PDA

View Full Version : Sky Warrior - Gradius Style!

zero00
07-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Update: Sky Warrior Returns is on post 14!
Update: Sky Warrior 2 Beta on this post!
Update: Sky Warrior Multiplayer Test on this post!

I decided to take what i learned from my "Tenkan" project (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6850) and apply it to Sky Warrior. The results were phenomenal! :D

1. Now, you can have up to 5 bullets on screen at once! That's 5x as many bullets as before!

2. Not only that, but I made the bullet shooting object independent of the ship! That means I can not only put the bullet object in different worlds, but also put multiple copies of them in the world! (and with great ease) :D I can now place them around the player's ship Gradius-style!

Here it is! Tell me what you think!

sfunk
07-02-2011, 12:53 AM
sounds like a real interesting concept, i'll check it out once I get done uploading my newest tutorial

jediaction
07-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Now that is cool! This could be a very very good game. Make something out of this. I am ready to review. Your concept is already a hit!

zero00
07-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Already thinking of ideas! :D
I also did an experiment in moving backgrounds, so the camera might be able to fly around! (maybe)

jediaction
07-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Looking forward to it.

legolizard
07-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Cool it is like a "shotgun" effect.

zero00
07-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I decided I'm going to release the "Bullet Shooting Object" and the bullets it uses.

To setup up the Bullet Shooting Object:

0. Place a dummy where the camera is. Name it "center" (without quotes).
1. Import Bullet Shooter.a2c into your Alice world
2. Press yes to the popup on the screen that sets certain variables to none.
3. Import the Pbullet object (You can also replace these with whatever bullets you want!) and make 4 more copies of it.
4. Set the tracer_objects 1 - 5 variables to their respective bullets
5. Put the Bullet Shooter into an "When World Starts" event.

That's all! (I think...) Enjoy! :D

Note: The bullets disappear and return when they hit the left or right edge of the screen. Set left and rightedge_distance variables to what you feel i appropriate.

jediaction
07-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I will review tommorow. Watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon

zero00
07-04-2011, 05:51 AM
I really wanted to release what I have made of the new Sky Warrior game! The Gradius-style options aren't in the game yet (because there's no need for them now).

Project: Gradius-Like v9.0

======Controls======
Arrow Keys.............Move the Fighter
Hold Space.............Shoot
Enter.....................Flip

Press zero once to begin the game.
==================

Notes:
1. The game has some the code for some of Core Force's other (currently) unused attacks. I think this is would be a spoiler warning.
2. This is a very rough game. There are many more improvements and such to be made. I just wanted to show what I have done some far.
3. I have not play-tested this attack sequence with other people yet. I don't quite know if this hard or easy. Its based on one of Core Force's previous attack sequence, so I consider it "easy-normal" difficulty.

Here it is! Enjoy! :D

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to think of ways of recreating Tetran (http://gradius.wikia.com/wiki/Tetran). Here's a video of it in action. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF1hdyAf8m0#t=46s)

jediaction
07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
You work fast. But I don't get the game. Keep it going.

zero00
07-04-2011, 12:54 PM
What do you mean?

zero00
07-05-2011, 06:39 AM
The game is working great! There's just a few more things I need to polish up, now! I have also created two title screens for the game, which I will (probably) make the game switch between when it starts running. Here they are: (Personally, I prefer the bottom one :D)

On an unrelated note, the Tetran experiment didn't work that well. Turns out having 4 whip objects (one of which has about 21 subparts) all moving at the same time caused some lag in the game. I still have hope for it yet! :D

jediaction
07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
It did not do that for me. I will try it again today, plus a video review if it is good.

zero00
07-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I have finished the game! It's now ready to be released! Here it is!

Sky Warrior Returns

=======Controls=======
Arrows Keys.............Move
Hold Space..............Shoot
Enter......................Flip
====================

-Three different and challenging difficulty modes!, just like my other games. Try them all!

-Three different shoot styles!
-Laser-assisted: Automatic Firing and adds a laser sight to your fighter!
-Automatic: Fast Firing and High Fire Rate!
-Classic: For those who've played the first Sky Warrior game, the gun is semi-automatic. Tap the Space bar to Shoot!

-Great Music and Sounds!

Can YOU Defeat the Core? (http://www.mediafire.com/file/pgrb8881c75ctvn/gradius-like15.a2w)

legolizard
07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
I thought it was pretty hard, or maybe I just stink at your game, either way it was awesome.:D:):D

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
This sounds way cool.

Is there any possibility of you uploading to somewhere other than MediaFire? It has given me bad experiences in the past...

zero00
07-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Where do you think I should upload this game to, Densetsu?

@legolizard: Don't worry, I intended for the game to be challenging! Thank you for the compliment! :D

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Where do you think I should upload this game to, Densetsu?

@legolizard: Don't worry, I intended for the game to be challenging! Thank you for the compliment! :D

MediaFire.com: Had problems with it in the past
Wikisend.com: I think they take files down after a while, but I'm not sure.
Other things are probably out there but I don't know what.

zero00
07-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Did you try downloading it from the link anyway? Maybe you won't have any problems with mediafire this time! :D
(BTW I'm thinking of making another Sky Warrior game like this, but with Revolver Force in it!)

ElectricKirby
07-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Needs enemies.

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Strange, this time it didn't assault me with pop-ups and misleading adverts like it did before. :D

zero00
07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
@ElectricKirby I'm thinking of adding enemies to the next game! :D (possibly...)

