Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Bugs and Troubleshooting

Can't create Java VM
Old
dlnw

Default Can't create Java VM - 11-04-2006, 12:08 PM

I am trying to run Alice 2.0 on Windows XP. I get this error message when I try to run it: Can't create Java VM. Anything I can do to remedy this?

Thanks.

Old
Shadow Sovereign

Default 11-04-2006, 01:52 PM

I don't have this problem on my box, and I normally don't use Java, but maybe my input may help, at least a little. Have you tried searching online for a downloadable Java applet or program?

Old
dlnw

Default 11-04-2006, 02:08 PM

I was able to run the program by running a file called IfAliceFailsTryThis.exe. This will do until I find the source of my problem.

Thanks.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 11-05-2006, 12:17 AM

dlnw,

I'm going to see if I can find out why this might be happening. I'm not sure if this error points to a specific cause or whether it could be one of 1000 different things. Does your computer meet the minimum specs? Are you running anything uncommon, like Vista or an x64 OS? Any info at all would be helpful.

Can't create Java VM
Old
Edithzia

Default Can't create Java VM - 12-13-2008, 01:18 PM

I had the same problem, and the problem is that you extract wrongly from the zip file. You have to select all the files, and then click on button "Extract", then you have to select a folder where you want to extract Alice, and that's all. This action will create the correct folders and subfolders which are necessary to run the program. I hope this is helpful

Expanding on Edithzia's Can't Create Java VM
Old
ProfAdam

Thumbs up Expanding on Edithzia's Can't Create Java VM - 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks, Edithzia, for you guidance. Your reply was most helpful. In the hope that additional details may prove beneficial to others in the future I am including the following.

EXTRACTING THE FILES CORRECTLY
In my case, using Winzip 7.0 SR-1 to extract the files, I needed to CHECK the "Use Folder Names" option. This retained Alice's directory/folder structure. In previous unzips I did not use this option and would subsequently see the "Can't create Java VM" message when I tried executing either Alice.exe or her slow-and-steady version. Previously the Alice folder contained one folder "Required" and (incorrectly) a large number of files.

ALICE'S CORRECT FOLDER STRUCTURE
Specifically in the Alice folder now there are only two files ("Alice.exe", "SlowAndSteadyAlice.exe") and one Folder "Required". Within the Required folder I see 13 other folders and 10 files. Alice is working now.