PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon: Live Clock

David B
02-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Hello Alice Community! I am making something that will come in handy for some people! I am making a live clock on Alice that detects the time on your computer, and displays that time. In addition to the clock that will be in this program, I am planning to have a few other features that I am keeping a secret for now installed on it! Stay tuned for more details!

Dameria
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know if you know this, but I made a program already called Clock that tracks and displays the time in real time from your computer. It is actually a link in my signature, the 3rd one that says "Real-Time Clock".

So, I don't want to demotivate you or anything, but its already been done, here is my program:

reuben2011
02-19-2011, 05:34 PM
You can still make it though, it would be good programming practice and it would be a personal achievement for yourself. Just to let you know that if you write the progra, you would just be re-inventing the wheel.

David B
02-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't know if you know this, but I made a program already called Clock that tracks and displays the time in real time from your computer. It is actually a link in my signature, the 3rd one that says "Real-Time Clock".

So, I don't want to demotivate you or anything, but its already been done, here is my program:

Yes, I know you already did it once. In fact, it was your program that inspired me. My program won't look quite like yours though, and as I said in my first post, I will have other things besides a clock.

Dameria
02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Like a stopwatch and countdown?

David B
02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
You guessed it! Live Clock Beta Version 1 Is Here! Try it out, and tell me how it goes! So far, I am only aware of one bug, but I am trying to fix it.

Again, please report any bugs here!

Dameria
02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't get it, all it is is a stopwach so far, and it doesn't even work very well because it basically just counts up by 1 every 1 second with a bunch of decimal number next to it, it doesn't show the millisecond change rate in real time like a real stopwatch.

And where is the clock part? All I can do is press the button for the stopwatch.

David B
02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I don't get it, all it is is a stopwach so far, and it doesn't even work very well because it basically just counts up by 1 every 1 second with a bunch of decimal number next to it, it doesn't show the millisecond change rate in real time like a real stopwatch.

And where is the clock part? All I can do is press the button for the stopwatch.

Actually, the clock is included, but the camera is set to a position that only shows the stopwatch. As for the stopwatch, I am working on fixing this problem. I will probably just change the stopwatch system altogether. If you want to try out the clock, click on the button that looks like this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/2EUI4xSkHxHuNaH_vKcFOjWkqE2kTfPWxtookJWgwW-DyCKCymEgFPLB1grjbOYdw7H9Kk-02p28pichuJ9vkojtVw=s512

After you do that, click on the button that looks like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/WYKDhBmzjD-hz2q5GHgO8X8KJYaXz0kGHodEbKrF0hkQYX6K9tVlBrZEw5Xr9 FbUcGRYaIRrjYRnC64OMdo24HrTyw=s512

From the dummy menu, choose the Date-Time dummy.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/byOUyqX4jZXJ9eg760sCCgGELdJBo8NjKl--0jxpbgZWX_lzN-4cYJvJMUCuDRyhH88gSPrZnOt-Z1Zx3VqljN5XGg=s512

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_bnVW4ckIsNWouaygpES6LZdRxmQ_Ph4GJji_ySqk5EZz9H4Id FW8xfOdVX_4n_rTvxn96P3ftNLSuIemlhE7lsbmg=s512

After moving the camera, the screen will look like this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/e_RaGIY1VCgkeF0MNK2fT80Gzv3Xo23eW_DUqKeUZXPS4__Z1P DXTIdXcfiBLMaNrtSrkXspRGqwQTrNNoyaETMzOw=s512

Click the button that looks like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TKGNQYBnv-VDu4W1bVdVO5RqNt2r7pI2pax01gQGtsKdY4LE6usBkV-RSuTnACGvzBHXWEj-slHtwhrH2-5FVOV0fw=s512

Click the play button:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/ygX91uz2naeLbmN8Z2Sgk5nWTlniRgyiKlf-_dO4e4jul5coTPqUyTOUQzDSDLhzalAgp7YGgLte4QR7ishKXe l9_w=s512

Watch in amazement!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_J9EXVeeXlt3aCV8_kMGkL6a5xcMdmnEW15ClrE48PTItWkJ8H R6jyx5a7sD-fbg-jKX16hIJFa_6M-ba8J6gDBniA=s512

Additional Notice: As you may have noticed, some of the buttons in my snapshots, look different, that is because I modified Alice's Python Code, and my download of Alice 2.2 looks like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/ZdxKV0uCQO2xcJbPe8h3Etc4KbBMq3n99bunlArbjRUv3aEFy4 wjWBrTiidKQG074Zw8DtcoshVwR1RENx3W-jj_lA=s512

Dameria
02-20-2011, 07:03 PM
I fixed the stopwatch thing in your version by going to the stopwatch method and making the duration of that last line of code in the while statement set to "Duration = 0.05 seconds", and then put that whole thing in a rounding function so that it only shows first two decimal places instead of all of it.