@Densetsu :D

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-06-2011, 08:52 PM
WHOA M G!!!!!!! That's awesome! Makes me think of Kirby final bosses...

Enemies or more levels would be great. Has jediaction reviewed this yet?

zero00
07-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks! :D
I'm trying to release these games in an "episodic style". The games are short, but fun, complex, and challenging. It also easier for me to make these games, so I can add more content to them as well!

For instance, in Sky Warrior, there were 3 bosses, but their attacks (in my Opinion) were very simple. In Sky Warrior Returns, there's only one boss, but Core Force has many different and complex attack patterns! :D

Also, the next "episode" will definitely feature Revolver Force, but the battle with it will a little (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Understatement) different than last time. ;)

zero00
07-06-2011, 11:29 PM
I felt kind of bad about that fact that the Gradius-style Option wasn't shown in Sky Warrior Returns. :( (It's still there, but some minor changes to the code is needed to reveal the Option)
So to make up for this, a Gradius-style power meter (and possibly a mini-boss) may appear in the next game. Here's a concept picture!

(For those who are interested being able to use the option, follow these steps:
1. Scroll to the bottom of the objects list and set the following objects Showing
(Option, optioncontainer, optioncontainer2, and hunter_tracer)
2. Set bullet Shooter2's "disable_shoot" value to true -or- disable the line of code in the world Setup method that sets that variable to true.)

sfunk
07-07-2011, 12:10 AM
you know, you could always use arty's world loader tool, so you could cut down the amount of storage each games take, making it so you could focus a little more on each part making it more advance, then have it load up the next part(having so you can have the full game, but less lag and more intense game play)

Fritz
07-07-2011, 12:59 AM
If you want to upload, try using upload.ee, fast and they never take the files down. It's what I use anyway.

Game seems ok.

zero00
07-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Is it me or is this a wall of text below? :p

Progress on the next game is going well. Revolver Force is working great (though I haven't set up all of the collision stuff yet :p). It's ready for all sorts of attacks now!
-The Gradius-Style Power Meter is working and fully-functional! The actual power ups it grants don't do much right now though, but it works amazingly! :p
-Revolver Force has gained an actual shotgun-like spread attack!
-This one will take place in space as shown in the concept art!
-The Option can also be aimed (like Gradius V)

I am actually overwhelmed with the number of ideas I could implement in this game! :D If there is a feature or enemy or something you would like to see in the game, please comment!

@sfunk I thought about trying to link the worlds together (I had heard about the world loader before, but hadn't read much about it, though), but I couldn't for a number of reasons :( One of the reasons being that this game and Sky Warrior Returns have some big gameplay differences. It would be kind of jarring to play them as if they're one game.

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-07-2011, 04:48 PM
why did i make this lol
try on normal difficulty

http://www.upload.ee/files/1476680/modified_gradius.a2w.html

zero00
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I did not expect that! :D
You're right! It does look similar to Kirby!

... Why do I feel the need to add a Kirby reference to the next game :p

zero00
07-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Just like Sky Warrior Returns, I'm releasing the progress I have done on this game.

====Controls========
Arrow Keys.......Move
Space..............Shoot
Enter...............Flip
Press 3...........Select Highlighted Power-Up

Test Controls
Aim the Option: Click on screen to disable movement. Use Left and Right Arrows to aim your Option (if enabled). Click Screen again to enable movement.

Revolver Force: Hold Q for Bullet Shooting. Press 1 for Spread Shot. Disable its LockonPlayer and press 0 for Classic Shoot!

Press 2 to blow yourself up.
===================

I'm having way too much fun with this game... engine... thing... so I'm releasing this engine.
Enjoy!

jediaction
07-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Review!!!

Feedback...

Pros:

Complete Sounds
Full Animations
Impressive gameplay and Music
Addicting
Options

Cons:

Hand gets tired of pressing after a while
The boss uses the same attacks over and over

Overall

98/100 by Chrome Games - VIDEO REVIEWD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlMN_GjcytU)

This game was jaw dropping. Literally, my jaw was dropped the whole game. I was impressed with the menu then when the game started and it even changes!!!!!!!!!!!! The Graphics were to good for Alice. This is as good as Resident Penguin. If you use Artys World Loader tool so after your done with Stage 1 it goes to Stage 2, this game would be even a better score. My hand got a little tired after 5 minutse of shooting but the amazing gameplay kept me excited. I don't want to say anything is wrong with this game because this is one of the most impressive Alice games I have ever seen(even though I think Madden has the best looking games). Full working options to! This is just to amazing! This is one of the best looking games or the best looking game of today! Stage 2 will definatly be something to look forward to because you did such a good job with this one. THe walls got a little annoying because they just kept coming over and over again with no variation. The music and sounds were on key and perfectly placed and that gave this game so much atmosphere to it. The game definatly deserves the score and you should be proud about this. GOOD JOB!

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-07-2011, 06:33 PM
:eek:

:eek:

Now how to put a starship into Alice Fighters...not to mention doing it justice...

arty-fishL
07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner,but here I am.
Very good http://www.alice.org/community/images/icons/icon14.gif! As Jedi said in his video review, looks professional, as if it came directly from a Japanese games company. I liked everything about it.
I will say though, that it lacked in options compared to sky warrior and I found it a lot less challenging.

zero00
07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm having a bit of issue with the game's design now. I don't think using the Gradius-style Selection Bar will help the game as well I previously thought. It just makes things for complicated, both for me and the players.

