PDA

View Full Version : Sky Warrior X

zero00
09-04-2011, 12:53 PM
(or Sky Warrior Zero, possibly)

I'm thinking of creating another Sky Warrior game. After reaching memory limits on Sky Warrior 2, I'm trying to make this game a more "back-to-basics" kind of game, while adding new stuff that wasn't in the previous games.

Here is my progress so far:

2-Player Co-op
3 Unique Stages (as well as the good ol' Infinite Ocean)
A Stage Transition
Manual Fire (tap to shoot)
...and more!

The Controls are the same as usual.
Player 1 - "Hydra"

Arrow Keys--Move
Space-------Fire
Enter--------Flip (I'm wondering if I should keep this feature)

Player 2 - "Blood Hawk"

WASD----Move
L---------Fire
Q---------Flip

Press 0 to kill Player 1. :rolleyes:

Grab an extra keyboard and a friend, and try the co-op! If there are any problems, please post them here!

If you have any ideas for bosses, gameplay, or anything else, please share!

Edit:
Here's a "teaser trailer" I hacked up! (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=43393#post43393)

Dj Tech42
09-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Awesome!!! Love the music and visuals!

arty-fishL
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
This is brilliant and uniquehttp://www.alice.org/community/images/icons/icon14.gif , but does that mean Sky Warrior 2 is cancelled :(?

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-04-2011, 03:01 PM
sQUEEEEEEEEEE :d

zero00
09-04-2011, 03:20 PM
...but does that mean Sky Warrior 2 is cancelled :(?
I've already finished Sky Warrior 2.
The Sky Warrior 2 Beta is Sky Warrior 2.

jediaction
09-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I like the music. It doesn't look as good as Sky Warrior 1 though....Keep working on it. I like the planet in the back though. Make some asteroids you can shoot at as obstacles, instead of that annoying wall from the first Sky Warrior....ALSO! Since you are in space, can't this game be called "Space Warrior"

zero00
09-04-2011, 06:03 PM
It doesn't look as good as Sky Warrior 1 though
Can you explain why in more detail?
(The HUD is a placeholder, BTW. It will be replaced with a better looking one.)
Make some asteroids you can shoot at as obstacles...I was just thinking of that! :D
...instead of that annoying wall from the first Sky Warrior
What wall? The only walls in that game I remember were from Core Force's attacks. :confused:

jediaction
09-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Yah, the force attack. Yes, the asteroids would work, and the planet in the background just looks cheesy. Make it more pleasing. Make some galaxy in the background or a milkyway.

arty-fishL
09-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I've already finished Sky Warrior 2.
The Sky Warrior 2 Beta is Sky Warrior 2.
You did? I never noticed it in share worlds, so you just left it in WIP then? If so then can you direct me to the post (there's so many posts on your Sky Warrior threads).

zero00
09-05-2011, 11:58 AM
If so then can you direct me to the post (there's so many posts on your Sky Warrior threads).Look at the first post in the "Sky Warrior - Gradius Style" thread (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6861). There should be three links in it that should help you find what you're looking for. :D
I never noticed it in share worlds, so you just left it in WIP then?Good point. Perhaps I should make a compilation of all of the Sky Warrior Stuff and post it in the Share Worlds area. :D

zero00
09-13-2011, 01:09 AM
I haven't been able to work on the game as much as wanted to because of school, but progress is still being made :D (albeit slowly...)

I'm hoping to add more different bosses in this game. Here's the first one. At the moment, it is simply called the "Rotating Core" (it strikes fear into your heart, I'm certain :p)

It shoots lasers.

zero00
09-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Because plugging in another keyboard for co-op leaves players susceptible to griefing each other (intentionally or not ;)), I decided to look in using gamepads (I ordered 2 of these NES Style Controllers (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-NES-Controller-PC/dp/B002YVD3KM/ref=sr_1_12?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1315554304&sr=1-12) from Amazon!)

