010, 07:17 AM
I like boxes

Fritz
09-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Added ammo support and shell discharges!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_N-Ad809vE

debussybunny563
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Cool. Can you reload midway (have over 0 ammo but still reload)?

Fritz
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Cool. Can you reload midway (have over 0 ammo but still reload)?

Yes, I show it in the video, I shoot to 6 and reload to 8

debussybunny563
09-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Ah, yes. Must have not been attentive... :(

Good work! :)

Fritz
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I still have NO way of hitting a target or any idea of how lol

And I can't use a base from the shared section because as it is a school project, I can't leech work and call it my own.

Also having problems figuring out how to make mouse moving move the PoV

debussybunny563
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I still have NO way of hitting a target or any idea of how lol

And I can't use a base from the shared section because as it is a school project, I can't leech work and call it my own.

Also having problems figuring out how to make mouse moving move the PoV

I would direct you to some threads on doing both effectively (the target system I designed myself- :) ), but if you can't look at other worlds and use some of their coding, even your own extreme modification of their coding, in your work, don't know how we can help you there besides give you vague pointers on what to do.

Perhaps discuss the extent of "using" other people's work with your teacher? Blatant copying is probably a no-no, but I would think that looking at code and getting inspiration might be allowed.

Fritz
09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Ooh. That's harsh. I would direct you to some threads on doing both effectively (the target system I designed myself- :) ), but if you can't look at other worlds and use some of their coding, even your own extreme modification of their coding, in your work, don't know how we can help you there besides give you vague pointers on what to do.

Perhaps discuss the extent of "using" other people's work with your teacher?Blatant copying is probably a no-no, but I would think that looking at code and getting inspiration might be allowed.

I don't want to look at the work, what you CAN do though is give me an idea on how to do it, I just need to code it on my own.

debussybunny563
09-22-2010, 09:51 PM
OK then.

For mouse-moving, look under world functions, and you'll find "mouse distance from left edge" and "mouse distance from top edge."
Make good use of those.

For bullet collision, make a boolean function, which will return true if it hits, false if it doesn't. Make good use of the both function under the world functions. There are different methods of doing the actual collision, some more effective than others, but I have to be vague, so I'm just going to say use spatial relation/distances, place them in the "both" part(s) and leave it at that.

Fritz
09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
OK then.

For mouse-moving, look under world functions, and you'll find "mouse distance from left edge" and "mouse distance from top edge."
Make good use of those.

For bullet collision, make a boolean function, which will return true if it hits, false if it doesn't. Make good use of the both function under the world functions. There are different methods of doing the actual collision, some more effective than others, but I have to be vague, so I'm just going to say use spatial relation/distances, place them in the "both" part(s) and leave it at that.

Thats a cheap way around collisions, mapping the x and y allowed for each object and setting a distance :P

EDIT: And I'm setting these standards for MYSELF, not my teacher's rules. I want to make it myself 100% on my own.

x2495iiii
09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
You just gave me an idea for a potentially very accurate bullet collision system for a typical FPS control scheme.

I need to talk to one of the scripters...

Fritz
09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
You just gave me an idea for a potentially very accurate bullet collision system for a typical FPS control scheme.

I need to talk to one of the scripters...

Care to share?

x2495iiii
09-22-2010, 11:33 PM
I was thinking most FPS systems have the camera follow the cursor's movements. I was also thinking that the most accurate bullet-like function that actually works in Alice is the "object clicked on" event function.

If there was a script that hid the mouse cursor and then let the mouse point the camera with its movements, it could be coupled with a robot-type script that temporarily let the camera be stationary, let the cursor move to the crosshair, click, then reset its position and make the camera movable again. This would allow the typical FPS control scheme with a completely accurate bullet collision system. Ideally, this would happen in a split second, about the time it would take to, say, fire a gun.

jediaction
09-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Added ammo support and shell discharges!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_N-Ad809vE

Hm, nice but work on the animations

x2495iiii
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Uh huh.

Define "work on."

You didn't name any specific errors you saw in the animations.

jediaction
09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Make the animations more realistic

x2495iiii
09-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Which would entail doing......

debussybunny563
09-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I was thinking most FPS systems have the camera follow the cursor's movements. I was also thinking that the most accurate bullet-like function that actually works in Alice is the "object clicked on" event function.

