View Single Post
A Comment
Old
DrJim

Default A Comment - 05-16-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzler View Post
I need to use the "variable named" tile in order to access the variable of an object that has been passed in as a parameter.

Problem is, the "variable named" tile doesn't seem to work. No matter where I drag it, Alice won't let me drop it. How do I get this tile into my program?
This question, to me, illustrates the area where Alice documentation is completely lacking - namely there is no searchable technical reference document.

This seems like an easy question to answer - and also one that someone needing the answer shouldn't have to validate credentials as an "active teacher or considering using the textbook for a course" to have access to.

I've tried, however, for over 30 minutes to figure it out - without luck - and I have scanned all of the texts(3) I have and skimmed through Dick Baldwin's tutorials. (Note the last is the only one that is even searchable for key words.)

I haven't bothered to establish my "credentials" - but frankly I doubt it is on the http://www.aliceprogramming.net site, which by its own definition "provides PowerPoint slides, sample labs with concept questions, demo worlds, and solutions to coordinate the textbook and the Alice software" - so the "ask the instructor" answer probably also wouldn't work - even if you have an "instructor" - unless they just happened to have found the answer on their own (please post it if you have).