PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulator with AI

Dj Tech42
06-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I have been working on a flight simulator in Alice. I hope you enjoy it!

Make sure you read the comments in the Speed Control and Gravity method (my first method) in order to figure out the controls, and you can look at release notes for each version.

In Version 5, I have added a basic dogfight mode where you face a computer-controlled enemy.

Latest Official Release: 7.5
Latest Beta Release: 8.0 Beta 2

Official Releases:
Version 7.5 for Windows: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.5%20Windows.a2w
Version 7.5 for Mac: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.5%20Mac.a2w

Betas (Only download if you are part of developing this game or if you are curious to see the new features being developed. These betas will probably be buggy/unstable. (sometimes laggy)):
8.0 Beta 2 Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%202%20Windows.a2w
8.0 Beta 2 Mac and Linux:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%202%20Mac%20and%20 Linux.a2w

Version 7 & 8 Credits:
zero00-main menu design, jet engine volume control
arty-fishL-scripting for saving to files, string to int conversion script
legolizard-mouse position scripting

Note: If you are getting an error in versions 7.0 and 7.5, go to the iOTool object and click the properties tab. Set the variables that have "file" in them (Current_File, Preferences File, Highscores File, Calibrated File, Calibrate X File, Calibrate Y File, etc.) (NOT return string and NOT return number) to the path you want the files to be stored in (i.e. C:\yourcustompath\Prefs.txt). Make sure that the file name is in there.

Windows version default path is C:\.
Mac version default path is /Users/Shared/

You can also take away the file paths and just leave the file names in the variables if you want the game to save the files to the Alice directory. If you do it this way, you don't need to worry about file paths. This will be default on 8.0.

jediaction
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Is it over 20MB?

Dj Tech42
06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, that's why I posted it on DropBox

arty-fishL
06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
That's a pretty brilliant, well thought out game. Especially good for a newbie to the forums.

One major issue is - you forgot to set the Settings Window object is showing to false, so you cant click on any options to start the game, but if you fix it (I did when I played it) it plays perfectly fine.

Dj Tech42
06-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks! Thanks for the warning about the Settings Window, too. I thought that setting opacity to 0% would do the same thing, but it doesn't. I will have to remember to always set isShowing to false so the mouse clicks don't get messed up. I have edited the post to include the new link.

reuben2011
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a promising game. I'll tell you how it is after I play it. ;)

Dj Tech42
06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Here is Version 6.0 Beta if anybody wants to try it out!

If you haven't played the game yet, please play the version posted at the top. This is the new beta and it might have bugs that I don't know about yet. I haven't gotten to do extensive bug testing on it.

Version 6.0 Beta has added a timer to the dogfight modes so you can compare your times with other people on Alice Community Forums :D

There are also some other things added, changed, and fixed, which are discussed in the release notes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%206.0%20Beta.a2w

Dj Tech42
07-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Version 6 should be up soon. I just have to fix a couple of bugs first.

Dj Tech42
07-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Version 6 is completely done!

You can now time yourself during the dogfight modes and post your times in this thread!
Just include what difficulty you were playing on and the time.

I added a tutorial for first time players.

Stalling is a lot more realistic now.

There are also a bunch of bug fixes and other new minor features.

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%206.0.a2w

room14
07-11-2011, 12:22 AM
I can't load the world! :mad:

Dj Tech42
07-11-2011, 11:58 AM
That's strange. :( Does an error come up or does it just freeze up? Did you try the older versions?

room14
07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I tired both I comes up with unable to load error
It's probably because I have An ancient version of Alice2.2

Dj Tech42
07-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Why don't you update Alice? I'm guessing it is because you have added files to it that would be overwritten if you reinstalled.

Dj Tech42
07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I think the reason it didn't load is I used the int function, which was added later to Alice 2.2.

Dj Tech42
07-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Version 6.5 is here!

