Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

record option
Old
yammie1122

Default record option - 03-31-2012, 05:14 PM

I was wondering if someone can help me with setting Alice to record and play back.

I'm reviewing the tutorials built into Alice. Looking at Tutorial #3 - the penguin scales. When I follow the steps to set up the record/play/stop buttons, everything seems to work. But when I record a few notes and try to play them back I get a window pop-up on the bottom stating "Item: none"

I attached a screen shot and the Alice world.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen shot.jpg (18.7 KB, 39 views)
Attached Files
File Type: a2w tutorialAlicePenguinScale.a2w (1.74 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by yammie1122; 03-31-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Alice 2.2 (v. 03/1/2012) penguin tutorial record bug
Old
mcohen

Exclamation Alice 2.2 (v. 03/1/2012) penguin tutorial record bug - 04-03-2012, 01:41 AM

I observe the same problem. I guess that the problem is the March '12 release of v. 2.2, since that feature works fine (same .a2w file) with the older (December '11) release. There's nothing in the release notes that even mentions the March '12 release, let alone suggests a reason that the penguin record function might stop working:
http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=...ease_notes_2.2

I hope someone from the Alice team can fix this right away, since our classes start in less than two weeks, and it's awkward to have to try to explain away such inconsistency (between the tutorial instructions and the actual behavior).

As a workaround, i guess one could roll back to the older release, but that's ugly, and might break something else (including whatever it was that motivated the version-up from last year's v. 2.2, including compatibility with Lion).

Michael Cohen
mcohen@u-aizu.ac.jp
University of Aizu
Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima
Japan

Old
yammie1122

Default 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the update. Hopefully they can get this fixed or give us a work around. I have a project due in 3 weeks and it involves using the recording option.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM

I went ahead and fixed the record option, and added a whole lot more features to the tutorial, including being able to click on other penguins while the previous penguin is still singing, clicking a penguin multiple times to make quick duplicate notes (it also deforms the penguin rather hilariously), and best of all, timing support for recorded songs, so you can actually record songs instead of collections of notes that play consecutively.

Let me know if there are any bugs with it and I'll fix 'em.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w tutorialAlicePenguinScale.a2w (1.81 MB, 15 views)

(')>

Old
yammie1122

Default 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Thank you very much. This will help me out tremendously on my final project.

Was the bug in the Alice runtime environment or tutorialAlicePenguinSacle.a2w?
Old
mcohen

Thumbs up Was the bug in the Alice runtime environment or tutorialAlicePenguinSacle.a2w? - 04-04-2012, 06:05 AM

Thanks for amazingly fast turn-around on that bug.
I still don't understand, however, if the problem was in the Alice virtual machine (or whatever it's called) or the tutorial file.
I coulda sworn that the record function didn't work in the latest (March '12) release ("Alice 2.2") but using the same file did work in the previous (December '11) release, even though your posting of a revised tutorialAlicePenguinScale.a2w suggests that at least part of the problem was in that file. That is, unless the bug was in the VM but you used the occasion to freshen up the otherwise functional tutorial file.
But why isn't that file incorporated into the release package?

BTW, it'd be easier to refer to the releases if they had unique numbers. To me, having "v. 2.2.1" etc. is clearer than having multiple "v. 2.2"s. Just my 2.2 cents...

Anyway, tx again for repair. Yabadabadoo!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 04-04-2012, 07:40 AM

The bug is in Alice. Recent versions of Alice are unable to pass parameters more than one level at a time (though I'm told that the most recent release, the 3/1/12 version, doesn't have this bug).

I worked around the problem by setting the parameter to a global dummy variable of the same type, then passing the variable to the next level instead of the parameter.

I personally think that using the M/D/YY date of the release distinguishes them nicely, though I agree that the updates to the same "2.2" version can be confusing.

You're welcome. I'm glad you liked the repair.

(')>

Old
dakota95

Default 04-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii
The bug is in Alice. Recent versions of Alice are unable to pass parameters more than one level at a time (though I'm told that the most recent release, the 3/1/12 version, doesn't have this bug).
Im still using a version I downloaded in August of '11 and it works perfectly fine. I havent found any bugs yet.

<Insert_Signature_Here>

just a couple more questions
Old
mcohen

Question just a couple more questions - 04-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Tx for responsiveness, but i still have a couple more questions.

If the problem with the Penguin tutorial was with the Alice VM, will anything else break due to upgrade from Alice 2.2 of last year to Alice 2.2 of last month? There are many Alice programs that were authored for the older implementation, both locally (at my university) and on the web as examples. Might that parameter passing reimplementation cause some of them to stop working too?

Also, now that the tutorial (#3 with the singing penguins) has been patched, will that revision be folded into the release? To me that seems natural, but when i checked the old version was still embedded. Otherwise we have to patch just that one file in our installation, and new users will encounter the same problem.

Our classes start in a week, so i am anxious to resolve this uncertainty.
Tx.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 04-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Yes, the problem will arise when playing older worlds, but the bug is not in the 3/1/2012 version of Alice, so simply downloading the new version should fix it for all worlds.

And I'm just a community mod. I can help with problems that are posted here, but I don't control what goes in the Alice downloads. The tutorials are in a folder called tutorialWorlds in the Alice 2.2 folder, if you'd like to add the updated version manually.

(')>