Also you should add a button in the actual program to switch to the clock portion. Oh, and the stop watch is totally off. You are using the "time elapsed" function, or something like that, but you should be. There is no way to reset the time because of this, even when you click the reset button, it will just keep on producing the same elapsed time, which is not a stop watch at all.

David B
02-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I fixed the stopwatch thing in your version by going to the stopwatch method and making the duration of that last line of code in the while statement set to "Duration = 0.05 seconds", and then put that whole thing in a rounding function so that it only shows first two decimal places instead of all of it.

Also you should add a button in the actual program to switch to the clock portion. Oh, and the stop watch is totally off. You are using the "time elapsed" function, or something like that, but you should be. There is no way to reset the time because of this, even when you click the reset button, it will just keep on producing the same elapsed time, which is not a stop watch at all.

Please upload your version of my program so that I may see what changes you made. Please upload it as 1.5 Beta. As for what you said about the switching between the clock/stopwatch thing. I have already implemented that feature in 2 Beta, but I am not going to release the second beta just yet because I am not ready yet. I will be sure to have Beta 2 ready by this coming Saturday. Also, in order to reset the stopwatch, you have to exit Alice altogether. This is a problem that I am trying to fix, but I am not sure how. Also, I want to figure out how to get rid of the super long number that appears in front of the stopwatch.

ex: instead of 555.3842819348600542189621921 I want 555.39

My clock is working properly as far as I can tell, but I am still trying to make sure that the day of the week detector is working properly. The day of the week detector scans constantly to see if the day of the week has changed, but this change only occurs at midnight. I am making an attempt to make sure that at midnight, the day of the week is automatically changed, and you don't need to restart the program. As far as I can tell, this scanning system is working properly. I plan to get rid of my stopwatch system altogether, and start it over from scratch, because in Beta 2 of my live clock, some of the bugs that I didn't know exsisted are starting to come out of the woodwork.

I know of no problems with the clock in Beta 1 of my project, but some of the problems I know of in Beta 1 of my stopwatch are:

1.) To reset the stopwatch, you must restart Alice altogether.
2.) The restart button on the stopwatch only works the first time you use it.
3.) The stopwatch is slow.
4.) The stopwatch is too detailed. ex: 555.3842819348600542189621921 instead of 555.39.
5.) The minutes and hours on the stopwatch do not show. ex: 65.3842819348600542189621921 instead of 1:05.39

Dameria
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Im sorry, but the rounding thing doesn't work, I just tried for about 20 minutes to get it to work, but the thing is that there is no function to round to a certain decimal place. I even tried to compensate for this by doing multiplying the decimal by 100 (to get the two digits past the decimal place), round that number to get rid of the rest of the decimals, and then divide by 100 so that those two decimal places would be the only ones showing, but for some reason it did not work and kept showing long decimals. It is a flaw in Alice's programming, maybe one that they can fix.

I'll attach here what I tried to do in the stopwatch method so that you can see, but it didn't work. Look at the Duration change that I made to the While statement there, that is why it updates faster than every 1 second. There are also a few other errors in your program.

David B
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Im sorry, but the rounding thing doesn't work, I just tried for about 20 minutes to get it to work, but the thing is that there is no function to round to a certain decimal place. I even tried to compensate for this by doing multiplying the decimal by 100 (to get the two digits past the decimal place), round that number to get rid of the rest of the decimals, and then divide by 100 so that those two decimal places would be the only ones showing, but for some reason it did not work and kept showing long decimals. It is a flaw in Alice's programming, maybe one that they can fix.

I'll attach here what I tried to do in the stopwatch method so that you can see, but it didn't work. Look at the Duration change that I made to the While statement there, that is why it updates faster than every 1 second. There are also a few other errors in your program.

Great job! Thanks for helping! I will base Beta Version 2 off of Beta Version 1.5, not Beta Version 1!

Dameria
02-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Great job! Thanks for helping! I will base Beta Version 2 off of Beta Version 1.5, not Beta Version 1!

All I did was change one thing though! If you have already worked on beta version 2, dont just redo everything youve done. Just add what I have added, it would take litterally 2 seconds. Also you dont need to do the whole rounding thing because it didn't work for me (did it work for you?). All I did other than the rounding was to set the duration of the stopwatch to refresh every 0.05 seconds.