If there was a script that hid the mouse cursor and then let the mouse point the camera with its movements, it could be coupled with a robot-type script that temporarily let the camera be stationary, let the cursor move to the crosshair, click, then reset its position and make the camera movable again. This would allow the typical FPS control scheme with a completely accurate bullet collision system. Ideally, this would happen in a split second, about the time it would take to, say, fire a gun.

Ah, Zenteo already made something like that. In his world, the mouse stayed in the center of the screen, and you could go up to objects and "aim" at them to color them red. Only thing was that the mouse was still visible.

debussybunny563
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Thats a cheap way around collisions, mapping the x and y allowed for each object and setting a distance :P

Oh yeah? Got a better way? :p
And it's not a way around collisions, it is the collision. :p :p

Fritz
09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Make the animations more realistic

I can't, if you read my post, you'd see that I said the hands don't have correct center points and I can't turn or roll them. This is about as realistic as you can get without turns or rolls...

Fritz
09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Oh yeah? Got a better way? :p
And it's not a way around collisions, it is the collision. :p :p

Naw collisions are detecting if you are hitting the model, not if you are in the x or y coords of it :P

debussybunny563
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
I can't, if you read my post, you'd see that I said the hands don't have correct center points and I can't turn or roll them. This is about as realistic as you can get without turns or rolls...

Actually, you can make the arms separate models with pivot points wherever you want to put them.

Naw collisions are detecting if you are hitting the model, not if you are in the x or y coords of it :P

X Y coordinates? What about Z? And, you can't do it that way in 3-D space, since those coordinates are universal, and it'd take a lot more math to do it that way, and even then, Alice doesn't support that kind of stuff very well either (orientations, x y z coordinates and whatnot, you can do practically nothing with them in Alice).

Instead, it's referencing the objects by their position relative to the orientation of the player, and determining whether they are "in range."

Besides, it's also a lot more efficient than using actual bullets that move, which can cause unbearable lag if you're planning on making a good game.

"Actual collision," in fact, is not be the best solution.

jediaction
09-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Actually, you can make the arms separate models with pivot points wherever you want to put them.

X Y coordinates? What about Z? And, you can't do it that way in 3-D space, since those coordinates are universal, and it'd take a lot more math to do it that way, and even then, Alice doesn't support that kind of stuff very well either (orientations, x y z coordinates and whatnot, you can do practically nothing with them in Alice).

Instead, it's referencing the objects by their position relative to the orientation of the player, and determining whether they are "in range."

Besides, it's also a lot more efficient than using actual bullets that move, which can cause unbearable lag if you're planning on making a good game.

Thats what I was going to say and thats what i do. If the center axis is off. Make a dummy, set it in the middle of the shotgun, then make the shotgun set vehicle to the dummy and make the dummy do the animations instead of the Shotgun. Make sense?

debussybunny563
09-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Thats what I was going to say and thats what i do. If the center axis is off. Make a dummy, set it in the middle of the shotgun, then make the shotgun set vehicle to the dummy and make the dummy do the animations instead of the Shotgun. Make sense?

Oh no, that's not what I mean. You can change the orientation of an object (as long as it's made up of subparts) within Alice to suit your needs; no dummies are needed.

Fritz
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM

It would make a crapload more code to make the hands seperate models. Nty

And you can do actual collisions in java, idc why alice doesn't support.

debussybunny563
09-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Oh no it doesn't. What do you mean by code, though? I just edit them in the object editor, unless by code you also mean moving objects in the object editor as well. I've gotten the AUG, the P228, the UMP, and the TMP's pivots all re-centered in the right place in a couple of minutes. They're from that FPS Arms thread, so you know how messed up the pivots are. Pic included.
Doing the same thing for the arms would be just as easy.

If you want, I could re-orient them and post them in your FPS Arms thread.

I don't know java, so meh. You might be able to do that with scripting and whatnot, but I don't really know that either. Meh.

jediaction
09-24-2010, 08:47 AM

It is Java Script, and Alice has a little confusing way on how to "drag" and "drop" stuff into place. It isnt visible to the eye at first. Thats why collisions would be hard in alice even though you know java script

seanc
09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Well alice is open source :S I only see the 2.0 source though but yea.. I guess you can do anything in alice that you can do in java if you use the source code >> Not sure if that would be allowed in the school project though :/

Fritz
09-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Well alice is open source :S I only see the 2.0 source though but yea.. I guess you can do anything in alice that you can do in java if you use the source code >> Not sure if that would be allowed in the school project though :/

Why wouldn't you going above and beyond be not allowed?...

seanc
09-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Some teachers might not like using java for your alice project. I think its dumb but I know my grade 10 highschool teacher would of gotten me in trouble for doing it...

