Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Alice in Latin America, in spanish and in GNU/Linux
Old
aguerra

Default Alice in Latin America, in spanish and in GNU/Linux - 02-17-2006, 05:48 PM

Greetings, my name is John Alexis Guerra Gómez, and i'm teacher of the Technological University of Pereira, Risaralda, Colombia, SurAmerica, we are changing the curriculum of our career and we are trying to use Alice in our second grade course of programming.

I'm the person in charge of the project, but we have found some problems to found good documentation and some other problems, so I'm writing you to ask for help. Can you give some documentation about techniques of implementing the tool in our university?, and other documentation about the program?

I'm the director of a investigation group in "Software Libre" (free software) so we like GNU/Linux a lot, so we are thinking in port alice to GNU/Linux, what do you think of that?, may you help us?, i had download the source code, but i got no idea of how to compile it, may you help me

I'm also interested in translate the tool to spanish so our students can use it easily, can you guide me in that?

Sorry for my English

Our investigation group:

http://pulpa.utp.edu.co

Our degree site

http://isc.utp.edu.co

our University site

http://www.utp.edu.co

my email aguerra at utp.edu.co

tks for your time

John Alexis Guerra Gómez
Docente IngenierÃ*a de Sistemas y Computación
Universidad Tecnológica de Pereira
Director Semillero de Investigación PULPA

Material de referencia de Alice en Español
Old
chuck

Default Material de referencia de Alice en Español - 02-18-2006, 07:44 PM

Hola Profesor Guerra Gomez,

Perdone, mi Español no es eso bueno. Le estoy enviando una copia de un poco de material de referencia de Alice. Es Inglés, y copyrighted por mi editor. Puede ser que estén interesados si usted o sus colegas quisiera traducirlo a Español.

Hay también mucha gente usando a Alicia en Ciudad de México. Intentaré conseguir una dirección emial para ponerle en tacto con ella.

Espero que todo entre bien en su trabajo con Alicia. Déjeme saber cuándo usted consigue el material.

Chuck Herbert
Community College of Philadelphia
cherbert@ccp.edu

Thanks for answer
Old
aguerra

Default Thanks for answer - 02-19-2006, 07:29 PM

Thanks for your answer, where did you send me the document?, please re send it to

aguerra[at]utp.edu.co

I'm interested in the translation, what's the next step?

John

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 02-19-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Hola Profesor Guerra Gomez,

Perdone, mi Español no es eso bueno. Le estoy enviando una copia de un poco de material de referencia de Alice. Es Inglés, y copyrighted por mi editor. Puede ser que estén interesados si usted o sus colegas quisiera traducirlo a Español.

Hay también mucha gente usando a Alicia en Ciudad de México. Intentaré conseguir una dirección emial para ponerle en tacto con ella.

Espero que todo entre bien en su trabajo con Alicia. Déjeme saber cuándo usted consigue el material.
Please, when posting in a language that is not english, translate your text. Thanks!

question about alice's source code
Old
victor

Default question about alice's source code - 02-28-2006, 11:59 PM

I am a student of the Technological University of Pereira, and with Alexis Guerra, we are trying to port the Alice in GNU/Linux but i dont know how to compile the Alice's source code. I ask myself about the tool used to compile it or the files distribution of the source code
Can you advise me with that?

Sorry for my English

Victor Edier Urrea
e-mail's
victored at utp.edu.co
victoredier at gmail.com

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 03-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
I am a student of the Technological University of Pereira, and with Alexis Guerra, we are trying to port the Alice in GNU/Linux but i dont know how to compile the Alice's source code. I ask myself about the tool used to compile it or the files distribution of the source code
Can you advise me with that?
We have received several requests recently for a Linux port of Alice. We are in the works of porting it and will hopefully have a release out in the near future. We will make an announcement on the forums and on the Alice.org front page when it is available. Check back regularly!

Old
chombee

Default 03-20-2006, 07:43 AM

Bit late since it seems you're already working on a port, but just to add my weight to this.

I'm a first year PhD student at The University of Edinburgh, I've been using Panda3D (the 3D engine on which Alice is based, which already runs on Linux), and I'm interested in using Alice for my PhD work. At Edinburgh, the school of informatics runs more or less entirely on GNU/Linux and there are a lot of people here who really like Linux.

Hence, I think we would like to see a Linux version!

With Panda I began working on a terrain renderer module, which is currently missing from Panda. You can find my beta code for that on the Panda forums, though I would like to I haven't been able to commit to finishing it properly, since I keep getting distracted by the need to come up with a research proposal.

I'm interested in the teaching of first-year computer science concepts here at Edinburgh as a research topic, and I think the Alice idea of interactive, animated and spatial visualisation of OO concepts is cool. I would actually be quite interested in working on a Linux port of Alice myself, or in helping to port Alice to Linux, but I expect the people who developed Alice in the first place would be in a much better position to do this.

Alice in Python?
Old
aguerra

Default Alice in Python? - 03-24-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
We have received several requests recently for a Linux port of Alice. We are in the works of porting it and will hopefully have a release out in the near future. We will make an announcement on the forums and on the Alice.org front page when it is available. Check back regularly!
Ok thanks for your answer, however if you guys need another hand in the development i would be interested, especially for the spanish interface, and of course the GNU/Linux port.

I have another question, i had read some papers of the early development of alice, when python was used for scripting, are still there some part of the code in python, or it never exists?, if you switch from it to Java, what was the reasons?

Thanks again,

Old
chombee

Default 03-25-2006, 06:18 AM

I've been reading as many Alice related papers as I can find as well, and Iwas wondering why the switch from Python to Java too.

Most of the papers I was able to find seemed to deal with the first version of Alice, I wonder if there are any more recent research papers available?

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 03-27-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguerra
I have another question, i had read some papers of the early development of alice, when python was used for scripting, are still there some part of the code in python, or it never exists?, if you switch from it to Java, what was the reasons?
Alice 2.0 was completely rewritten in Java. There are some traces of Python used for prototyping, but none of that is executed. There are numerous reasons why we switched from Python, one major reason being better support for stack traces. Basically we feel Python is better for prototyping, but for the real product, Java is the way to go.