David B
02-22-2011, 10:00 AM
All I did was change one thing though! If you have already worked on beta version 2, dont just redo everything youve done. Just add what I have added, it would take litterally 2 seconds. Also you dont need to do the whole rounding thing because it didn't work for me (did it work for you?). All I did other than the rounding was to set the duration of the stopwatch to refresh every 0.05 seconds.

I posted in a previous post in this thread that I would scrap the stopwach all together, and restart it from scratch, but I think that after what you did, that won't be necessary. Also, I am not sure why you said that the rounding thing in your version of the stopwatch didn't work, because as far as I can tell, your stopwatch is working perfectly. The only problem I still have with the stopwatch is that the pause/restart system only works once, then it stops working all together. This problem will probably be the last problem to be fixed, but as far as I can tell, at this point, this is the only problem. Everything else appears to be working perfectly. If you can help me fix this problem, please do so.

Here is a picture of your stopwatch in action!

http://davidbsaliceforumsfiles.yolasite.com/resources/Captured%202-22%2010h52m05s.jpg?timestamp=1298391389000

reuben2011
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I think what dameria means is that when the last digit ends in "0", it becomes truncated (cut off.) For example the stopwatch would be like:

5.3 <-The zero is cut off

Hey! Guess what though! I just so happened to download the stopwatch program in this thread and modified it so the extra zeros appear! :D What I did was test if the number was divisible by ten (after multiplying it by 100 and flooring it.) Would you guys like me to post this modified version?

David B
02-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I think what dameria means is that when the last digit ends in "0", it becomes truncated (cut off.) For example the stopwatch would be like:

5.3 <-The zero is cut off

Hey! Guess what though! I just so happened to download the stopwatch program in this thread and modified it so the extra zeros appear! :D What I did was test if the number was divisible by ten (after multiplying it by 100 and flooring it.) Would you guys like me to post this modified version?

Yes! Post it as Beta 1.75! Thank you for all of the help you guys are giving me! As for the zero being cut off, it really doesn't bother me that much, but it would be nice to fix.

Dameria
02-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Actually, my version was not working like that. What was happening with me was that it still showed a huge amount of decimals afterwards, so its weird that it worked for you but not for me, I even have the new version of Alice 2.2 installed. Hmm, thats really weird haha I have no idea why it is like this:

reuben2011
02-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Actually, my version was not working like that. What was happening with me was that it still showed a huge amount of decimals afterwards, so its weird that it worked for you but not for me, I even have the new version of Alice 2.2 installed. Hmm, thats really weird haha I have no idea why it is like this:

That's odd, considering I worked off of your template for beta 1.75. Anyways, here is my version. I basically checked for divisibility and concatenated the extra 0's if it was necessary. Let me know if my version works for you Dameria.

David B
02-24-2011, 06:04 PM

I'm sorry, but I have no answer as to why that is.

David B
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I will be releasing beta 2 within the next hour, so please wait if you are going to help me out. Thank you.

reuben2011
02-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Did beta 1.75 work for you? Also, it's been over an hour. =P

David B
02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
I will be releasing beta 2 within the next hour, so please wait if you are going to help me out. Thank you.

Did beta 1.75 work for you? Also, it's been over an hour. =P

I know. It has been longer than an hour. I am sorry. I was destracted by a friend who wanted me to help him on a project, so I had to abandon posting Beta 2.0 until now. Yes. Beta 1.75 worked for me. I am sorry for the inconvinences I may have caused many of you. Please feel free to upload sub-betas if you have managed to improve them. The next sub-beta should be 2.1, then 2.2, and so on. Thank you for you patience! I am sorry again. Thank you!

P.S.: My birthday is tomorrow!

David B
02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Did anybody try it out? If so, does it work?

P.S.: Today is my birthday!

David B
02-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Can somebody please help me check beta 2.0 for bugs? I am looking for them myself, and have found one, but I don't know how to fix it. Help would be appreciated. The bug is that when you run the stopwatch, and hit puase, restart it, and pause it again, the restart button doesn't work. Also, I am trying to get a system in place that enables you to reset the stopwatch without needing to restart Alice. Help making these dreams reality is much appreciated. If you find a bug in version 2.0, and wish to correct it and re-upload it, please name it Live Clock Beta 2.1. Thank you to all of you that have helped me so far. I would still be struggling with the stopwatch's annoying 5.52389083790736837 if it wasn't for you.

I would like to give a special thanks to the following members of the Alice Community Forums for helping my Live Clock be the best it can be. The members who have helped me are:

1.) Dameria (http://www.alice.org/community/member.php?u=7566)
2.) reuben2011 (http://www.alice.org/community/member.php?u=7763)

Download Live Clock Beta 2.0 (http://www.alice.org/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=4240&d=1298689176)

reuben2011
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I made a long post but it got deleted because I got automatically logged out (without knowing) after a certain amount of minutes of inactivity. Anyways I noticed three problems.