Fritz
09-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Some teachers might not like using java for your alice project. I think its dumb but I know my grade 10 highschool teacher would of gotten me in trouble for doing it...

Alice IS java...

jediaction
09-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes. unless if you have extended mags. lol

Fritz
09-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Yes. unless if you have extended mags. lol

What is this supposed to mean...

jediaction
09-25-2010, 06:00 PM
12 Shots. Its doubled. Extended magazines? Get it. More Shells?

debussybunny563
09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah, but how does that relate to the topic?

jediaction
09-25-2010, 07:53 PM
On another thread, some one said the same thing. its 8 shots not 12. Something like that. I was just re inforcing it

Fritz
09-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I'll add that later, its easy, just adding a variable for duration and maxammo count

debussybunny563
09-26-2010, 07:40 AM
On another thread, some one said the same thing. its 8 shots not 12. Something like that. I was just re inforcing it

Actually, if you put it that way, it's 4 shots normal, and 8 shots extended mags.
There's no way to fit 12 shells in the M1014 to be fired.

The sense of this is that the civilian version is allowed 4 shells, while the military can fit 8 shells.

Fritz
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Added running and aiming/camera movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEOMCPMBXF8

jediaction
09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Very glitchy

The running first of all. I think thats it for now. I thought i saw something else. The animations need to be upgraded too. Hey, check out my website. My game comes out soon

Fritz
09-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Very glitchy

Either make productive comments or leave my thread. It's ok if you say 'Very glitchy, you need to fix this...etc' as compared to spamming to raise post count with no contribution.

x2495iiii
09-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Either make productive comments or leave my thread. It's ok if you say 'Very glitchy, you need to fix this...etc' as compared to spamming to raise post count with no contribution.

Exactly. Bravo, good sir.

And it doesn't look glitchy to me. At first I didn't understand why the gun turned to the side, but then I realized you were getting a running animation going, and when someone's flat out running, they pull their arms in.

jediaction
09-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Jeesh. Ok, i'll fix the other post

Fritz
09-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Very glitchy

The running first of all. I think thats it for now. I thought i saw something else. The animations need to be upgraded too. Hey, check out my website. My game comes out soon

These are pretty good animations considering the quality of the models I'm using.

And also, this is a thread about MY game. It's all very nice that your game is almost done but please make a separate thread to direct people to your site as opposed to posting it in my thread.

Dameria
09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey, congrats Fritz you made the 25,000th post made on the Alice Forums!

Lol I know this has nothing to do with your game, but I just noticed it now so I wanted to tell you :)

This is what it says for me:

Welcome, Dameria.
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 42.
You last visited: Today at 09:34 PM
Currently Active Users: 40 (3 members and 37 guests)
Threads: 4,903, Posts: 25,000, Members: 14,361
Welcome to our newest member, israt111

It probably says 25,001 now though :(

x2495iiii
09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Hooray for even numbers!

Way to mess it up, D. :P

And seriously, I don't see a problem with the running.

jediaction
09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
He runs on an angle

Fritz
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
He runs on an angle

Nope, sorry.

x2495iiii
09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I think he means the arms look a bit odd thrown completely across his chest to the left while running.

I understand the models' quality isn't the best and it makes it hard to animate, but this could actually be fixed by position the arms a bit closer to the camera so that more of them is obscured (in my opinion), since that would look more like he's holding the gun flat against his chest and less like he's sticking his arms out and to the left.

It does work the way it is now, though, so if you feel it looks alright or if you're already tried what I suggested, leave it be. It's your world.

jediaction
09-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Yah. Your right. Never mind

Fritz
09-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Added basic collision detection for bullets and the zombie now follows you with walking animation and has hit and death animations.

