Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Old
Dennis Cosgrove
Alice Developer

Default 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I just tried a new install of Alice 3.0.0.0.60 and it completed successfully but the file alice.bat is zero bytes long . Can someone post the text contents of Alice.bat so I can see if it works?
i am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the installer. below you will find the contents of my Alice.bat file. if you installed Alice to C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta then this should work.

Code:
.\jre1.5.0_17\bin\java -ea -Xmx1024m -Dswing.aatext=true -Dorg.alice.ide.IDE.install.dir="C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta" -Djava.library.path="C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jogl\lib\windows-i586;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\application\windows-i586" -classpath "C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\lg_walkandtouch.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\moveandturn.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\foundation.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\ide.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.59\stage.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\youtube\google-collect-1.0-rc1.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\swingworker\swing-worker-1.2.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\xmlrpc\xmlrpc-client-1.1.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\mailapi.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jogl\lib\gluegen-rt.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\imap.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\pop3.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\smtp.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\dsn.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\youtube\youtube.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jaf\activation.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jogl\lib\jogl.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\mail.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\youtube\jmf.jar" org.alice.stageide.EntryPoint
pause

problem with installer when JAVA_HOME is set
Old
Howard

Smile problem with installer when JAVA_HOME is set - 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Cosgrove View Post
i am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the installer. below you will find the contents of my Alice.bat file. if you installed Alice to C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta then this should work.

Code:
.\jre1.5.0_17\bin\java -ea -Xmx1024m -Dswing.aatext=true -Dorg.alice.ide.IDE.install.dir="C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta" -Djava.library.path="C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jogl\lib\windows-i586;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\application\windows-i586" -classpath "C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\lg_walkandtouch.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\moveandturn.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\foundation.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.60\ide.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\lib\3.0.0.0.59\stage.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\youtube\google-collect-1.0-rc1.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\swingworker\swing-worker-1.2.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\xmlrpc\xmlrpc-client-1.1.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\mailapi.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jogl\lib\gluegen-rt.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\imap.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\pop3.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\smtp.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\lib\dsn.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\youtube\youtube.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jaf\activation.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\jogl\lib\jogl.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\javamail\mail.jar;C:\Program Files\Alice3Beta\ext\youtube\jmf.jar" org.alice.stageide.EntryPoint
pause
Thanks for that. It tried it but it turns out the JRE folder didn't include the java.exe.

I was able to fix the install by removing the JAVA_HOME from my environment. Apparently the installer was using my jdk that was slightly older and couldn't unpack some of the installation. I re-ran the entire installation and it worked perfectly.

Thanks,
Howard

Installer not working with JDK 1.6.0_16
Old
ProfessorO

Default Installer not working with JDK 1.6.0_16 - 08-20-2009, 05:33 PM

I'm running JDK 1.6.0_16 under Windows 7. When I try to run the Alice3 Beta installer (3.0.0.0.61), I'm told I have to supply the --javahome command line option. Apparently Sun's JDK installer points JAVA_HOME to its default JRE instead of the JDK even if you install the latter.

When I add the --javahome option appropriately, I get this error message:

The Java VM at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16 has the unsupported version

This is the latest stable JDK, downloaded from Sun's website last week and installed on a fairly fresh Win7 system. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Update: Sun's JDK doesn't set JAVA_HOME
Old
ProfessorO

Default Update: Sun's JDK doesn't set JAVA_HOME - 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM

It appears Sun's JDK installer doesn't set JAVA_HOME, at least under Windows 7. I set it myself, but the Alice 3.0 Beta installer doesn't seem to recognize that--it still needs the --javahome option added. And the same error is still reported.

Old
koolkoby

Cool 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Does it include windows seven?

Old
lanceA

Default 08-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkoby View Post
Since the final realease of Windows 7 is not scheduled until October of this year, you probably will just have to try it on your Beta-version and see.

Good luck.

Old
ekpalmer

Default 08-22-2009, 06:34 PM

I am running Alice 3.0.0.0.60 on a Windows 7 release canidate.

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Build 7100)

It works (at least somewhat).

I am getting some unexplained freeze ups, but I do not think it is related to 7. I also get freeze ups with XP.

My freeze ups occur during the coding phase as the programs get longer, and I do not have the long of a program so far.

I have not tried Alice 3.0.0.0.61 to see if this helps.

Old
lanceA

Default 08-22-2009, 06:38 PM

[quote=ekpalmer;11556]I am running Alice 3.0.0.0.60 on a Windows 7 release canidate.

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Build 7100)

It works (at least somewhat).

I am getting some unexplained freeze ups, but I do not think it is related to 7. I also get freeze ups with XP.

My freeze ups occur during the coding phase as the programs get longer, and I do not have the long of a program so far.

Without seeing your code it is hard for us to diagnose your problem.

Windows 7 (final) IS available ... for some
Old
ProfessorO

Default Windows 7 (final) IS available ... for some - 08-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
Since the final realease of Windows 7 is not scheduled until October of this year, you probably will just have to try it on your Beta-version and see.

Good luck.
The final release of Windows 7 is available to TechNet and MSDN subscribers, including MSDNAA. College/University CS departments can get an MSDNAA subscription for fairly low cost--or if you have a Microsoft Campus Agreement, one free MSDNAA subscription may already be included. Check out msdnaa.com or ask your IT department.

Does the development team have access to a final release of Window 7? I'd be happy to test things out for you on my machine ... if I could get past the JDK 1.6.0_16 problem I mentioned above. Help! Thanks!

Old
RobertH

Default 09-18-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkoby View Post
Anything that is compatible with Windows Vista is compatible with Windows 7.