1) The clock. If its something like 7:09:05, it will display 7:9:5.
2) The timer continues even when it is paused.
3) The timer doesn't restart the time every time the application is opened.

Solutions (with respect to the numbered problems:)
1) Concatenate a "0" to the minute or second if it is less than 10.
2 & 3) Create an offset variable, set it to time elapsed in the beginning of the program (or where ever needed), and display the time as elapsed time minus the offset.

See if you can fix these solutions yourself first using the advice I gave. If you are still having difficulty implementing these solutions, just say so in the this thread and I'll see if I can do it myself.
~Best of luck

David B
02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
I made a long post but it got deleted because I got automatically logged out (without knowing) after a certain amount of minutes of inactivity. Anyways I noticed three problems.

1) The clock. If its something like 7:09:05, it will display 7:9:5.
2) The timer continues even when it is paused.
3) The timer doesn't restart the time every time the application is opened.

Solutions (with respect to the numbered problems:)
1) Concatenate a "0" to the minute or second if it is less than 10.
2 & 3) Create an offset variable, set it to time elapsed in the beginning of the program (or where ever needed), and display the time as elapsed time minus the offset.

See if you can fix these solutions yourself first using the advice I gave. If you are still having difficulty implementing these solutions, just say so in the this thread and I'll see if I can do it myself.
~Best of luck

Thanks! I haven't started Beta Version 3 yet, but when I do, I will be sure to try out at fixing these problems. I already know how to fix a few of them, but some of the other ones look more challenging.

David B
03-05-2011, 07:42 PM
I know I haven't posted an update to this thread lately, but as soon as I finish Beta Version 3, I will get the action on this thread started again. Be sure to stay tuned to this thread for more information.

David B
03-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I was just sitting around one day posting random posts on the Alice Forums, thinking about all of the problems people that have tried out my stopwatch had had with it, when it hit me. I plan to scrap the entire stopwatch system currently in place, totally rebuild it for Beta Version 3. I know WHAT I want to do, and HOW to do it, but for some reason, I can't find the words to EXPLAIN what I want to do. I hope that later tonight I will be able to post an example of this stopwatch I speak of later tonight, but I don't have time right now.

David B
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Live Clock Beta Version 3 is in the process of being developed. Please do not post your own beta versions of the live clock at this time, as all of them will be ignored. Please continue to test Beta Version 3 for bugs, and post the issues here. Chances that any bug reports you submit now will be fixed in Beta Version 4, and not in Beta Version 3. Once again, if you find a bug in the clock, do not fix it and upload it here, but simply report it. You also have the option of waiting until Beta Version 3 is released, and fixing it then, but the most prefered way of dealing with found bugs is simply reporting them. Thank you to all of you who take the time to review and report bugs.

David B
03-07-2011, 09:10 AM
After about a week of testing Live Clock Beta Version 2.0 out, Live Clock Beta Version 3.0 is here! You may release your own sub-betas if you wish. Each sub-beta should be based off of the latest sub-beta released. For each sub-beta released, the number after the decimal point will increment by one. (eg. 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, 3.11, and so on) I am well aware that this beta version has some bugs in it, but I am trying to fix them in beta version 4.0, but for now, I will allow those of you on the forums to do some bug-checking yourself. Please report any bugs you find, or create a sub-beta and fix those bugs yourself. I will give some time before I begin working on Live Clock Beta Version 4.0. Beta Version 3.0 contains bugs that, if you fix, I will greatly appreciate. Also, sometime in the future, I plan to release an Alice world that features how my new envisioned stopwatch system will work. This Beta Version does not contain the new stopwatch system, and is still running the original system that I created back in Live Clock Beta Version 1.0. The system I am planning will probably not be encorperated into Live Clock Beta Version 4.0 or 5.0. I expcect that the improved version of the stopwatch will be released in Live Clock Beta Version 6.0. Some of you may ask why I am going to release my new stopwatch system as a seperate program before adding it to the main program. My reason for doing this is simple: This stopwatch that I plan to make, based on my knowledge of Alice, should work, but in the event that it does not work, I want to be able to still have the still buggy, yet good enough stopwatch to revert back to. To make sure that bug reports for the new stopwatch stay seperate from the bug reports for the main Live Clock Beta bug reports, I will post the timer in a seperate thread, and post a link to it here. So ... what is new in Live Clock Beta Version 3.0?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

New features in Live Clock Beta Version 3.0.

