PDA

View Full Version : Robotron Like Game (need some help)

zero00
05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I've been playing more arcade games and I came across a game called "Robotron: 2084", a twin-stick shooter. I wonder if I could make something like that.
I modified my one of my Sky Warrior worlds. The ship can now fire in eight directions by using the WASD keys! :D
There are also "power ups" that increase your firepower (mostly functional) and shields (not very functional) and add to your score.

Problem though, if you press WASD keys rapidly, the bullets gradually don't come back, and eventually you can't fire. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. :( If anyone can help, that would be great!

(I think the issue may be in the code that turns the bullets around)

zero00
05-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Never mind, I fixed it. Granted, the solution seems a bit expensive to me, but it works! :P

Instead of rolling the bullets accordingly, I added 8 positions for the bullets to move to before they are fired. A bit clunky, but it works.

x2495iiii
05-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Here's my own take on the twin stick mechanic. Simple stuff.

zero00
05-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Made some more changes to the games. Here they are!

=============Changes/Additions==========

Enemy Bullet Shooting object added. It can have up 24 bullets on screen. All of its bullets are being fired from Urchin Force. Press "1" to shoot bullets at yourself. :P
Urchin Force death animation
Placeholder Health Meter
Shrunk the player and their bullets. Made Urchin Force huge. (May be changed in the future)
Some sounds added
Weapons make different sounds, and do different amounts of damage. Shields functional
Other Stuff...

Not sure how well this thing is going to work on your computers...

(Incidentally, my friend has brought up the idea of a giant boss fight that would basically be a stage in itself. Not sure if it would work, but it would be interesting.... :D)