So my question is, do you think I should keep the Option (The Floating Gun-pod thing) in the game? If so, how can I give it to the player?

legolizard
07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
How about as a reward for beating a hard boss or something. You could use Arty-fishl's "io tool."

jediaction
07-08-2011, 04:04 PM
How about as a reward for beating a hard boss or something. You could use Arty-fishl's "io tool."

I mention it in my review. I think

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
I decided to change my edited version a bit...

http://www.upload.ee/files/1479029/Kirbius.a2w.html

zero00
07-08-2011, 11:31 PM
I have some good news and bad news.

Bad News: I've decided to remove the Option and Power Meter. It didn't fit the Sky Warrior gameplay and just simply made things far more complicated than they should have been.

Good News: A brand new boss is being created! Its "code-name" is "Juggler"! :p There is even a possibility of having 3 bosses in the next game! :D!
I'm also rebuilding the game, utilizing what I have learned from making the last game.

jediaction
07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I am ready. How was the video?

zero00
07-10-2011, 12:04 AM
The video review? It was great! I'm also glad you enjoyed the game! :D

(On an unrelated note: When and how did I become a senior member? :eek:)

room14
07-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Post 50 posts.
welcome to the club dude.

zero00
07-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Here's a picture of the "Juggler". Tell me what you think of it! :D

jediaction
07-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Hmm...How often do those beams move. It looks cool.

zero00
07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
At the moment, mostly in circles. It can also use them to trap the player. The Juggler's core also shoots bullets.

arty-fishL
07-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Here's a picture of the "Juggler". Tell me what you think of it! :DCool, looks tricky. Did you come up with it completely yourself? What was your inspiration?

zero00
07-10-2011, 03:32 PM
This. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-cP9KmzIVc#t=2m30s) Also, this (http://gradius.wikia.com/wiki/Laser_Tetran) (unconsciously).

jediaction
07-10-2011, 03:44 PM
At the moment, mostly in circles. It can also use them to trap the player. The Juggler's core also shoots bullets.

Make sure you can't go through the boss. Because in your first stage, you could. Make it shooter slower and less often. It was annoying.

zero00
07-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Its starting to get kind of frustrating to get one of the bosses attacks to work.

(If you want to help me playtest this game, download the file below. To change the Juggler Attack Pattern, change its "difficulty" variable to 1, 2, or 3. Play the game as many times as can and record any errors or bugs you encounter. For example: floating lasers or misplaced explosions)

Here is the game at the moment. (http://www.mediafire.com/file/vn35qo4isks07yo/gradius-like-part2-try9.a2w)

ElectricKirby
07-12-2011, 03:35 AM
The biggest thing here is that I'm unable to die. I can reach 0 and still get hit. And not die.

zero00
07-12-2011, 05:43 AM
I know. I forgot to mention that I haven't set up the death animations yet. :p
Too busy trying to get the enemies to attack and die correctly!

zero00
07-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I've fixed the attacks! Just had to step away from the game for a while.

During that time, I finally beat Gradius V (on very easy). I thought to myself, "Is my game really that difficult?" I then thought, "Nah. My game's not that hard!" :p I promptly came up with more ideas to make the game harder.

Anyway, I'm working on Revolver Force now. It seems to be easier to program for than the Juggler! :D

zero00
07-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I wanted to keep this as a surprise, but I've decided to say it anyway. I've decided to bring Urchin Force back. I don't think that was a surprise to some of you, though...
Anyway, I don't want any of the bosses to work exactly the same way they did in the first Sky Warrior game, so I'm giving Urchin Force some new tricks... ;)
Remember before when I said my "Tetran" experiment had failed before...
Well, I tried it again, it works perfectly now! :D

"Tetran" was the first experiment. The arms caused too much lag and the experiment failed.
"Urchin_force_tetra" is the successful experiment. Watch it through to the end! The arms can fold back inside of Urchin Force.

There's a very good chance I'll give Urchin Force 4 arms (if it works). Also, the arms will probably shoot lasers.

jediaction
07-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Wow, very cool. That looks very fluid in movements. It will be as good as your first one. Man, I only dream about making ropes, but your actually making fluid angles. Btw, the robotic sounds in the music sounds like Portal 2 soundtrack.

zero00
07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Just now, I upgraded the Bullet Shooter object from having 8 bullets on screen to 20.
It can literally shoot waves of bullets. :D
I can make it go higher than that BTW...

jediaction
07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
That should be a power up. I think it seems a little bit weird. I don't know why, but it just doesn't fit your ship.

Btw...

zero00
07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
It's not for the player...

Also, that number was just there for me to see if the Bullet Collision Detections were working. It works! :p

BTW Just noticed this is my 100th post! :D

zero00
07-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Urchin Force is being added to the game! :D It definitely has some new tricks and attacks this time. These may include:
(Don't read if you want the attacks to be a surprise! :D)
-A Gravity Field which will draw you towards it. It may or may not bend the path of your bullets.
-The Tetran Arms (2 or 4 of them). They will move independently.
-Projectile Attacks. Lots of them.

Also, it has a core. You have to shoot it in the center, as opposed to the other versions of Urchin Force where you could shoot it anywhere.

Here's a slightly "photoshopped" picture! :D

zero00
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Quick Update: I removed the "Destroy The Core" thing with Urchin Force. As it turns out, the core is hard to hit. Even Seeker Force couldn't hit Urchin Force enough to be effective! :eek: Not only that, but Urchin Force still has obscenely high amounts of health.

