Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Alice and Vista compatibility?
Old
gabe
Administrator

Default Alice and Vista compatibility? - 02-08-2007, 12:22 PM

I have received a few inquiries about Alice and Windows Vista compatibility. Our campus computer store will not get Vista in until late February/early March, so we will not be able to do any testing ourselves until that point.

If any of you are brave enough to be one of the Vista early adopters and even braver still to be an Alice user , please let me know your findings. Ideally we would not need to put out a special release for Vista, but if there is significant performance degradation and bugs cropping up, the sooner we can find the problems, the sooner we can get something released.

Note that our bug database is down, so please report either to this thread or to me at alice-admin@cs.cmu.edu.

Vista Compatability
Old
awbgeek10

Default Vista Compatability - 02-08-2007, 09:40 PM

I tried Alice on Vista Beta 2 and did not have much luck. Alice runs but you do not have any objects that show, the visual window is black. Nothing works. A reminder is that this was on Beta 2.Post w/ any questions.

Old
lanceA

Default 02-12-2007, 10:43 AM

I installed Vista over the weekend and Alice 2.0 runs with no problems.

I installed Windows Vista Business, version 6 (Build 6000) on a Gateway machine with a Pentium D, 3 ghz processor and 2 gig of ram with a gForce 6600 video card. Alice 2.0 runs very smoothly on this 32 bit OS.

However Vista errors when trying to update the sound driver for my machine and as a result I can not confirm that sound works properly with Alice and Vista.

I have not tried to install the Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of Vista.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 02-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Lance,

Thanks for the test. I hadn't thought about compatibility issues that might differ due to the many flavors of Vista. Argh.

Old
madden

Default .... - 02-28-2007, 03:46 PM

Last edited by madden; 02-28-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Old
scarlet

Default 10-14-2007, 03:24 PM

I Installed Alice on vista and it seems to work fine. I noticed a few bugs but I don't know if that is because of windows or Alice. Like I can't seem to "watch" variables when debugging.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 10-14-2007, 06:42 PM

I have never been able to get the debug watch box to work reliably under Windows XP, so that seems to be an old problem.

Dick Baldwin
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Vista and Two Monitors
Old
josborne

Default Vista and Two Monitors - 10-27-2007, 10:44 AM

I recently uncovered a possibly Vista-related issue with two monitors. If you push Alice into the second monitor, it will not let you drag and drop. Otherwise, I can run Alice on the first monitor with Vista Home Premium and the Aero display. Vista automatically switches to Windows Vista Basic color scheme when I start Alice.

I cannot say with certainty that this is a Vista-only issue since I did not have two monitors under WinXP,

Vista headaches...
Old
Wulf

Default Vista headaches... - 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM

Alice works great on my other pc that has Vista Biz edition on it. One small problem I noticed is that when I switch to left handed mouse input (because of severe nerve injury in my right hand) I cannot drag and drop code into the method editor. So basicaly I just switch it to right handed input as a workaround.

Wulf

hello
Old
liao wei

Smile hello - 11-26-2007, 06:40 AM

I am a new man here ,nice to meet you !