PDA

View Full Version : 2D objects A.K.A "sprites"

sfunk
07-11-2011, 02:43 AM
here are most of the objects I made for my fighting game "SMASH" im giving these to the public so anyone can use them since if anyone really wanted them, they could just save them from my game, but i'm giving them here so you don't have to go through the hassle

ElectricKirby
07-11-2011, 03:33 AM
I did make a 3D Gale Boomerang, it's in my Zelda Objects thread, and I think I have a Samus object floating somewhere in my hard drive..... although untextured.

sfunk
07-11-2011, 03:57 AM
I know, I actually had a 3D version as well for awhile, but since SMASH is pretty demanding on how hard it runs, I made 2D objects to save from lag and what not

ElectricKirby
07-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Well, then using sprites in an Alice game would consist of mostly changing textures, similar to how the smoke effect and explosion effect work.

sfunk
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
If you were to change lets say the dk texture with the mario texture, you would have a mario shaped as DK, so you can't really do that, you have to have an actual model assigned with that texture, if not you'll get something all messed up looking

ElectricKirby
07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm talking about ripping images from video games, or getting a sprite sheet, like the one below for Kirby
http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/kssu/kirby.png

Take the individual images compiled there, and make it into an animated billboard.

Like in the attached world.

sfunk
07-11-2011, 07:49 PM
oh your talking more of a animation then, I thought you just meant texturing the object, you still have to have multiple shapes for the textures to run on(or have a multi layered textured object) if not they would still look kind of poorly done

How did you make it so the object only showed the texture and not like the white from the un texted part of the object?

x2495iiii
07-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Wow. Talk about comprehensive. That sprite sheet took me like 30 seconds just to skim.

And he uploaded the textures as .png files rather than .jpg or .bmp files.

sfunk
07-11-2011, 11:48 PM
so how do you rip the image from this sprite sheet, and texture the billboard without having the extra stuff showing(like the grayish blue area) showing along with the kirby?

legolizard
07-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Not sure if this is ElectricKirby's method, but I opened the sprite sheet in Photoshop took the "sprite" I wanted and separated it from the rest of the pictures, then used the magic wand tool to make the gray part "disappear." If you had Photoshop I could tell you how to do it exactly.

sfunk
07-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Not sure if this is ElectricKirby's method, but I opened the sprite sheet in Photoshop took the "sprite" I wanted and separated it from the rest of the pictures, then used the magic wand tool to make the gray part "disappear." If you had Photoshop I could tell you how to do it exactly.

I wish I had photoshop :/ all I have is gimp

legolizard
07-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Sorry about that, I've never used Gimp before, but I will check it out.

sfunk
07-12-2011, 12:06 AM
alright, thanks for trying to help

ElectricKirby
07-12-2011, 04:29 AM
I use gimp.

sfunk
07-12-2011, 04:48 AM
so could you possibly tell me how you did it on gimp? I have the program but have no idea how to use it

legolizard
07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Alright so I downloaded Gimp and after playing around with it for a little bit. I think I know how to do it. First open the image, then to cut the specific sprite you want select the dashed box tool (I don't know what Gimp calls it but in Photoshop it is called the recantgular marquee tool). Afertwards do ctrl-c and open a blank file. Now before you click okay in the dialog after selecting new go to Advaned options and find the drop down menu that says fill background with: select transparent. Now you should have a new window with a checkerd background. Then do ctrl-v and your sected sprite should appear. Next click on the tool that looks like a magic wand. In Gimp I think they call it the fuzzy tool or something. With this tool selected mark the specific sprite part (not the background) and the sprite area should change slightly. Afterwards right click and go to edit>invert. Finally press the delete button, and there you go!:)

sfunk
07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
haha thanks lego, I forgot to mention kirby already sent me how to do it through a pm already :P but good to know for the public use now

legolizard
07-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Oh, alright then.

sfunk
07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Well I have to thank both you and kirby for helping me on that issue, it is going to save me a lot of time with a few things, and if you want me to post kirbys solution since his is a little easier(I think) I could do that?

EDIT: heres a little world with the first time using this technique, play the world and hold the right arrow.

room14
07-13-2011, 01:02 AM
are you guys talking about alpha channel? if so there's easier way.

ElectricKirby
07-13-2011, 01:39 AM
What I noticed in your example is that each texture was a different size, and so some of the frames were squished down to fit within the billboard. Instead, when you take out parts from a sheet, take out one frame, then save it. Then add a new layer and paste the next frame in the new layer. Make the layer below invisible by clicking on the icon in the Layer toolbox that looks like an Eye. Save, then repeat, but instead of using a new layer, use the layer below.

sfunk
07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
alright, I figured there would be a way to fix that, but I had no idea how, but now I do haha

EDIT: I cant get that to work, I click to get a new layer, and all it does is show the same picture I cropped out, and I try to paste the new picture in by cutting it out from hitting open>desired photo to use, but it wont paste the new cropped picture in