PDA

View Full Version : Gangnam Style in Alice

jediaction
09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I present, Gangnam Style in Alice....

I didn't spend as much time on this one as I did on the 5,000 post celebration so the hands on this one get messed up after 20 seconds into the video, but you get the idea....

InsertName
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I like it, it's very smooth, love the hand bounce.:D But if it runs for awhile the arms go through the head. Why is that?

GameKid
09-18-2012, 08:06 PM
I like it, it's very smooth, love the hand bounce.:D But if it runs for awhile the arms go through the head. Why is that?

It's set to infinitely turn in one direction, so of course it's going to be there at one point.

jediaction
09-18-2012, 10:19 PM

It's an Alice glitch that happens when you tell an object to move and turn at the same time. It never brings it back to the same place. Every time it moves, it is slightly off by probably .001 meters.

It's set to infinitely turn in one direction, so of course it's going to be there at one point.

Not really, it's an Alice glitch. It's been there for years. That's why making the 5,000 post celebration was so time consuming to make. I had to be careful that Alice didn't glitch out.

GameKid
09-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Not really, it's an Alice glitch. It's been there for years. That's why making the 5,000 post celebration was so time consuming to make. I had to be careful that Alice didn't glitch out.
So you've encountered a lot of alice glitches too?
Did you see the one where an object gets kind of squished with the turn to face function, or the one where if you delete an object and then leave your computer alone for a while the deleted object's texture is the ground's texture when you get back?

jediaction
09-19-2012, 01:01 PM
So you've encountered a lot of alice glitches too?
Did you see the one where an object gets kind of squished with the turn to face function, or the one where if you delete an object and then leave your computer alone for a while the deleted object's texture is the ground's texture when you get back?

Yes, I have encountered that glitch as well. Mostly in my AI system. It occurs after a certain type of movement or something causes that issue. I don't delete the texture though, I don't have texture issues. I don't usually leave Alice opened un-attended.

GameKid
09-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Yes, I have encountered that glitch as well. Mostly in my AI system.
I actually made a fix for that; make a copy of the object and set a while the world is running event:

If (Your object here) width<(Copy of the object)'s width
Object resize 1.1 duration 0 seconds
Else
If (Your object here) width>(Copy of the object)'s width
Object resize 0.9 duration 0 seconds

Same thing for height. If you ever encounter that glitch again, give it a go.

jediaction
09-20-2012, 01:16 PM
I actually made a fix for that; make a copy of the object and set a while the world is running event:

If (Your object here) width<(Copy of the object)'s width
Object resize 1.1 duration 0 seconds
Else
If (Your object here) width>(Copy of the object)'s width
Object resize 0.9 duration 0 seconds

Same thing for height. If you ever encounter that glitch again, give it a go.

I think I actually tried that once, but it just goes out of control later on.

gangnam
09-21-2012, 02:34 AM
How did you get the arms to do that? I can't figure it out.

jediaction
09-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Careful timing. I make the arms go up and down, and then after a slight delay, the hands start moving so it looks like a more fluid animation.

gangnam
09-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Careful timing. I make the arms go up and down, and then after a slight delay, the hands start moving so it looks like a more fluid animation.

How did you get the arms to cross? I can't get the arms to to move. It usually comes off the body.

jediaction
09-22-2012, 07:56 PM
How did you get the arms to cross? I can't get the arms to to move. It usually comes off the body.

oh, that is because the model has very well done sub parts. The model is high quality, which is one reason I use it for my animations. It works the best so far.

David B
09-27-2012, 06:34 PM
What the heck is this anyway? I saw Saturday Night Live did something with it, but I had no idea what it was...

jediaction
09-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Gangnam Style? Look it up on YouTube and you'll see.

arty-fishL
09-28-2012, 12:10 PM
That's an interesting Psy / Master Chief cross breed you have there.

As for the glitches aforementioned, I would usually remedy character movements going off by never physically moving their parts, but by using poses instead. If you really have to move their parts, them dummies vehicled to the character are the best choice.

The "turn to face" resize glitch is really annoying. If the turn to face is to be done instantaneously, then "constrain to face" works without the resizing glitch, but it has no animation. A way I used of getting around the glitch before was by using basic trig in a function to calculate the angle between the objects and then having it turn the equivalent rotations; this can be quite useful for AI, because you can put variations on the angle and have a random uncertainty therefore.

jediaction
09-28-2012, 10:19 PM
I never used poses much. I never really found a use for them. Next time, I'll try using those. Thanks.

InsertName
09-30-2012, 10:43 AM
I never used poses much. I never really found a use for them. Next time, I'll try using those. Thanks.

You never use poses??? I always use them, that's how I make 90% of my animations.

A little example I made awhile ago using poses.

jediaction
09-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah, unfortunately. I never really had a reason to use them. That's very good. I'm surprised I never used them. Hopefully this will make all my animations much better.