PDA

View Full Version : Cannot install on new PC

sonyahedrick
03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
I have a student with a brand new PC & she cannot install Alice 2.2. Here's what we've done. . .

1) she mistakenly downloaded v3 first & it runs just fine. But now she can't work on her team project because its in v2.2.
2) I suggested we copy v2.2 from my PC via USB. When she clicks on the exe, the splash screen loads but disappears before long & the main Alice screen does not load.
3) I've looked in the processes to see if Alice is running in the background but it's not.
4) we uninstalled v3 just in case it was somehow interfering. Still no luck!

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks for any help!

jediaction
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
So she downloaded Alice 3 Beta? Thats what it sounds like. Well, Alice 3 files will not work on Alice 2. She can download Alice 2.2 but just download the Windows version. You can download it from the website. Try that then see if it works. But Install it in a different location. Here is the download page -> Click_Here (http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=downloads/download_alice2.2)

Wireless G
03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
There's something about students downloading Alice. I showed Alice to an entire sixth grade class and about 40 kids tried to download it and told me that it didn't work. I repetitively showed them how to do it, but the directions were lost between my classoom and their home computer. When I was at a total loss I just put it on a CD for them (I had a lot).

debussybunny563
03-30-2011, 05:33 PM
I have a student with a brand new PC & she cannot install Alice 2.2. Here's what we've done. . .

1) she mistakenly downloaded v3 first & it runs just fine. But now she can't work on her team project because its in v2.2.
2) I suggested we copy v2.2 from my PC via USB. When she clicks on the exe, the splash screen loads but disappears before long & the main Alice screen does not load.
3) I've looked in the processes to see if Alice is running in the background but it's not.
4) we uninstalled v3 just in case it was somehow interfering. Still no luck!

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks for any help!

Download Alice from the main page (http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=downloads/download_alice2.2), not from a USB flash drive.

It should still work on/from a flash drive (I have Alice on mine and it works fine), but having each student download it would probably be a safer bet.

There's something about students downloading Alice. I showed Alice to an entire sixth grade class and about 40 kids tried to download it and told me that it didn't work. I repetitively showed them how to do it, but the directions were lost between my classoom and their home computer. When I was at a total loss I just put it on a CD for them (I had a lot).

Keep in mind (or rather, have the students keep in mind) that Alice, when downloaded, comes in a .zip file. They'll have to extract the files first before they can open and use the program. That's my guess as to why they were unsuccessful, though it may have been other reasons.

sonyahedrick
04-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Actually, she was able to get it downloaded but it still doesn't run on her PC. The splash screen appears for a few seconds, disappears, & the program never actually loads. It makes no since. She has tried both exe's - Alice & slow and steady. Neither work for her. None of my other students have had any trouble. Any other thoughts on what might be happening?

David B
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Let me research it for you. I've heard about this kind of problem before.

David B
04-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Okay. I have done my research, and here is what I have uncovered. This is a very old thread, but I discovered it when someone else on the forums was having a similar problem, and I was trying to help. This thread describes a problem that is similar to the one you describe. Here is a link to the lost treasure http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=50&posted=1#post50. Read over it, and let me know if it is helpful to you. I hope this helps!

sonyahedrick
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for everyone's help with this issue!! I was going to try the information suggested in the last post from DavidB, but the PC was "fixed" before I could try that. Since our findings are relevant to the thread that DavidB referred me to, I will post our findings in that location. Thanks again!