-New "Brutal" difficulty brings a tough new challenge to expert players.
-Harder enemies across all difficulties
-Enemy can shoot behind them now
-New visual assist in Easy, Medium, and Hard to see where the enemy is aiming to shoot
-Fixed some bugs
Look at the release notes for more information.

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%206.5.a2w

Nighthawk0973
07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
try switching file hosting services. I'll review this game if it's good enough but if it's not that great I'll just give it a small review... anyways DropBox won't let me open the .zip to take the file out without having the .zip AND the .a2w file downloaded. My personal preference :)

Dj Tech42
07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Last time I checked, it wasn't in a zip file...

room14
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
hey I downloaded the new alice and looked at your game it's cool!
there are few bugs and you'll need a better ai, but I like it.

Suggestion: what about having a better plane and having more planes to choose from?

Dj Tech42
07-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks! Hopefully in Version 7, I can improve the AI. Are the spatial relation functions working for you now, then?

I looked at some other plane models and some of them are really cool. I might add a plane selector soon. I guess I could use parameters to make it easier to program.

room14
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
The funny thing is, I can play the function but I can not make the function.
more like I can play it and I can add it but if i add it, it does not work.

pity 'cos I have a cool ai that should work.

Dj Tech42
07-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Does it come up with an error or does it just not do anything?

Is it possible to open a project to copy the functions over so they work?

room14
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
do nothing.

room14
07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
tried not() function with it and it works but if i invert the direction(left to right) it still does nothing..

Dj Tech42
07-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't know much about debugging Alice, so I can't help you there. :( Do you want me to test what you have so far?

room14
07-19-2011, 09:05 PM
It's doubles up as a user control thing as well as an ai.

Dj Tech42
08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm happy to announce that Alice 2.2 now works on my computer again! Thanks Alice development team! I can start working on this again.

Dj Tech42
08-07-2011, 02:41 PM
My game is pretty laggy now. I was wondering if anybody could figure out how to make it more efficient.

Warning! This is a beta version of 7.0. It has many bugs and is very slow to run. Only download this beta if you want to look at the code and help figure out what is causing the game to lag so much.

7.0 adds:
-Mouse Control (Thanks to legolizard for the scripting.)
-Saving of Game Settings (Preserves settings so they remain the same when you run the world again. Thanks to arty-fishL's iOTool plugin.
Warning! The code in this game for saving hasn't been tested on Windows or Linux yet. It is recommended that you disable this feature or you probably will not be able to run the world. Details in the release notes on how to do this.
-Improved AI (not in this version. It will be coming in the official 7.0 release.)

Flight Simulator 7.0 Beta download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta.a2w

Beta 2:
-Jet engine sound for player's plane (Thanks to zero00 for showing me how to change volume of sound while the sound is already playing. Volume of jet engine changes with how close the camera is to the plane.)
-Fixed turning speeds (plane turned just a little too fast in the first beta)
-Shows how to use new mouse control in tutorial

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%202.a2w

legolizard
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
That was really cool. Also and this may just be because I have a gaming computer, but your game worked perfectly. No lag, no memory leaks, nothing.:)

Dj Tech42
08-07-2011, 04:52 PM
That was really cool. Also and this may just be because I have a gaming computer, but your game worked perfectly. No lag, no memory leaks, nothing.:)

Thanks. It still lags a bit on my computer (It's almost 2 years old now), so I'm going to look for ways to speed up the game a little bit by the final release of Version 7.

dubastot
08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Perhaps try reducing the number of if statements and loops.

Dj Tech42
08-10-2011, 07:17 PM
7.0 Beta 3 is here! This beta enables the saving functionality (with the iOTool). There is a Windows version and a Mac version due to the file systems being different on the operating systems. Before you start the world, go to the iOTool's properties and change the 6 string variables (current_file and the other file variables) to the file paths you want the files to be in. When you run the world for the first time, it will create the files and ask you to calibrate your mouse. When the calibration message comes up, put your mouse cursor at the bottom-right corner of your screen. This will tell the game what your screen size is, so the new mouse control of the plane will perform correctly. You only need to calibrate once. Do not exit the world or click/press anything until the red message disappears. The red message tells you that the program is loading/saving.