1.) Reuben reported a bug that I already knew about but hadn't had the intention to fix it until he reported it. The bug was that the second and minute on the clock, when they were in single digits, didn't show the extra zero at the begining for example, at 7:00:05 AM, the clock would display 7:0:5.

2.) This feature isn't complete, but I started working on it. This feature is very buggy, and isn't working very well. When you select the clock from the menu, the option for a 12 hour or 24 hour clock comes up. For some reason, the buttons don't work, so if you want to release a sub-beta of the Live Clock, please try to fix this problem. I tried to fix it myself, but nothing worked. I am not sure why.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Please help us make the final release of the Live Clock better by reporting any and all bugs, or by releasing sub-betas. The next sub-beta to be released should be named Live Clock Beta Version 3.1. Also, be sure to post that you are working on a sub-beta before you start working on it so that way multiple sub-betas based off of the same version of the Live Clock are not uploaded. This would cause confusion that we do not need or want.

Thank you for your patience waiting for Live Clock Beta Version 3.0 to be released. Also, thank you for your patience with this long post.

David B
03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Did anybody even bother to look? (^bump^)

reuben2011
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I will get to it. Btw, I see you now know how to use the word "bump" in a forum.

David B
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I will get to it. Btw, I see you now know how to use the word "bump" in a forum.

Thanks for being a loyal beta tester! As for the "bump", I learned that trick from you!

jediaction
03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
You guessed it! Live Clock Beta Version 1 Is Here! Try it out, and tell me how it goes! So far, I am only aware of one bug, but I am trying to fix it.

Again, please report any bugs here!

Have you seen my Windows Alice program?

David B
03-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Have you seen my Windows Alice program?

No I haven't, but please upload it, I want to see it.

jediaction
03-11-2011, 09:07 AM
It was posted last year. Just search Windows Alice. I dont know what else to add on it

David B
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Has anybody reviewed Live Clock Beta Version 3.0? Most of you probably think that I have forgotten about this thread, but I haven't, I just have been busy with other threads, and therefore, had to set this one aside for later. Now that I am bringing this thread back to life, please continue the beta testing of Live Clock Beta Version 3.0. I will begin working on Live Clock Beta Version 4.0 as soon as I finish with a different project, but until then, please feel free to report bugs, or create a sub-beta of the Live Clock. The next sub-beta should be named Live Clock Beta Version 3.1. Thanks!

Click Here To Download Live Clock Beta Version 3.0 (http://www.alice.org/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=4290&d=1299510612)

David B
03-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Did you ever get to it like you said you would?

reuben2011
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes, just this morning. :p

Anyways,

I can't see the clock at all.
When you start the start-watch, it doesn't start at 0.
Spelling =P
I can only pause the watch a certain number of times.
The watch still continues "ticking" "behind the scenes" while the timer is paused.

David B
03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes, just this morning. :p

Anyways,

I can't see the clock at all.
When you start the start-watch, it doesn't start at 0.
Spelling =P
I can only pause the watch a certain number of times.
The watch still continues "ticking" "behind the scenes" while the timer is paused.

Okay. Thanks. I will see what I can do to fix that. If you want, you may create Live Clock Beta Version 3.1.

David B
03-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Whats the bump for, you said you would look into the glitches that were posted and try to fix them.

Plus, you shouldn't bump a thread unless a thread that you find really interesting has been dead for a few days, and the last person to post on this thread before your bump was earlier today...

No more bump. I wasn't thinking.

David B
04-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Although it may seem as though I have forgotten about this thread, I haven't. I will release a new beta edition some time, but for now, I am focused on the AODb Community Forums.

Please continue to beta test and report bugs on the latest beta edition until then.

Thank you!

David B
07-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately, I am moving on in my programming experience, and I have decided to announce that this project is dead. This project will remain dead until further notice. I may get this project rolling again, but for now, this is project is dead. You may continue to provide suggestions on how to make the program better. You can also release your own beta of this project. Thank you for all of your support on this project up until this point. I know that it may be sad to see this project dead, but I want to move on to C++, Java, HTML, & Python for now. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

David B
09-21-2011, 02:44 PM
This project has been declared dead. The decision to do this was made when I reviewed my educational obligations which I have. I am trying to finish work on the PLCF, and my goal is to get it done before 2012. If I had time, this project would still remain alive, but to increase my chance of reaching my goal, I must spend all of my free time working on the PLCF.

I know that this is getting a little off topic, but progress on the PLCF is good. I am also happy to announce that I now have two moderators who now help me keep the view of the forum in the public eye in order while I work behind the scenes making the invisible features of the forum visible.