PDA

View Full Version : My First Object

dakota95
03-07-2012, 09:01 AM
This is actually my 3rd but it is the first one that I thinkis pretty cool. It is Clouds sword from final-fantasy. It is untextured. The pivot Point is centered in the middle of the handle so it rotates well.

dakota95
03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Here is another object/map that I found on sketchup. It is an untextured Blood Gulch from the origional Halo. It is very roughly made but it looke good enough. Since it is untextured and does not have any sub-parts I just applied a greenish collor to it.

dakota95
03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Here is the millennium falcon from StarWars.

dakota95
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
And a Cessna172 Skyhawk.

x2495iiii
03-07-2012, 08:00 PM
All of these beans are quite cool.

Many thanks, dakota.

dakota95
03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the comment. As soon as I figure out how to make sub-parts then I'll try and remake these and make them better but for now I can only convert the objects as a whole.

sfunk
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the comment. As soon as I figure out how to make sub-parts then I'll try and remake these and make them better but for now I can only convert the objects as a whole.

not too hard to do, unless you want a to make them have a good axes as well, just break the object into different material(if using blender). to do this, highlight the faces you want to make one part, then click material in the material tab, and add a new one and assign, which makes those faces their own object once converted

dakota95
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
....um......computing.........errrr........ Ya. Could you please explain it a little more? Mabey make a tutorial video?

sfunk
03-09-2012, 06:42 AM
I would suggest trying to familiarize yourself with blenders interface if you plan on making sub-parts, since you're more than likely going to have to alter the objects a bit as well. here are a few guides/ walk throughs I typed up for other members to get started with blender, once you have a hang of these basics, then what I said previously will make since(or if it doesn't i'll make another post on here step by step on how to do it.

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6353&highlight=blender

sfunk
03-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Okay, now since you have familiarized yourself with blender, here are the steps you should take to making a sub-part.

1. go into edit mode, and select the faces that you would like to make it's own sub-part.

2. hit the letter "P" on your keyboard.This will bring up a drop-down menu. click on "selection"

3. This will cause the faces you selected to become it's own data block(object)

4. Now get out of edit mode and select(right-click) the object that you just separated from the main object then go back into edit mode.

5. now on the right side of the screen is a tool bar.

6. now make sure all of your object is highlighted (press "A") until your object turns orange.

7. while the object is highlighted, click on the plus sign by the empty box (that is shown in the picture)

8. Then click "New" which is below that empty box.

9.This gives that sup-part you created a material which makes it it's own object that when converted into alice, allows it to be used as a sub
-part.

Side-note: Steps 1-3 are not necessary, However, if you want to make a good axis for that sub-part, this is needed so you can move this object to align it's axis properly inside of blender.

dakota95
03-09-2012, 07:51 AM
I understood it all but, for some reason blender will not let me select faces. When I try to select something all it does is move the cross-hairs to the spot that I clicked on. Are there no sub-parts in these objects? It just tries to select the object as a whole instead of as parts.

dakota95
03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
I would suggest trying to familiarize yourself with blenders interface if you plan on making sub-parts, since you're more than likely going to have to alter the objects a bit as well. here are a few guides/ walk throughs I typed up for other members to get started with blender, once you have a hang of these basics, then what I said previously will make since(or if it doesn't i'll make another post on here step by step on how to do it.

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6353&highlight=blender

WOW. Thats great. Thanks. Im not sure if it works yet but Im reading it all and its pretty cool.

sfunk
03-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I understood it all but, for some reason blender will not let me select faces. When I try to select something all it does is move the cross-hairs to the spot that I clicked on. Are there no sub-parts in these objects? It just tries to select the object as a whole instead of as parts.

That is why I said you should familiarize yourself with blender, and when you select faces and verts or edges, you have to right click, not left click whiole inside of edit mode

WOW. Thats great. Thanks. Im not sure if it works yet but Im reading it all and its pretty cool.
Hope it helps you out some

dakota95
03-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Could you post a .zip file for your collada import/export and you .ase impot/export. Cause it looks like you are using blender 2.62 and I couldnt find any import stuff for importing from 2.62 to .ase. The version I am using right now is 2.44 but I'd like to start using 2.62 since it is newer and probably works better.

sfunk
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Could you post a .zip file for your collada import/export and you .ase impot/export. Cause it looks like you are using blender 2.62 and I couldnt find any import stuff for importing from 2.62 to .ase. The version I am using right now is 2.44 but I'd like to start using 2.62 since it is newer and probably works better.

I actually use blender 2.58 just go to http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/ if you want the newest version of blender. and I use biturn to convert my models, not an export script.

EDIT: also with blender, newer isn't always better, they are usually beta testing most of their versions they put out, which they want people to give feed back so they can continue updating the version of it, that's why they have so many versions of blender out there

dakota95
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
what is bitburn? Is it a download?

sfunk
03-10-2012, 02:37 AM
what is bitburn? Is it a download?

it's a download, however, it is called Biturn, make sure to read a little more carefully or if not, you'll end up downloading something incorrect or probably harmful

dakota95
03-10-2012, 08:10 AM
it's a download, however, it is called Biturn, make sure to read a little more carefully or if not, you'll end up downloading something incorrect or probably harmful

Oh. Thanks for the heads up.