So as it turns out...
High Health + Difficult to Hit + Difficult to Predict Attacks = Not Fun :mad:

So, I removed one of those. :p You can now shoot its body to deal damage.
The core is still there though and it looks awesome! :D

BTW I don't know if said this yet, but I've added 2 new weapons, Seeker Force and Sword Force.

Seeker Force
+ Automatically aims at the current boss, regardless of your orientation
- -25% damage

Sword Force (may be called Dagger Force in the future, but not likely)
+ Extremely High Damage and Rate of Fire
- Range is extremely Short

ElectricKirby
07-20-2011, 04:39 PM
You could have it so you can shoot the body until it breaks apart, and then you have to destroy the core.

NEW IDEA THAT I CAME UP WITH WHILE TYPING MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT:

When you destroy Urchin Force, you could have it break apart and have Core Force come out of the destroyed Urchin Force.

zero00
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
That's a great idea, but I already programmed the Juggler to do that. Not really sure about doing that twice... :(
Then again... :rolleyes:

As for making Core Force come out of Urchin Force's remains, that's also a really good idea, but then one would ask "Why doesn't Urchin Force also use Core Force's attacks in addition to its own?"
Then again... :rolleyes:

Actually, these are great ideas! I'll keep them in mind! :D

zero00
07-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I've got some bad and some good news (mostly good, though)

Bad News
-I'm removing Urchin Force's Arms. They were too frustrating to get to get them to reanimate properly. I'll probably try making them work again though...

Good News
+Everything else about Urchin Force appears to be working fine. It can bounce around the screen, teleport, change size, and hurt you! It also still has its obscenely high amount of health! :D
+It also shoot bullets using the new upgraded Bullet Shooter (up to 20 bullets on screen) :D
+There is a possibility it could also use lasers. The long energy beam kind. :D

Good News (regarding the game)
+If someone in the Alice Community knows how to use the Alice's scripting feature or Arty's Scripting Tool and agrees to help me, there is a possibility for high score tables and the ability to save your progress to appear in the game.
+ A variety of weapon types are available. They are:
-Normal Shot
-Max Power
-Seeker Force
-Sword Force

zero00
07-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Remember that Gravity Field I mentioned so time ago? I said that it may or may not bend your bullets away from it. Now it can! I think it looks pretty good!

Here is my Bullet Bending Experiment!

DensetsuNoKaboom
07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Don't you just love being able to edit Alice worlds?

http://www.upload.ee/files/1533009/Kirbius.a2w.html

zero00
07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
ElectricKirby had sent me a PM once, regarding a game called "Mushihime-sama". It looks like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ)

Well, through a little happy accident, I think I created a similar effect (though not nearly as extreme as in that video :D I don't intend to make it that extreme either.)

Every bullet you see in the picture is going in a different direction, and can also speed up unexpectedly (though, I probably won't make it do that)

@Densetsu Now, I think I need to add a Kirby Easter Egg in the game, somehow! :D

arty-fishL
07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
That bullet bending thing and that bullet spraying thing are so so good. I must say - this is looking so professional and
super-BRILLIANT

zero00
07-30-2011, 05:15 AM
After reading Nighthawk's review of Sky Warrior, I had decided to try adding more stages to the game. After looking at a Japanese game, I was inspired to make this!

Before you play the Alice World, play this music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhlwtv-P48) while running it! (The music is a remix of a song called "Burn the Wind" in the game, Salamander)

Edit: Just had a thought. This stage could also be used a nice menu screen!

zero00
08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I have created two title screens for the game.

Normally, I wait until the gameplay is completed before making the game "look pretty", but I wanted to share these. I personally prefer the second one! :D

BTW, Revolver Force is finished, and Urchin Force is mostly done (it just needs its attack patterns set up)!

jediaction
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Sweet. I'm ready for a review!

zero00
08-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Revolver Force and Urchin Force's attacks are complete! :D
All that's left to complete is the Juggler's Attacks! After that, I can polish up the game and add interesting features.

If anyone has any ideas for attacks that the Juggler could use, please post them in this thread or PM me! :D

Juggler Force is shown in the pictures below.
Ignore the fact that the player health is 1000-something in the pictures

Its attacks are currently...

Lasers (shown below, the lasers can also turned in any direction)
Firing Bullets (also shown in the 2nd and 3rd picture, they will be replaced with better looking bullets :D)
Ramming the Player (it is briefly invincible when it does this attack)

ElectricKirby
08-02-2011, 06:10 AM
How about Juggler can launch some kind of explosive drone that follows the player around the screen, stops, then explodes, like a Bob-Omb?

zero00
08-02-2011, 06:13 AM
That sounds like a great idea! :D It also reminded me of this boss's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh4Ea7B7X6A#t=16s) attack!

zero00
08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
As I've made my Alice games bigger, I've noticed that Alice has a strange problem. It appears to have some kind of memory leak. It has caused many problems for me before. It's one of the reasons the Tenkan experiment failed. And now, it's interfering with this game, too!

Because of this, I may have to cut some things from the game. The Juggler will likely be removed as its attacks are not set up yet.

The picture below shows how much memory Alice is using, trying to run this world, after all of the bosses have been defeated. The picture says the game is using 850,000 K of Memory. (I left Alice on as I typed this post. The number somehow grew to 933,052 K even though it's not doing anything)

legolizard
08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Are you using Windows 7 or XP?

zero00
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Windows 7 64-bit
6 GB RAM
i7-Q720 Processor

legolizard
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice well what works for me is to

A) Close Alice every once and a while after some heavy coding.

