Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   Community News and Announcements (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Alice 3 is now in public beta (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2712)

gabe 06-01-2009 11:09 AM

Alice 3 is now in public beta

You can download it here:

[URL="http://alice.org/3"]http://alice.org/3[/URL]

It's still in heavy development, so please embrace it as a work-in-progress. :)

**6/10/09**
We currently have builds up for Mac OS X 10.5+ and Windows (32 bit). We are working on a version for Linux and 64 bit Windows.

Also, the NetBeans plugin is now available for download. This will let you import your Alice 3 worlds into the NetBeans IDE for editing and playback.

arty-fishL 06-01-2009 04:07 PM

I dont like it

:mad: I was good at programming in Alice 2, but Alice 3 is totally different. I don't understand the words, can't make anything work, and keep getting rendering errors when I try to do some things. How do you add events? what do the words used mean? I can't make the objects do as much, as there doesn't seem to be as many methods/procedures. I managed to work out how to move objects properly (using 1,2,3 and 4 buttons on keyboard), but it wasn't obvious. I can't find as much information on the objects as before, under properties, and if I try to change some of them I get a red preview screen saying "error in attempting to render screen". I don't know how to add variables or parameters, either in the single methods/procedures, or globally. I can select parts of objects to do procedures, but it is hard to find them and they are orginised into short names that make no sense. I much prefer Alice 2.2! There is no help as of yet!
On the other hand; Alice 3 looks much cleaner, plays much cleaner, works smoother and looks good with Sims 2 technology integrated, but the character movement list is very long, but I can't specify exactly what I want my person to do.
It seems quite complicated and I know nothing about Java code, I can only use Alice code. I have a whole new language to learn, just to use this program:confused:

MrMoke 06-01-2009 06:39 PM

Not Ready for Prime Time

Yeah, at some point you will probably have to start learning Java and OOP terminology.

This Beta, however, is not something I would want to start using in the classroom any time soon. I was hoping for a switch to 3.0 by next Fall, but I don't see that happening.

A simple manual might be helpful. I figured out where most of the stuff lives, but I may have missed a few things.

Some Things like: If you create a custom character that can do all the neat preprogrammed things, how do you teach it to do something it can't, like walk?:confused:

Also, I loaded it on a Vista machine. It was extremely crash-prone; I couldn't get anything done. Will try to follow-up with Windows XP testing this summer, but?

doudou 06-02-2009 09:30 AM

doudou likes it

There are a lot of full body outfit:p

HisWorld 06-02-2009 11:57 AM

This is great, I'm guessing the release follows the backup plan if a final version could not be completed by this summer. I had the original beta version released in Feb. but ran into multiple error's on any and ever action.

DrJim 06-02-2009 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=MrMoke;10405] This Beta, however, is not something I would want to start using in the classroom any time soon.

Also, I loaded it on a Vista machine. It was extremely crash-prone; I couldn't get anything done. Will try to follow-up with Windows XP testing this summer, but?[/QUOTE]

After my problems with 2.2, I didn't even bother to try with Vista - just went directly to my XP machine. It loaded relatively smoothly and has been [B][I]relatively[/I][/B] bug free so far. (It is still obviously Beta software.)

As far as classroom use goes - don't want to really comment in any detail since I'm not a teacher, but I would be interested in other opinions. I note that the current summer workshops are specifically covering Alice 2.2 [B][I]and[/I][/B] 3.0.

Based on a first look, it appears that some of the "easy" things you can do in 2.x are going to require a bit higher understanding of Java in 3.0. Not a bad thing for CS majors (to claim 2.0 is a really good way to teach OOP has always seemed a bit of a stretch) - but that might also be a bit of a "turn off" for an introductory course.

Phanatic 06-03-2009 08:01 PM

this is very very different, its def smoother but i have no idea whats going on

lanceA 06-04-2009 12:29 PM

NetBeans Plugin For Alice 3.0 Beta

Where do you get the plug-in module allowing NetBeans to edit Alice worlds? Dennis mentions it in his Alice Screencast.

I've been on NetBeans.org site and Sun's site and I am unable to locate it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jyby 06-04-2009 06:47 PM

Array Vizualisation

Heya all.

Downloaded and install Alice 3.0 Beta under a tablet PC with XP on it, it works great, and I like the new interfave, I will continue to test it.

I noticed the disapearance of the "Array Visualisation" object that I liked so much in Alice 2.0. Is it still planned (I can wait) or did it really disapear from the cursus (they maybe I will plan to do my own in Java when I get the time)?