After configuring them using Joy2Key (which I downloaded from CNET, I think (http://download.cnet.com/JoyToKey/3000-2094_4-75220348.html.)), they worked amazingly well! :D

The Multiplayer Co-op Mode is looking even better! :D

Random Notes
-I chose the NES Controller, not just because the Sky Warrior games can mapped to just a D-pad and 2 buttons (which is amazing in its self), but it also helps me keep controls for future games simple and tight :D
-I wonder if this post is consider advertising? If it is, I apologize! :o

InsertName
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
How do you plug in controlers* to use your computer? (I sound like a n00b probally.)

zero00
09-13-2011, 06:36 PM
@InsertName (Don't worry, InsertName, I had no idea how to use them at first either! :D)

If you actually decided to get a gamepad(s) to play the game with, here's what I did...
(I'm using the controllers I mentioned in the above post. My Operating system is Windows 7)

-First, plug in the controller(s). Let your computer install/find the right drivers.

-Next, go to start menu and search for "set up USB game controllers". Go to the device called "USB gamepad" and open its properties. Press the controller's buttons and the numbered circles will glow appropriately.

-After that, download Joy2Key (http://download.cnet.com/JoyToKey/3000-2094_4-75220348.html.). Bind the controller's buttons to appropriate keys. For example: the "LEFT" button can be bound to the left arrow key. Use the properties window from the first step to find out what keys to use.

It should work after that! :D Not sure if I explained the process very well, though :p
(I'll edit this post later, if the steps weren't clear.)

David B
09-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I love the game! I hope to someday try out the multiplayer game!

The game is great and all, but can you succeeed at completing a challenge which nobody has ever done before (not even me)? Can you figure out how to use a server to make the game multiplayer? (It is possible. Somebody managed to do it once, but it was very basic.)

zero00
09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Can you figure out how to use a server to make the game multiplayer? (It is possible. Somebody managed to do it once, but it was very basic.)
Online multiplayer? I can't really do things like that. :(
I think Arty or zonedabone would be better suited for something like that. :D
I wish I could do something like that though...

jediaction
09-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Multiplayer? I will tell you this...Online is possible, but not likely at this point. More research is being done and is under the code name "Action Zone"

Nighthawk0973
09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
@jedi
"action zone" that cracked me up. I don't know it just sounds very cheeseball to me. ;) Don't worry about it.

@zero
This sounds epic, but how about you call the new game "Sky Warrior: Dual Force" since there are two sky warriors. I also love the sky warrior thing, though you realize that people will have to configure their own version of Joy2Key in order to work it. It's fine by me, since I'll just use a PS2 controller and make the control scheme my own control scheme.

Also, there might not be a review for this game. I know it's depressing, but at the same time, I have other things going on in life, and have long ago de-installed alice. Hey wait, ok I 100% will, my friends computer has it. Plus the review results will be more acurate since he has a more powerful processor than mine (my processor is crap, trust me)

Edit: I'm exited for this game. Make sure to add tons of difficulty customization options, and maybe add something to decrease the thing that is the problem with SW, it's kind of repetetive after you've played all the games...

DensetsuNoKaboom
09-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Multiplayer? I will tell you this...Online is possible, but not likely at this point. More research is being done and is under the code name "Action Zone"

Ohohoho I get it, jediaction zonedabone

Nighthawk0973
09-23-2011, 10:27 PM
ah good one. Now it's not as cheesey ;)

David B
09-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Ohohoho I get it, jediaction zonedabone

I thought that I saw some kind of connection, but I wasn't sure...

zero00
09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I was inspired by the death sequences of the bosses in Metal Black, a space shooter, and I thought I could try and replicate it! Surprisingly, I was successful! :D (still don't understand opacity maps, though...)

Perhaps I can use this in the game... or something... :p

Here's how a boss would die in Metal Black. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WJiZohLME#t=5m1s)
Compare that to the world below!

Enjoy!

zero00
10-01-2011, 04:35 AM
I was inspired by R-Type III to make an interesting title screen for the game. (If you feel like looking up R-type III's title screen, you'll see the resemblance.)

This title screen may or may not make it to the final game, but it is an interesting experiment! :D

I felt like the mouse-controlled menus kind of broke the flow of game.
(Using the mouse, then switching over to another control scheme)
This screen will use the arrow keys for simple and efficient controls! :D

"Sky Warrior: Dual Force"... I like it! Thanks, Nighthawk!

Let me know what you think of it!

(Edit: Forgot to attach the file :p The select sound is a placeholder.)

InsertName
10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I was inspired by R-Type III to make an interesting title screen for the game. (If you feel like looking up R-type III's title screen, you'll see the resemblance.)

I have that game, for the Gameboy. I never really understood that game. (never got past the first level!)

zero00
10-02-2011, 11:09 PM
I have that game, for the Gameboy. I never really understood that game. (never got past the first level!)

