PDA

View Full Version : Why is alice in the format that it is in?

beachbum111111
02-03-2013, 09:14 PM
I mean the worlds and models. I have never seen this format on any other program. Most modeling programs don't support it either. So my question is why did the Alice dev team choose this format even though most programs don't support it and it makes modeling for alice harder?

bob3584
02-03-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't know... Maybe to make it hard enough that someone wont make a video with something bad in it, because it won't be worth the time. Or maybe it runs more efficiently in ALICE than other file types do.

Check out my new version of physics at:

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=9881

djslater107
02-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Alice was originally developed in the '90s for the rapid prototyping of immersive 3D environments, those that used head-mounted displays, and special input devices, such as gloves. So the original formatting of Alice files had to be able to execute in those environments.

When Alice became a tool to support the teaching of introductory programming, the team wanted to take advantage of the hundreds of models that had already been developed, which meant that Alice had to retain that format.

Remember that the primary purpose of Alice is to teach introductory programming, through animation. It is not primarily an animation package such as Unity, and never will be. Different tools for different purposes.

Alice 3 is being designed to better support student creation of their own models, but it will never be a trivial process, as there will always be requirements the models will have to meet in inrder to execute in eth Alice environment.

bob3584
02-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Maybe... Or it could be a very well thought excuse!;)

fourbros
02-04-2013, 05:13 PM
It is not primarily an animation package such as Unity, and never will be. Different tools for different purposes.

Aw that's too bad.

bob3584
02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Hey Four, your Pokemon game wasn't bad.

fourbros
02-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey Four, your Pokemon game wasn't bad.

Thank you for the compliment. That game took me forever to make.

bob3584
02-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Has anyone checked my thread lately? Just wondering.