B)Run Alice in compatibility mode, oddly Alice runs smoother on XP.

zero00
08-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I've already done option 1 to program the game. It crashed when I rebooted Alice and fought the bosses up the 3rd boss where it crashed before I could defeat it.

I've tried option 2 recently and it may work if I do that.

legolizard
08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I have never tried this with Alice before but you could also set Alice as a higher priority in the Task Manager.

zero00
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I have made a copy of the game with the Juggler removed. The game runs smoother and doesn't crash while running! :D The game itself is effectively done now. It just needs to be polished up to look nice and presentable.

I have also decided on a name for this game. The world included in this post will tell you. Download the world below, stretch it across the screen if you want, and enjoy. I think it's pretty awesome.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Cool intro. I also love how easy it is for me to mess with the letters.

zero00
08-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I never would have thought of that! :D lol

zero00
08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Some good news!

Ridiculous Mode
When I removed the Juggler, I wondered if I have both bosses appear at the same time. Turns out I can! :D
Ridiculous mode will be returning! It's a little different this time, because your bullets don't go through multiple enemies like they did in Sky Warrior.

Training Area
I'm planning on making an area for beginners who haven't played the game before. In this area is a small drone that floats around the room. It won't shoot back and it will harmlessly phase through the player if they collide.

Edit:
Movement Styles
I've also been experimenting with different ways to play the game.
Edit: These may or may not appear in the final game

Default Style
Arrow Keys = Move
Space = Fire
Enter = Flip
WASD Style
WASD = Move
Enter = Fire
Space = Flip
FPS Style
WASD = Move
Mouse = Fire
Space = Flip

zero00
08-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Not only can I have both bosses on screen at the same time, I can let the player fight them again without restarting the world!

I'll also looking into adding loops in the game. If you defeat all of the bosses, the game will restart and the bosses will come back stronger (with new attacks, most likely) (Like ridiculous mode, the loops are independent of the game's difficulty)

zero00
08-07-2011, 04:08 AM
The "encountered an assailant" introductions are back! Here's a picture of it and me being shot at by Revolver Force! :p

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Not only can I have both bosses on screen at the same time, I can let the player fight them again without restarting the world!

I'll also looking into adding loops in the game. If you defeat all of the bosses, the game will restart and the bosses will come back stronger (with new attacks, most likely) (Like ridiculous mode, the loops are independent of the game's difficulty)

Awesome!!

zero00
08-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I have a created a sort of promotional shot of the game.
Gigantic Picture incoming! Here it is!
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/a800684077ef9b7cff0e0d04becc9634c5e4f1e5346f30a13f c4be1b2a755cda6g.jpg

Also, the game is nearly finished.

ElectricKirby
08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I have a created a sort of promotional shot of the game.
Gigantic Picture incoming! Here it is!
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/a800684077ef9b7cff0e0d04becc9634c5e4f1e5346f30a13f c4be1b2a755cda6g.jpg

Also, the game is nearly finished.

This poster made me think... You should be able to unlock multiple ships. And even Easter eggs, like having a Star Wars ship in there or something.

zero00
08-07-2011, 11:31 AM
This poster made me think... You should be able to unlock multiple ships. And even Easter eggs, like having a Star Wars ship in there or something.
I thought about that once, but I don't know where to find a good ship object. Do you know where I could find one?

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately I don't know where to find good ship objects, but this could be where your Kirby easter egg comes in!

zero00
08-07-2011, 02:54 PM
The "out-of memory" error struck again! :(
Now I have to cut something else. It seems the new menus I added caused it, so I need to think of a new approach to this...

Nighthawk0973
08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Gonna review this. I'm assuming that post #14 was Sky Warrior Returns right?

zero00
08-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes. That's the one. :D
(I think I'll put a link to it on the first post)

Nighthawk0973
08-07-2011, 06:00 PM
yea you should definately start putting the download link under the share worlds page on the first post. Exactly where it goes :D

Anyways beat it on easy and suprisingly, I beat it on hard too. With 5 lives however. So it's review time:

------------------

Snowfire Games Presents...

Sky Warrior Returns: The Review

------------------

As it's title states, sky warrior returns is the sequel to the game, sky warrior. Sky Warrior is probably one of the best games on the alice community because it's so well done. There was nothing that the developers tried to make that wasn't avaliable to be done in alice. However sky warrior returns lacks something that sky warrior didn't. It's either that there wasn't enough of what made sky warrior so good, or it's just the fact that I have the Nyan Cat background stuck in my head. I'm assuming it's the first reason but this review will say it all.

