Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

red hair?
Old
silverlodi

Thumbs down red hair? - 11-11-2008, 08:03 PM

I need to make a guy with red hair, but the he-maker doesn't let me do that, I can only change the skin to red.....is it possible in alice?

Red Hair
Old
DrJim

Default Red Hair - 11-12-2008, 04:40 AM

Make the person in he-maker with the hair style you want. Then export the character as an .a2c file.

Working with a copy of that file (!), unzip the copy and locate the texture file (typically a .png format image file) and edit the texture to give you the hair color you want. The image will be a bit strange - but you can usually figure out what you need to edit.

Now compress the folder with the .a2c files again and import that character into your program.

There are some examples of this approach in the Share Objects section of this forum.

Good luck.

Old
vazin

Default 11-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
Make the person in he-maker with the hair style you want. Then export the character as an .a2c file.

Working with a copy of that file (!), unzip the copy and locate the texture file (typically a .png format image file) and edit the texture to give you the hair color you want. The image will be a bit strange - but you can usually figure out what you need to edit.

Now compress the folder with the .a2c files again and import that character into your program.

There are some examples of this approach in the Share Objects section of this forum.

Good luck.
Dr Jim

using your suggestion, I changed the one object "mad scientist" to a few colors. I got the essence. I want to now use it to create sevevral types of textures. One important question. How do I know which part to chane. Example, looking at Mad Scientist PNG file, i could not find which color reprsents to hair. Any guidance on this., Of course, I used a trial-error to get the hair color sorted out

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: a2w MadScientist-texture.a2w (882.9 KB, 46 views)

Texture hierarchy
Old
DrJim

Default Texture hierarchy - 11-22-2008, 06:53 AM

Textures are applied in the same level as the object hierarchy. In other words, if you change the "Mad Scientist" texture, everything will change. If, however, you just change the hand texture, only the hand (and anything below it in the hierarchy). The latter can be a bit tricky, but generally will work. If you are really going to do complex texture mapping, I suggest you use a program, such as Anim8or, that supports UV texture mapping (2D to 3D) and then import the result into Alice.

Last edited by DrJim; 11-22-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added Anim8or comment

Texture Change Hints
Old
DrJim

Default Texture Change Hints - 11-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Although the "Mad Scientist" is one of my favorite characters - both because he has a talk method and because I sort of identify with him - I had never actually looked at the texture before. I have to agree it is quite confusing.

In addition to having a fairly complex hierarchy, a necessary characteristic for a flexible character, the glasses and the feet seem to be all black so it's hard to guess what part of the texture map they correspond to.

In cases like this, I'd suggest starting with the top level object with no texture and with a solid color. Work your way down through the hierarchy changing the color of each sub-object as you go to make sure that you have a good idea of the actual object structure. Viewing in wire-frame mode during these steps can also be useful.

It is also a good idea to frequently rotate the object a full turn as you are working. Sometimes the lighting makes the color a sub-object look much darker than the texture - look at the difference in the lower legs in the front and side views in the attached.

Working this way, you can also often see that you don't actually have to go as far as editing the actual texture - you can get a lot of effects just by mixing a color with an existing texture, again as shown in the attached.

A final note - if the texture is very dark, such as the glasses for the Mad Scientist, you will have to go to "none" for a texture before the color will show.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two Views.jpg (12.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg MS Texture.jpg (12.5 KB, 62 views)
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Mad Scientist Experiments.a2w (947.8 KB, 33 views)

Tags
hair, he-maker, red