PDA

View Full Version : Alice in languages other than English

edem
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I want to help with a workshop to initiate young kids to programming by using Alice in French-spoken Africa. The language being however a potential barrier, I was wondering if there is any way to have the Alice software menu in French.

Mr Kidnapper
07-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes. This is possible.
In your "Alice 2.2\Required\resources" folder there is a .py file called Alice Style.
It contains all of the Alice functions and method names in English. To translate this you simply need to change the strings in the quotation marks.
I recommend you use a program called Notepad++ to edit these files.
In Notepad++, the strings will be grey.
For example, if I were to translate a string to Japanese:
Before

edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserF orNumber : "ask user for a number <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserY esNo : "ask user for yes or no <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserF orString : "ask user for a string <<question>>",
After

edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserF orNumber : "ユーザーから数に聞く <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserY esNo : "ユーザーから「はい」と「いいえ」に聞く <<question>>",
edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.core.question.ask.AskUserF orString : "ユーザーからストリングにきく <<question>>",
And save it.

Some things to take note of are:
Leave the quotation marks in there
Don't change anything with arrows ("<" ">") or brackets "[" "]" around it.

To edit the Alice tutorial, they are located in "Alice 2.2\Required\tutorial"
as .stl files.
These .stl files are written in XML style.
Before:
<stencil title="About the Alice Tutorial" stepsToGoBack="1">
<stateCapsule>
<![CDATA[existantElements|?|nonExistantElements|?|propertyV alues|?|elementPositions|?|]]>
</stateCapsule>
<note type="null" hasNext="true" xPos="0.006782945736434108" yPos="0.0945945945945946">
<id>
<![CDATA[null]]>
</id>
<message>
<![CDATA[Welcome to the Alice Tutorial! This tutorial will introduce you to the basics of Alice.]]>
</message>
<message>
<![CDATA[Click "next" to move to the next step in the tutorial.]]>
</message>
</note>
</stencil>
After:
<stencil title="アリスのチュートリアルについて" stepsToGoBack="1">
<stateCapsule>
<![CDATA[existantElements|?|nonExistantElements|?|propertyV alues|?|elementPositions|?|]]>
</stateCapsule>
<note type="null" hasNext="true" xPos="0.006782945736434108" yPos="0.0945945945945946">
<id>
<![CDATA[null]]>
</id>
<message>
<![CDATA[アリスのチュートリアルにようこそ!このチュートリアルはアリスの初歩にしょうかいします。]]>
</message>
<message>
<![CDATA[続けるために「次へ」をクリックして下さい]]>
</message>
</note>
</stencil>
Continues in similar style.

djslater107
07-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Previous posts do a very nice job of explaining the process of changing Alice to other languages, but note that these modifications will not affect the gallery. Each model in the gallery, and each of the model's sub-parts has to be individually translated.

For those who would be interested in taking on this task, let me know and I can send you a document explaining the process.

August 3 we will be releasing new version of Alice, Alice 2.3, which has a Spanish language option. This means that you will be able to use Alice in Spanish by choosing an option in preferences. Thanks to our partners in Costa Rica, the gallery will also be in Spanish.

Let us know if you would

edem
07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
I would be interested to help translate Alice in French. Feel free to email me if there is such project in the works.

Previous posts do a very nice job of explaining the process of changing Alice to other languages, but note that these modifications will not affect the gallery. Each model in the gallery, and each of the model's sub-parts has to be individually translated.

For those who would be interested in taking on this task, let me know and I can send you a document explaining the process.

August 3 we will be releasing new version of Alice, Alice 2.3, which has a Spanish language option. This means that you will be able to use Alice in Spanish by choosing an option in preferences. Thanks to our partners in Costa Rica, the gallery will also be in Spanish.

Let us know if you would