PDA

View Full Version : Alice will not load

stpatricks
12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi all,

I am attempting to configure Alice 2.2 for a school computer image which will be sent out to 100+ machines. These machines are running Windows 7 and will be on a domain with users logging into their restricted, non-admin accounts to access the software.

I can load Alice just fine in the local admin account but cannot get it to load for the restricted users. The error is given:

Alice version: 2.2 08/05/2011

java.lang.NullPointerException

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.SaveF orWebContentPane.guiInit(SaveForWebContentPane.jav a:238)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.dialog.SaveF orWebContentPane.<init>(SaveForWebContentPane.java:45)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.dialogInit(AuthoringTool.java:644)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.<init>(AuthoringTool.java:405)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice.main( JAlice.java:141)

Am I doing something wrong? I have assigned R/W permissions to the Alice directory yet the issue continues. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Stuart.

aikmin
12-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Alice is wanting to write to the users home directory. That is where Alice stores its cache and preferences file.

C:\Users\Alice\.alice2

The other thing you can try is to add the path (with read and write permission - like a network drive) to your version file

C:\Users\...\Alice 2.2\Required\etc\version.txt

2.2 12/01/2011
E:\USER_NETWORK_DRIVE