From what I've heard, R-type III's GBA port wasn't very good. :(
I've have the game on the Wii's Virtual Console. Still hard, though! :D But from what I can tell, it looks and plays better than the GBA version (haven't gotten past the last level, though).

Personally, I think R-Type (and other Irem games) are more like puzzle games than shooters.

zero00
10-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't know why I made this! :p
Could be used for menus or backgrounds or something...

zero00
10-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I have created a new boss: the Magnet Core!

At the moment , it uses Urchin Force's model, but the way you fight it is much different. :D

Surrounding the screen are 8 "magnets". One of them will glow blue and the Core will either move towards it or follow it. The magnets can also spin around the screen, making the fight more unpredictable! :D

Because I used the Urchin Force model from a previous Sky Warrior game, it has some animations that lets the legs expand and contract. The picture below shows the Core at its smallest (default) size.

Couple of updates:

You see that white circle inside the player? That's your hitbox.
Ignore the white circle between the player and the Magnet Core :p
If I break the code a little and make the magnets spin really fast, the core goes crazy and appears to make eight flickering copies of itself! All of which can kill you and you have to weave between them! :eek:
A survival mode could be added where you survive against the Magnet Core!

arty-fishL
10-14-2011, 01:24 PM
One thing I love about your games is, if you ignored the fact you have to use Alice to run them, when you look at them you would think it was a normal game on console or PC.

zero00
10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is the Magnet Core!
(I don't what difficulty this thing is on. Probably "Hard" :p)

I felt I should show a little of what I have been working on, so here it is! :D
Enjoy!

(You have infinite lives BTW)

zero00
11-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Rotating Core:
-Rotating Core's collisions have been added (don't crash into the core):p
-It can ram into the player, and when its hatch is closed, your bullets ricochet off in random directions, instead of disappearing! :D

3 new weapons may be added:
-The Laser: Long energy beam. "Attached" to your ship (When you move, the laser also moves)
-Armor-Piercing Laser: Can behave either like bullets or the Laser. Pierces through enemies. Can be useful on ridiculous mode (if added)
-Tailgun: Every other bullet is fired behind player.

InsertName
11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Sounds cool

zero00
11-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Revolver Force V2 added!

-Can have up to 6 bullets on screen at any one time (Reduced from Sky Warrior 2, where it was 8)

-Bullet Objects replaced with pretty sprites
(In Sky Warrior 2, it used 8 bullets which were comprised of a sphere and a glow texture. I think the spheres took up a good amount of memory :mad:)

-Can spam bullets :p

x2495iiii
11-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Revolver Force V2 added!

-Can have up to 6 bullets on screen at any one time (Reduced from Sky Warrior 2, where it was 8)

-Bullet Objects replaced with pretty sprites
(In Sky Warrior 2, it used 8 bullets which were comprised of a sphere and a glow texture. I think the spheres took up a good amount of memory :mad:)

-Can spam bullets :p

Ooh, sounds fun.

Is it posted? I can't seem to find a recent one.

zero00
11-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Ooh, sounds fun.

Is it posted? I can't seem to find a recent one.
No. But once I figure out other attacks for Revolver Force and have the battle "playtested", I'll post it as soon as I can! :D

Nighthawk0973
11-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Woot! New Sky Warrior. idk if I've seen this before but it looks fun :D

zero00
11-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Here a screenshot of the new Revolver Force!

zero00
11-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Here are the weapons that are currently in the game (in some form).

zero00
11-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Apparently, if ridiculous mode makes it to the final game it'll look like this...
Scary... And the Rotating Core isn't even finished yet! :O

x2495iiii
11-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Cool beans.

Why use the Alice model revolver though? There's a bunch of much higher def revolver models on the forums.

zero00
11-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Cool beans.

Why use the Alice model revolver though? There's a bunch of much higher def revolver models on the forums.
I think I looked at them in a previous project, but they didn't fit what I needed then, so I ignored them. I think I'll look at them again!

(Uses a new revolver model)

Interesting...