When everything is set up, the world will load its preferences and the calibration. After about 4 seconds, you will be able to start the game. I hope you like the new saving functionality! It is cool how you don't need to set your preferences up or calibrate every time you run the world. It just loads your previous configuration! In the final version, it will record your times and store them in the high scores file so you can look at your best times for each difficulty and compare them to other people.

Thanks to arty for the awesome iOTool and the string to number conversion script used in this version. I hope you guys can test this out so the final version can be relatively bug-free.

Download 7 Beta 3 for Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%203%20Windows.a2w

Download 7 Beta 3 for Mac:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%203%20Mac.a2w

Nighthawk0973
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
This sounds exiting. Would you mind me giving it a full review even though it's in 'Beta'? I mean, I'll see how good or bad it is first... if it's really bad I'll just assume it needs more work and give you some feedback.

Dj Tech42
08-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Sure! The only reason it is still in beta is because there are 2 more things I want to add for the final version. You can review it now because it shouldn't have too many bugs.

Nighthawk0973
08-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Welp than here goes!

Snowfire Games Presents...

Flight Simulator (WITH AI! :D)

The Review...

------

Flight Simulator with AI (let's just call it FSAI for short) is a great aproach towards making a flight simulator. However, while it might be in it's beta phase, the 'bugs' are the wors of problems. So is FSAI a good game? Lets find out in this review
---------------------

Presentation
------------
The Presentation of FSAI definately could've been worse. The main menu looks nice but once you start to leave the city there is no detail in the scrolling menu. The fact that you must configure where you want to save the files out of games is a bit sad too. The GUIs are very responsive however, and their design and looks are decent as well. My biggest gripe is probably with the tutorial mode. While it explains the concepts of flying your plane just fine, the fact that your always in the middle of flying while learning at the same time makes learning the game a bit difficult. The game also puts a lot of information in one short time, given the fact that the control scheme isn't very easy to remember, it would've been nice if the games tutorial went at a slower pace. Especially since flying and not crashing while reading text is a nightmare....
--------------
Audio/Video
-----------
My biggest gripe with this game has probably got to be with the graphics. There's no visual design unless your at the city and that means you'll be staring at a lot of the same alice grass... The clouds look nice on the other hand and all of the planes animate smoothly with one exception that I'll talk about later. And while there is no sound effects the music is brilliant and there is more than just one music track.
--------------------------------------
Gameplay
---------
The gameplay isn't as good as it could've been. While all the controls run smoothly it'll take most people a while to figure out the mouse is configured so that idle is in the top-left area of the screen. Provided you remember the controls however getting your camera in the perfect position should only take but a minute. The controls all work smoothly but when your acually shooting it's a bit tougher than you'd expect. First of all your switched to first person mode for percission aiming when you press P. I think you should've been able to shoot at any time. Second of all every time a shot is fired the game freezes up for a split second. I don't know if this is because of a studder in the frame rate of something in the code but it makes Dog Fight impossible to play.
-----
Replay Value
------------
There is definately a lot of modes here and there are different dogfight difficulty levels too. the Problem is sense 'Simulation' is just flying around the dull environments with no purpose, and dogfight lags when you acually shooting, I don't know why anybody would want to play this game. Howeversince there are the difficulty levels for dogfight it would last for a while if you where willing to put up with the shooting problem, or if it doesn't affect you at all.
----------------

The Verdict
-----------

Presentation: 8.5
The Presentations OK but the tutorial could've been better. And the GUI
was almost there too...

Audio/Video: 6.0
The level design is to a minimum and given the fact that there's only one area in the entire game, is just sad. There is a savior to that, and it's probably what impresses me most about this game: the Music, which is brilliant. As with lot's of alice games.

