Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Weird issue on thin clients?
Old
theborland

Default Weird issue on thin clients? - 06-19-2014, 01:27 PM

I am a teacher and have used Alice 2.2 for the longest time. I have wanted to use 3 for sometime, but it never seemed to work well for me. I gave it another try this past week and still its not working right. The issue is in scene editor (or really anytime) if I try to drag and item around the screen (to move its location) I cant seem to select it. I always get the background (the this object). If the object is large enough, I can sometimes get lucky if I select the exact center. It is exceedingly frustrating.
I tried on a local computer and didnt have the issue. It only happened on our thin clients (which are running win 7 off a network). They generally have no issues - Im hoping someone out there has some ideas, because Alice 2.2 is dated at this point.
Thanks,
Jeff

Interesting Problem
Old
MrMoke

Default Interesting Problem - 06-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Thin clients have a history of not working well with graphic intensive applications, so that would be my focus since it does seem to work on stand-alone workstations.

In the Scene Editor there is a list of current objects in the upper left corner of the window. What happens if you click on the name of the object that you wish to work with before you try to move it? If it is selected, you should then be able to move it without problems. If the rotate circle doesn't light up, it's not selected. Also make sure you are using version 3.1.92 or later.

As far as Alice2 is concerned, you should be using the latest 2.4.2 (June) version. Many problems have recently been repaired, and it is now functioning well. I have recently renewed experiments using Java8 via Jython scripting to enhance a few of my games.

Old
theborland

Default 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the reply.
If I select the item in the upper left the round circle appears and I can rotate orientation of that object, however if attempt to moves it location the focus goes back to background (this).
Thanks again for thinking about my issue,
JB