PDA

View Full Version : Alice Tutorial problem

stahlt
12-31-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm using Alice in 8th grade and have them using the 4 tutorials from the opening screen. Several of my students are getting stuck on the "defending naptime" tutorial. It will say they made a mistake and need to go back....and it won't let them move ahead. It seems to be happening at the part where they make the phone ring. Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem. Out of 26 computers it happens to about 7.

MrMoke
01-01-2011, 09:42 PM
It's usually just a lapse in following the detailed instructions in exact order. My students have a tendency to skim the instructions, and the tutorials require precise responses. Good training for novice computer programmers.;)

bcbrian
01-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Actually, that's not a user error, it is truly a software glitch. I've had that exact problem with that specific tutorial at the point of making the phone ring. When I first downloaded the program, I was able to run all of the tutorials with no problem. I also made an occasional error causing the notice and they were not hard to figure out. At one point however, when trying to view that particular tutorial a third or fourth time to study the phone smash, I had that exact problem and never was able to get through it. No matter how much anyone believes it is user error, it is not, but it is not happening on a large scale. I never found it mentioned anywhere until right here, but I have also been using Alice for half a year and while no real expert, I am sure that error is in the program. Remember, I made it through that tutorial a few times before that issue cropped up; I've never bothered to try uninstalling/reinstalling the program or tutorials and it will still error at the same spot every single time. If anyone still has doubt, I can record my screen and share it as an AVI on request.