PDA

View Full Version : Kill the scarecrow game

dakota95
01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
This is the first game that I have made that I like. Your character is a farmer with a .22 rifle. You have a 20 round magazine. That you can reload when it is empty. The scarecrow has 10 health points and you have to kill him before he reaches you(although I havent made anything happen yet when he does).

Controls:
move- W,S,A,D
Turn- Left and Right arrow keys.
Shoot/Stab- Space bar
Jump - up arrow
Reload - R
Sight in gun the gun- E
Switch weapons - Q

Please leave any comments

Update 2.0:Has a pitchfork weapon, Health, and scarecrow doesnt die if he is near you. Still does not have any object detection for anything other than The fences. I will work on the detection soon. With the pitch fork you have to use space to attack him. If you don't, nothing will happen. Now with music. The song is the "Indiana Jones" main theme.

GameKid
01-20-2012, 12:03 AM
The scarecrow has 10 health points and you have to kill him before he reaches you(although I havent made anything happen yet when he does)

He dies when he reaches you. Also, I can still go through the barn and the house. I think you should work on this a bit more.

sfunk
01-20-2012, 07:01 AM
I haven't played this, since I really don't have much time to download anything then play it, but my guess is you used the bullet technique of using an actual object move forward? if it is, then an easy way to make it so the object doesn't kill the scarecrow when it gets close to your character is to use a boolean variable, and an if/else statement, have the bullet object hurt the scarecrow if the variable is true. so when your character shoots you would have to have the variable turn true at the beginning of your shooting method then have it set false after the object moves forward. And if you didn't use that technique for bullets then ignore this haha

dakota95
01-20-2012, 08:07 AM
ya I did. I didn't think of what you said. That will work great, and I'll change it soon. Thanks. And thank you for your Alice tutorials on YouTube. I used the first tutorial to make my reload, and scarecrow health functions. And another thing that I will work on is the camera turning. I couldn't think of a way to get the camera to turn Forward or backward. I mean I could, but then if you walked and the camera was tilted too far back then you would seems into the air, and visa-verse. Then it while I was thinking about it yesterday I came up with a way to do this.

I will add more scarecrows soon, and a health bar for the shooter. And I will make more weapons.

dakota95
01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
He dies when he reaches you. Also, I can still go through the barn and the house. I think you should work on this a bit more.

I will work on object detection soon. I already have it for the fence, and I will soon make it for the house and barn.
And I will make sfunks suggestion aswell.

dakota95
01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Update 2.0 posted.

@Game kid - It still has no object detection, but I will get around to that soon

@Sfunk - I Made it so that you cannot kill the scarecrow without shooting, or stabbing him. I also made it so that he can kill you.

Please leave any other comments, and I will change what I can.

jediaction
01-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, The second version is un-able to load so I'm reviewing the first version.

jediaction
01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Well, The second version is un-able to load so I'm reviewing the first version.

Feedback...

Pros:

Nice Control System
Good Use of Enviroment

Cons:

No Sound
No Reloading Animation
Iffy AI
No Collisions

Overall

60/100 by Chrome Games
GOOD

I know you have a second version of this game, but I'm not going to complain about the scarecrow not killing me because you state it is fixed in the second version. I do still have to complain about the collisions though. I wish the field of view of the camera was a bit wider to. The texts above the scarecrows head is nice, but I wish it had more of an effect so I would know exactly when he was getting hit. You should look at some of my newer games for little detail references, like, whenever the enemy is hit, he turns red for 0 seconds and then fades back to normal .25 seconds. Over all, the game needs to have more life and more effects to make it just plain interesting. It's a good start, and if you added more features, this game will be a hit.

dakota95
01-21-2012, 08:11 AM
I have a reloading animation in the second one, and I will try to put the second one up again, to see if that works. I like your idea about the fading red when shot. How would I make a better AI because that is about as good as I can get it to work.. I'll work on sounds to. The reason why I don't like to use sounds is that it freezes my computer when I try.. Like I said, I will soon get the collisions. Thanks for the review, and the comments.

jediaction
01-21-2012, 05:39 PM
No Problem. I love reviewing games.

dakota95
01-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Ok, I have fixed the problem. Now 2.0 also has a few sound effects.

@Jediaction - Will you please review the newer version?

jediaction
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes.

sfunk
01-27-2012, 07:42 AM
well I don't do ratings or such, but I will try to point out some negatives and positives and give advice.

Important: just because I say there are negatives,doesn't mean it's the end of the world, they are just issues that need to be worked on.

Negatives
1.) lackluster amount of AI (enemies)
2.) lack of scenery
3.) gun was able to keep shooting after being empty
4.) the controls were very awkward (unorganized feeling)

Positives
1.) this is a good start for a new user to alice
2.) had health and bullet counters that worked decently well
3.) Had a decent AI(enemy) which wasn't to fast or slow and caused damage
4.) Had multiple weapons
5.) Good start to a game that could get better

Advice: At an overall glance, this was not a bad start to an alice game for a new user. There were some strong points and weak points. So some advice I would like to give is to try to add more scenery(remember objects off in a distance can give a satisfying feeling that it's an actual filled world and not a blank canvas) And try making the controls a little less awkward(or cramped) instead of having your "a" and "d" button move side to side(or strafing) and have those two keys be your keys to turn side to side. This puts all the basic movements of your character to one hand, which allows the other hand to be used to switch weapons or jump etc.. And lastly, make sure to have all your methods done fully so they don't allow glitches (such as the gun being able to keep firing after having an empty clip)

jediaction
01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Well it's nice to see a load of members take on the reviewing. I think it's a good idea that more people are reviewing. It gives the creators a lot more feedback than a normal post.

Feedback...

Pros:

Great Music
Fun
Decent AI
Collisions

Cons:

Lacking Gun Sound Effects
Short
Not very interesting

Overall

55/100 by Chrome Games
DECENT

Alright, it has improved since your last version but it could still use a lot of work. The Indiana Jones Theme Song worked, but the lack of gun sounds was very obvious. The collisions for the Scare Crow prevented it from even getting near me. it glitched out to if I went to a certain position. The fun only lasts about a minute or so untli I feel like closing the game because there is no challenge.

dakota95
01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Well it's nice to see a load of members take on the reviewing. I think it's a good idea that more people are reviewing. It gives the creators a lot more feedback than a normal post.

Feedback...

Pros:

Great Music
Fun
Decent AI
Collisions

Cons:

Lacking Gun Sound Effects
Short
Not very interesting

Overall

55/100 by Chrome Games
DECENT

Alright, it has improved since your last version but it could still use a lot of work. The Indiana Jones Theme Song worked, but the lack of gun sounds was very obvious. The collisions for the Scare Crow prevented it from even getting near me. it glitched out to if I went to a certain position. The fun only lasts about a minute or so untli I feel like closing the game because there is no challenge.

it does have gun sound effects.

dakota95
01-30-2012, 12:59 PM
ya, its not very interesting so I am going to stop working on it. I already have another helicopter game that I worked on over the weekend that has levels and upgrades so I'll post that and then try out something else.