Alice Community

Alice Community (http://www.alice.org/community/index.php)
-   How do I...? (http://www.alice.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Passing Variables in a Recursive method (http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=6667)

gransalamandra 05-31-2011 08:38 AM

Passing Variables in a Recursive method

I'm experimenting with Alice to create a recursive method.

I created a frog that is supposed to say a Fibonacci sequence (10 levels using recursiveness). A Fibonacci sequence is 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, et cetera, where the two last numbers are added together to create the next number.

I created the recursive method and set two variables to record the current value and the next number, but I'm failing to pass the number to the variables.

I tried _FibNumber set value to (_FibNumber + _FibLastNumber) for the next iteration, did not work, I even tried with 3 variables but when I test, the variable doesn't change. Any ideas?

I even tried to pass a regular number value to the variables but it just keeps coming back with the original value of one

TauTrumpsPi 05-31-2011 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=gransalamandra;36708]I'm experimenting with Alice to create a recursive method.

I created a frog that is supposed to say a Fibonacci sequence (10 levels using recursiveness). A Fibonacci sequence is 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, et cetera, where the two last numbers are added together to create the next number.

I created the recursive method and set two variables to record the current value and the next number, but I'm failing to pass the number to the variables.

I tried _FibNumber set value to (_FibNumber + _FibLastNumber) for the next iteration, did not work, I even tried with 3 variables but when I test, the variable doesn't change. Any ideas?

I even tried to pass a regular number value to the variables but it just keeps coming back with the original value of one[/QUOTE]

If you post your world, I could probably be more help, but from your description it seems like you are using class-level variables instead of world-level. With a class-level variable it resets itself to its original value every time you play the method. Make your variables world level instead, see if that works.

gransalamandra 05-31-2011 04:45 PM

Tau: You are a genious

That worked... I pull the variables out to the world-level and it worked.

I have now a frog that calculates a Fibonacci sequence using a recursive method and also created another one that uses and Astronaut using iteration.

Is not homework, but I'm learning about programming concepts and the more you do, the more you understand.

Best regards,

Juan Primo :-)

TauTrumpsPi 05-31-2011 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=gransalamandra;36718]That worked... I pull the variables out to the world-level and it worked.

I have now a frog that calculates a Fibonacci sequence using a recursive method and also created another one that uses and Astronaut using iteration.

Is not homework, but I'm learning about programming concepts and the more you do, the more you understand.

Best regards,

Juan Primo :-)[/QUOTE]

Glad to help!

datgurlindia96 12-02-2015 08:40 AM

i need help keep getting a error

1 Attachment(s)
i cant get rid of the error and it wont calculate.

MrMoke 12-02-2015 12:58 PM

The purpose of a function is to return a value. The big problem I see is that you have created an endless string of calls to the same function.