------------------

Presentation
------------
As always, the presentation is amazing. The cutscenes are beautiful, and even though the explosion used looks like it just came out of an indiana jones movie, in the game it blends right in. The GUI buttons are great and you get a different main menu screen each time you play. (well theres acually only two but who cares) To top it off you acually use your mouse to click these buttons, not the traditional arrow keys and ship. Screen transitions are excellent too. With all of this, the presentation aspect is probably the games greatest.
--------

Audio/Video
-----------
Skywarriors graphics continue to give a unique feel compared to other alice games. However it's still the same visaul style as the other sky warrior game, you can't change that like you oculd in the previous game either. Just watch the same thing over and over again. That's not to say this is a bad thing. The animation is still good, it's sad that we're not seeing something new here. Also I noticed some of the special effects where missing from the first game. (such as the water effect on your ship) The sound however is just as good as the last game. There might be some repetition but who cares. The sound effects are stunning and the music still sounds beautiful, without getting old, unlike other songs I've heard of.... (*cough* Nyan Cat, awesome, but a bit obnoxious after a minute)

Gameplay
---------
The gameplay is the same skywarrior that you know and love. This is definately not something bad. More of the same game is what you'd expect from a sequel, and that's exactly what you get here. The gameplay formula is all the same and there's even a new feature you get to try out if you bump the difficulty which allows you to press enter and swap around your characters positions, allowing you to shoot backwards. This feature definately looks cool, but it makes the games harder difficulty levels easier. I could not beat the normal mode in sky warrior. I could beat the hard mode in this though.

Replay Value
------------
The replay value also dissapoints me. Acually this probably disapoints me the most out of all of the categories. While the game is still tough, fans of the last game will notice a few key things right off of the bat. First off there's only one boss fight. I find this very dissapointing. Given the scope of sky warrior and it's 3 bosses, the fact that there's only one boss in this game is really sad. Also the customization options have been trimmed down. There's the option to change difficulty, fire type, and lives. that's it. Sure, you can still edit things to meet your perfect difficulty level, there's not as much combinations as there was before.
---------------------------------

The Verdict
-----------

The fact is, Sky Warrior Returns just can't live up to it's predecessor. For some reason or another, sky warrior lost of a lot of features that it didn't ahve before. And for that reason, it's score falls even lower than it would've. Whereas sky warrior had so much fresh and new content, sky warrior returns just takes away from this. Sky Warrior Returns might've done better if it was released as an indivisual package. But since this has less content the the first, it deserves less praise.
---------------------------
Presentation - 9.5
It's nearly perfect, but makes me wonder where the credits went.
Audio/Video - 7.5
The Visuals are nothing new from the first game, which suffered from lack of environments. This time however there isn't even the option to change the background. However the music and sound effects are as brilliant as always
Gameplay - 9.0
Nothings really that new. It's the still the same gameplay we know and love but everything good that we thought we wanted was merely making the difficult overly easy
Replay Value - 6.5
There's only one boss, which is really easy compared to the other sky warrior since I've pretty much beat the boss used. Another problem with the game is the fact that the difficulty customization options have been toned down, and that's really dissapointing.

Sky Warrior Returns - Final Score - 8.0(Great)

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm assuming you are reviewing the battle with Zer-i mean Core Force, right?

ElectricKirby
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, you can use the DropShip and Fighter objects in the Gallery, but I also have an Arwing somewhere... It was a coding Easter egg in LoZ: OoT

zero00
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I've decided to release a beta version of the game!

You can download it here (http://www.mediafire.com/file/d633f9i5s52ae2k/gradius-like-part2-try50CC.a2w)!

Almost forgot:
Short Game = All of the Bosses on that difficulty
Normal Game = All of the Bosses and their Loop 2 variants on that difficulty
Long Game = All of the Bosses and their Loop 2 variants from the difficulty you chose all the way to the hardest difficulty.

(Sad Note: I'll be honest. The game is not as amazing as I had wanted. Alice's memory problem has caused some issues with the game, requiring me to cut many things from the game(as I have mentioned in previous posts) that I didn't want to cut. If I add much else to the game, I'm afraid it may be too much for Alice to handle. In fact, I'm not really sure if it work on your computers... :( Perhaps I was just too ambitious here...)

Nighthawk0973
08-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Still, the other sky warrior ran just fine, without a moment of lag. How come this one has less content and some lag?

zero00
08-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Sky Warrior, though it has three bosses, their attack patterns were not as complex and they used less resources (and much less bullets), such as Revolver Force using only one bullet and Urchin Force not shooting anything.

Sky Warrior Returns only had one boss with complex attacks and would, of course, use less memory than three complex bosses.

Sky Warrior 2 uses a huge amount of resources. The player can shoot 8 bullets, Revolver also uses 8 (all them are spheres with a separate glow effects to them) and Urchin Force, 20. Menus (at least before this beta) were apparently really high-res.

That's my theory.
If I make another game, I'll have to make it far less complex and resource-intensive than this one.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-08-2011, 11:29 AM
That was the best Alice game I've played in a long time.

zero00
08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
This is what Sky Warrior 2 looked like before I had to make more cuts to it.

Download it here (http://www.mediafire.com/file/4mqbg51agzbpdgz/gradius-like-part2-try49C.a2w)

There's no music in this version, but the presentation is much better in my opinion.

=====Differences==========
The training mode button doesn't work

I think the game might go on for forever, assuming the version doesn't have the mission complete code. Not sure.

Other things I can't remember...
========================

BTW This is the thread's 100th post! :D

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
This is what Sky Warrior 2 looked like before I had to make more cuts to it.

Download it here (http://www.mediafire.com/file/4mqbg51agzbpdgz/gradius-like-part2-try49C.a2w)

There's no music in this version, but the presentation is much better in my opinion.

=====Differences==========
The training mode button doesn't work

I think the game might go on for forever, assuming the version doesn't have the mission complete code. Not sure.

Other things I can't remember...
========================

BTW This is the thread's 100th post! :D

That was awesome!! By the way, there is Mission Complete code, and it works. But for some reason I could only use the Sword Force attack.

zero00
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
That was awesome!! By the way, there is Mission Complete code, and it works. But for some reason I could only use the Sword Force attack.