(In case anyone's curious, the numbers on image below are health meters. The top one is the Magnet Core, the middle is the Rotating Core, and the bottom is Revolver Force)

zero00
11-13-2011, 03:02 AM
I made a quick "trailer" for the game. Enjoy! :D

jediaction
11-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Trailers in Alice are always a challenge....but..It was good! I love that music, but the pictures in the beginning got boreing after the second image, plus once they get close enough to the camera so you can see what they actually have on them, they fade away. Overall, it's good, but it would be cool if you added something that didn't look like the first game(Like pictures of new stuff).

zero00
11-21-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking of adding continues to the game. Here what it looks like:

jediaction
11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
It looks good, but the buttons shouldn't be dull. Make them half transparent and green wireframe or something, and the gun doesn't fit in.

zero00
11-21-2011, 03:32 PM
It looks good, but the buttons shouldn't be dull. Make them half transparent and green wireframe or something...
Ok. That makes sense :D
...and the gun doesn't fit in.
This is during a boss battle with revolver force. The continue screen is overlaid on the screen.

jediaction
11-21-2011, 03:57 PM
This is during a boss battle with revolver force. The continue screen is overlaid on the screen.

Oh...Lol

zero00
11-24-2011, 01:28 AM
I have added, so far, the Title Screen and the Options Menu. It is based on the R-Type III design I posted earlier.

This may be the most complex menu I have ever created! :D
It is controlled entirely by the Arrow Keys and the Space Bar!
(I think the way I handled the options menu was pretty clever!)

If press up or down on the Title Screen, the "Start" and "Options" rotate in place (similar to R-Type III design)!

Here are some pictures of the menu!

zero00
11-24-2011, 09:12 PM
I remembered some previous reviews from NightHawk sometime ago. He mentioned that my games should have the option to change the backgrounds, or at least have a background other than the Infinite Ocean.

You know what I did? I kept it!

But I made a very minor change...
It's winter.

What do you think?

(If someone reads this during December, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :D)

zero00
11-25-2011, 06:26 AM
I revamped how the game selects weapons! Before I had search all around the game for bits of code and whatnot to change weapons; now, I can switch weapons simply by changing a variable!

What does this mean for you? The player?

As I changed the weapons system, I went a bit crazy with the Laser weapon.
At this moment, there are now a total of 7 weapons in the game!

Normal Shot (or Vulcan Cannon): Standard Machinegun

TailGun: Rear Mounted Vulcan Cannon

Max Power: Short-Range High-Energy Shot (now with bullet spread!)

Laser: Energy beam that is attached to the ship and does high damage

Rapid Laser (or Sword Force): Energy Beam Sword

Piercing Shot: Does moderately-high damage and can pierce through enemies

E-Laser: Extremely-High-Power Low-Velocity Laser

Also, this is my 250th post! WHOOOO!

jediaction
11-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Wow, may I ask how are you doing all this? You are becoming like Madden. He blew me away with his graphics style, and every picture you post of Sky Warrior is blowing me away. Good job! Love the snow and the new menu. Make sure the background moves in the menu.

dakota95
11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
amazing zero00

zero00
11-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Love the snow and the new menu.
Thanks! (That menu was a real pain to program though) :mad:

Make sure the background moves in the menu.
It already does! :cool:

amazing zero00
Thanks! :D

zero00
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Two things:

1. I have removed the E-Laser from the game. It was causing too many issues and I got tired of it. Also, it was overpowered anyway :p

2. There is now a new weapons select screen! Press left and right to switch weapons. (The background is black until I can find a suitable background texture)

Mr Kidnapper
11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Try hologram style, since you've got that whole circular text thing going on anyways

zero00
11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Try hologram style, since you've got that whole circular text thing going on anyways
What do you mean "hologram style"?

Mr Kidnapper
11-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Like this. http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080503220028/starcraft/images/b/bd/InfestedSarahKerrigan_SC1_Art1.gif

zero00
11-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Like this. http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080503220028/starcraft/images/b/bd/InfestedSarahKerrigan_SC1_Art1.gif
I have no idea how I'm going to pull that off! :p

Edit: Nevermind. I found a good texture to use for the Background :D
(The background does require me to manipulate time a bit, though :P)

jediaction
11-28-2011, 10:18 AM
....Epic....You know, where did you learn all this stuff?

zero00
11-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Rotating Core is feeling a bit left out. :(
So I'm giving new and interesting attacks! :D

I can't give much detail right now, but at least one of its attacks may involve ricocheting bullets and walls!

Edit:
Just gave it the ricocheting bullet attack!
( :O It's so weird to dodge! They move all over the place!)

zero00
12-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm losing track of these updates... :p

Anyway, Rotating Core has received the ability to shoot four lasers at once!

