View Single Post
Old
DrJim

Default 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoke View Post
This Beta, however, is not something I would want to start using in the classroom any time soon.

Also, I loaded it on a Vista machine. It was extremely crash-prone; I couldn't get anything done. Will try to follow-up with Windows XP testing this summer, but?
After my problems with 2.2, I didn't even bother to try with Vista - just went directly to my XP machine. It loaded relatively smoothly and has been relatively bug free so far. (It is still obviously Beta software.)

As far as classroom use goes - don't want to really comment in any detail since I'm not a teacher, but I would be interested in other opinions. I note that the current summer workshops are specifically covering Alice 2.2 and 3.0.

Based on a first look, it appears that some of the "easy" things you can do in 2.x are going to require a bit higher understanding of Java in 3.0. Not a bad thing for CS majors (to claim 2.0 is a really good way to teach OOP has always seemed a bit of a stretch) - but that might also be a bit of a "turn off" for an introductory course.