I forgot :p
Go into the World Method "ChangePlayerWeapon" (or something like that)
Enable the Weapon you want and disable all of the others. Not sure if Seeker Force will change targets though.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Frankly Sword Force is my favorite weapon anyways.

zero00
08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks! It's my favorite, too! :D

BTW I've been thinking of making another game where you fight a clone of your ship.

jediaction
08-08-2011, 05:41 PM
When does it officially come out?

zero00
08-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm not really sure if I want to continue this game... :(
It's gotten too big. If I add more to the game, it will likely take up to much memory again and then I would have to cut more things.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm not really sure if I want to continue this game... :(
It's gotten too big. If I add more to the game, it will likely take up to much memory again and then I would have to cut more things.

If it says "out of memory", try closing then reopening Alice.

zero00
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
What I mean by this is that it takes up too much memory and can crash while the world is running

Nighthawk0973
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Well than split it into 2 different .a2ws! :D Or more if you have too...

zero00
08-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Well than split it into 2 different .a2ws! :D Or more if you have too...

I don't want to do that. The game wouldn't be as fun as I would like it to be.

zero00
08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Before I work on a new game, I need to re-examine Sky Warrior (the first one) (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=34388#post34388).

Asking questions like "Why was Sky Warrior fun?" and "What could make Sky Warrior better?"
If you want to, please tell me your opinion on the Sky Warrior games or how you think they can be improved.

Your opinion could help the Sky Warrior games become even better! :D

Nighthawk0973
08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
He asks my opinion... we'll here goes!

------------

Snowfire Games Presents....

Sky Warrior II....

The Review....

---------------

The original Sky Warrior is with out a doubt, my favorite game on the Alice forums. And with good reason. Sky Warrior combines some great graphics and animations, an amazing soundtrack, outstanding gameplay, and a whole ton of difficulty tweaking, into one game, all wrapped up in a wonderful interface. Sky Warrior II brings us back more of what Sky Warrior did right, fixed what Sky Warrior did wrong, and adds some more weapons to Sky Warriors arsenal. But is this enough to make up for the damage Sky Warrior Returns gave to the Sky Warrior series? Find out in this review...

----------------------------------------------

Presentation
------------
Sky Warrior had it's presentation issues, but Sky Warrior II has none. Since Sky Warriors an arcade-style shooter, you won't have to worry about Story. You don't need it. The cutscenes are great but I'm mostly impressed by the GUI and HUD. The HUD looks awesome and when Sky Warrior moves up to the HUD it becomes transparent which might not matter too much, but just looks cool and gives a higher polish to the game. The GUIs, this time mouse based, (just like Sky Warrior Returns) look perfect and the transitions between GUIs are amazing.
--------------------------

Audio/Video
------------
The Graphics are just as good as they we're in other sky warrior games. Everything from models, 2D images, and animations. There's also a new background environment this time around. The only gripe I have about this is that there is still only one environment. I guess I've pretty much gotten over this fact however, and since this background is a lot better than the default background that has been in all the Sky Warrior games. The same goes for the sound. The music is beautiful as always, and the sound effects really give the feel of playing an old sci-fi arcade adventure. I heard no lag with the sound at all, another perfection Sky Warrior II has acheived.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Gameplay
---------
The gameplay is the same great Sky Warrior gameplay you know and love. You fight a series of challenging boss fights and then go into the options menu and make these boss fights tougher. The bosses are even tougher than before so I recommend playing Sky Warrior one if you don't want to much trouble beating the bosses since it will give you more experience towards beating Sky Warrior II. But if you havn't played the original this is going to be quite the challenge, just beating it on easy mode with 3 lives only. Anyways Sky Warrior II only has 2 bosses but they have more skills that they do. There's also longer game lengths which (since the bosses appear more than once) add more abilities to the bosses. The only flaw I see in the gameplay is the fact that you will notice about 5-6 frame rate stutters on each boss. These are minor and you won't get into a stage where the same thing will play over and over again until the game unfreezes and continues, but these frame rate stutters will probably end up in your getting hit and passing the restrictions of the screen, which you normally couldn't do.
-------------------------------------------------------

Replay Value
------------
Sky Warrior still doesn't have any extra modes or acheivements, but who cares. The real meat of Sky Warriors replay value has always been about what I call 'Difficulty Customization'. Sure you have the Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulties, but than you choose how many lives you have, how long your games going to last, which replays the bosses for you but you don't reset your lives, and of course, what weapon you choose. They're are litteraly 216 different combinations that you could tweak the difficulty. I'm not kidding! 4 weapons, 3 difficulty levels, 3 game lengths, and 6 different choices for how much lives you have, (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. If you choose 0 you can't die, which I don't even think is possible) multiply those numbers and it's 216! This is what makes Sky Warrior so good and it makes Sky Warrior II even better.
----------------------

The Verdict
-----------

Presentation - 10
The GUIs and HUD are flawless, and the cutscenes are really good too.

Audio/Video - 9.8/10
The sound has always been great in Sky Warrior games, and this is no exception. Plus the graphics are just as good as they were in the first, maybe even better. A new background switches things up but there's still only one environment.

Gameplay - 9.0/10
Brilliant, arcade-style, side scrolling shooter action. Sadly there's some minor lag, but it's only minor, and doesn't stop this game from being fun at all.

Replay Value - 10/10
216 different ways to play. Something that will stay loaded on your copy of Alice for quite a while.