Not worth a vid though

jediaction
09-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Not really. You missed the biggest part Fritz. The collision detection. Alice detection is not very good. Just "add a collision" wont do it. Look at other peoples collisions and this will show how to do it. But if you really want to do Alices way.....then make 2 detections. One for the lower part of the body, then one for the upper part. Like I did here. Its not the best....but eh...i didnt spend that much time on it

Fritz
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Not really. You missed the biggest part Fritz. The collision detection. Alice detection is not very good. Just "add a collision" wont do it. Look at other peoples collisions and this will show how to do it. But if you really want to do Alices way.....then make 2 detections. One for the lower part of the body, then one for the upper part. Like I did here. Its not the best....but eh...i didnt spend that much time on it

How in the world would you know how I did it. You seriously need to think before you post. I haven't descriped how I did it, you just assume I did it the wrong way. You need to realize you AREN'T the only one who can code well. SERIOUSLY, STOP ASSUMING YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES STUFF RIGHT!

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW HOW I DID IT IF I NEVER POSTED ANYTHING BESIDES THAT I ADDED IT!

You are so arrogant it is unbelievable...

jediaction
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
How in the world would you know how I did it. You seriously need to think before you post. I haven't descriped how I did it, you just assume I did it the wrong way. You need to realize you AREN'T the only one who can code well. SERIOUSLY, STOP ASSUMING YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES STUFF RIGHT!

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW HOW I DID IT IF I NEVER POSTED ANYTHING BESIDES THAT I ADDED IT!

You are so arrogant it is unbelievable...

Ahh, another Lance A. I never said im the only one who could Code good. There is a lot. You just said, "basic Collisions Detection" that means Alices way....jeeesh, calm down

Doctor Who
09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Ahh, another Lance A. I never said im the only one who could Code good. There is a lot. You just said, "basic Collisions Detection" that means Alices way....jeeesh, calm down Lol. Dude, if I had a dollar for every time you've said, "Look at MY game for help." or "No, no, no. This is all wrong look at this game I made," I'd literally own Valve by now, so stop being so arrogant. And he hasn't even released anything yet. How can you say that his coding is wrong if you haven't seen it yet?

Anyway, when are you gonna release an .a2w of your work so far, Fritz?

Fritz
09-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Lol. Dude, if I had a dollar for every time you've said, "Look at MY game for help." or "No, no, no. This is all wrong look at this game I made," I'd literally own Valve by now, so stop being so arrogant. And he hasn't even released anything yet. How can you say that his coding is wrong if you haven't seen it yet?

I will when I get a better collision detection system and better AI.

Anyways, 'basic collision detection' means your way is basic. It doesn't mean anything but that it needs work. It doesn't say how it was made or what code was used to make it.

x2495iiii
10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Ahh, another Lance A. I never said im the only one who could Code good. There is a lot. You just said, "basic Collisions Detection" that means Alices way....jeeesh, calm down

No. Not at all. Not even sort of.

Fritz is a person trying to teach himself how to make games mainly by doing, not by seeing.

LanceA was a person who claimed to be a teacher and used that claim to effectively boss around other board members.

I think you've lost your way, Jediaction. You refer new people to your past work and hype your future work, but don't seem to be doing much at the present.

My advice: take a break from answering questions and do something constructive. You don't know how to convert models? Experiment until you've got it down. You pushed Alice to it's limit with your game? Get creative and make a way to include more.

It's good that you want to help other members, but sometimes telling them to do it your way isn't the best way to help.

jediaction
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Lol. Dude, if I had a dollar for every time you've said, "Look at MY game for help." or "No, no, no. This is all wrong look at this game I made," I'd literally own Valve by now, so stop being so arrogant. And he hasn't even released anything yet. How can you say that his coding is wrong if you haven't seen it yet?

I know I have said that. I know that my way is helpful too and I know it works to. Thats why i suggest it, not to throw people off, just to show them my way. I try to help as much as I can and it looks like you guys are not appreciating it

It's good that you want to help other members, but sometimes telling them to do it your way isn't the best way to help.

I know, but i want to show what my idea is. Everyone is just annoyed that I am everywhere. Jeesh, and yes I have been told many times that I pushed alice to the limit with my games.

Fritz
10-01-2010, 09:06 AM
I know I have said that. I know that my way is helpful too and I know it works to. Thats why i suggest it, not to throw people off, just to show them my way. I try to help as much as I can and it looks like you guys are not appreciating it

I know, but i want to show what my idea is. Everyone is just annoyed that I am everywhere. Jeesh, and yes I have been told many times that I pushed alice to the limit with my games.

I have no problem with you helping but telling people that your way is the correct way to do something isn't right.