Good work in any case,

JyBy

larslem 06-04-2009 06:54 PM

Seems like Alice is now a project under Sun's Project [URL="http://kenai.com/projects/alice"]Kenai[/URL]. And Netbeans [URL="http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/67/"]latest version[/URL] introduces integration with this Project Kenai. Read under Release Overview. I haven't had the time to test it, but I'm going to.

Lars

lanceA 06-04-2009 07:13 PM

As I understand it, Kenai, is a Cloud project. I am not into Cloud computing.

It's sort of like Big Brother having access to my files.

lanceA 06-04-2009 07:47 PM

I don't wish anyone to forget my original post.............

Where do I find the NetBeans plugin that allows me to edit Alice 3.0-Beta code?

Thank you,

gabe 06-05-2009 12:17 AM

[QUOTE=lanceA;10467]I don't wish anyone to forget my original post.............

Thank you,[/QUOTE]

The Alice Team is currently at JavaOne. I'll put the plugin online as soon as we get to Pittsburgh.

gabe 06-05-2009 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=DrJim;10416]After my problems with 2.2, I didn't even bother to try with Vista - just went directly to my XP machine. It loaded relatively smoothly and has been [B][I]relatively[/I][/B] bug free so far. (It is still obviously Beta software.)

As far as classroom use goes - don't want to really comment in any detail since I'm not a teacher, but I would be interested in other opinions. I note that the current summer workshops are specifically covering Alice 2.2 [B][I]and[/I][/B] 3.0.

Based on a first look, it appears that some of the "easy" things you can do in 2.x are going to require a bit higher understanding of Java in 3.0. Not a bad thing for CS majors (to claim 2.0 is a really good way to teach OOP has always seemed a bit of a stretch) - but that might also be a bit of a "turn off" for an introductory course.[/QUOTE]

Alice 3 is object oriented, so some things are going to be a bit more difficult than the instance-based Alice 2. However, this will make the transition to an object oriented language like Java a lot smoother. It's impossible to make everyone happy, but I think most intro CS instructors will embrace this and it will hopefully bring in some new converts.

Alice 2 and 2.2 will continue to be available on our website, but we are moving full steam ahead with Alice 3.

lanceA 06-05-2009 10:48 AM

[quote=gabe;10469]The Alice Team is currently at JavaOne. I'll put the plugin online as soon as we get to Pittsburgh.[/quote]

Thanks, Gabe

DrJim 06-05-2009 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=gabe;10469]The Alice Team is currently at JavaOne. I'll put the plugin online as soon as we get to Pittsburgh.[/QUOTE]

Thanks from me also. :)

Are plugins for any other IDE's planned? NetBeans has quite a steep learning curve.

gabe 06-05-2009 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=DrJim;10485]Thanks from me also. :)

Are plugins for any other IDE's planned? NetBeans has quite a steep learning curve.[/QUOTE]

We don't have immediate plans to create a plugin for other IDEs, but we do plan on creating a standalone Alice-to-Java converter that will allow you to view your Alice worlds in whatever IDE you want. No timeline is set, but it's all in the plans. The todo list is mammoth. :)

DrJim 06-06-2009 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=gabe;10496]We don't have immediate plans to create a plugin for other IDEs, but we do plan on creating a standalone Alice-to-Java converter that will allow you to view your Alice worlds in whatever IDE you want... [/QUOTE]

Even better. :) Thanks for the information.

ttkrakus 06-09-2009 03:04 PM

Group objects

Something I saw was missing in Alice is the ability of creating composite objects; objects created by combining other object. This would be a great addition to Alice. With this feature you can use Alice for creating new models (instead of the cumbersome process of creating and importing ASE files) with built-in features.

Please, if not for this release of Alice, consider this feature for future releases.... Thanks

cardsfan527 06-09-2009 07:00 PM

Still needs work...

The beta looks promising, with the very helpful SIMS characters and preprogrammed methods, but it continues to crash and remains very confusing. For now, I'm sticking with 2.2. Please check out my baseball home run derby game and comment at:

[url]http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2742&highlight=game[/url]

gabe 06-10-2009 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=lanceA;10467]I don't wish anyone to forget my original post.............
[/QUOTE]

The NetBeans plugin is now online. We have moved our Alice 3 beta downloads to Kenai. So for now, you can download from their host, which, if anything, should be faster and more stable than our server.

[URL="http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads"]http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads[/URL]

It works with NetBeans 6.5. For those of you with the newer 6.7 beta, we think it should work...it just hasn't been tested out. If someone can verify this, that would be great.

lanceA 06-11-2009 12:29 PM

[quote=gabe;10566]The NetBeans plugin is now online. We have moved our Alice 3 beta downloads to Kenai. So for now, you can download from their host, which, if anything, should be faster and more stable than our server.