Sky Warrior II Final Score - 9.7/10(Impressive)

Sky Warrior II does what every sequel should do. They fix almost all the problems the first game had and add new features and content without ruining the gameplay or adding too much new problems. This makes Sky Warrior II the ultimate sequel and my new favorite Alice Community game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you possible get me a .mp3/.wav of the title menu music for Sky Warrior II, I'm thinking about a video review :D

Nighthawk0973
08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Before I work on a new game, I need to re-examine Sky Warrior (the first one) (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=34388#post34388).

Asking questions like "Why was Sky Warrior fun?" and "What could make Sky Warrior better?"
If you want to, please tell me your opinion on the Sky Warrior games or how you think they can be improved.

Your opinion could help the Sky Warrior games become even better! :D

Wky is Sky Warrior Fun? Addicting and Difficult. Try and continue the difficulty that Sky Warrior has, new boss fights, makeing them newer and more unpredictable and allowing veteran players to still enjoy the challenge that the Sky Warrior games are known for. That would be epic.

What could make Sky Warrior better? Acheivements, More modes such as multiplayer or survival, and adding unique bosses, instead of throwing in the same bosses replace them with new ones each game. Actually now that you think about it survival agains smaller enemies would be a good edition, smaller and increasingly more difficult enemies. Maybe a boss every wave? That would be epic too.

Anyways see what you can do. Maybe you could make a second .a2w be for the survival mode, that would make sense, and work.

zero00
08-16-2011, 02:26 AM
What could make Sky Warrior better? ...modes such as multiplayer...
Any ideas on how I could get multiplayer to work with the game?

The only ways I can think of are a "2 player co-op" mode and a "sort of turn-based mode" (It's effectively single-player, but if player 1 dies, player 2's ship flies in and player 2 takes over. It's kind of like the first Super Mario Bros multiplayer I think...).

Co-op seems to be the most ideal (and hardest to figure out) option to me. Any ideas?

ElectricKirby
08-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Any ideas on how I could get multiplayer to work with the game?

The only ways I can think of are a "2 player co-op" mode and a "sort of turn-based mode" (It's effectively single-player, but if player 1 dies, player 2's ship flies in and player 2 takes over. It's kind of like the first Super Mario Bros multiplayer I think...).

Co-op seems to be the most ideal (and hardest to figure out) option to me. Any ideas?

Have both players onscreen at the same time. (True co-op)

That's really the only option in a side-scrolling space shmup.

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-16-2011, 08:28 AM
You should make it so that Player 1 uses Up Down Left Right to move and Enter to fire, and Player 2 uses WSAD to move and Space to fire.

EDIT: 800 posts! 4/5 of the way to 1,000!

zero00
08-16-2011, 09:30 AM
[Co-op is] really the only option in a side-scrolling space shmup.
I agree! So I did just that! :p
I pulled up and old keyboard I had lying around, plugged it into my laptop, programmed in another player (using WSAD), and hoped for the best :p

Amazingly, it worked! :confused:
(Not used to things going that smoothly :p)

To play this, plug another keyboard in the computer!
Player 2 can't flip or shoot yet (I just wanted Co-op to work :p)

Tell me if it works for you or not! If it does, we may see Sky Warrior with a co-op mode :D
(I wonder how many smilies I've put in my posts... :0)

zero00
08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Just updated the co-op mode
Still trying to figure out a good control scheme for each ship. For now...

Player 1
Move--------Arrow Keys
Shoot--------Space
Flip-----------Enter

Player 2
Move---------WASD
Shoot--------- L
Flip----------- Q

Enjoy! :D

x2495iiii
08-16-2011, 03:54 PM
This seems to be coming along nicely. Very well done, zero00. You should be proud.

zero00
08-16-2011, 04:18 PM
This seems to be coming along nicely. Very well done, zero00. You should be proud.
Thanks! :D
I think I may create a single-player world and a multiplayer world
(Hopefully with different bosses for each one. :D)

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-17-2011, 07:08 AM
i am new to this forum please tell me how to proceed
irctc pnr status (http://www.irctcpnrstatusinfo.com)
career options (http://www.jeetaapki.com/career-courses/)

You proceed by not being a spambot.

zero00
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I was asked for the title screen music for Sky Warrior 2. I decided to go a step further than that... :D

Here is the Sky Warrior Sound Pack! (http://www.mediafire.com/?gdc4mck7tjvklyl)

In this soundpack is:

The Sky Warrior Soundtrack
The Sky Warrior Returns Soundtrack
The Sky Warrior 2 Soundtrack
Sky Warrior 2's Credits Text Scroll
A Bonus Song (just because! :D)

All of the songs came from many different games (listed in the MusicList text file).
I strongly urge you to play some of the games in that list, if you get the chance.
They're all very good games! :D

Enjoy! :D

zero00
08-21-2011, 07:32 PM
By the way, I forgot to add this to the Sound Pack. Here's a cover "art"... thing (http://www.mediafire.com/i/?v578knrv7z9pqpm) I made, if you want it.

It looks like this:
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/4a17b8ee0f7d1879afa6dd3169e5523f58ce1fd8c762aaf719 015c83c313ec3d2g.jpg

Enjoy :D

jediaction
08-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Cool. Thanks!

DensetsuNoKaboom
08-23-2011, 08:36 PM
That looks cool.

DensetsuNoKaboom
03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
This game doesn't work in Alice 2.2 12/1/2011! Waaaa! :(

zero00
03-21-2012, 02:43 AM