Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Depends on the machine. On a slow, outdated school computer I was able to handle a 20mb world with 4 full length songs on it (.mp3 format) without bugs or lag.

On my home computer, I can handle more, but I'm not sure how much more, as I usually keep my worlds under 20mb so I can post them.

My suggestion is to stay around 20 mb. Any larger is taking a gamble (with the risks being slowness, and possibly bugs like the ones you mentioned).

If you really like adding extra objects to your world and feel that large files are necessary, absolute maximum should be 60mb, with any offscreen objects' isShowing properties set to false.

(')>

Old
BenMcLean

Default 12-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy fly View Post
Are there bona fide Alice 2.0 or 2.2 bugs that can be used as homework handicaps?
Yes there are! I just got an A+ in my Alice class, but I think I'm the only one. Everybody else had homework late. Bugs in Alice plagued the entire class all semester. They can cause your program to be unsavable and/or corrupt/ruin existing work fairly easily, especially if you try a larger scale project. It's less of a virtual dog and more of a virtual hellhound of the Baskervilles.

Last edited by BenMcLean; 12-21-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Everyone has Bugs
Old
MrMoke

Cool Everyone has Bugs - 12-28-2009, 02:01 PM

I did encounter some unusually strange problems when attempting to use Alice 2.2 on a Vista Laptop, but they were mostly related to scrolling features in the IDE itself.
I have been testing 2.2 on a fresh install of Windows 7 that I built over the holidays, and it seems to be working very well. No problems so far.

In my classes I usually do what dejohnso suggests by adding a series number to the name as each new feature is completed. Makes it easier to use as sequenced presentations in following semesters. To minimize storage, I also limit the number of copies in the Backup folders to two, and regularly delete the backup folders for the lower sequenced versions.

fileName01.aw2 / no backup folder
fileName02.aw2 / backup folder with two backups max
etc...

Last edited by MrMoke; 12-28-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Crash
Old
Ayyamana

Lightbulb Crash - 01-07-2010, 09:02 PM

I've had a similar problem, which made me lose a project that used over five hours of my time.

My school's computers are messed up, and one froze while O tried to save this massive file.

I had to ctrl alt dlt it, and when I tried to open it up the next day, Alice couldn't read it.

The backup wasn't worth anything, it had the first five minutes of the file.

Moral of the story: Use e-mail to backup projects.