Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I get more precise collision detection?
Old
sophist42

Unhappy How do I get more precise collision detection? - 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM

Hello Alice gods and goddesses! One of my students is having a strange problem that defies conventional explanation. She is trying to create a game where the screen is surrounded by walls and the user dies if he bumps into any of those walls. She did this by creating a list of Cube objects for each wall and then using a "For all together" loop to check proximity for each list.

The strange thing is, the program registers the event as long as the collision distance is sufficiently large (around 1.25). But then it looks kind of bad -- the event happens before the actual collision. If the distance is reduced, then the collision does not happen any more -- the user just passes through the cube.

Can someone please take a look at the attached program and tell me why collision detection doesn't work if the distance is decreased?

Many thanks!
Roger Wistar
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Snake.a2w (2.06 MB, 2 views)

It's all about proximity
Old
MrMoke

Default It's all about proximity - 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM

The measurement is based on your characters proximity to the "center point" of the three axes of each of your cubes. If the cubes are too large, the corners are far enougn away from the center to make them passable.

Problem = lack of perspective
Old
sophist42

Default Problem = lack of perspective - 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoke View Post
The measurement is based on your characters proximity to the "center point" of the three axes of each of your cubes. If the cubes are too large, the corners are far enougn away from the center to make them passable.
That seemed to be the problem -- darn that 3D perspective!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 05-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Make each of the cubes squares and change the proximity to the camera's distance in front of each square. Just makes sure all of the squares are facing inward.

The X-man is correct
Old
MrMoke

Default The X-man is correct - 05-19-2011, 09:49 PM

However, there are a few issues that you will still have to deal with. the attached World demonstrates a couple of them. Nuthin wirth doin is evr eezzy. Oops, There goes my spelling again
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Collision with front of Square.a2w (658.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by MrMoke; 05-20-2011 at 07:51 AM.