Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Computer Science Education Degree
Old
gunny

Default Computer Science Education Degree - 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Does anybody out there have a degree in CS Ed? If so where did you get it? I do not mean a CS degree but a degree or major course work in how to teach CS. I am finding that none of the CS teachers in my area (western Montana) have such or have heard of such. Everybody is on-the-job trained. Replys I have had on other blogs indicate this is the way it is. All the CS teachers in my area are former math or business teachers. Most, but not all, have taken a college programming course or an A+ course. And I thought it was just me.

Old
DrJim

Default 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM

Based both on the listing of degrees on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor's_degree) and my own daughter's experience (in different fields) - I suspect the easiest way to get that type of specialty would be a double major with both colleges (CS and Ed) awarding degrees.

It would be interesting if any school does offer a single degree, however. It really doesn't need to mean extra total hours - just a very careful selection of courses. But some of the educational aspects of such a program might be quite unique.

CS and Ed
Old
gunny

Default CS and Ed - 08-14-2008, 10:00 AM

That is about the only way I have seen. I have both a CS minor and an MA in Math Ed and the things I do not know about teaching CS are becoming very appearent as I try to write a K - 12 CS curriculum.

Old
lanceA

Default 08-14-2008, 11:04 AM

I know of no CS-ED degree, but the University of Maryland offers a combined BS/MS Computer Science degree in 5 years. A good school !

As far as defining a curriculum for K-12 CompSci you can check out Dick Baldwin's site (he teaches Java in Austin, Tex). He has a wealth of "lessons" on his site. Also Stacy Armstrong has a site, www.apluscompsci.com you might find interesting. His lesson plans have been approved by AP; he provides them to others at a nominal cost and you are allowed to add/delete/modify them as you see fit.

Good luck,
lanceA

Last edited by lanceA; 08-15-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: normal amount of typo's