Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Strange crashing issue - help!
Old
Callidor

Unhappy Strange crashing issue - help! - 02-27-2009, 09:23 PM

I'm doing the final assignment involving Alice for my class before we begin working exclusively with Java. It involves programming a simon-type memory game, and I was working on it for a very long time. After hours, I was just about finished when I closed it, opened a new world to experiment with something, and then re-opened it.

Upon running the world, it promptly crashed, returning an "error with simulation" message. I undid my last several changes, but couldn't get it to run. In desperation, I copied the entire program into a new world, bit by bit.

It ran. No errors. I closed Alice, re-opened it, and started the world. It promptly crashed. So I had two non-functioning copies of the exact same program. In trying to fix one of the, I made it slightly less complicated. I didn't change anything that was wrong, i just made the program less complex (and as such, less functional).

The world ran without errors...until I closed and restarted.... same thing with the other copy.

Clearly there's no logical error with the program - it's capable of being run..but whenever I restart Alice, it breaks. Is there anything I can do?

Old
pingu

Default 05-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidor View Post
I'm doing the final assignment involving Alice for my class before we begin working exclusively with Java. It involves programming a simon-type memory game, and I was working on it for a very long time. After hours, I was just about finished when I closed it, opened a new world to experiment with something, and then re-opened it.

Upon running the world, it promptly crashed, returning an "error with simulation" message. I undid my last several changes, but couldn't get it to run. In desperation, I copied the entire program into a new world, bit by bit.

It ran. No errors. I closed Alice, re-opened it, and started the world. It promptly crashed. So I had two non-functioning copies of the exact same program. In trying to fix one of the, I made it slightly less complicated. I didn't change anything that was wrong, i just made the program less complex (and as such, less functional).

The world ran without errors...until I closed and restarted.... same thing with the other copy.

Clearly there's no logical error with the program - it's capable of being run..but whenever I restart Alice, it breaks. Is there anything I can do?
you may have two copies of alice running, but otherwise that is very strange, and that shouldn't happen. Check with one of the senior members - they should be able to help.