PDA

View Full Version : ALICE 3.0 Release Date

lanceA
04-21-2007, 04:40 PM
For those of us using the product for academic study, and whom need to prepare for 2007-2008, what is the projected release date of version 3.0?

Thank you,

gabe
04-21-2007, 09:22 PM
We are making good progress with Alice 3.0 development; however, the only estimate we are comfortable giving as of now is that it will be released in 2008.

As soon as we have something more definitive, we will make an announcement.

The Alice Team

lanceA
04-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Thank you. That is good information.

At the start of next year we can continue with the material available for Alice 2.0.

Thanks again for the information.

lanceA
05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
A few questions:

1. 3.0 will be a more true Java product ?

2. Is the 3.0 IDE built upon the Eclipse IDE and will you be able to switch between drag-and-drop versus typing syntax ?

3. You can write your own classes ?

4. Polymorphism and Inheritance will be a part of 3.0 ?

I'm just wondering :)

Thanks,

gabe
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Courtesy of Randy and Dennis:

Alice v3.0 is still under development, but here is what we can tell you now:

The "programming language" of Alice v3.0 will be Java. Said another way,
Alice v3.0 is an IDE for Java that has been optimized for learning to
program. If teachers want to use Alice v3.0 with a "totally keyboard based
experience," they can do that. We will provide a drag-and-drop interface, similar to Alice v2.0, which will be able to display the code either as Java, or in a more simplified form, like the current Alice v2.0 default presentation.

Therefore, the "Alice v3.0 experience" can feel very much like the Alice v2.0 experience. Whether one is typing or drag-and-dropping, Alice v3.0 will read, write, and execute real Java programs, so one can mix & match a typing or drag-and-drop experience.

Currently, Alice v2.0 worlds are rather large, as each world contains the 3D geometry and texture maps for all its objects. Since the typical Alice v3.0 world/program will reference the grand majority of its 3d content from the gallery, most Alice v3.0 worlds/programs will be tiny; just the Java source code and any external media (e.g. custom sound files).

Alice v3.0 will provide mechanisms to control the 3D characters from the Sims, which EA has graciously provided. Students will be able to control Sims characters whether they use drag-and-drop or type to create their worlds/programs.

Regarding any language questions such as "can you write your own classes?"
and "will polymorphism and inheritance be a part of v3.0?"
the answer is "Alice v3.0 is a Java IDE which creates Java programs, so you can do anything Java can do." Some of those things may require typing as opposed to drag-and-drop; that will depend on design decisions that are currently in process.

Darkpivot
07-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a question about v3 also. Since it will be java based will it be able to make a multi-player online game with it. Where you can embed the game into a website and have other people be able to log on and interact with other players?

islandfever
07-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I have a question about v3 also. Since it will be java based will it be able to make a multi-player online game with it. Where you can embed the game into a website and have other people be able to log on and interact with other players?

Nice idea. That would be great, I hope so! :D

marriott
08-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Many thanks for the updated info.

Is there an updated expected release date? The last one I know of was the 18-24 month projection. Will it be ready for the 2008-09 school year?

Also, will v3 be such a radical IDE change that the current "Learning to Program with Alice" book will be inapplicable?

Thanks!

gabe
08-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Creating interactive games that can be accessed from a webpage should be well within the capabilities of Alice 3.0. As for multiplayer capabilities, that is currently undecided.

gabe
08-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Many thanks for the updated info.

Is there an updated expected release date? The last one I know of was the 18-24 month projection. Will it be ready for the 2008-09 school year?

Also, will v3 be such a radical IDE change that the current "Learning to Program with Alice" book will be inapplicable?

Thanks!

We are still working towards a 2008 release date. As soon as we have something more definite, I will make an announcement on the site.

Alice 3.0 will have a drag and drop interface as well as a hand coding interface. This, compounded with the Sims characters, who behave in such a drastically different way to the current models, will make current texts very difficult to teach with.

DrJim
08-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Alice 3.0 will have a drag and drop interface as well as a hand coding interface. This, compounded with the Sims characters, who behave in such a drastically different way to the current models, will make current texts very difficult to teach with.

Given this and the still uncertain timeframe for Alice 3.0 release, have you taken another look at making an interim Alice 2.x release? It would not necessarily have to be a major change, but just with some of the more annoying problems of Alice 2.0 fixed and the movie generation capabilities from Georgia Tech integrated in?

This would also give the existing texts another couple of terms of useful life while the new ones become available - it's not going to be a cheap change for many schools. I'm also sure figuring out how to integrate the change from 3.0 to Java into an overall program is going to take some time - it didn't seem like this was really worked out well until about the third text for 2.0.

DickBaldwin
08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
My vote would be to continue charging ahead with v3.0 and to do everything possible to release it in first quarter 2008 (ready for use in the summer semester of 2008), and not to divert any effort to repair the problems in 2.0.

We have learned to live with the problems in 2.0 and can continue to live with them for a few more semesters.

I consider the availability of a fully object-oriented version of Alice to be a much higher priority than the fixing of a few problems in the current version.

Of course, if the resources are available to accomplish both, that would be the best of all worlds.

Dick Baldwin

DrJim
08-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Since the last question was in my posting, I probably should add that I have no opinion either way. I'm prefectly happy to wait for the team to "get it right" with ver. 3.0 and live with 2.0 in the meantime - furstrating though it may be at times.