I downloaded biturn, but it is in .rar and my computer will not open it.
Now what?

nevermind. I googled it and then installed a program to extract the .rar

dakota95
03-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Now I have another problem. Most of the objects that I convert, when I pull them into alice, alice will say "error loading the scene" When I try tho reload it, it does it again. So then I just have to exit out of alice and try again, and it will do the same thing.

Mr Kidnapper
03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Copypasta error logs?

sfunk
03-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Now I have another problem. Most of the objects that I convert, when I pull them into alice, alice will say "error loading the scene" When I try tho reload it, it does it again. So then I just have to exit out of alice and try again, and it will do the same thing.

make sure you are converting them to .ASE with biturn, then you have to go to file>import>object.ASE, then you have to right click the object inside the object tree to save it, which saves it as a .a2c which this is the file type it needs to be able to have it inside the gallery to be able to to pull it into alice without a throwable error.

Side-note: after converting the .obj to a .ASE, open the .ASE file inside of microsoft word, while inside here, hit Ctrl+f which brings up the find command in Word, click on the tab that says "Replace" then type in "tga" inside the "find what" and type in "jpg" inside the "Replace with"

then click on the "Find" tab and type in "name"

and it will show where the name's are located throughout the file, if there are any empty name ""... you have to fill the empty "" so it will look something like name"blahblah" and that should fix your problems, if not x,myself, and another member named king or something like that all made videos on how to convert an object properly, mine though is the only one with sound to help guide through. good luck

dakota95
03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Will do. Ill try it when I get home. I am at best-buy on one of there laptops so I cannot do it at the moment.

sfunk
03-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Awesome. let me know how it goes, and if you still have trouble, just give a shout out

dakota95
03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Copypasta error logs?

ok, I'll do that tomorrow.

12hr. or so.

dakota95
03-12-2012, 08:07 AM
This airplane that I am trying to convert has 3942 pages in microsoft word. Is something wrong? And it has no tga anywhere in it.

Here is the error:
Alice version: Dakota's Custumized

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: There is an undefined error condition.
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.scenegraph.renderer.direct x7renderer.RenderTargetAdapter.render(Native Method)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.scenegraph.renderer.native renderer.RenderTarget.clearAndRenderOffscreen(Rend erTarget.java:109)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.scenegraph.renderer.native renderer.OnscreenRenderTarget.clearAndRenderOffscr een(OnscreenRenderTarget.java:60)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.scenegraph.renderer.native renderer.RenderCanvas.paint(RenderCanvas.java:61)
at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paintComponent(RepaintArea.jav a:248)
at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(RepaintArea.java:224)
at sun.awt.windows.WComponentPeer.handleEvent(WCompon entPeer.java:310)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.jav a:4727)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:44 81)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.j ava:643)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:84)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:602)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:600)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:98)
at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:616)
at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:614)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectio nPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 613)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(E ventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:169)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:161)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:122)

sfunk
03-12-2012, 08:51 AM
This airplane that I am trying to convert has 3942 pages in microsoft word. Is something wrong? And it has no tga anywhere in it.

Here is the error:
Alice version: Dakota's Custumized

looks like it might just be to much for the render to handle, but I am not a hundred percent sure

dakota95
03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Thats probably right cause I can convert small objects and they work fine. Its just the ones with multiple sub-parts that mess it up.

Maymon
03-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Amazing objects! Thank you!

dakota95
03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Your welcome. If you like them there is a model of spyro the dragon in the thread called spyro.

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=47339#post47339

dakota95
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
looks like it might just be to much for the render to handle, but I am not a hundred percent sure

Tested this and, nope, its not. I got an object half the size of an object that I converted that I know works and it still blacked it out. And said the same error.

The attached is one of the such objects that sends an error report. You can try it and see if it does the same on your computer. Then the zip is the word document so that you can see what it looks like.

sfunk
03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
didn't work in mine either, I took a look at the zip file, and it looks like there was a scene (some sort of animation or armuture i'm guessing) that is causing the error becuase when it was converted that was put in with the object information as well. that's just my guess though

dakota95
03-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Is there any way to get around it? Like deleting that part out of the object scene? For some reason all the other objects I've converted also have that. Yet they still work.

jediaction
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Many Models to review.:D

dakota95
03-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Well the only one worth reviewing is the sword, and it has no textures. The others all have their axis WWWAAAAAYYYYY off.

jediaction
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Alright, I'll remember that.

sfunk
03-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Is there any way to get around it? Like deleting that part out of the object scene? For some reason all the other objects I've converted also have that. Yet they still work.

im not sure then, if I had the actual .blend or sketchup(not sure where you got it from) I could get a better understanding

dakota95
03-15-2012, 07:49 AM
I got them from the links that x has in his computer programming sticky in the how do i... section.

dakota95
03-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Here is an astroid

jediaction
03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
It's a ball of poo!

x2495iiii
03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
And jed's an expert on poo.

Just look at his games.

sfunk
03-20-2012, 06:05 AM
and jed's an expert on poo.

Just look at his games.

ohhhhh snap!!!!

sfunk
03-20-2012, 07:05 AM
I got them from the links that x has in his computer programming sticky in the how do i... section.

not the applications, but the model that you used, when it was in it's original form of .blend or .sketchup

dakota95
03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
not the applications, but the model that you used, when it was in it's original form of .blend or .sketchup

I got them all from sketchup.

sfunk
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I got them all from sketchup.

that could be one of your big problems there, a lot of the models found on sketchup tend to be made very poorly (which makes it not to nice for the conversion process)