PDA

View Full Version : Alice Game Ideas

Nighthawk0973
11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm not much of an Alice guy. I hate all the restrictions the Alice has and prefer to program games myself. But I'm only a 2D programmer as of now, so in the 3D world, I don't have any way of creating my ideas. So I decided to create this thread. This is my 'Alice Game Ideas' thread.

Be warned however, these ideas aren't for the Alice newbie. You need to be extremely good at Alice, and probably able to use world loader and all that other cool stuff. :)

So if you're good at Alice, but need a good idea for a game, than check on this thread. If you see an idea that you like, tell me and I'll consider allowing you to use the idea in your Alice game. (you need my approval first, and I'm not dumb either, I know if you got the idea off this thread and made it into your own game, posted it on the community and called it your own)

Remember, if you need some ideas to help advance the game concepts farther than what I post, don't be afraid to PM me!

-Nighthawk0973

x2495iiii
11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I tried this awhile back. Never got it just right.

A small scale, single room survival FPS with collision detection and polished mechanics. now when I say polished, I mean no lagging, no enemies going through walls, competent AI, moderate challenge, perfect bullet collision, enemy animation, balanced weapons, polished firing animations, and no going through walls yourself.

(Polished, by the way, means how it looks in the professional games)

I got close. My wall code was too bulky and it slowed the game down. Also, the bullet collision at the time seemed impossible to me, so I got around it with "mouse clicked on" methods. The problem with this is that if you click the enemy (a zombie, in my case), then hold the mouse down while moving it off of him, it still registers as hitting him.

I also found it difficult to animate the enemies well. I ended up with zombies jumping awkwardly at you way more quickly than they should. But it's largely due to the fact that Alice can't handle much more than two zombies onscreen jumping at you at once. I had four.

So anyway, good luck doing something like this. Definitely not for a newbie, that's for sure.

InsertName
11-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I can do some animations for charcters. Walking Jumping, Punching. ect.
Make it look nice.

Mr Kidnapper
11-12-2011, 02:59 AM
IMO one of the things closer to the realm of possibility than an FPS, yet just as hard to make, is a *visually correct* flight simulator.

Requirements:
-Throttle control. Remember, airplanes have a speed requirement to stay in air, so don't make this a really low number.
-Collision (Flight sim collision is generally less costly)
-First Person Cockpit view, First Person, and Third Person view.
-Flight instruments. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_instruments) All of the meters except for the course deviation meter and the radio magnetic indicator are necessary.
-Do a barrel roll!

[Optional]
-Interesting flight instrument layout. I didn't say the flight instruments had to be physical and attached to the plane. Just that they had to be present and visible.
-Targeting System. This can be with or without lock-on targeting. Remember, as a general rule of thumb missiles have guidance systems and rockets don't. Gravity bombs, even if they have guidance, are still only considered bombs.
-Environment. What matters is the flight, not whether or not you're flying over an oil spill or if you're flying right next to a giant radio tower that is jamming your flight controls.
-Landing, various other miscellaneous methods such as changing the position of landing gear and rolling out the evacuation slide.
-Other planes + AI. I recommend not making AI. You will invariably flop it, and Alice isn't boss enough to support half decent aerial dogfights even if you didn't.
Example: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1LhO4rKT0)
I can see an altimeter, a turn indicator + crosshair (targeting system), and a compass (radar).

AliceMaster00
01-14-2012, 05:32 AM
I tried this awhile back. Never got it just right.

A small scale, single room survival FPS with collision detection and polished mechanics. now when I say polished, I mean no lagging, no enemies going through walls, competent AI, moderate challenge, perfect bullet collision, enemy animation, balanced weapons, polished firing animations, and no going through walls yourself.

(Polished, by the way, means how it looks in the professional games)

I got close. My wall code was too bulky and it slowed the game down. Also, the bullet collision at the time seemed impossible to me, so I got around it with "mouse clicked on" methods. The problem with this is that if you click the enemy (a zombie, in my case), then hold the mouse down while moving it off of him, it still registers as hitting him.

I also found it difficult to animate the enemies well. I ended up with zombies jumping awkwardly at you way more quickly than they should. But it's largely due to the fact that Alice can't handle much more than two zombies onscreen jumping at you at once. I had four.

So anyway, good luck doing something like this. Definitely not for a newbie, that's for sure.

I can try to do this, im pretty good at these thing cauz ive worked on SO MANY that i can probably create good collision, bullet system, and AI system just how you like it.:D

room14
01-14-2012, 06:03 AM
...things... things...
-Other planes + AI. I recommend not making AI. You will invariably flop it, and Alice isn't boss enough to support half decent aerial dogfights even if you didn't.

Not So. I am going to prove it on my game.

zero00
01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I had this idea sometime ago:

It was a vertical-scrolling shooter. There would be one boss, but it would shoot a ridiculous amount of bullets and things at the player. There would even be bullet patterns to dodge.