Just make it less of 'my way is right, yours is wrong.'

x2495iiii
10-01-2010, 10:52 AM

That's not the point. The point is when people post something showing their work, your first reaction shouldn't be "Your way works but my way works too."

Also, yes, people often don't appreciate it when you insinuate that the work they're proud of is wrong.

If you want to show your idea and no one has specifically asked for it, post it in a separate thread. It has nothing to do with you "being everywhere."

Also, you missed the point of my comment. I was saying that you yourself have said you've pushed Alice to the limit. The next constructive step is to find a way to get around those limits.

jediaction
10-02-2010, 11:25 AM
If you want to show your idea and no one has specifically asked for it, post it in a separate thread. It has nothing to do with you "being everywhere."

Also, you missed the point of my comment. I was saying that you yourself have said you've pushed Alice to the limit. The next constructive step is to find a way to get around those limits.

Jeesh, so many people go out of control on this Community. not you X. I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP...PERIOD!

Fritz
10-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Jeesh, so many people go out of control on this Community. not you X. I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP...PERIOD!

You don't help when you tell someone they are doing it wrong and that your way is right...

jediaction
10-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Ok, im sorry, just quit yelling at me

Fritz
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Just added zombie attacking and following with animations.

I'll post a video and my file when I get home.

jediaction
10-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Awesome. Can't wait!

Fritz
10-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Added zombie movement, zombie attacking, running energy, and shooting zombie (try for headshot :p)

Youtube: Uploading

http://www.picdrop.net/uploads/capture02.jpeg

Also uploading my project so far.

I don't use comments until I'm finished coding so please ignore all the mess.

Controls

x2495iiii
10-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Mess shmess so long as the program works.

Looking very good, dude.

Fritz
10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Won't say that once you see my code lol

x2495iiii
10-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I don't know if you've looked at the code for RP before, but if you have, you know that I believe messy code is sometimes unavoidable.

Fritz
10-07-2010, 11:22 PM
RP? Care to explain?

debussybunny563
10-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Nice. Like the zombie's chop, and also the headshot.
:D:):D

The only thing I can complain about right now is the weird control, with the mouse being separate of the keyboard and having to reach over. Then again, I AM using a laptop, and so the mouse buttons are right near the keyboard...

RP? Care to explain?

Resident Penguin, by x2495iiii. Search it on the forums, and you'll definitely find it.

Fritz
10-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Controls are rather strange.

They are:

Youtube vid is now online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM7vy_-Lvys

debussybunny563
10-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Ah, so you can press "Enter" too. I see. Let's have another try at it!

EDIT: 100th reply. Yay. This is overrated (the 100th reply thing, DEFINITELY not referring to your FPS).

jediaction
10-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I looked at the youtube video. Nice game. needs a little bit of scenery work and this good get pretty popular. Make more Zombies!

SirThorfinn
10-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I think it works well for the current status but arrow keys for moving the camera is a little clunky. I like the blood effect when a player gets hit, Really cool.:cool:

Question: Do you mind if i use the blood effect in my games i really like it???:D

Dameria
10-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Question: Do you mind if i use the blood effect in my games i really like it???:D

I personally don't mind, as it does make a game more realistic, however I do know that many people in the community would have a problem with it.

If it blatantly in the forums rules that you cannot portray blood in the games, then you can't post it on the forums but you can most definitely post it wherever you are allowed to. If it does not say that on the rules, you can post it on the forums but put a ratings warning on the post. You can put in the title, or somewhere else that someone is definitely going to look at and read before downloading, something like "Rated M for violence, gore, (etc...)". That way at least people will be able to take their own moral stand as to whether or not to download it. Just don't use one of those ESRB rating pictures that are on real video games, because your game is most likely not rated by the ESRB, so that would be a lie.

Another option you could make is to allow the user to choose before the game starts whether to turn blood on or off. If you choose to do this, the question should be "Would you like to turn blood off?" and then have a "yes" and "no" square, and depending on what they pick it would turn a boolean called "bloodOn" either on or off. Then in your methods where the blood shows up you could put it in an if/else statement where if "bloodOn" is turned on, it will display the blood and if it is turned off, it will go to the "else" option and just do nothing with the blood animation.

The first option is probably the easiest, but it would be better if you could do both.

jediaction
10-13-2010, 08:58 PM
I personally don't mind, as it does make a game more realistic, however I do know that many people in the community would have a problem with it.