Gameplay: 8.5
The Game runs brilliant. There is no lag you you can tweak camera to your likeing. It's a too bad there's that one problem with the shooting or else this gameplay would almost get a 10.

Replay Value: 6.0
Well, if you like the simulation mode, I guess this could last a while to you. But the dog fight just fails horribly because of the shooting. Still there is the diffcultys if your willing to live with these issues. But in the end a game that's not really playable to start doesn't even have a '(Not Re)Play Value'

Final Score: 7.5(Good)

There isn't much wrong with this game. While some problems could've been fixed most of this runs perfectly. However that issue you get when trying to shoot (or when enemies shoot) is really sad since it prevents the acuall purpose of the gmae from being fun. Sadly, this is not a good enough game to keep it loaded in my Alice for a while. In fact this is one of the worlds that will be deleted when I get around to cleaning my Alice Save Folder, if I get around to it.

Dj Tech42
08-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the review. I will work out whatever is causing the freeze with the shooting.It doesn't seem too bad on my computer, but I did notice it a little bit. I will also work on making the level(s) more interesting. I would like to add building collision detection, too, to add more of a challenge. Possibly some heat-seeking missiles. You can shoot whenever you want. I guess I didn't make that clear in the tutorial.

Well, now I know what to work on. I hope I can make the dogfight mode really fun in future versions.

zero00
08-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Incredible game! :D
Also, good job using Arty's IO Tool! Wish I knew how to use it! :p

Also, I thought I could help out with the game a little. I took a copy of your game and changed the main menu a little. I replaced the 3D text objects you used in the main menu and replaced them with billboards. Nothing else was changed. If you want, I could do some more UI design.

You can download it Here! (http://www.mediafire.com/file/0bpmqts5v4nyqwg/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%203%20Windows%20-%20Zero00.a2w)

BTW, regarding the warning in the main menu about not clicking on anything while the IO Tool is working. Could you make the main menu buttons invisible until the IO Tool is finished, then fade them back in the view?

Dj Tech42
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Also, I thought I could help out with the game a little. I took a copy of your game and changed the main menu a little. I replaced the 3D text objects you used in the main menu and replaced them with billboards. Nothing else was changed. If you want, I could do some more UI design.

Looks cool. Thanks! It would be great if you could help with UI design.

BTW, regarding the warning in the main menu about not clicking on anything while the IO Tool is working. Could you make the main menu buttons invisible until the IO Tool is finished, then fade them back in the view?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I will definitely implement that for the 7.0 final version.

zero00
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Looks cool. Thanks! It would be great if you could help with UI design.
Sure! :D

zero00
08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I'll keep working on the copy of the game I posted above.

Also, I think I found a bug (or something). If you stay on the main menu for too long, the camera flies through the sky.

Dj Tech42
08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Can somebody give me the AlicePreferences.xml file? Somehow I lost it and I can't enable scripting anymore.

It should be in your .alice2 folder

Nighthawk0973
08-11-2011, 04:28 PM

You can download it Here! (http://www.mediafire.com/file/0bpmqts5v4nyqwg/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%203%20Windows%20-%20Zero00.a2w)

I'll upload a world showing how to use it the best way for your games.

Dj Tech42
08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
7.0 Beta 4!
-Loading at start is now very quick
-New Main Menu UI (created by zero00)
-The main menu fades in after the game is done loading preferences, high score, and calibration
-High score (Best time) saving is enabled (not for each difficulty yet, but overall)
-Shooting bug, where the game freezes up for a short time after every time you shoot or the enemy shoots, is fixed
-Tutorial goes at a slower pace

Download 7 Beta 4 for Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%204%20Windows.a2w

Download 7 Beta 4 for Mac:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%204%20Mac.a2w

Nighthawk0973
08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Wow! You fixed pretty much everything the review mentioned. Great game design. That's a patch worthy of a new score... (the other score will stay there but we can have this score for the patch) Not a whole review however. That would be a nightmare. Downloading.....

