Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Classroom Management Software and Alice
Old
kilpatrickg
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb Classroom Management Software and Alice - 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM

I would encourage the Alice development team to locate schools that are utilzing different computer lab management strategies/software. My biggest issue with Alice 2.0 is that it is very unfriendly to my computer lab management software in my high school classroom.

I have used Smart Technologies SynchronEyes (www.smarttech.com) software to broadcast presentations to my lab computers, as well as manage Internet access, send out files and share screens. The software will sometimes cause Alice to cause a critical error. Sometimes the students can save their work and restart Alice. Sometimes they lose what they have not saved.

I am testing Vision Classroom Managemenet software currently (www.genevalogic.com), and I am having many issues with Alice. Alice will close abruptly on student stations, causing them to lose all work. This happens when I broadcast my screen to students, as well when I disconnect the Vision software from their pc's.

I'm hoping that your beta testing environments will include sites that are utilizing computer lab management strategies from different manufacturers for compatibility testing.

Thanks.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
lanceA
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 11-19-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilpatrickg View Post
I would encourage the Alice development team to locate schools that are utilzing different computer lab management strategies/software. My biggest issue with Alice 2.0 is that it is very unfriendly to my computer lab management software in my high school classroom.

I have used Smart Technologies SynchronEyes (www.smarttech.com) software to broadcast presentations to my lab computers, as well as manage Internet access, send out files and share screens. The software will sometimes cause Alice to cause a critical error. Sometimes the students can save their work and restart Alice. Sometimes they lose what they have not saved.

I am testing Vision Classroom Managemenet software currently (www.genevalogic.com), and I am having many issues with Alice. Alice will close abruptly on student stations, causing them to lose all work. This happens when I broadcast my screen to students, as well when I disconnect the Vision software from their pc's.

I'm hoping that your beta testing environments will include sites that are utilizing computer lab management strategies from different manufacturers for compatibility testing.

Thanks.
I am not experiencing any problems using NetOp management software with Alice. However, I did use Synchroneyes software last year and I can confirm that Alice does not coexist well with it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
Fishman
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM

What do you all use for a behavior modification program? I mean if you have classroom discipline problems? Thanks
   
Reply With Quote
Old
lanceA
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
What do you all use for a behavior modification program? I mean if you have classroom discipline problems? Thanks
The post was about ensuring proper use of Lab computers - it had nothing to do with the links you posted.
   
Reply With Quote
LanSchool
Old
EricSkogen
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default LanSchool - 08-26-2009, 12:01 AM

I have used LanSchool with Alice for two academic years now and it has worked pretty well. I use it primarily as a way to restrict non-alice usage and therefore don't make full use of all of its features, but those I use work well.
   
Reply With Quote
LanSchool Works Well with Alice 2.0
Old
kilpatrickg
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default LanSchool Works Well with Alice 2.0 - 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSkogen View Post
I have used LanSchool with Alice for two academic years now and it has worked pretty well. I use it primarily as a way to restrict non-alice usage and therefore don't make full use of all of its features, but those I use work well.
I have since switched to LanSchool after testing various lab management software packages. It coexists well on my Windows network with Alice 2.0. I'm hoping that Alice 3.0 is vetted with these software packages before release.
   
Reply With Quote
Has anyone found a way to work around the problems
Old
hjussila
Junior Member
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Has anyone found a way to work around the problems - 03-15-2012, 12:11 AM

Has anyone found a way to work around the problems caused by the inability for the softwares to coexist? I am looking at running a lab with proper management software, but am afraid that it might not sit well with Alice.

Harri Jussila
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
classroom management, remote control, synchroneyes, vision

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Copyright ©2017, Carnegie Mellon University
Alice 2.x 1999-2012, Alice 3.x 2008-2012, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.