Note: In this case, by "get it right" I mean that the Alice team feels it has met it's own goals in terms of material covered, functionality, reliability, teachability, etc. They have stated these fairly clearly in earlier posts - if it takes more time for the team to meet enough of these goals to feel satisfied with the resuts - it takes more time.

Fulkrum
08-19-2007, 10:52 PM
if it takes more time for the team to meet enough of these goals to feel satisfied with the resuts - it takes more time.:D

I couldn't agree more.

Perhaps because I'm overseas and it has not made it here yet, or perhaps because I am new to posts and haven't noticed any announcements, but is v3 out now that it's Fall 2008?

DickBaldwin
08-19-2007, 11:34 PM
OK, I'll take the bait.

In what country overseas is it 2008 already. According to the date that appears down on the bottom right corner of my screen, it's still 2007 in the USA.

Dick Baldwin

alizia
05-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Hey! So even the first quarter of 2008 has passed. Can Gabe or anyone else give an idea about the release date of Alice 3 now?

gabe
05-17-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=alice3_progress_report

Fiskejohn
11-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Awesome :) Looking forward to it a lot :)

CASH
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
For those of us using the product for academic study, and whom need to prepare for 2007-2008, what is the projected release date of version 3.0?

Thank you,

hi i am looking for help on a project for collage need to make a game no any place i could get help

AISV
11-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi! How about an update to the 10 month old Press Release?

depasqua
03-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Given that some of us were unable to go to SIGCSE and hear the latest, it would be really, really nice for the team to provide some official update on the progress and intended release milestones for all to hear/see. I've heard a variety of things form those returning from SIGCSE, but as this thread points out, there's a very, very old press release on the front of the site that really could stand someone's time to refresh it.

Please please please consider updating us all and not burying it in forum post or other blog. Thank you.

MrMoke
03-29-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm currently scheduled to attend the presentation to be held at Texas A&M Corpus, and would like to know a few things in advance, or at least get these questions out for the presenters to address in the meeting. Maybe we should start another thread to contain specific questions that need to be answered during the conferences.

1) Has anyone addressed the need for updated textbooks that address the differences between 2.x and 3.x versions?

2) Are Alice 2.x worlds going to be backward compatible with Alice 3.x worlds, or will we have to start over and recreate all of our teaching examples from scratch? (I only ask because this would be a mandatory requirement in the business world)

3) Will Alice 3.x only work with NetBeans, or will we also be able to utilize other IDE's like Eclipse (which I presently use for all coding).

Any other questions that need to be addressed for the Summer meetings?:confused:

DrJim
03-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I really like the idea of a separate thread as you suggest :). However you or someone else who is actually going to the meeting should probably start it.

Re your questions:

1. There has been a new book by Dann, et al announced (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2387) that almost certainly will have to use Alice 3.0. What is a bit confusing is that I have also seen some material which implies that the recommended approach is to also continue to use Alice 2.0/2.2 for the more basic courses.

2. Just a comment - if backward compatibility is a "requirement" in the business world, somebody should tell Microsoft and Apple. Several of my favorite programs will no longer run under Vista :mad: and, while I'm not a Mac person, I understand OSX is fundamentally incompatible in some ways with OS9.

3. I hope you do get a answer to this question and the response is that Alice 3.0 is not tied into a specific IDE. Any other situation would certainly limit the programs usefulness - especially if the single IDE was NetBeans, which is NOT a tool for beginners.

On the other hand, I suspect that since Alice 3.0 seems to be being developed using NetBeans and with Sun's help - Net Beans will probably also be the tool of choice for "experts." (Of course, with the talk of IBM buying Sun - that situation may also change. My open suggestion - if they do merge - is to also merge Eclipse and NetBeans and call it "Big Blue Beans." :D )

MrMoke
04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the response. I understand that some work has been done to create a convertor, but it has a low priority. Would seem a shame to let the work of all of those CM contributors go by the wayside, but I haven't used 3.0 yet.

I'm taking Eclipse Ganymede to Corpus on my Laptop. For the basics, it has a one or two day learning curve for most of my high school students that can read, slightly longer for the others.

As far as the Eclipse/NetBeans combo thing; not such a good idea. Blue Beans give me CyberGas and KiloBloat.:D

DrJim
04-03-2009, 12:58 PM
As far as the Eclipse/NetBeans combo thing; not such a good idea. Blue Beans give me CyberGas and KiloBloat.:D

Sorry - but I'm basically a hardware guy, who's done some marketing. Thus, unfortuately, CyberGas/KiloBloat does have a nice ring to it. :eek:

I do think a separate thread for questions is a good idea. I'd really rather have someone else do it, but I'm willing to start one - can't say it's really hard.

Also, for what it's worth, Alice 2.0 did fairly nicely with importing stuff from Alice 1.0 - at least while the older formats were still supported. I don't think they will really abandon all the good stuff from 2.0 - though it may take a few tricks to import it.

cmonkey
03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Is there any word on a new release schedule?

jediaction
04-04-2010, 08:05 PM
They dont even have tutorials, Alice is ruined because of ALice 3. Its so different, its just like learning Alice ALL OVER AGAIN!

jediaction
04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Thats very good

x2495iiii
04-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Guy was just copying and pasting other peoples' posts as an excuse to advertise cigars!

jediaction
04-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Wow, thats BAD!

WhiteFang
06-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I have full understanding on that a complex project like Alice takes time. The lack of feedback is however a bit discouraging.

Like the poster above me asked - are there any recent news on the progress of Alice3? :confused:

With best regards.

jediaction
06-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Tell us what information you get