zero00
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I made a few more changes to your game!
======List of Changes======
-Options Menu Changed (a lot!)
-Save Warning Changed
-Plane HUD Elements (speed, altitude, etc)
---------Font Changed to Arial Narrow
---------Fully Opaque (100% opacity)
---------Words are now white
-Throttle Changed to look more like a 2D HUD Element
-Individual Game Start Methods replaced with a Single Method
(If they don't work the way you wanted, I kept the originals :D
If they do work, you can delete the "Easy Start", "Normal Start", etc. methods)
-A little "4!" added to the Title :D
=========================

Download Here! (http://www.mediafire.com/file/uhqx5xwidx32wd7/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%204%20Windows%20Ze ro00.a2w)

Dj Tech42
08-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Everything looks really good with the UI update. However, your version is lagging for some reason on my computer. It freezes up every 2 seconds on the menu and every half second when in the game. Not sure why because the only method that was changed is the start of the game modes. It shouldn't affect the menu at all. :confused:

Nighthawk0973
08-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Probably zero adding a bit much to the game ;)

He tends to do that. Wow I'm definately goign to have to clean out my Alice Save Folder after this though, 40MB :O :p

Dj Tech42
08-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Sorry for the large size, haha. It think the textures and music take up a big chunk of it.

zero00
08-13-2011, 03:40 PM
:D Do you want me to make another version with lower-res textures?

Dj Tech42
08-13-2011, 08:18 PM
:D Do you want me to make another version with lower-res textures?

Sure, but the file size doesn't necessarily need to go down. The lag is the main problem (at least for me). In Beta 4 (before the UI changes), the mouse control makes the dogfight mode lag a little bit for me. The UI changed version lags and freezes up every second. I like the UI, but the freezing needs to be fixed before coming out with the actual 7.0 release. I hope we can fix this. :(

It may just be a problem for me. Did it lag at all on your computer? Hopefully, we can get some beta testers. :D

Nighthawk0973
08-13-2011, 08:22 PM
err... the game runs smoothly on my computer. Are you opening up your web browser at the same time as you are running alice? If so, don't do this, close all your programs and than run Alice. Works a whole lot better that way. ;)

Dj Tech42
08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
err... the game runs smoothly on my computer. Are you opening up your web browser at the same time as you are running alice? If so, don't do this, close all your programs and than run Alice. Works a whole lot better that way. ;)

Yeah, usually I have the web browser open at the same time. :o But, I have 8gb of ram (which I think is a lot) and a 64-bit version of Alice 2.2.

Nighthawk0973
08-14-2011, 02:23 PM
well close your browser anyways. I have the 32 bit windows version and I have less than 1Gig of ram and it ran perfectly.

Dj Tech42
08-14-2011, 05:33 PM
7.0 Beta 5! Last Beta!
-Pressing 7 will reset the calibration and pressing 8 will delete all the save files.
-Foundation of game recoded to fix lag issues
-Pressing N will go to other maps (Probably won't be a feature until 7.5)
-When HUD is hidden, the assists stop processing to help performance
-Sound effect when you crash into enemy plane

Can you guys tell me if the lag has been reduced in this version? This version really helps performance on my computer. If it made the lag worse, make sure you let me know so I can fix it for 7.0.

Sorry that I couldn't implement the new UI in this version. I will try to include it in 7.0, but I was having really bad lag issues with it.

Also, zero, can you make a billboard for the title without "beta" in it for the final version?

Download 7 Beta 5 For Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%205%20Windows.a2w

Download 7 Beta 5 for Mac:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Beta%205%20Mac.a2w

zero00
08-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Also, zero, can you make a billboard for the title without "beta" in it for the final version?
Ok. :D
Do you want me to just remove the word "Beta" or change the title to something like "Dj Tech42 Flight Simulator" for the final version?

Dj Tech42
08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Just Beta. :D

zero00
08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Ok :D

zero00
08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Can you guys tell me if the lag has been reduced in this version? This version really helps performance on my computer. If it made the lag worse, make sure you let me know so I can fix it for 7.0.