[URL]http://kenai.com/projects/alice/downloads[/URL]

It works with NetBeans 6.5. For those of you with the newer 6.7 beta, we think it should work...it just hasn't been tested out. If someone can verify this, that would be great.[/quote]

Thanks Gabe,
I'm using NetBeans 6.5.1 at the moment. Once I install and have a day or two to play with the plugin I will attempt to download 6.7 beta and test it.

Thanks again for the posting !!:)

DrJim 06-11-2009 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=lanceA;10578]Thanks again for the posting !!:)[/QUOTE]

Let me add my thanks :) - somewhat qualified by the fact I guess I'm going to have to start figuring out NetBeans. :(

But that qualification is really minor compared to the fact this lets Alice 3 really display and use its full potential!!!

[I]Note: Just tried to download from the site and the only thing there right now is Alice 3 Beta.[/I]

lanceA 06-11-2009 02:57 PM

[quote=DrJim;10583]Let me add my thanks :) - somewhat qualified by the fact I guess I'm going to have to start figuring out NetBeans. :(

But that qualification is really minor compared to the fact this lets Alice 3 really display and use its full potential!!!

[I]Note: Just tried to download from the site and the only thing there right now is Alice 3 Beta.[/I][/quote]

Click on it Dr. Jim, and other downloads appear - including the plugin.

Gabe, I'm getting "Reference Problems" when opening an Alice Project in NetBeans. Are the only two jar files I need to add to my classpath JOGL.jar and GLUEGEN-RT.jar? I'm currently running Alice 3.0 from a C-drive and NetBeans from an F-drive. I've set up the proper paths to those two jar files.....I just need to know if I need to add additional classpaths to other jars? Thinks and sorry that I have to ask the question. :o

Dennis Cosgrove 06-11-2009 03:14 PM

NetBeans JOGL Plugin

In order to run Alice3 Java projects in NetBeans you will need to download and install the [URL="http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3260"]NetBeans JOGL Plugin[/URL].

lanceA 06-11-2009 03:40 PM

[quote=Dennis Cosgrove;10585]In order to run Alice3 Java projects in NetBeans you will need to download and install the [URL="http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3260"]NetBeans JOGL Plugin[/URL].[/quote]

Oh, ok and thank you. I will do it now.

DrJim 06-11-2009 05:10 PM

Thanks All. :)

Got everything but NetBeans itself - which is tomorrow's download/installation project.

Of course then I'll have to figure out what to do with it :rolleyes: - but glad to be in that position.

lanceA 06-11-2009 05:42 PM

[quote=Dennis Cosgrove;10585]In order to run Alice3 Java projects in NetBeans you will need to download and install the [URL="http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=3260"]NetBeans JOGL Plugin[/URL].[/quote]

That was the ingredient needed!! [B][U]IT WORKS!![/U][/B] Thank you!

I will keep you updated on my experiences.

Thanks again.

lanceA 06-11-2009 06:27 PM

[quote=lanceA;10591]That was the ingredient needed!! [B][U]IT WORKS!![/U][/B] Thank you!

I will keep you updated on my experiences.

Thanks again.[/quote]

[B][U]This is cool!!!![/U][/B]

If you do not teach you may not be able to appreciate it. If you do not know Java programming it might be a steep learning curve, but it is definitely cool!!!!!!!!!! GREAT job!!!!!

(It doesn't add anything to being able to create new Objects or importing Objects as far as I can see..............[U]but I just started playing with it toda[/U]y. ) Tomorrow I will try to use Java's reserved word [I][B]new[/B][/I] on an object.

But then again, it's supposed to be a Teaching Tool, right?

However this release [U]appears[/U] to add an entirely new dimension to teaching and being able to switch between environments. ( I will definitely begin to explore this more tomorrow.)

Just my 2˘

ttkrakus 06-12-2009 11:42 AM

Alice 3.0 + NetBeans + Wiimote

Well, this just got very interesting.

Try WiiuseJ...Have FUN!!:D

Find it in Google Code: [URL="http://code.google.com/p/wiiusej/"]http://code.google.com/p/wiiusej/[/URL]

lanceA 06-12-2009 12:29 PM

[quote=lanceA;10594][B][U]This is cool!!!![/U][/B]

If you do not teach you may not be able to appreciate it. If you do not know Java programming it might be a steep learning curve, but it is definitely cool!!!!!!!!!! GREAT job!!!!!

(It doesn't add anything to being able to create new Objects or importing Objects as far as I can see..............[U]but I just started playing with it toda[/U]y. ) Tomorrow I will try to use Java's reserved word [I][B]new[/B][/I] on an object.

But then again, it's supposed to be a Teaching Tool, right?