If it blatantly in the forums rules that you cannot portray blood in the games, then you can't post it on the forums but you can most definitely post it wherever you are allowed to. If it does not say that on the rules, you can post it on the forums but put a ratings warning on the post. You can put in the title, or somewhere else that someone is definitely going to look at and read before downloading, something like "Rated M for violence, gore, (etc...)". That way at least people will be able to take their own moral stand as to whether or not to download it. Just don't use one of those ESRB rating pictures that are on real video games, because your game is most likely not rated by the ESRB, so that would be a lie.

Another option you could make is to allow the user to choose before the game starts whether to turn blood on or off. If you choose to do this, the question should be "Would you like to turn blood off?" and then have a "yes" and "no" square, and depending on what they pick it would turn a boolean called "bloodOn" either on or off. Then in your methods where the blood shows up you could put it in an if/else statement where if "bloodOn" is turned on, it will display the blood and if it is turned off, it will go to the "else" option and just do nothing with the blood animation.

The first option is probably the easiest, but it would be better if you could do both.

Good point, and you will probably say something about me If jumped in and started talking about the system and the sequence of my Realistic Death post...but....i did put warnings....

Fritz
10-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm not putting an option for it off, that ruins the gameplay and degrades the game. I probably won't post the final product if that is what will happen.

I understand there might be younger people but that's my honest opinion, you should go looking at a FPS game if you don't like blood. An FPS game is shooting things...

jediaction
10-14-2010, 08:11 AM
But depends what your shooting at....

Fritz
10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
But depends what your shooting at....

I still don't see. Anyways, it doesn't matter, it's my opinion and choice.

If anyone really needs a clean(er) version, they can ask me personally.

Fritz
10-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Working on clipping at the moment.

Fritz
12-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm sorry guys but as you've probably guessed, I stopped working on this. The teacher said I had basically mastered the program so she let me go straight to AP java.

Dameria
12-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry guys but as you've probably guessed, I stopped working on this. The teacher said I had basically mastered the program so she let me go straight to AP java.

Congrats! I hope everyone learning programming with Alice can be have a success story like that.

jediaction
12-20-2010, 04:57 PM

really? Um. Everything?

Fritz
01-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Congrats! I hope everyone learning programming with Alice can be have a success story like that.

Haha, I'd only even touched it because we had to use it in the prerequisite for AP Java.

I'd been coding java and visual basic for over 2 years before this.

EDIT: Yes everything, from loops to arrays to arguments etc...

Joshhyy
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Can somebody please tell me where i can download a bunch of guns and make a category on Alice for guns please!!

Thanks

Josh

jediaction
06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Just search the "new stuff" thread or just search weapons. Arty-fishL has a whole gallery of guns for download. It is a mix of everyones guns in one big pile of poo. Ask him for it, I can't find the thread.

arty-fishL
06-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Just search the "new stuff" thread or just search weapons. Arty-fishL has a whole gallery of guns for download. It is a mix of everyones guns in one big pile of poo. Ask him for it, I can't find the thread.Here it is (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=4889&page=2). I really need to make a new pack with all the new models in it.

Joshhyy
07-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey

I downloaded this and its great! I just changed the controlls and added a sight button, Can i please use this for a game i am making? PLEAE ! :)

Josh :)

Fritz
07-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Hey

I downloaded this and its great! I just changed the controlls and added a sight button, Can i please use this for a game i am making? PLEAE ! :)

Josh :)

Course you can.

meeatpizza
07-10-2011, 12:25 PM
oh so you made this i saw a video of it on youtube and was wondering who made it

GOOD job:D:D:D:D

KaswanX
11-01-2011, 09:05 PM

While this is good you it's a little sloppy and breaks some rules... I really don't like rules but it's better to stick with them.

Fritz
11-02-2011, 05:06 PM
While this is good you it's a little sloppy and breaks some rules... I really don't like rules but it's better to stick with them.

Don't know what you mean by rules and this is old, I have a better version if you look.

jediaction
11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Don't know what you mean by rules and this is old, I have a better version if you look.

Hey Fritz your back! Welcome back!

AliceMaster00
12-12-2011, 01:51 AM
yaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AliceMaster00
12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
SRY. just need 1 more POST.

AliceMaster00
12-12-2011, 01:53 AM
YES!i hope im a senior.

LedgerNewman
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Where did you import this gun from?