View Single Post
Sims content
Old
SheilaRuth

Default Sims content - 02-05-2007, 10:54 AM

This sounds really exciting, but will the programming environment be the same or similar? I know of several pre-teens, including my son, who are using Alice to learn programming, and while the improved graphics are welcome, I hope that they will still be able to use this to learn programming concepts, and that they won't have to learn a completely new interface. Alice is wonderful for allowing kids as young as 10 or so learn how to program, and I hope that it will continue to be a useful tool. If it just becomes another version of The Sims, then what's the point? Also, I'm concerned because The Sims includes some sexual content that is inappropriate for this age group, and I hope that the sexual content either won't be included or can be disabled.

I hope that the emphasis on improved graphics won't obscure the need for good and elegant programming tools as well. I personally would like to see some improvements in the programming tools, such as the addition of a case or switch statement to eliminate the need for inelegant multiple levels of nested if statements.