I don't really see a difference in the lag. It ran fine on my computer.
Also, my best time is 17 seconds! :D

Dj Tech42
08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't really see a difference in the lag. It ran fine on my computer.
Also, my best time is 17 seconds! :D

Awesome! Mine was 15 seconds (but I did make the game, so I guess that's unfair:D) Nice time!

zero00
08-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Here's the altered title screen texture (and the rest of UI textures)! Enjoy :p

Dj Tech42
08-14-2011, 06:55 PM
How did you replace the objects with the textures before? Do you have to add them manually and reassign the methods or is there a way of doing "replace object?" Just wondering how you did it so fast before. haha

zero00
08-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Added the billboards manually and reassigned them. I think I just work fast :p
I wish there was a replace object command though! :D

Dj Tech42
08-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Added the billboards manually and reassigned them. I think I just work fast :p
I wish there was a replace object command though! :D

Wow!

Well, thanks for all the textures! I will have to add a credits section to the game.

zero00
08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Well, thanks for all the textures! I will have to add a credits section to the game.
Not sure if I should make the credits. Knowing me, I'll probably make a billboard with a texture bigger than whole game :p

Nighthawk0973
08-14-2011, 10:38 PM
How does making the game have anything to do with how good your time was? If anything it would make you better right?

Dj Tech42
08-15-2011, 08:36 AM
How does making the game have anything to do with how good your time was? If anything it would make you better right?

Well, I've played it many times and I know how the game works because I created it, so I have an unfair advantage.

By the way, I imported some of the textures, but the transparency isn't working. It shows up as black, so there are black boxes around everything.

Nighthawk0973
08-15-2011, 11:27 AM
ah, now I see :D (about the unfair advantage) I was just looking at your smaller numbre thinking it's a smaller score.

Dj Tech42
08-15-2011, 02:23 PM
ah, now I see :D (about the unfair advantage) I was just looking at your smaller numbre thinking it's a smaller score.

Yeah, it's not the score, but the time it took you to shoot the other plane down. So the smaller the number, the better. :D

Dj Tech42
08-16-2011, 05:10 PM
7.0 is out of beta! Here is the official release of 7.0!

7.0 brings:
-Saving of preferences and mouse calibration
-Mouse control of plane (vs. keyboard in previous releases)
-Calibration of screen size for mouse control on first run (calibration is saved, so it only needs to be done once)
-Fixed shooting bug where game would freeze up temporarily
-New Menu UI
-Tutorial goes at a slower pace
-Your best time is saved, so you can try to beat your record each time.
-Foundation of game has been recoded to allow for better game performance
-Calibration and save files can be deleted within the world by pressing 7 for calibration and 8 for all save files
-New maps! (go to settings window to change map)
-When HUD is hidden (pressing 4 toggles HUD), the assists stop processing to improve game performance.

Download 7.0 for Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Windows.a2w

Download 7.0 for Mac:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.0%20Mac.a2w

zero00
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Good work!

New Record (Easy): 8 seconds! :D
Also, you should add a high score table and individual high scores for each difficulty.

Dj Tech42
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Good work!

New Record (Easy): 8 seconds! :D
Also, you should add a high score table and individual high scores for each difficulty.

That is coming in 7.5. :D

Dj Tech42
08-18-2011, 04:39 PM
7.5 Beta is here!
-Separate best times for each difficulty
-Clicking on "best times" on menu shows you all your best times for each difficulty. (Not a table yet, but it shows all your best times)
-Some new UI elements from zero00 integrated

To be fixed in final version:
-Moving certain menu objects so they don't overlap
-Make a table for best times

See how it works. If there any major bugs, please tell me. Not all of the UI elements are in yet because the transparency isn't importing correctly. Alice replaces the transparency with black.

