Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Can Alice be used to simulate 1-player Pong (2D)
Old
ElwoodPDowd

Default Can Alice be used to simulate 1-player Pong (2D) - 06-20-2007, 03:42 PM

I have some students for whom Alice might provide a good starting point for programming. I know they'd be very interested in developing "action" games, and would find it very motivational.
Is the Alice environment capable of being used to simulate the single-player pong game (2D)? The user would use up/down arrow to control a paddle on the left, and "block" a ball that bounces off the other three "walls". If the ball hits the paddle, it bounces. If the ball "hits" the left wall (misses the paddle), then the player loses a point.

Old
islandfever

Talking 07-14-2007, 12:13 PM

In Alice it is possible but probably hard-core programming (at least for me )
to randomize ball movements.

Possible Starting Point
Old
DrJim

Default Possible Starting Point - 07-14-2007, 01:01 PM

This is one application I'd suggest starting with Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/) first. There are several examples in the forum - both of Pong and of some "tennis" games. You can look at these first to get the ball movement and basic physics code right - then recode in Alice to get the 3D effects.

(If you're not familiar with Scratch - it's a simpler (free) program than Alice and aimed mainly at younger users. It uses the same "drag and drop" interface as Alice but it's strictly 2D and fairly limited in the command set it supports. Wouldn't recommend it as a primary tool for a programming course, but worth looking at for application ideas.)

Old
ShaunHBGAcad

Default 09-05-2007, 06:37 AM

I'm creating a pong game now. You'll be faking a lot of things, like collision detection, and the AI will be extrememly limited, but it is coming along nicely. I'll post a finished version here when it is done. Within a day or so.