However this release [U]appears[/U] to add an entirely new dimension to teaching and being able to switch between environments. ( I will definitely begin to explore this more tomorrow.)

Just my 2˘[/quote]

Just for info, I created Dennis's chickenHop program in Alice 3.0. I then opened the project in NetBeans and successfully wrote the Java code to create ([I][FONT=Courier New]new[/FONT][/I]) a second instance of the Chicken class and sucessfully had this second object perform some basic tasks. :)

gabe 06-12-2009 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=lanceA;10603]Just for info, I created Dennis's chickenHop program in Alice 3.0. I then opened the project in NetBeans and successfully wrote the Java code to create ([I][FONT=Courier New]new[/FONT][/I]) a second instance of the Chicken class and sucessfully had this second object perform some basic tasks. :)[/QUOTE]

Lance, the NetBeans plugin is something we haven't worked on as extensively as the rest of the system, but it is on our todo list. Definitely let us know your thoughts and what features you'd like to see in the plugin that aren't there now.

lanceA 06-12-2009 12:56 PM

[quote=gabe;10604]Lance, the NetBeans plugin is something we haven't worked on as extensively as the rest of the system, but it is on our todo list. Definitely let us know your thoughts and what features you'd like to see in the plugin that aren't there now.[/quote]

Thanks Gabe, will do. Just for info:

I opened the chickenHop project in NetBeans again but this time I wanted to see if I could create an instance of a new object that was never placed in the project. [U]I now have two chicken objects and one cow object!![/U] I created an instance of the Cow object entirely through code in NetBeans. This continues to be very interesting.

Kudos to the Alice team!

scouprie 06-15-2009 03:30 PM

How do I import into Netbeans?

I can not figure out how to get my Alice file into NetBeans. I installed the Alice plugin from the Kenai page and the OpenGL download that was mentioned in an earlier posting. Now what do I do?

lanceA 06-15-2009 07:24 PM

[quote=scouprie;10633]I can not figure out how to get my Alice file into NetBeans. I installed the Alice plugin from the Kenai page and the OpenGL download that was mentioned in an earlier posting. Now what do I do?[/quote]
If you wish, post your email address in a prvt msg to me and I will send you a small write-up that I have done which describes the necessary steps to open Alice 3.0 files in NetBeans.

ttkrakus 06-17-2009 01:23 AM

Is there a Wiki for Alice?

How do you guys feel about creating one?

We could create one that uses Semantic Web to keep everything nicely organized

DrJim 06-17-2009 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=ttkrakus;10649]Is there a Wiki for Alice? [/QUOTE]

There is a spot for one at the same Kenai site that is now being used for downloads:
[url]http://kenai.com/projects/alice[/url]
At the moment, however, it seems to be empty.

lanceA 06-18-2009 02:34 PM

Today I successfully created a project in Alice 3.0 (beta), modified it by creating some new instances of Alice Objects using NetBeans, created a .jar file and saved it to disk. I then got out of Alice and NetBeans and successfully ran the jar file as a standalone application!! Who needs to video their Alice creations anymore ? :)

Not sure what will happen once we have the ability to add sound files.

I'll send the writeup as soon as I've completed it, DrJim.

[B][U]Nice job Alice 3.0 team!![/U][/B] ;)

DrJim 06-18-2009 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=gabe;10604]...the NetBeans plugin is something we haven't worked on as extensively as the rest of the system ... let us know your thoughts. [/QUOTE]

For something you “… haven't worked on … extensively,” the plugin is really nice. Following LanceA’s notes (very quick summary – “read the installation instructions, stupid”) I managed to load NetBeans and the plugin and successfully do (relatively minor) edits on Alice 3 methods in less than three hours :) – something I thought would take me several days.

Still some issues, of course, and I really haven’t tried anything complex – but that’s really due to my lack of Java skill.

I noticed Dennis in his blog mentioned talking to the Greenfoot/BlueJ team at Java One about joint efforts. Since I was taking the dive into NetBeans anyway, I decided to also load the BlueJ plugin. Just that is nice. The BlueJ stuff is both more mature and less complex than Alice 3 – but the basic approaches for the plugins seem similar – and it was nice to have intermediate steps with tutorials available.

lanceA 06-18-2009 05:50 PM

This continues to be interesting!

I have an icon on my Desktop which, when clicked, runs an Alice 3.0 program without requiring Alice. And yes, it takes some learning (I had to [I][FONT=Courier New]waste[/FONT][/I] 3 hours today learning how to do it! :)) but it is doable. Now I should be able to do it for other Alice projects in 2-3 mins.

(I use the term [I][FONT=Courier New][U]waste[/U][/FONT][/I] very loosely. It was a great learning experience!)