Basically, a manic shooter like DoDonPachi or something.

Mr Kidnapper
01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Touhou?

dakota95
01-15-2012, 10:42 PM
whatdoumean?

Mr Kidnapper
01-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Touhou. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4zLwlpPobU
The defacto most popular game series in Japan. It's also known as the hardest of its genre.
This particular game out of the series, Shoot the Bullet, is a bit different. It's an extra game, but that doesn't make it any less hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQLIaZUOnBU
More average for the series, difficulty is still ridiculous.
Apparently the only reason there's no official English version is because the game is too hard for Americans.
I will give you props if you really manage to recreate the game. You will run in the hundreds of thousands (Probably cutting a few million) of spheres if you try to do it normally, so try to include cloning that occurs during play.

zero00
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Touhou?
Basically, though my idea would probably have a more modest number of bullets. :D

I don't know how to clone and delete things though. I'm assuming Arty-Fish or someone was able to program that into Alice. If you know where I can find that, can you post a link?

arty-fishL
01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Arty-Fish* Arty-fishL (or just arty)

Read this thread to find out how to do cloning:
Breeding like rabbits (http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6831)

Read this thread for a smart way to use it:
Extended Cloning (http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7936)

Its not foolproof, but using both threads you can get it to work nicely.

zero00
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Read this thread to find out how to do cloning:
Breeding like rabbits (http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6831)

Its not foolproof, but using both threads you can get it to work nicely.

Sorry about that, Arty-FishL :p
Thank you for posting the code to create new copies of objects! I think I might be able to make a "Touhou"-like game to actually work!

(I can't believe I didn't notice the tutorial you wrote on that post! :P)

Mr Kidnapper
01-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Remember something: The way you deal with the objects after you clone them is important. If you don't do something with them, they will clog your processor and slow your computer to a halt after only a few thousand spheres. This is called a memory leak and is the most disastrous thing ever conceived by workers with poor work-ethic. Fortunately due to many standards in the 3D world where optimization is key, Frustum Culling has been implemented into Alice. Frustum Culling is the act of not rendering things that don't show up on the screen or are outside of clipping range. This is can only go so far however, as when cloning Alice still eventually has to deal with thousands of cloned objects to sort when running the cloning method.
The general idea of proper destruction of old data such as cloned objects is to delete them. We don't know how to do this while running the world. Instead you could (try) a few other things. I have not experimented in this field so I am not entirely certain if they work. You can set them to not show, if you're using sprites you can remove their texture (Or set it to a small 100% transparent box texture), you can toss them (far) off screen, and whatever you might think of.

Dj Tech42
01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I was thinking about how I could set up an unlockable system in my flight simulator and thought, why don't I put a storyline into it? Right now, it is an arcade style game where you try to get the best time for destroying the enemy. There could be a separate version where you progress through a storyline, kinda like "career" mode.

You start with a plane and apply upgrades and unlock new planes as you complete parts of the game. For the actual game, it could start off with a tutorial showing the player how to fly in the game. Then, it could go to a one-on-one battle with an enemy AI. After that, it could be like Midnight Club Los Angeles where you cruise around and it would be like "free mode" (think GTA). As you are flying around, enemies would be in certain spots and would start chasing you if they see you. You would earn money from destroying enemies. You can use money to buy upgrades and planes.

During free mode, you could fly to other people "on your side" and complete missions. These missions would include getting to areas in a certain time, destroying bosses, and racing competitions. These would earn you a lot of money.

After each mission, you would go back to free mode. There would be a random amount of fog that would slightly change while you are flying. This adds a cool "live" environment effect. There would also be different places. I added maps to 7.0, and I could have the player end up in different maps when coming back from a mission or going to a mission.

I could use text-to-speech, so your allies can help you and you can also listen to the enemies when they are about to chase you.

Do you think this is a cool idea? It would take a while, and I would need some help from members of the forum.

arty-fishL
01-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I was thinking about how I could set up an unlockable system in my flight simulator
player end up in different maps when coming back from a mission or going to a mission.:D cool

I could use text-to-speech:eek: How?

Do you think this is a cool idea? It would take a while, and I would need some help from members of the forum.Sounds very good, but it also sounds like it would push Alice a lot and it would be hard work.

room14
01-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I could use text-to-speech, so your allies can help you and you can also listen to the enemies when they are about to chase you.

wouldn't the people have no expression or sound robotic?

Dj Tech42
01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
wouldn't the people have no expression or sound robotic?

I will have to see how the voices sound. If they sound too robotic, I will have to do voice acting somehow.

room14
01-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I will have to see how the voices sound. If they sound too robotic, I will have to do voice acting somehow.

or "hire" someone in the community.

DensetsuNoKaboom
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
or "hire" someone in the community.

Ooh ooh pick me pick me, wait on second thought don't pick me.