Download 7.5 Beta for Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.5%20Beta%20Windows.a2w

Download 7.5 Beta for Mac:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.5%20Beta%20Mac.a2w

Mr Kidnapper
08-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Try adding an opacity map. Make what you want visible white, and what invisible to be black. Of course, grayscale makes it partially invisible. Diffuse maps were never meant to carry alpha.

zero00
08-20-2011, 01:01 AM
See how it works. If there any major bugs, please tell me. Not all of the UI elements are in yet because the transparency isn't importing correctly. Alice replaces the transparency with black.The UI looks fine to me. The transparency works fine as well.

The only times when this happened to me was when the computer I used had too little memory or the renderer was set to "JOGL".

Dj Tech42
08-20-2011, 01:44 PM
The UI looks fine to me. The transparency works fine as well.

The only times when this happened to me was when the computer I used had too little memory or the renderer was set to "JOGL".

That's why. I have it set to JOGL all the time because the only other renderer is Java3D, which doesn't even support isShowing (everything is always showing in Java3D). I don't have DirectX since I don't use Windows. Everything, except for the transparency, works in JOGL, so I will try Mr. Kidnapper's opacity map suggestion.

EDIT: It didn't work, unfortunately. I really thought it would, but it didn't for some strange reason.

Dj Tech42
08-23-2011, 08:01 PM
If anybody has had errors come up when they run 7.0, look at my first post. It explains how to change the path where the files are loaded and saved.

Dj Tech42
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
7.5 adds:
-Best time for each difficulty
-Best time window to see your all of your best times from the menu
-New UI elements

Download 7.5 for Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.5%20Windows.a2w

Download 7.5 for Mac:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%207.5%20Mac.a2w

Dj Tech42
08-27-2011, 06:29 PM
In 8.0, the game will save the files internally, so you don't have to worry about where you want to save the files!

In the meantime, we should post times!

My best time for normal is 9 seconds. :)

Dj Tech42
09-10-2011, 09:34 PM
8.0 Beta 1!
-Internal saving (no need to worry about file paths anymore)
-Support for Linux
-Holding 4 locks steering
-Holding 5 disables mouse control temporarily
-Pressing H will hide the HUD (was previously assigned to 4)

If you are testing this beta, make sure the internal saving is working correctly and warn me if the mouse control lags in this version. As usual, report any bugs you find.

Download 8.0 Beta 1 for Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%20Windows.a2w

Download 8.0 Beta 1 for Mac and Linux:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%20Mac%20and%20Linu x.a2w

zero00
09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I made some minor fixes to the game
-The Settings Windows was showing in the game, so it was blocking some of the buttons. I set it to Not Showing
-Updated the Title with "Dj Tech42 Flight Simulator 8.0 Beta"
-Set the throttle meter...thing (it looks this >----< ) emissive color to "No color". I didn't do the same for the rest of the HUD

Other than that, the game's looks amazing. I love the internal saving :D You'll need to show how me you did that!

Suggestions
Have you ever thought about adding:
-Having different profiles (different settings for different users)
-An arcade style high score board (3 letter initials and the like, similar to this (http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/gradius-v/screenshots/gameShotId,90760/))

Sorry, I haven't been on the forums as much! :D

Download the changed version here (http://www.mediafire.com/file/acd5s69xhczvz5v/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%20Windows.a2w)!

pendragon526
09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I tried the first version but i didnt like the handeling see if you can put there flight controls into your game.

I programed this for my 6th grade computer science final progect.

arty-fishL
09-11-2011, 03:26 PM
-The Settings Windows was showing in the game, so it was blocking some of the buttons. I set it to Not Showing
Oh, that's what was wrong.

This has improved awesomely since the first version you released, great http://www.alice.org/community/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Dj Tech42
09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh, that's what was wrong.

This has improved awesomely since the first version you released, great http://www.alice.org/community/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Glad you like it :D
I made some minor fixes to the game
-Updated the Title with "Dj Tech42 Flight Simulator 8.0 Beta"
-Set the throttle meter...thing (it looks this >----< ) emissive color to "No color". I didn't do the same for the rest of the HUD

Other than that, the game's looks amazing. I love the internal saving :D You'll need to show how me you did that!

