PDA

View Full Version : Preferences not saving

rujikin
08-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I downloaded the most recent alice and tried changing the preferences so that I could see "Java in color" however no matter how many times I restarted or reinstalled it just wouldn't save. It seems any changes to preferences that I do never save.

However I downloaded an older version of Alice and the preference saves work just fine. So it shouldn't be my computer since the problem only occurs in the most current version and not in older versions.

I am running: Windows 7. I write enabled the whole directory and took off the read only option for all of the files and still nothing. This is a PC not a networked comp

Dj Tech42
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
You either need to replace your AlicePreferences.xml file or it is missing. You can download it here in this thread:
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7081&highlight=alicepreferences.xml

Put it in a folder called ".alice2." This is where Alice stores its preferences and caches. It should be somewhere in your documents and settings folder.

rujikin
08-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I have the alice preferences and replaced it but it is still not saving. What is the manual code for changing it in the preferences file?

brotherjohniv
09-14-2011, 10:21 PM
I tired the method as well and it did not work.

Mr Kidnapper
09-15-2011, 02:16 AM
UAC is peculiar about certain directories even if you write-enable them, particularly Program Files and Windows. Have you tried running Alice as an administrator instead? Solved all my problems. If this is your problem, you should be getting an error something along the lines of ###########log.txt cannot access every time you run Alice.

Salmendez
09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm having the same problem I tried installing it to my desktop but every time I try and change the preferences It says the changes will take effect after restart but they never do.. I have even tryed to change the save and load from location in preferences it it never changes..

Armaggeddon
09-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I have Alice 2.2 and I can not change my preferences either. I try to change it and then I restart and nothing saved. It keeps resetting everything to default

I tried putting Alice in many different folders from the desktop to C drive, to program files, etc

I tried putting the "AlicePreferences-COPY" in the Alice2 folder in my documents and settings and it did not do anything. I got the error

Alice version: 2.2 08/05/2011

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException

at javax.swing.LayoutComparator.compare(LayoutCompara tor.java:72)

at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Arrays.java:1270)

at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Arrays.java:1281)

at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Arrays.java:1281)

at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Arrays.java:1282)

at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Arrays.java:1282)

at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:1210)

at java.util.Collections.sort(Collections.java:159)

at javax.swing.SortingFocusTraversalPolicy.enumerateA ndSortCycle(SortingFocusTraversalPolicy.java:119)

at javax.swing.SortingFocusTraversalPolicy.getFirstCo mponent(SortingFocusTraversalPolicy.java:434)

at javax.swing.LayoutFocusTraversalPolicy.getFirstCom ponent(LayoutFocusTraversalPolicy.java:148)

at javax.swing.SortingFocusTraversalPolicy.getDefault Component(SortingFocusTraversalPolicy.java:511)

at java.awt.FocusTraversalPolicy.getInitialComponent( FocusTraversalPolicy.java:152)

at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent (DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:340)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.jav a:4523)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.jav a:2099)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478 )

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:44 81)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.j ava:643)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:84)

at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:602)

at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:600)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)

at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:98)

at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:616)

at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:614)

at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 613)

at java.awt.SequencedEvent.dispatch(SequencedEvent.ja va:101)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.j ava:641)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:84)

at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:602)

at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:600)

at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:98)

at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:616)

at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:614)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 613)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(EventDispatchThread.java:269)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(E ventDispatchThread.java:184)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(EventDispatchThread.java:174)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:169)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:161)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:122)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I removed the -COPY from the file name so it was "AlicePreferences" and it gave me an error when i loaded Alice.

Alice version: 2.2 08/05/2011

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Invalid index

at javax.swing.DefaultRowSorter.convertRowIndexToMode l(DefaultRowSorter.java:497)

at sun.swing.FilePane$SortableListModel.getElementAt( FilePane.java:528)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI.updateLayoutSta te(BasicListUI.java:1343)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI.maybeUpdateLayo utState(BasicListUI.java:1294)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI.getCellBounds(B asicListUI.java:935)

at javax.swing.JList.getCellBounds(JList.java:1600)

at javax.swing.JList.ensureIndexIsVisible(JList.java: 1116)

at sun.swing.FilePane.ensureIndexIsVisible(FilePane.j ava:1543)

at sun.swing.FilePane.doDirectoryChanged(FilePane.jav a:1466)

at sun.swing.FilePane.propertyChange(FilePane.java:15 16)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChang e(PropertyChangeSupport.java:339)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChang e(PropertyChangeSupport.java:276)

at java.awt.Component.firePropertyChange(Component.ja va:8154)

at javax.swing.JFileChooser.setCurrentDirectory(JFile Chooser.java:568)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.SaveF orWebContentPane.guiInit(SaveForWebContentPane.jav a:239)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.SaveF orWebContentPane.<init>(SaveForWebContentPane.java:45)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.dialogInit(AuthoringTool.java:645)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.<init>(AuthoringTool.java:405)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice.main( JAlice.java:141)

I need to use Alice in Java mode for Computer Sci 120
everything in class is explained in Java and to work on the assignments in Alice format is confusing because a lot of the stuff is worded differently in Alice mode.

Please Help

aikmin
10-03-2011, 05:17 AM
I downloaded the most recent alice and tried changing the preferences so that I could see "Java in color" however no matter how many times I restarted or reinstalled it just wouldn't save. It seems any changes to preferences that I do never save.

However I downloaded an older version of Alice and the preference saves work just fine. So it shouldn't be my computer since the problem only occurs in the most current version and not in older versions.

I am running: Windows 7. I write enabled the whole directory and took off the read only option for all of the files and still nothing. This is a PC not a networked comp

Download and replace your jar file.
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/aik_min/alice.jar

File is for Windows only. Your file should be in (...\Alice 2.2\Required\lib)

jlengson
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
the alice.jar method is working for me.:D

The first one didn't work for me. :(

Thank you so much,
I really needed it for my computer science class