Depending on the difficulty, Revolver Force changes models. On Easier difficulties, Revolver Force appears as the Alice Model. On harder difficulties, it becomes a more realistic revolver.
Also, it can ram into the player.

jediaction
12-03-2011, 11:27 AM
You know. Is all this in one game? Even though your saying all this stuff, I'm starting to loose interest. When is the game coming out?

zero00
12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
You know. Is all this in one game?
Yes.
Even though your saying all this stuff, I'm starting to loose interest.
:(
When is the game coming out?
My goal is to release the game before Christmas. :D
This game takes a lot of time and effort to make. Be patient.

Edit: I think I may release a small demo, though. :D

zero00
12-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Revolver Force's attack patterns have been added! (Two more to go! :D)
I think Revolver Force is much harder in this game! :eek:
(Mainly because I can't beat it on Hard without dying yet :O)

I have also added a speed change button to the game. Press enter to toggle speed between Normal Speed and Max Speed.

jediaction
12-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Yeah! You know, your next release might get a 100/100. It sounds very good.

zero00
12-13-2011, 06:50 AM
-Rotating Core's attack patterns have been added (for the most part). They just need to be tested now. Its also pretty difficult to fight.
(I used its shields a lot less than I expected)

-There are now 4 difficulties: Easiest, Easy, Normal, and Hard. Easiest was added to introduce new players to the Sky Warrior games :D

jediaction
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Score keeps getting higher. When is the game coming out?

zero00
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
When is the game coming out?
Hopefully before Christmas.
If I can get Magnet Core's attack patterns in soon, the game would effectively be completed.

(Also, did you change your avatar?)

jediaction
12-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes I did, your the second to ask within a few hours. This is going to be my avatar until the end of the year.

zero00
12-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I've recently had a passion to make an arcade machine. I'm starting out with making a control panel (the joystick, buttons, and panel holding them).

I made a panel out of a cardboard box, wires, tape, and some parts I ordered online! I finished this the day all the parts got to my house (which was yesterday, as of this post).

This one is a test panel. Designed to be as a cheap as possible!

It won't be winning any design awards, but it works! :D

Another interesting thing about the arcade stick is pressing the buttons on it translates to keyboard presses. Reprogramming it a little made it compatible with Alice and, by extension, the Sky Warrior games!

The second picture is a picture I took of it during school (MAME is shown on the monitor playing Gradius III). This thing was so ridiculous to me, I had to show as many people as I could!

(BTW I had no real experience with electricity or wiring while I made this. My only help was online tutorials! :D
Also, sorry if this post sounds a bit disjointed :p)

arty-fishL
12-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Cool :cool:. I like how you used the arcade box for the arcade joystick.

zero00
12-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Yesterday, as of this post, I decided to add a third button to the arcade box. If you look at the above picture, it would have formed a triangle shape.

After that, I tried to play Metal Slug X with it. There were a number issues I had with it!

The box was too tall, so my arms cramped trying to play the game.
The buttons formed a triangle shape. My fingers don't work like that! :p
The box tape was coming off, and the joystick appeared to be ripping out of the box!

While I was cloning my HDD, a process that took about 5-6 hours, I decided to redesign the arcade stick! It was hard work, but I think it was worth the effort!

New Features/Why this one is better

The box is thinner, smaller, and its cardboard is stronger!
The three buttons have been reorganized into a semi-ergonomic layout.
The joystick is hot-glued in place. It's not going anywhere!
There is a fifth button on the side, used as a "Coin Insert" button in MAME.
I used a pencil, instead of a green Sharpie, to make marks on the box, so it looks better.

I have tested this thing with a number of games

Gradius III Arcade: Made it to stage 2 without dying. That has never happened before!
Cosmic Cop (or Armed Police Unit Gallop): Worked quite well!
Metal Slug X: Got through Stage 1 without dying. That never happened often either! The narrator even said "You're great!"

Anyway, I think it's pretty awesome! Let me know what you think!
(I don't think the picture does it justice, though:rolleyes:)

zero00
12-24-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm deeply sorry, but Sky Warrior will have to be delayed for a while. A number of other projects have shown up that require my attention :(

arty-fishL
12-24-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm deeply sorry, but Sky Warrior will have to be delayed for a while. A number of other projects have shown up that require my attention :(Aaaawww :(