Suggestions
Have you ever thought about adding:
-Having different profiles (different settings for different users)
-An arcade style high score board (3 letter initials and the like, similar to this (http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/gradius-v/screenshots/gameShotId,90760/))

Sorry, I haven't been on the forums as much! :D

Download the changed version here (http://www.mediafire.com/file/acd5s69xhczvz5v/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%20Windows.a2w)!

Thanks! The title looks awesome! I will see if I can set up the saving that way.

Dj Tech42
10-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Sorry for the long wait. I have been very busy with school.
8.0 Beta 2:

What's new:
-New UI
-UI is "snappy" and responds quickly
-Map Restore (Loads map from previous game)
-Smooth menu transitions
-New menu music
-Saving is tweaked to be more efficient
-Plane turning speed tweaked
-AI turning speed tweaked

Bugs in this beta:
AI might be buggy and the dogfight mode might be slower in this version. Please test dogfight mode, so I can fix it in the next beta.

Profiles will be coming either in the next beta or the final version.

Download 8.0 Beta 2 for Windows:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%202%20Windows.a2w

Download 8.0 Beta 2 for Mac and Linux:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210692/Flight%20Simulator%208.0%20Beta%202%20Mac%20and%20 Linux.a2w

zero00
10-30-2011, 04:03 PM
The game looks great :D
I have a few suggestions though:

-Can you add a screen that lists all of the buttons and controls?
-When the game switches to another map, can you make the transition a little smoother, or hide it behind a brief "fade to black"
-Can you disable the plane's controls during the title screen? If I keep increasing throttle during the title screen, I can start the game with full throttle.
-Where did the brushed metal backgrounds for the difficulty buttons come from?

By the way, I set a new record for easy mode: 4 seconds! :D

Dj Tech42
10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
-Where did the brushed metal backgrounds for the difficulty buttons come from?

I wanted to make the text into buttons so it wouldn't be so awkward to click on the difficulties. I can change the background if the brushed metal doesn't look right.

-Can you add a screen that lists all of the buttons and controls?

That's a really good idea. I will do that.

-When the game switches to another map, can you make the transition a little smoother, or hide it behind a brief "fade to black"
-Can you disable the plane's controls during the title screen? If I keep increasing throttle during the title screen, I can start the game with full throttle.

I might disable the controls on the title screen, but I'm just worried it will slow down gameplay if I have a bunch of if statements on all the events.
When the map changes, it does fade but really fast. I was afraid people would think that the game was loading too slowly if I made the fade too long. I will extend the fade a little bit, but not too much.

Thanks for your interest in my game. :D You have a lot of really good ideas and it really improves my game. Thanks!

Dj Tech42
01-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been testing some things out at school so far (like profiles and plane selection), but I will try to get a real update out soon.

RavenOfCode
01-22-2014, 11:12 AM
All i did when i click tutorial (after i did the whole change of IoText the let me play) it wouldn't let me click the 'Easy' button or anything but the tutorial, then all i did was spin around the world endlessly while some guy talked? idk why or what this is but whatever it is it dosnt make me want to play this game :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:some help? It looked fun but just wasnt working at all?

Dj Tech42
05-15-2014, 10:56 AM
All i did when i click tutorial (after i did the whole change of IoText the let me play) it wouldn't let me click the 'Easy' button or anything but the tutorial, then all i did was spin around the world endlessly while some guy talked? idk why or what this is but whatever it is it dosnt make me want to play this game :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:some help? It looked fun but just wasnt working at all?

I don't know. I haven't been on these forums for 2 years, so I haven't tested the game with the new versions of Alice. There might be some incompatibility problems. The tutorial should let you fly after 10 seconds while the captions tell you how to play.

Why did you just repeat what somebody else said in this thread? :confused: